• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

McCarty vs Downey

Rate this topic

I know this topic comes up before every new series, and up until this point it was always a no-brainer to me to play McCarty over Downey, mainly because he has a better history of puck handling and general hockey ability, that somehow continues to float over Downey's head. However, the Pens have been playing a pretty physical game of hockey this post season, including a couple fights, and if I know Babcock (which I do not, but would like to think so) he's telling Stuart, Kronwall, and Drake to give Crosby and Malkin the special treatment, giving the Pens a good reason to start fights with us. If it comes down to that, I would prefer Downey over McCarty. Also, based on the past couple games, Downey seems to be better disciplined than McCarty, and taking a penalty to the Pens really scares me. But first and foremost: if the Pens two losses taught me anything, its that Crosby and Malkin still have their teenage hormones raging through them, and they still get pissed off and lose their cool very easily. If during games three and four either of them are slipped onto the ice while our forth line is out there, I would feel a little more comfortable knowing Downey is flying all over the place.

Not to mention the energy he brings to the table.

Although with Franzen back in the picture, neither one of them could be playing...

Although with Franzen back in the picture, neither one of them could be playing...

I think that's more likely than anything.

Here's my 2 cents. If Franzen is able to play Saturday night, then we obviously have nothing to debate here. However, if Franzen needs just one more game to be cleared, meaning Mac's lone roster spot is the one up for grabs, I think at this point you have to stick with Mac simply due to the fact that Downey hasn't played an NHL game in over a month and a half. Whether he's practicing or not, he's still going to be game-rusty especially given the nerves of his first game back being Game 1 of the SCF's.

Don't get me wrong, I was furious with Mac's horrendous play and decision-making in Game 6, but his decisions that night are something that Babs can talk to him about, and at the same time his TOI can be monitored.

All that being said, even though Downey hasn't played this playoff year, he has played 56 games for the Wings this regular season meaning he's already eclipsed the 41 game minimum to get your name on the Cup if the Wings are fortunate enough to win.

The real question is, can any of you imagine if Kopecky wouldn't have gone down for the season? Imagine this lineup with him added to the mix? SCARY!

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Best case scenario for all would be Franzen returning for game 2, D Mac playing game 1, and the Wings winning in 5.

OK, this only benefits me as I’ll be at game 5 and really want Mac to have his name on the cup one more time.

Best case scenario for all would be Franzen returning for game 2, D Mac playing game 1, and the Wings winning in 5.

OK, this only benefits me as I’ll be at game 5 and really want Mac to have his name on the cup one more time.

They do have exceptions, and I'm fairly certain given that Mac played the entire playoff run up until now would warrant his name on the Cup regardless of not playing in the finals or 41 games in the regular season.

They do have exceptions, and I'm fairly certain given that Mac played the entire playoff run up until now would warrant his name on the Cup regardless of not playing in the finals or 41 games in the regular season.

I think the other stipulation is playing in half of the games your team played in the playoffs if you don't play in a finals game. I'd have to do some searching but I remember discussing this to see if Ric Jackman would get his name on the cup for the Ducks.

I think the other stipulation is playing in half of the games your team played in the playoffs if you don't play in a finals game. I'd have to do some searching but I remember discussing this to see if Ric Jackman would get his name on the cup for the Ducks.

Really? I've never heard that one before. Please let me know if you find something.

Here's my 2 cents. If Franzen is able to play Saturday night, then we obviously have nothing to debate here. However, if Franzen needs just one more game to be cleared, meaning Mac's lone roster spot is the one up for grabs, I think at this point you have to stick with Mac simply due to the fact that Downey hasn't played an NHL game in over a month and a half. Whether he's practicing or not, he's still going to be game-rusty especially given the nerves of his first game back being Game 1 of the SCF's.

Don't get me wrong, I was furious with Mac's horrendous play and decision-making in Game 6, but his decisions that night are something that Babs can talk to him about, and at the same time his TOI can be monitored.

All that being said, even though Downey hasn't played this playoff year, he has played 56 games for the Wings this regular season meaning he's already eclipsed the 41 game minimum to get your name on the Cup if the Wings are fortunate enough to win.

The real question is, can any of you imagine if Kopecky wouldn't have gone down for the season? Imagine this lineup with him added to the mix? SCARY!

What did Kopecky do this season that would have made him a force in the playoffs? His only accomplishment this year was beating up Patrick Sharp.

As far as I'm concerned, Helm has already done more in the playoffs than what Kopecky did the entire regular season. All he did was skate in circles and get knocked on his ass by bodychecks.

Very well written. I agree totally. I would love to see Downey in but I understand.

What did Kopecky do this season that would have made him a force in the playoffs? His only accomplishment this year was beating up Patrick Sharp.

As far as I'm concerned, Helm has already done more in the playoffs than what Kopecky did the entire regular season. All he did was skate in circles and get knocked on his ass by bodychecks.

Are you serious? Kopecky was becoming a force on the ice and was getting better and better in the weeks leading up to his injury. His ice time was climbing and Babcock stated numerous times how impressive he had been.

The playoffs are EXACTLY the type of situation where he would be good. His size, strength, physicality, and willingness to go to the net would be a valuable asset this time of year.

(Not taking anything away from Helm, who has been very impressive).

Back to the topic, if the score is 5-1 Wings, give me Downey over Mac. Anything else, give me....... Abdelkader! :)

Are you serious? Kopecky was becoming a force on the ice and was getting better and better in the weeks leading up to his injury. His ice time was climbing and Babcock stated numerous times how impressive he had been.

The playoffs are EXACTLY the type of situation where he would be good. His size, strength, physicality, and willingness to go to the net would be a valuable asset this time of year.

(Not taking anything away from Helm, who has been very impressive).

Back to the topic, if the score is 5-1 Wings, give me Downey over Mac. Anything else, give me....... Abdelkader! :)

Wonderfully stated on Kopecky, and while thankfully the Wings haven't needed him too badly in the grand scheme of things making it to the SCF, I miss seeing him out there. He was certainly starting to play more intense and throwing his body around before his injury, as others have thankfully recognized.

Assuming he was healthy though as well as everybody else, Neither Downey or McCarty OR Helm would be in the lineup right now.

To the original subject at hand if Franzen isn't back in game one or anytime thereafter, McCarty over Downey. I do not think any of these games are going to be blowouts, and I highly doubt there will be any "fighting" in since these are the most important games of the season. Sure I'd love to see Downey out there, but he hasn't played any playoff games, McCarty has done all you can realistically ask for him in the grand scheme of things this playoff season and where he is at in his career (minus a pretty bad last game) in my opinion. McCarty over Downey right now.