• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

New Fox Sports broadcast rule

Rate this topic

Mods feel free to move this if you wish.

Ok I turn on Fox Sports Detroit to see the Tigers game at 6pm and to my surprise, no pregame, no game, nothing.

The new Fox Sports broadcast rule stats that FSD cannot show coverage of a MLB Tigers game (or any team for that matter) on Saturday until 7pm. It actually scrolled that underneath on the ticker. I look online and yep, the game has started at 6pm on schedule.

That means when the broadcast resumes at 7pm, the baseball game will be 1/3 over with!!

This is serious news if this carries over to the NHL as well. That means that if a Red Wing game starts at 6pm on a Saturday night, won't be allowed to air until 7pm..with either a tape delay or the game started already. Also if a game starts at 7pm, the pregame will not be shown.

Just curious if anyone has heard of this broadcast rule yet?

Edited by timothy1997

There's an MLB blackout rule that states that no game other than the FOX Saturday game can start between 1:10pm and 7:00pm, and if it does, it's blacked out until 7pm.

There's absolutely no sane reason for a television station to blackout the first hour of a game at their own will.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Just an MLB blackout rule? Good... I have Center Ice, and it is an absolute treat that even when the Wings are on the road, I often still get the FSN Detroit feed with Ken and Mickey, which is great, as it normally shows only the home team's broadcast, something that really burns the soul when the Wings are in Columbus and Nashville 4 times each last year.

Guest Shoreline

What the hell kind of stupid ass rule is that?

I don't mind if it's the MLB.. don't watch the crap anyways. Just don't f with my Wings.

Edited by Shoreline

Ya I saw that and thought what the heck that is one of the stupiest rules cause as stated ealier you miss the first part of the game and thats like the most important part. You get to see who is playing and whose not and all that. And I REALLY hope this deosn't carry over to the NHL or I don't know waht I'll do.

Ah, so that's what it was. Well, I can almost guarantee you that this doesn't carry over to the NHL. MLB has the dumbest rules and are extremely strict about their streaming policies. For example, you cannot listen to a baseball online without purchasing MLB Audio which is over 100 bucks a year. Ditto for watching games online. The NHL sets up the whole thing for you on their website so you can listen to whatever stream you wish, home or away broadcast. Not only that, but baseball games can't stream on Sopcast whereas NHL games can.

So, don't worry about this issue, MLB has proven to be the greediest league of them all. Just be glad you're a hockey fan.

Ah, so that's what it was. Well, I can almost guarantee you that this doesn't carry over to the NHL. MLB has the dumbest rules and are extremely strict about their streaming policies. For example, you cannot listen to a baseball online without purchasing MLB Audio which is over 100 bucks a year. Ditto for watching games online. The NHL sets up the whole thing for you on their website so you can listen to whatever stream you wish, home or away broadcast. Not only that, but baseball games can't stream on Sopcast whereas NHL games can.

So, don't worry about this issue, MLB has proven to be the greediest league of them all. Just be glad you're a hockey fan.

you're not actually allowed to broadcast the NHL on sopcast either. it's just that the NHL doesn't do s*** about it, like they don't remove youtube videos when everyone else does...

you're not actually allowed to broadcast the NHL on sopcast either. it's just that the NHL doesn't do s*** about it, like they don't remove youtube videos when everyone else does...

This is one of those rare moments where the NHL seems much more enlightened than the other leagues.

Just more desperate for any shred of attention.

^

plus, they're probably not willing to devote much of the budget to those things. mlb can use the money they make from forcing people to pay for streamed audio and pay people to investigate this s***.

also, i've never understood charging for something that you're broadcasting free over the air (e.g. radio). you woudl think that if they could show that through streaming they had drastically increased the amount of listeners, they could charge more for ads. but, then again, i suppose local advertisers would have no reason to pay more. *shrug* oh well. i'm glad i'm a bigger nhl fan than an mlb fan.

Even if this WAS an FSN rule and not a MLB rule, how often do the Wings play before 7pm on a Saturday? Other than NBC games they almost never do so it wouldn't have been a problem. In saying that, it is stupid for MLB to have that rule, but also stupid for any team to have a game, other than the Fox National Broadcasts, before 7pm since they know that rule is there.