• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

Filppula signs 5-Year, $15M contract

Rate this topic

If he plays like he did in April and May, hed land himself a 50-60 goal season. Somehow I can't imagine a guy whos previous best goal total was 12 goals becoming one of the most prolific goal scorers in the new NHL.

But then again, I'm taking your statement and running with it. :hehe:

If he's scoring 50-60 goals, then no need for Hossa, let that guy walk and wait for the Art Ross trophies to come pouring in. :)

By the way, Hossa is probably gone next season. There was no doubt about it when he first signed here, if you look back at that thread you'll see that everybody believed it. Now, suddenly it's coming as a big surprise to some people. It would be completely dumb to low-ball Filppula or neglect Franzen in hopes of signing a guy who expressed interest in a one year shot at the cup. To think that there might be enough money to keep Hossa is leaving too much to hope. Keep in mind that, while he's not quite worth it, he could be making as much as Crosby (or more), $8-9 million. To fit that in, Franzen would have to go, and even then it's pretty unlikely.

Hahaha I wrote this in April!

Flips contract will be close to 3 mill or more. I expect them to do something that is similar to Kronwalls deal.

That was a reply to those who said he should be happy at 1,75 in a different thread. :scared:

Anyway.. I also think that it will be a steal in a few years.

Hahaha I wrote this in April!

That was a reply to those who said he should be happy at 1,75 in a different thread. :scared:

Anyway.. I also think that it will be a steal in a few years.

Well, he should be happy with 1.75 million lol. The ones the peeved me off were the ones who said if he wants more than 2 mil a season over any type of contract, Holland and Co. should let him walk :rolleyes:

The point is, Lilja, while not a crowd pleaser here at LGW would have definitely made more money if he had of opted to test the market. Hell, the Leafs would have given him 1.75 or maybe even 2 M. We're talking about a defencemen who has been to at least the conference finals in both of his last 2 seasons and has a Stanley Cup ring. Holland signed him for depth, he could be a top 4 guy on a weak team. Also, he would have been able to choose his destination.

Just because he's not a superstar doesn't mean you sign the guy to a reasonable deal then ship him off.

:clap: :clap: I fully agree with you and NFM. There is no way that you get a guy to take a hometown discount and then ship him off a month later. Why would anyone including Z or Mule next year agree to take a discount to play with the Wings and still be afraid that they would be sent to play for the Kings or some other team that you don't want to play for and who would have given you a lot more money if you just signed with them in the first place. :clap: :clap:

Holland has stated that Lilja was signed as insurance in case the young guys dont work out. He also said that Lilja could very well be traded.

Where did he state that Lilja could very well be traded? Cite please.

By the way, Hossa is probably gone next season. There was no doubt about it when he first signed here, if you look back at that thread you'll see that everybody believed it. Now, suddenly it's coming as a big surprise to some people. It would be completely dumb to low-ball Filppula or neglect Franzen in hopes of signing a guy who expressed interest in a one year shot at the cup. To think that there might be enough money to keep Hossa is leaving too much to hope. Keep in mind that, while he's not quite worth it, he could be making as much as Crosby (or more), $8-9 million. To fit that in, Franzen would have to go, and even then it's pretty unlikely.

Exactly

Guys here shouldn't be getting their hopes up. Its highly unlikely that everything works out just right so that we have enough money to sign Hossa and not lose a ton of guys in the process.

You guys remember those threads on the Pens boards after they didn't sign Hossa, and everyone here was criticizing them saying they should have seen it coming?

I knew as soon as we signed him that when he left there would be the same type of dumbasses on here acting surprised and typing dumb s***.

Edited by Fireside

If he's scoring 50-60 goals, then no need for Hossa, let that guy walk and wait for the Art Ross trophies to come pouring in. :)

Steve Yzerman has a different take on it:

"Without even talking to him, my own feeling is, he's signed, he's coming here with the intention that, "I'm gonna play really well, and fit in here, and they're going to want to sign me to a long-term deal," so I don't, and again, I haven't spoken to him with that, but it's just my feeling that, I know he likes the organization, and he likes the way our team plays, but his intention is to come in and win us over, and stay here."

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/07/yzerman_on_wdfn.html

See bolded point below:

Undoubtedly Holland was forward with him when they re-signed him being that Holland had no problem coming out to the media and saying Lilja was an insurance policy if Stuart couldn't get signed. Do you not remember just a season or two ago how Lilja was posturing to ask for a trade because he didn't get enough ice time? He got his cup. He got a good contract for what he is. Now he can get his ice time with another team.

Its pointless to trade young talent that is equally as viable at the NHL level as Lilja, yet costs - at most - half the price.

We all know that trades are going to happen. Sometimes they work out. And sometimes they'll bite you back... (see Knuble, Mike).

There is a risk in dealing players. But if you can't afford them then you have to trade them. If the Wings trade Lilja, then they'll at least get something in return. They won't if they buy him out.

Steve Yzerman has a different take on it:

"Without even talking to him, my own feeling is, he's signed, he's coming here with the intention that, "I'm gonna play really well, and fit in here, and they're going to want to sign me to a long-term deal," so I don't, and again, I haven't spoken to him with that, but it's just my feeling that, I know he likes the organization, and he likes the way our team plays, but his intention is to come in and win us over, and stay here."

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/07/yzerman_on_wdfn.html

Maybe that is the way Hossa feels, but I just don't see Kenny sacrificing guys like Franzen and maybe a few other guys just to get Hossa signed.

The only way I think he gets signed is if he is willing to take a pay cut. I don't see the cap rising that much.

He will get a similar offer to the multi-year deal we offered him before we signed him to the one-year deal.

The fact that he turned that down makes me think that he is looking to get paid big after this year. I don't think Kenny will jeopardize the team's future or potentially put us in a bad situation to get him signed to a longterm big money contract.

Edited by Fireside

A valuable UFA, not a resigned player would not be moved as he was brought in to adress the need. lilija is an unessarcy player as of now.

An "unnecessary" player that just signed a UFA contract just a month ago. Again, its just bad business.

Maybe that is the way Hossa feels, but I just don't see Kenny sacrificing guys like Franzen and maybe a few other guys just to get Hossa signed.

The only way I think he gets signed is if he is willing to take a pay cut. I don't see the cap rising that much.

He will get a similar offer to the multi-year deal we offered him before we signed him to the one-year deal.

The fact that he turned that down makes me think that he is looking to get paid big after this year. I don't think Kenny will jeopardize the team's future or potentially put us in a bad situation to get him signed to a longterm big money contract.

I don't think that Yzerman would just come out and say this out of no where and I'm pretty sure that I have read somewhere Holland saying that he doesn't know if it will fit but they will be trying to make it fit with Hossa long term. I think there is a shot that Hossa takes a pay cut and a contract about what Z will get. I don't know that it will work but I'm not certain that it won't either, no one thought we would get Hossa this year either.

I think you're blowing the whole scenario out of porportion. The Red Wings will do what is right from an organizational standpoint and from a player standpoint -- and that's dealing Lilja, IMO. If he was worried about getting dealt after he signed the contract he could've demanded a NTC, but he didn't.

Situations change. Lineups change. Roles change. With Stuart locked up and the kids knocking on the door, Lilja's salary and role on the team makes him expendable. I'm sure he's starting to see the writing on the wall.

Ultimately it'll come down to training camp and how the kids perform. If Lilja drastically out-plays them, then maybe one or two of the Meech/Quincey/Lebda triumverate gets traded. If he doesn't have that big of a gap -- which I'm expecting -- his role is reduced. He doesn't play, etc..

He does have his Stanley Cup ring, and he's got a few years left to play at least... Why spend the next two No. 7 or worse on a blueline as deep as this?

Trading Lilja won't have any effect on the Red Wings' rep as a "classy" organization. It's a business. They're not trading him out of spite -- it's out of necessity and what would ultimately be best for both sides.

TBH, I don't feel I am blowing this out of proportion. Don't misunderstand me, moving Lilja is probably the best thing due to his contract and the situation the Wings are in, but players do frown on teams that sign and trade. Will it ultimately be the downfall of the Red Wings if they were to move him, most likely not....but it doesn't look the best either after a player committed 2 more seasons to your club after he was a part of winning you a Stanley Cup.

I understand that situations change, and with the log-jam on D along with the Cap crunch Lilja makes the most sense, but I'd also like to look at some other alternatives before just saying, "lets dump Lilja". Sammy's name has been thrown out there, and all though I'm not 100% keen on dumping him, its worth consideration given the current Cap situation.

Undoubtedly Holland was forward with him when they re-signed him being that Holland had no problem coming out to the media and saying Lilja was an insurance policy if Stuart couldn't get signed. Do you not remember just a season or two ago how Lilja was posturing to ask for a trade because he didn't get enough ice time? He got his cup. He got a good contract for what he is. Now he can get his ice time with another team.

Its pointless to trade young talent that is equally as viable at the NHL level as Lilja, yet costs - at most - half the price.

Perhaps Kenny was forward with him, but who's to say Kenny didn't have anything finalized with Stuart at the time Lilja signed? Perhaps he brought Lilja back thinking his chance of getting Stuart 5 minutes before the free agency period began was slim.

If the Wings had equally viable NHL level talent to Lilja, they wouldn't pay twice the price to Lilja as they are those kids.

TBH, I don't feel I am blowing this out of proportion. Don't misunderstand me, moving Lilja is probably the best thing due to his contract and the situation the Wings are in, but players do frown on teams that sign and trade. Will it ultimately be the downfall of the Red Wings if they were to move him, most likely not....but it doesn't look the best either after a player committed 2 more seasons to your club after he was a part of winning you a Stanley Cup.

I understand that situations change, and with the log-jam on D along with the Cap crunch Lilja makes the most sense, but I'd also like to look at some other alternatives before just saying, "lets dump Lilja". Sammy's name has been thrown out there, and all though I'm not 100% keen on dumping him, its worth consideration given the current Cap situation.

I don't want to change the thread from Filppula to Lilja, but seeing as its in regard to where Filppul's contract leaves the Wings I think its acceptable. I MOSTLY agree with you here NFM. But as I said earlier I wouldnt be surprised if Lilja was traded. But I don't think they'll say tomorrow, hey Andreas good bye. I think that what could happen is if Lilja is outplayed at camp and becomes a number 7 defenseman they could trade him. I think the more likely scenario is that they keep all of Lebda, Lilja, Meech, Quincey up and use Meech as a 13th forward 9th defenseman and have Mac and Downey as 14th forwards that get called up from Grand Rapids, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Quincey have a strong camp and make the d-pairs so:

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Stuart

Lebda-Quincey

Lilja

Chelios

In which case I think its possible you could see Lilja traded. The only reason I wouldn't be shocked to see him traded is if he loses the battle for the last spot on the point in training camp, which is a possibility. Stating that a guy was brought back, but outplayed and pused to the press box by a younger player and then trading the player that was brought back initially to a place where he will play, is not something I think the Wings would get flack for.

So I guess my point is Lilja's fate is in his own hands, but if he is outplayed in camp he could be gone, not because he was a sign and trade, but because he lost his spot. It easily could go another way, and Meech or Lebda could be traded as well...We will see.

You gotta love being a Red Wings fan. We have the cup for the 4th time in 11 years, and by July 30th, we've got everything ready for the up coming season. We can just sit back, enjoy the rest of the Summer and wait for Training Camp.

I don't think that Yzerman would just come out and say this out of no where and I'm pretty sure that I have read somewhere Holland saying that he doesn't know if it will fit but they will be trying to make it fit with Hossa long term. I think there is a shot that Hossa takes a pay cut and a contract about what Z will get. I don't know that it will work but I'm not certain that it won't either, no one thought we would get Hossa this year either.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hossa did feel this way, and I'm not saying its completely impossible that he signs with us after next year.

I just think its a long shot. A lot things have to take place for us to have a shot at it.

He has to know that he could get offers anywhere from to 8mil to potentially even 10-12 a year from some teams out there and he has already turned down a multi-year deal from Holland that wouldn't jeopardize our future. I can't see Holland offering him anything other than that again next year.

I could be wrong here but I think that we have around 15mil next year to re-sign Z, Franzen, Hossa, Sammy, Hudler, Lilja, and Kopecky. Thats assuming the cap doesn't go up. Even assuming that Z takes a paycut and plays for around 7mil that only leaves us 8mil to re-sign everyone else. Hossa could probably get more than that on the open market. Franzen could get potentially 4mil if he plays well next year anyway. And I don't think we should assume that the cap is going to go up 5mil and that some of our guys will take paycuts so we can fit Hossa in too. Even if the paycuts and the cap going up again happend we would still have to let a few guys go unless Hossa is willing to play for significantly less than what other teams will be offering him.

Its not out of the question, like you said no one expected him to sign a one year deal with us this year, but I don't think we should get our hopes up.

I don't want to change the thread from Filppula to Lilja, but seeing as its in regard to where Filppul's contract leaves the Wings I think its acceptable. I MOSTLY agree with you here NFM. But as I said earlier I wouldnt be surprised if Lilja was traded. But I don't think they'll say tomorrow, hey Andreas good bye. I think that what could happen is if Lilja is outplayed at camp and becomes a number 7 defenseman they could trade him. I think the more likely scenario is that they keep all of Lebda, Lilja, Meech, Quincey up and use Meech as a 13th forward 9th defenseman and have Mac and Downey as 14th forwards that get called up from Grand Rapids, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Quincey have a strong camp and make the d-pairs so:

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Stuart

Lebda-Quincey

Lilja

Chelios

In which case I think its possible you could see Lilja traded. The only reason I wouldn't be shocked to see him traded is if he loses the battle for the last spot on the point in training camp, which is a possibility. Stating that a guy was brought back, but outplayed and pused to the press box by a younger player and then trading the player that was brought back initially to a place where he will play, is not something I think the Wings would get flack for.

So I guess my point is Lilja's fate is in his own hands, but if he is outplayed in camp he could be gone, not because he was a sign and trade, but because he lost his spot. It easily could go another way, and Meech or Lebda could be traded as well...We will see.

I could see that happening. Personally, if this is the case I would also think that Kenny would sit down with Lilja to again go over the situation and the log jam. To top it off, if this is the move that takes place it would be great to see Lilja moved to a team that he doesn't have a problem with even though he has no say in it (due to not having a NTC). Generally, when a player is moved they talk about what they're looking forward to, and briefly touch on the time with their previous team. It would great if he was moved on good terms and let the media know about it.

That being said, I just don't see Kenny moving Lilja even though it seems to be the popular belief here. UFA sign and trade isn't a good idea for any team, and the Wings organization has shown more class than that. Lilja may be moved next year to accommodate Hossa, but I don't see it happening this year.

Although I do see what you're saying, I don't think it applies here. Lilja isn't some free agent we plucked off the market and guaranteed a spot on the team, he's a guy we re-signed (and gave a moderate raise) not fully knowing how this summer was going to play out. And I don't think a third-pairing/depth defenceman like Andreas Lilja can expect the same level of commitment as, say, Brian Rafalski when we signed him to a 30 million dollar contract last summer.

Although Lilja at 1.2 million isn't that bad of a deal, I feel we can save ourselves around half a million in cap space by replacing him with either Chelios or someone within the system.