• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
babygorilla

Rolston or Sundin.

Rate this topic

Sundin could pull what Selanne and Kariya did a few years back with Colorado and sign 1 year deals for dirt cheap (relatively speaking) for a shot at the Cup. I would LOVE it is Sundin came here if only for a year.

I'm telling you we can have both Rolston and Sundin, plus retain Stuart! 1 year deals for Stuart and Sundin, 3 year deal for Rolston (if he takes a hometown discount, I think Rafi may be able to convince him!)

Rolston and Stuart will not accept 1 year deals. You can absolutely bank on that. Both are coming off good years. Theyll take those stats to the bank on a multi-year contract.

It's not about "pleasing" me.

Bottom line: the Wings won the Cup because of the strength of their top-4 more than anything else. You take away Stuart (who, for the record, I don't think is worth retaining at the price he's rumored to be asking for), and the top-4 is likely going to be weakened -- unless someone is brought in from the outside.

People keep saying, "We have a logjam on the back end!" To that I say, "Sure, maybe in the regular season." Point being, it's nice to talk about a youth movement, but come the playoffs, is Meech or Quincey or any of the other guys on the lower end of the depth chart going to be able to hold down that #3/#4 spot en route to another Cup this coming season? Who knows, maybe a guy like Meech will pull a Franzen and step up big. My original point was merely this: should Stuart leave, Kenny -- who has been extremely cautious in this new cap world -- is probably going to set aside some reserve cash for a potential D signing so that if a regular season youth movement on the blue line doesn't put our top 4/5 where it should be by the trade deadline, he can then go out and get a quality guy ($$$) for the job.

Signing Sundin or Rolston would make this a difficult task. As much as I'd like to see Sundin in the Winged Wheel this coming season, Stuart leaving would leave a legitimate hole in the roster. Doing what it takes to get that hole adequately filled by the trade deadline would be more important than going out and getting a high-priced forward, imo.

Bottom line: The Wings adding a #4 Dman at the deadline will close about 2/3rds less than it would during free agency, and, as a luxury move, wouldnt cost the world to land. Signing Sundin or Rolston will still allow us to have the sub 2M in cap space that a #4 Dman would likely cost at the deadline.

The Wings won the cup by not overpaying for a UFA Dman that would likely handcuff their roster in future years and instead adding them in a thrifty trade. No reason why Detroits depth on D cant come through now until February. The Wings did better than everyone else with the roster they had pre-February.

naslund naslund naslund

Im going to say this as eloquently as I can:

Dude, Naslund sucks.

Go find a Canucks board and see how Vancouver fans are rejoicing about how Robert Lang Plus is leaving the team. And this is from a team that needs offense more than anyone else in the league. His stats have decreased steadily over the years. And beyond that, his attitude and work ethic are terrible nowadays. He hasnt been able to pass 60 points without Bertuzzi on his line anymore. And "floating", "inconsistent", "terrible leader" are just SOME of the things Nucks fans associate with Naslund nowadays. Hes a shell of his former self and worse than Rolston and Sundin in every conceivable aspect, while likely still tendering the same money as both those guys.

Rolston and Stuart will not accept 1 year deals. You can absolutely bank on that. Both are coming off good years. Theyll take those stats to the bank on a multi-year contract.

...what are you reading? I didn't say Rolston a 1 year deal. I said Stuart and Sundin...

...if Stuart is worried about family and doesn't want a long term contract here, then sign for 1 year at 4.5 milllion and then take two (possibly) Stanley Cups home with you to LA in 2009! If not, then walk. But he is not gonna win anything else in LA or Anaheim, so why not take a one year deal, for tons of cash, then go home to a 3-4 year retirement deal? If he wins another Cup here, it's that much more cash he'll get from LA...

...Sundin, 1 year deal period...

...Rolston a 3-4 year deal (hopefully at a hometown discount) worth about 3.5 million. Rafi was a teammate in Jersey and he should be ble to coax Brian to come home to win another Cup or two or three! :ph34r:

...that'll leave you plenty of money to re-sign Zetterberg forever and Franzen to a 5 year deal in 2009!

...and if noone wants a one year deal, oh well! Go elsewhere and win nothing, ala Schneider and Bertuzzi! Stuart was good, but he is replaceable. So we struggle a little at the #4 spot, but eventually things will gell. We were #1 before Stuart and it's not like he had Conn Smythe numbers in the playoffs. If he wants 3-4 years, then bye bye! Unless it's for LESS than he made last year...

Im going to say this as eloquently as I can:

Dude, Naslund sucks.

Go find a Canucks board and see how Vancouver fans are rejoicing about how Robert Lang Plus is leaving the team. And this is from a team that needs offense more than anyone else in the league. His stats have decreased steadily over the years. And beyond that, his attitude and work ethic are terrible nowadays. He hasnt been able to pass 60 points without Bertuzzi on his line anymore. And "floating", "inconsistent", "terrible leader" are just SOME of the things Nucks fans associate with Naslund nowadays. Hes a shell of his former self and worse than Rolston and Sundin in every conceivable aspect, while likely still tendering the same money as both those guys.

...I am not a proponent of bringing Naslund here, but put him on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg and he'll get over 60 points...

...How many people wanted Dan Cleary? Exactly! Put him on a line with D or Z and oilla, career highs in goals and points and new million dollar contract!

...You could put shleprock on a line with D or Z and he'll get 50-60 easily! Hell Homer got 40 points in only 59 games! Franzen got 38 points, most of which came when Homer was injured and he was playing with Z or D...

...if Sundin and Rolston want mad cash, and Naslund will sign for 1 year cheap, why not? The pros outweigh the cons...

...it's not like we're talking about signing Eric Lindros here...

...then there's always Malone, but he may score a bigger payday than Holland would want to offer...

Edited by LeftWinger

I dont see how Rolston should even be in the topic of discussion. He wants, and will receive, a multi-year deal. Frankly, the Wings are in no position to offer that to an older guy like Rolston, particularly because it could potentially present a problem in future discussions. If filppula signs a 3 year deal, and Rolston were to sign a 4 year deal with the Wings, I would want to personally kick Holland in the head if a 39 year old Rolston was taking up the space to get a deal done with one of the younger talents.

6 months ago, I wouldve loved to have Rolston in a Wings jersey come July 1st, but at this juncture, Id hate to see the sort of contract Rolston would command handcuff the Wings in future contracts, particularly with Filppula, Cleary, and Franzen who have begun to show that if the ice time is there, they come through. Rolston WILL get a multi-year contract and from whomever it comes, itll definitely be overpaying as hes one of few offensive guns out there on the UFA market.

I guess at this point, Ive sort of turned around in my thinking. Prior, I didnt think Sundin would be such a good idea, but at this point, considering the fact that hed be very inclined to take a 1 year contract, and also the fact that we could offer almost anything he wants (6M?), I would definitely welcome him on. As much as Im wary about him taking away valuable ice time from the 2nd line, if it were just for a year, I think what hed bring to the table in leadership, and particularly motivation to repeat (Win it for Mats is even more convincing that win it for Drake) would far outweigh that. Not to mention, the Swedish connection and winning it for a countrymen is as good a reason as any..

Plus throwing out a line of Sundin - Datsyuk - Zetterberg when youre down a goal makes it that much more comforting.

Cap-wise, Im not quite sure why people are so hesitant, considering getting Sundin on a one year contract is entirely feasible.

Currently, the Wings have 39.523 devoted to 9 forwards, 5 Dmen, and 1 goalie.

Jimmy = 800k

Flip = 2.5

Cheli = 800k

Ericsson = 600k

Quincey = 600k

Downey = 500k

Mac = 500k

Helm = 600k

Sudin = 6M

Total: 52.43

Low Cap estimate = 54M

1.57M cap cushion

If the Red Wings were to trade for a Dman around February 1st that was earning 4M a year, he would cost roughly 1.67M. Given that the Cap could reach as high as 56M, the Wings will have plenty of room to sign Sundin and make a Brad Stuart-esque trade deadline acquisition.

...I am not a proponent of bringing Naslund here, but put him on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg and he'll get over 60 points...

...How many people wanted Dan Cleary? Exactly! Put him on a line with D or Z and oilla, career highs in goals and points and new million dollar contract!

...You could put shleprock on a line with D or Z and he'll get 50-60 easily! Hell Homer got 40 points in only 59 games! Franzen got 38 points, most of which came when Homer was injured and he was playing with Z or D...

...if Sundin and Rolston want mad cash, and Naslund will sign for 1 year cheap, why not? The pros outweigh the cons...

...it's not like we're talking about signing Eric Lindros here...

...then there's always Malone, but he may score a bigger payday than Holland would want to offer...

What makes you think Naslund is going to find himself as a permanent fixture on the top line?? First of all, its not about how many points he puts up. Its about how he doesnt backcheck, doesnt play with energy, cant lead a team worth s***, and is on the steady decline.

And what on earth makes you think Naslund would come cheap? If Ryan freaking Malone can garner close to 5M on the open market, Naslund will as well. Especially considering this years UFA pool has been one of the shallowest in recent years. Langkow is going to get 5, Rolston wants 4-5, Malone is looking at 4-5. Naslund aint coming any cheaper.

As for comparing Cleary with Naslund, what does that have to do with anything? Cleary worked his way up the ladder by working out hard in the off-season and bringing that to the table when he was signed - for cheap. He was working off of a strong performance as a tryout at training camp. Not an impressive season he had 5 years ago on a line that had some of the best chemistry in the past decade. He fits Detroits system. Hits, checks, backchecks, brings energy. Naslund doesnt do that.

Like I said, at this point in his career, it would be the Robert Lang experiment all over again. I see no reason why ANYONE would want to add to our team a player like that. We're not desperate for offense. Let someone else pay 5M+ for his pittance of 55 points when he cant even break 60 points while seeing nearly 4 minutes of PP time a game and a whole 3 seconds per on the PK.

Sorry, but those sort of stats REEK of Robert Lang..

Sundin would be a one year rentaL Id like this pick up because he would add motivation to next years squad. Win one for Mats. But it would be strictly one year. We will need that money to get our younger guys signed long term.

Rolston would look really good in the wingedwheel. Hard shot, great two way player, gritty, a local guy who may be extra motivated to win in his hometown. A second line of Flip, Franzen and Rolston would be among the best in hockey and a perfect compliment to Hank, Pavel and Homer. Id resign myself to the fact that we may lose one of the younger guys to FA to sign him long term. Well as long as one of the younger guys wasnt Franzen, Flip or Hank.

Id be happy with either coming to Detroit and as GM Id do everything I could to get one of the two under contract.

Bottom line: The Wings adding a #4 Dman at the deadline will close about 2/3rds less than it would during free agency, and, as a luxury move, wouldnt cost the world to land. Signing Sundin or Rolston will still allow us to have the sub 2M in cap space that a #4 Dman would likely cost at the deadline.

The Wings won the cup by not overpaying for a UFA Dman that would likely handcuff their roster in future years and instead adding them in a thrifty trade. No reason why Detroits depth on D cant come through now until February. The Wings did better than everyone else with the roster they had pre-February.

I'm going to reiterate my point yet again: if Stuart walks, Holland is probably going to set aside money for a potential D pickup, one who could potentially cost a somewhat significant sum. Even though that acquisition likely wouldn't cost much, Holland has shown that he likes to play it very safe in this new cap world, so there's no reason to think he won't set aside at least several million for this potential blueliner "just in case." With this in mind, signing Sundin to a two-year deal does not look like something that would be high up on Holland's list of priorities.

Additionally, I never said our D can't hold down the fort until February. I'm looking forward to the postseason.