• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
csf2007

Pittsburgh fans

Rate this topic

I live near the Ohio/Pennsylvania border in a region where Cleveland has the majority of the sports fans but there is also a very significant Pittsburgh base. That having been said, we see Steelers apparel all the time; with the Browns being classically bad (until last year) it made sense for the fair-weather types to wear Steelers gear. What amazes me is the absolute lack of Penguins and Pirates apparel by these same fans; at least until a few days ago. Now that the Penguins are good again the Pittsbugh "fans" are popping up all over the place! I understand that it's easier being a fan off a good team, but this has the recipe for labeling most Pittsburgh fans as fair-weather fans.

It's the same thing in southern california. Whenever I wear my wings jersey out, its about 50% high fives, 30% go ducks, and 20% penguins blah blah crosby slurp slurp. It's like, where the hell did that come from?

I live near the Ohio/Pennsylvania border in a region where Cleveland has the majority of the sports fans but there is also a very significant Pittsburgh base. That having been said, we see Steelers apparel all the time; with the Browns being classically bad (until last year) it made sense for the fair-weather types to wear Steelers gear. What amazes me is the absolute lack of Penguins and Pirates apparel by these same fans; at least until a few days ago. Now that the Penguins are good again the Pittsbugh "fans" are popping up all over the place! I understand that it's easier being a fan off a good team, but this has the recipe for labeling most Pittsburgh fans as fair-weather fans.

Well any franchise wants to do well, because until they do merchandise doesn't sell, tickets don't sell, and so on. Pittsburg couldn't sell out a game a few years ago, now the stadium is packed. Same thing occured in Tampa Bay, but even though Tampa Bay actually won the cup.....their merchandise sales basically vanished by the end of the next year. I forget where I read that report, but it was basically comparing the popularity of a team during and after a cup win.

I would say a fair number of people in Detroit became redwings fans in 95, 97, 98, or 2002 during the finals or conference finals :) In fact, I am positive of it.

Every starts as a fair weather fan anyway. I haven't met many people who were born a sports fan. Usually your team has to do fairly well in order for you to really get into the sport.

I like to differentiate. There are "new" fans, who just got into the sport due to a winning team. Then there are fair weather fans, who year after year, only show up when the team is doing well, and show no support when they're doing bad.

I can't stand bandwagon fans. I feel bad for you csf2007 with USC right in your backyard. I can't stand the fact that sports outlets pick a sweetheart and turn them into a sensation overnight, whether it's deserved or not.

I'll expose my self to flaming here.....

The NHL NEEDS new fans....any circumstance that creates new fans is good for the NHL....

For arguments sake...say the Pens do lose the series....if 1/3 of the "new" fans stick around, because they realize they enjoy NHL hockey...isnt this a good thing?

ANYTHING that creates new interest in this league is a good thing. Die hard "old school" NHL fans bash these "new" fans...but be careful what you bash....without new fans...our beloved NHL may be headed down the dinosaur highway....

Well any franchise wants to do well, because until they do merchandise doesn't sell, tickets don't sell, and so on. Pittsburg couldn't sell out a game a few years ago, now the stadium is packed. Same thing occured in Tampa Bay, but even though Tampa Bay actually won the cup.....their merchandise sales basically vanished by the end of the next year. I forget where I read that report, but it was basically comparing the popularity of a team during and after a cup win.

I would say a fair number of people in Detroit became redwings fans in 95, 97, 98, or 2002 during the finals or conference finals :) In fact, I am positive of it.

Every starts as a fair weather fan anyway. I haven't met many people who were born a sports fan. Usually your team has to do fairly well in order for you to really get into the sport.

I like to differentiate. There are "new" fans, who just got into the sport due to a winning team. Then there are fair weather fans, who year after year, only show up when the team is doing well, and show no support when they're doing bad.

Unless you are devoted to your city. I live in Windsor but nevertheless, love Detroit sports as any Detroiter would.

This includes the Lions. And it has been this way since birth.

It will just be that much better when the Lions win a Superbowl ...God knows when that will be. :paperbag3:

.. just kidding about the paper bag. I'm proud to be a Lions fan.

The NHL NEEDS new fans....any circumstance that creates new fans is good for the NHL....

For arguments sake...say the Pens do lose the series....if 1/3 of the "new" fans stick around, because they realize they enjoy NHL hockey...isnt this a good thing?

ANYTHING that creates new interest in this league is a good thing. Die hard "old school" NHL fans bash these "new" fans...but be careful what you bash....without new fans...our beloved NHL may be headed down the dinosaur highway....

I agree, even though I really dislike bandwagon fans... <_< Then I have to sit back and think... and I'd rather the NHL get more fans even if it pisses me off now.

Unless you are devoted to your city. I live in Windsor but nevertheless, love Detroit sports as any Detroiter would.

This includes the Lions. And it has been this way since birth.

It will just be that much better when the Lions win a Superbowl ...God knows when that will be. :paperbag3:

.. just kidding about the paper bag. I'm proud to be a Lions fan.

Much respect to you...I actually where Pirates shirts......

What he said.

Really, there's nothing bandwagonish about kindling your interest in the hometown team because they've become successful. Remember when Mikey I. couldn't sell out the Joe even by giving away a new car at every game?

Bandwagon fans are those that hop on and off, or those that root for say the Lakers despite living in Cleveland.

Successful teams draw interest. It happens. The key for the NHL is keeping them. Especially after the Pens get completely crushed in the Finals ;)

yeah, i know what you're saying when a team finds some success and suddenly everyone has the jerseys, to me it's just funny ... not sure you can blame someone for jumping on the bandwagon though, at that point they're just new fans ... to me, a fairweather fan is determined when the team sucks again and the jerseys start to disappear, seats start to empty ... there's nothing wrong if someone becomes a fan during the good times and then sticks it out from then on ...

It was kind of like when the Rockies made their run to the World Series this past season. Everyone was suddenly a Rockies fan. Just like with any other team they had their die hard fan base who have been fans from the beginning but I know a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon. I have to admit, I am not as huge of a baseball fan as I am of Hockey but what the Rockies was just awesome and totally unexpected and it was fun to be a part of. We found ourselves coming home to watch playoff baseball every night. It was a rush while it lasted, that's for sure...

Funny thing is, all of a sudden there's sure a lot of Red Sox fans in Colorado. <_<

I do agree the league needs new fans.

I also believe the best teams should win. Typically the best teams have the most fans.

So it's kind of a paradox. Let a crap team win like Carolina, and get a few new fans. Or, let good teams with good fans win.

There's not really a middle ground.

Anaheim, Tampa Bay, and Carolina each won cups....and it really didn't do much at all for the league. So simply having fresh new teams win, really won't solve the dilemma.

My question with pittsburg is if they lose, how many of those fans will watch every single game they can next year? And how many will simply wait around until they get back to the finals again, to show any support?

I know I watched at least 70 Wings games this year. I spent $300 to get the NHL package where I live, so I could watch them all. I'm also flying home to Detroit for games 3 through 7, an endeavor that will cost me a bit over a thousand dollars. I haven't missed a single playoff game in nine years.

And, there are fans more fanatic than myself out there :)

That said, my point is......it does no good to have crappy teams win, because it just brings fans out of the woodwork and they go right back into it when the team doesn't do well anymore.

I think Pittsburg first off, had a lot of fans to begin with. Secondly, a lot of these fans will stick around. Pittsburgh is a good team to have in the finals at every level, both for skill, and for fanbase. You'd have to be a moron to give up on Pittsburgh even if they do lose the finals. But....places like Carolina, Tampa, Anaheim? Those fans don't actually watch hockey :-p

Anaheim, Tampa Bay, and Carolina each won cups....and it really didn't do much at all for the league. So simply having fresh new teams win, really won't solve the dilemma.

I don't think you can say this in such a short term.

For one thing, I don't agree. League revenue has been going up since the lockout, hence the skyrocketing salary cap.

But I've always felt you need a generation of fans to grow up with the team in order for them to really take root. Simply enough, the NHL is behind the curve because it had 6 teams when the other leagues had 16, it had 12 when the other leagues had 24, and so on. I think it takes 20-25 years to grow a lasting fan base, so that kids have a chance to grow up with their team.