• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckloo39

NHL Awards luncheon (May 28)

Rate this topic

transcript from NHL.com

Our goalies were unable to attend, so Kenny Holland and Jim Bedard (goalie coach) picked up the Jennings for Dom and Ozzie:

"The William M Jennings is an annual award given to the goal keepers who played a minimum of 25 games for the team, that allowed the few west goals against in the regular seasons. This year's winners, Hockey Town's Chris Osgood and Dominik Hasek.

Okay. We toyed with the idea of sending a camera crew over to the hotel and waking them up in the middle of their afternoon naps for a live conference, but then we pictured the look that Mike Babcock would have on his face. That was scary enough. We didn't have to do that, anyway, because we have a couple of representatives from the Wings here to accept the award on behalf of Dominik Hasek and Chris Osgood. Please welcome the GM of the Red Wings, Ken Holland, and Assistant Coach in goaltending guru, Jim Bedard. Gentlemen.

JIM BEDARD: I talked to Chris and Dom, obviously just before coming over here today, and definitely they are a little busy. They have some work to do tonight, which is a great thing. But one thing they wanted me to stress was obviously they think of this as a team trophy. They don't think of this as an individual trophy, and they want to make sure that was brought to the forefront.

And I just want to say in closing that it's -- when you see them work as hard as they do and you see two guys from two totally different sets of circumstances, one being a European, a little bit older and Ozzie being the young guy at 35, what they bring every day to practice, this is no surprise to me. And they just want to say thank you very much. "

Nice write up on AO, Mark Messier, Vinny, etc.

Our guys were "too busy" to attend. :hehe:

This could be a season of record trophy-winning for the Wings. We've got the President's Trophy, the Campbell Bowl, and the Jennings in hand. Stanley, Smythe, Norris, Adams, Selke, Masterton and Byng yet to be awarded, and we have I'd say a better than 50/50 shot at six of 'em. Too bad we couldn't get finalists for the Vezina, Calder, and Hart too. Nothing like hogging the hardware :D :D

Almost forgot: Many congrats to Dom and Ozzie. A true tag-team effort. And the suffocating defense this year played a big role too.

At least they remembered that it took two of them to win it. The caption on the Getty Images pictures only mentioned Oz. No mention of Dom at all. That really steamed my clams. Get it right, you putzes.

I just now got home and had a chance to sit down and read this. Thanks for posting it Loo!

Man, how many teams can sit back and say they have TWO goalies as wonderful as these guys? Dom and Ozzie are who I think of when I think "team." They have stuck together this season and look where it's brought them. They are truly something special!

Um, why are these awards given out now and not after the final?

I'd like to know that too. Why not give them out at the ceremony with the rest of the awards? Granted, we already know who has won them, unlike the ones that are more arbitrary in nature, but why not do them at the same time as the others so all the guys can be there?

I'd love to see Domnozzie up at a podium grinning and giving a little speech. Maybe they could alternate words- in true tandem style. (That was a joke, but it would seriously be funny to listen to if the speech was very short.)