• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Coolio Mendez

Stanley Cup rating?

Rate this topic

PITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Penguins’ first victory over the Detroit Red Wings on NBC drew the best overnight rating for a third game of the Stanley Cup finals in six years.

Pittsburgh’s 3-2 win on Wednesday night earned a 2.8 national rating and an 18.2 rating in Detroit, beating out the 15.9 rating for the Pistons’ matchup with the Boston Celtics.

Game 5 of the NBA’s Eastern Conference finals drew a 5.3 national rating.

The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned into the broadcast among those households with TVs on at the time.

The combination of Games 1, 2 and 3 have made this the highest-rated and most-watched opening games of the Stanley Cup finals since Detroit faced Carolina in 2002.

The rating for Wednesday night’s game represented an 87-percent increase over last year’s Game 3 between Anaheim and Ottawa.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AsJQ...p&type=lgns

The Wings/Pens game 3 pulled in more viewers than the Pistons/ Celtics game 5 only in the great state of Michigan. Impressive I must say.

Detroit's NHL 18.2 rating is only from NBC.

TONS of people in the detroit area watched it on CBC.

A good point.

I'm not convinced it reflects hockey's popularity vs. basketball.....I suspect it has at least as much to do with the fact that the Wings are a round ahead of the Pistons.

i watched the game on NBC yesterday because i figured at least i could do my own part and help out the US ratings...

the first two games i watched were on CBC and the wings were dominant

back to CBC i go...

i watched the game on NBC yesterday because i figured at least i could do my own part and help out the US ratings...

How are ratings determined now a days? Is it still the old survey system with black boxes hooked up to some sets? If so, your switch to NBC wouldn't make a difference. But it may have changed after all these years, I dunno.

Crodley

Hmmm I don't know about that...

I'd say Minnesota.

That may be true, but Michigan is way bigger of a sports state. I know they like their hockey in Minnesota too, but they lack passion for baseball, basketball, and football. Michigan totally owns Minnesota from a sports standpoint and hockey is just as big in Michigan, and in my opinion a bit bigger. I had a chance to play Junior A in Minnesota a few years back and I was thinking that the level of competition and interest would be bigger in Minnesota than in Michigan. Haha the state of hockey??? Yeah Right... I've played on wayyyy more competitive teams in my day in Michigan than Minnesota. The college, junior, and local teams in Michigan are alot more competitive and play better hockey than our friends in Minnesota.

I'm not trying to degrade or downplay Minnesota hockey, they have great things going on there. I'm just speaking from first hand experience and my experiences playing hockey in both states.