• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

Filppula signs 5-Year, $15M contract

Rate this topic

Agreed. I dont think Chelios comes back now though. Not that it bothers me.

Perhaps, but keep in mind this puts the Wings $610,000 below the cap. Plenty of room for Cheli's league minimum contract. :D

This deal has the potential to turn into an absolute steal in 2 years.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=244853&lid...os=topStory_nhl

I think it's a slight overpayment for next season, but could be very good deal in a couple of years. Just like Kronwall :)

Perhaps, but keep in mind this puts the Wings $610,000 below the cap. Plenty of room for Cheli's league minimum contract. :D

This deal has the potential to turn into an absolute steal in 2 years.

Exactly. Maybe a little overpayment for this coming year but in a year or two he'll be worth it and maybe a steal like, as mentioned, Kronner.

Edit: I have to say I like that it's a longer term deal. Something they don't have to address for 5 years is nice when they have some big ones coming up next summer.

Edited by StevieY9802

wow...

great deal, but tbh i wasn;t expecting that much of a cap hit..

were kinda in cap hell now, with Chelios, Qunicey and McCarty/Downey still unsigned..

gotta feel now that we'll probably be saying goodbye to Chelios

That is a great deal. 5 years is a long term deal to keep him here until he hits his prime, this is eerily similar to the Z contract.

When compared to say the Shawn Horcoff deal this is sweet, especially when you consider J-Willy just got 2.2 from Atlanta or Ryder in Boston 3 year 12mil.

He was a key component to this years cup run, he was the second line center for a better part of the year, filled in with Dats when injuries hit. This is a good deal IMO!

The is pretty much what I called a few days ago 5-6 year deal with a 2.5-3 mil cap hit. Glad that got this deal done before arbitration. Holland and Co. have botched a long term deal yet with young guns and it doesn't look to happen now. Great deal for both sides, but best of all, arbitration was avoided.

now i can sleep the rest of this off season and not worry about anything till the season starts.. i think we will be gettign rid of 1 of our defencemen, not 1 of the top 4 but any others i think are fair game, i can not see us not resigning at least 1 of either downy/mac

Something tells me Lilja is on the move. Holland did come straight out an say he was an insurance policy. With the signing of Stuart and the emergence of Kronwall, his hitting won't be as needed and we have other guys that are primed for the time.

Guest mindfly

omg... what a overpayment!! we won't be able to keep hossa now after this season, that's written in stone now.

Good deal. Two years from now it'll look like a steal, just like the Zetterberg and Kronwall contracts. Hell, it might even look like a steal this season if he gets enough time with Hossa, Hank, or Pavel.

omg... what a overpayment!! we won't be able to keep hossa now after this season, that's written in stone now.

No it's not.

On the surface, this looks like a huge overpayment. He certainly hasn't earned a $3 million per year contract yet, but the fact that he got $15 million over 5 years tells you what potential management thinks he has.

I don't have much of a problem with it, could turn out to be a complete steal of a deal in a couple years and if he never really develops much, then a $3 million cap hit shouldn't create too many problems anyway.

hello swedish bias!

it's an overpayment for this year certainly, but wont be in the long term

wow...

great deal, but tbh i wasn;t expecting that much of a cap hit..

were kinda in cap hell now, with Chelios, Qunicey and McCarty/Downey still unsigned..

gotta feel now that we'll probably be saying goodbye to Chelios

I was making a joke about Chelios before, but now its hard to see him with the Wings next year. I think they'll use that money to sign Downey and/or Mac to two-way contracts. That being said, unless something changes there will be no significant deadline deal this season.

I would think you of all people would have learned not to jump to conclusions, OT Nashville game 5 something like that.

Guest mindfly

Trading deadline deal is sort of out of question as well... hmm maybe the salarycap will continue to rise a few million? who knows?

Trading deadline deal is sort of out of question as well... hmm maybe the salarycap will continue to rise a few million? who knows?

cap doesn't rise during the season

and we never know what can happen. We could lose a star to a long term injury and then have a lot of space.

The way i see it now though. It's going to be difficult to have that 'training camp battle' that Holland was talking about for the defensive spots. We sign Quincey now and it officially puts us over the cap, but because of Chelios' age, i'm fairly sure we can't take him off the cap if he retires. So he'll have to be traded if we sign him and then take him off the cap.

It's difficult to work out, but chances are that we'll go into the season with a 23 man roster and be very tight to the cap. With Ericsson's cap hit you can guarantee he won't be on the roster.

i think we need to trade Lilja to give us some room.

So assuming Cheli isn't able to be re-signed, where do we stand on D? If there is a spot for a blue chip prospect, who fills on that final spot?

5 Lidstrom, Nicklas (Cap Hit) 7.450

28 Rafalski, Brian (Cap Hit) 6.000

23 Stuart, Brad (Cap Hit) 3.750

55 Kronwall, Niklas (Cap Hit) 3.000

3 Lilja, Andreas (Cap Hit) 1.250, 08/09: 1.250, 09/10: 1.250, 10/11: UFA

52 Ericsson, Jonathan (Cap Hit) 0.900 --- 08/09: 0.550, 09/10: 0.900, 10/11: 1.250 11/12: UFA

22 Lebda, Brett (Cap Hit) 0.650 --- 08/09: 0.650, 09/10: 0.850, 10/11: UFA

14 Meech, Derek (Cap Hit) 0.000 --- 08/09: 0.475, 09/10: 0.500, 10/11: RFA