• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aflac9262

SCF Game 3 GDT: Penguins 3, Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

Our PP looks best when Lidstrom is shooting from the point towards the center of the blue line. He needs to be more assertive out there.

Assertive has nothing to do with it -- the Penguins high PKers are jumping out on him and Rafalski. The puck needs to be moved, and moved QUICK, to get those guys out of position to open up a shot. The problem is that tonight they delayed/held on to the puck a bit too long on the halfboards waiting for something to open up.

If they're going to cheat high the team needs to take advantage of it. The forwards (Pavel) that sit out there on the halfboards need to just cut in toward the net instead of just skating straight into the zone to draw the defender down.

I don't know why but this loss doesn't bother me in the least bit. It's kinda weird, but it's just that I feel extremely great about Game 4.

For those bitching: Seriously..do you expect the Wings to go up 3-0 in every series and play perfect hockey in every game? Because I sure as hell don't. Some of you have unreal expectations. Losses are going to happen every now and then and it's always a good reminder to a team that they can and will play better. They will be fine.

:clap:

How much it impacted the outcome of the game is up for debate, but the ice surface was surely poor tonight. Pierre was standing right at ice level and they were discussing it matter of factly on the NBC feed.

Meh... puck was bouncing a lot and maybe Pittsburgh is a bit more used to it but I don't think it had any effect on the end result. The Wings came ridiculously close several times but it wasn't to be tonight.

Assertive has nothing to do with it -- the Penguins high PKers are jumping out on him and Rafalski. The puck needs to be moved, and moved QUICK, to get those guys out of position to open up a shot. The problem is that tonight they delayed/held on to the puck a bit too long on the halfboards waiting for something to open up.

If they're going to cheat high the team needs to take advantage of it. The forwards (Pavel) that sit out there on the halfboards need to just cut in toward the net instead of just skating straight into the zone to draw the defender down.

My thoughts exactly, Matt. I felt the forwards on the halfboards shot less in game 3 than either of the other 2 games, and it's not like they were shooting much in those games, either. That's the shot they're being given, they need to take it. Go to the net, screen the goalie, hope for a rebound and be there to poke it in if you get one.

With that said, Cleary should not be out there on the PP. He holds the puck too long, and seems confused on what to do with it. The decision making has to be quicker.

???

Again, you think it was better in Dallas?

Cmon I think Bettman is a turd but this is rediculous.

I was never worried about us winning on the road in Dallas or in Colorado. This is a different story.

And Bettman is behind every problem facing this world. You couldn't even fathom just how far his reach goes.

With that said, Cleary should not be out there on the PP. He holds the puck too long, and seems confused on what to do with it. The decision making has to be quicker.

Maybe so but he was the only guy winning face offs in the O zone tonight.

Sorry GMR if it seems I after you a little lol.

Edited by NHLrules?

Disagree, he was a stud for us in the playoffs last year.

As a pro-Cheli guy, I'd like to see him back in there, but at the same time, I have a hard time justifying benching one of the current six right now. Stuart's not going anywhere for one bad game after being nails for pretty much this whole run. Lilja...I don't know...I counted three fairly bad TOs by him in the last two games, but at the same time, none led to goals and he's been fairly steady otherwise. He also adds a degree of physicality that Cheli no longer has.

If we lose game 4 and sloppy 1st passes continue to be an issue, I fully expect Cheli in for game 5, because that is something where he's a clear upgrade over Lilja.

Thats where you are wrong. If that were the case Lilja would be in the press box. Chelios wasn't hurt in game five of the Dallas series, he played terrible and that terrible play led to the GWG.

Everyone loves the story of Chelios but theres a difference between a nice story and winning the cup. Chelios can't get it done against Malkin-Crosby-Hossa. Lilja can, because at least he brings a physical presence.

Acting as if one bad pass from Lilja is a major problem is discounting the couple times a game Chelios would have ultimately turned the puck over.

Hes a great steal and story at $500,000 but its not worth losing the cup over to keep it going.

We need a fast, physical defenseman, that isn't Lilja, that isn't Lebda and that certainly isn't Chelios.

Having experience only takes a player so far.

Damn you, Kristen Bell!!! :lol:

So I hadn't heard about the lovely Miss Bell's crush on Ozzie until you guys mentioned it.....I know if I'd have heard that she had a crush on me I'd have told the coach I was sick and invited her to watch the game with me while I recovered.......

She needs to show up to a game so they'll stop talking about Sidney Crosby.....and since she's in Heroes it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.......a guy can dream can't he?

So I hadn't heard about the lovely Miss Bell's crush on Ozzie until you guys mentioned it.....I know if I'd have heard that she had a crush on me I'd have told the coach I was sick and invited her to watch the game with me while I recovered.......

She needs to show up to a game so they'll stop talking about Sidney Crosby.....and since she's in Heroes it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.......a guy can dream can't he?

Hed be all over 5 hole if she showed up.

And maybe 6 hole too.

Edited by NHLrules?

She might be our version of the Jessica Simpson curse.

I don't think that can be really singled out with Cleary, he made a few solid plays tonight. He's a guy you want out there crashing the crease.

I thought I was the only superstitious one..

I had the Z jersey on for the 1st two Pen goals.

I removed the jersey and set it on the couch.

The Wings netted a goal.

I left it on the coach.

Prior 2 games I hadn't put the jersey ON until after the first goal in each.

re-read my post.

i didn't say that the mule was jinxed, but the shirt itself has been bad luck so far.

btw... both goals were scored after the shirt was removed. ;)

Ok seriously. I was REALLY ticked off tonight after they won. :ranting::angry:

But now that I've calmed down enough to where I can think/see straight, it was a tough game all around, for both teams. The Wings didn't look their best. Actually most of the game I was quite concerned. The Penguins looked - I hate to say it - pretty good. <_<

It's hard for me personally to come to grips with the fact that the Wings aren't perfect. I mean I think we ALL have high expectations of them. They set a high standard, so we don't expect anything less, but they AREN'T perfect! Everyone needs to calm down! They're still our RedWings and we love them win or lose, right?! :)

The only real gripe I have is against the Refs! Is it me or were there calls that should've been made on the Peguins that weren't? Like the interference/hooking/tripping (take your pick) call that should've been on the Peguin against Holmstrom when he twisted in the air and flew into the net?!?! I guess, since it's against Holmstrom, it's ok. There were numerous would-be penalties that SHOULD'VE been called! :ranting:

Anyway - I LOVE the Wings! They are still the greatest NHL team EVER!!!!

GO WINGS!

But now that I've calmed down enough to where I can think/see straight, it was a tough game all around, for both teams. The Wings didn't look their best. Actually most of the game I was quite concerned. The Penguins looked - I hate to say it - pretty good. <_<

It's hard for me personally to come to grips with the fact that the Wings aren't perfect. I mean I think we ALL have high expectations of them. They set a high standard, so we don't expect anything less, but they AREN'T perfect! Everyone needs to calm down! They're still our RedWings and we love them win or lose, right?! :)

The only real gripe I have is against the Refs! Is it me or were there calls that should've been made on the Peguins that weren't? Like the interference/hooking/tripping (take your pick) call that should've been on the Peguin against Holmstrom when he twisted in the air and flew into the net?!?! I guess, since it's against Holmstrom, it's ok. There were numerous would-be penalties that SHOULD'VE been called! :ranting:

GO WINGS!

Not me. I still feel like punching cement until my hand breaks.

I guess some people take losses better than others.

GO WINGS!

the reffing wasn't all that bad tonight. Sure thee were a couple missed calls but when are there NOT? You can't catch everything but they did pretty good tonight. We got a PP with 3 minutes left down by 1 goal. That's OUR fualt for not capitalizing, not the refs fault we didn't have more PP's. The worst missed call was the high stick on nick...he was bleeding from it which mean if it was caught it would have ben a 4 minute PP. Aside from that there were only a couple missed calls I saw but I saw them going the other way too, Mule set a pick at one point and quite frankly in hockey that's called interference most the time but overall it was an evenly called game and this is coming from someone who HATES O'halloran(i'm pretty sure we all do, but whatever).