Photo
- - - - -

08-09 Season

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

I was just going through the Wings prospects and latest signings and it seems that the Griffs
could have a very youthful speedy looking roster for next year. I would summise and say that
it could be a very young looking D too. Depending on which of last years Griffs the Wings offer
contract's to as I believe that Ference and Stafford are UFA's this summer. Quincey has to make
the Wings roster as he is out of options to be sent back. Ericsson is not, but I feel that if it was
upto Babs then the big Swede will be with the parent club and Quincey will be lost to waivers.
Don't think the front office will let that happen thou, so I see Jonathan starting the season as a
Griff at least. Kindl will be back as a Griff and needs to tighten up his decision making for sure. He
could be the perfect partner for Ericsson on the 2nd unit. The young lad Pyett will add more skill
to the 3rd pairing for sure next season.There is also an outside chance that big hitting Belarus
prospect Kolosov could be signed by the Wings to. I'd like to see both Brad and Garrett back next
year to, for that experience that the rest of the D will lack.

Up front could be the most exciting factor for Griffs fans. Cullen Corazzini Lemieux and Hartigan are
all out of contrac this summer, with C Oulahen becoming an RFA. Will the Wings retain any of these
guys? Tardif ,Gelech, McGrath and Ritola are all signed on 2 way deals thru to end of next year at
least and unless one of them has a hell of a camp I see them all wearing a Griffs shirt next season.
Some of the Wings top prospects will also be becoming Griffs next year. Can Helm keep hold of the
Wings spot he has at present? Or will he be heading a list that could include Abdelkader, Emmerton,
Mursak, Axelsson and Finish league scoring leader Leino to Van Andel? With the addition of some
veteran leadership up front to keep the kids in check, it could be a free scoring season all round.

In net we could see an all Swedish tandem, well maybe. Howard looks like he'll be heading to the Wings
and with Berkhoel a UFA could the Griffs have top prospect Larsson vying for the #1 spot with Liv, who
may have another crack at the NHL after another great year in Sweden, probably not.The kid Larsson
looks certain to come over and maybe Berkhoel will be re-signed to mentor the rookie.

All in all, the Griffs have the makings of an entertaining roster next season, on paper that is. Lets hope
the do.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#2 sjradio

sjradio

Now coaching GR

• Gold Booster
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

Liv maybe reconsidering coming back to North America, however... IMHO, I don't think that he will.

Now I am not saying that there is no chance that he won't come back. There is a chance that he may have gotten the initial shock of the north american game out of his system. But if he's given the chance at the number one, then he might come over, which also means that he's going to be the first one called up of Osgood or Howard are out.

There is a good article on Griffins Central (www.griffinscentral.com)

Let the Rebuilding Begin Again

It's a little outdated, but still a lot of good info.
Posted Image

#3 josh

josh

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (sjradio @ May 26, 2008 - 12:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Liv maybe reconsidering coming back to North America, however... IMHO, I don't think that he will.

Now I am not saying that there is no chance that he won't come back. There is a chance that he may have gotten the initial shock of the north american game out of his system. But if he's given the chance at the number one, then he might come over, which also means that he's going to be the first one called up of Osgood or Howard are out.

There is a good article on Griffins Central (www.griffinscentral.com)

Let the Rebuilding Begin Again

It's a little outdated, but still a lot of good info.
yea i mean they won all but the championchip p.s are u a Member from 2k hockey.net?

#4 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

yea i hope that "hat trick dick", cory emmerton, jan mursak, and pyett come to GR next year. I go to GV so i'll be able to see them all the time =D

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#5 sjradio

sjradio

Now coaching GR

• Gold Booster
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (josh @ May 28, 2008 - 09:04AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea i mean they won all but the championchip p.s are u a Member from 2k hockey.net?

Yup, I found the theme from PASS Sports in our music library and remixed it in the same manner as PASS used and posted it on 2khockey.. I heard the Griffins use that theme during an intermission and was so shocked when I heard it at Van Andel.
Posted Image

#6 josh

josh

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (sjradio @ June 1, 2008 - 10:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, I found the theme from PASS Sports in our music library and remixed it in the same manner as PASS used and posted it on 2khockey.. I heard the Griffins use that theme during an intermission and was so shocked when I heard it at Van Andel.
good job it sounds great and how about those wings 11 time cup champions!!

#7 Henkka

Henkka

Finnish Wing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

Probable roster:

Ritola - Emmerton - Haydar
Mursak - McGrath - Pare
Gelech - Helm - Abdelkader
Lemieux - Oulahen - Tardif
(Leino)

Leino could replace McGrath at 2nd line, if he stays at North America.

Ericsson - Pyett
Kindl - Galvin
Kolosov - Josza

Howard
Larsson

I think the core is quite ready, 13+6+2 players signed including Leino.
user posted imageuser posted image

#8 Zata fan 40

Zata fan 40

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

looks better to me than last year
c:\documentsandsettings\amy\mydocuments\homefortheholidays

#9 Dump-N-Thump

Dump-N-Thump

We're coming for you Jackman!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:24 PM

I like it because it's filled with prospects that could potentialy make our team..

I read on MLive that Macnamara is looking for a gritty, get your nose dirty type forward and a top flight defensmen still..

Right now i live about 20 minutes away from GR, i might think about getting Season Tickets.. Its between Griffins and Fury.. Not sure if i wanna support local hockey that could be going out of business or hockeytown west.

I may just be a weekday warrior, I kinda hate when its crowded at the van andel.. On wensdays/thursdays its usualy prety empty.

#10 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

now that i have a car up at grand valley this year, my buddies and i will make it to many games....im excited to see how much more our team produces this yr

we added four really good offensive guys, one already ahl proven in haydar...then we add emmerton and mursak, them and hat trick dick are like the only real strong offensive guys in the wings system now that grigs is gone

oh and leino is a beast

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#11 Scotty

Scotty

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

Don't get your hopes up to high about the Griffins. Last year everybody thought they were going to score like it was going out of style and win the Calder Cup without breaking a sweat. The success of this season for Grand Rapids will depend on how quickly the 1st year pros do (Larsson, Pyett, Kolosov, Emmerton, Mursak, Leino, Abdelkader, etc.). Howard not letting soft goals in every other shot would help. Alot.

One more thing: "Hat Trick Dick" is playing in Sweden this year!!! He will not be in Grand Rapids until next year at the earliest!!!

Goodbye: Hossa, Kopecky, Conklin, Samuelsson, Haydar, Hudler
Stayin' Put: Leino
Welcome: Newbury, Williams, Ehrhardt, Janik

#12 Coyote0106

Coyote0106

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Scotty @ October 5, 2008 - 05:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get your hopes up to high about the Griffins. Last year everybody thought they were going to score like it was going out of style and win the Calder Cup without breaking a sweat. The success of this season for Grand Rapids will depend on how quickly the 1st year pros do (Larsson, Pyett, Kolosov, Emmerton, Mursak, Leino, Abdelkader, etc.). Howard not letting soft goals in every other shot would help. Alot.

One more thing: "Hat Trick Dick" is playing in Sweden this year!!! He will not be in Grand Rapids until next year at the earliest!!!

It seemed like last year everyone said the team looked good on paper. This team will be able to do much more than last year (but then again, just about any team could). The salary cap is REALLY going to help the Griffs, because we're going to get the likes of Helm and Leino.

And as much as Howard did let in some bad goals, he saved our necks alot of times, too.

Edited by Coyote0106, 05 October 2008 - 08:24 PM.

When life passes you by, downshift.
Go Griffins!

#13 Ti-girl

Ti-girl

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

Why would Helm be centreing the third line?