• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
superdeluxe

Hossa's Hunger inspires red wing teammates

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...es_red_win.html

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings will benefit from Marian Hossa's speed, size and scoring punch. He also brings a much-needed intangible element for a Stanley Cup-winning club searching for new sources of motivation.

"He's got that hunger to win it and I think it'll only help everybody in that aspect,'' Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart said. "He came here for one reason. We can all appreciate that. It will be a little bit of a motivating factor for everybody.''

Hossa, 29, spurned more lucrative long-term offers from other teams, signing a one-year, $7.45 million deal with Detroit on July 2 because he believes this club gives him his best opportunity to win his first Cup.

The star forward arrived from Slovakia on Friday and skated with a handful of his new teammates for the first time Monday at Joe Louis Arena.

He admitted it felt a little strange wearing a winged-wheel practice jersey and sitting in a dressing room stall between his good buddy, Tomas Kopecky, and Kirk Maltby just three months after playing against the Red Wings in the Cup finals with Pittsburgh.

"There was a few teams in play, but my situation was between Pittsburgh and Detroit,'' Hossa said. "Detroit won (his services) because the team stayed together and it's a strong team, a strong organization.

"I don't want to take anything (away) from Pittsburgh. I had a great time there and (they have) unbelievable young players and a great group, but I just feel a little bit better chance to win here.''

Hossa has long admired the Red Wings' European puck possession style and is looking forward to playing in front of a mobile, puck-moving defense, getting fed a steady diet of crisp outlet passes from Nicklas Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall.

"It's the best group in the league,'' Hossa said. "I had the chance to play against them last season and I know how hard it is. They are good defensively, but they can also move the puck as quick as anybody.''

Coach Mike Babcock said he'll start the season playing Hossa on a line with Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom.

"It doesn't really matter who you play with, everybody's a great player in here,'' Hossa said. "If you play with a guy like Datsyuk, you just have to have your stick on the ice. It's simple.''

New Red Wings assistant coach Brad McCrimmon developed a close relationship with Hossa when he was an assistant coach in Atlanta. New backup goaltender Ty Conklin and Hossa were teammates with the Penguins for a few months last season. Both spoke of Hossa's character.

"His work ethic is unbelievable,'' McCrimmon said. "He's an everyday player, no maintenance, he's a great teammate. He's a great asset in all areas.''

Said Conklin: "Knowing Hoss, he's the kind of guy who wants to win. He's a great player and a really good teammate. A highly skilled guy who plays hard every shift. That's what you want.''

The Red Wings were fortunate to squeeze him in under the salary cap. Some national media criticized Hossa for not grabbing the best contract he could get, but he's at peace with his decision.

"People can say whatever they want,'' Hossa said. "It's my life and I made a decision I like.''

He's not just a hired gun. The Red Wings have several players entering the final year of their contracts, including Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen, but they're determined to sign Hossa to a long-term deal after the season.

"I look at it like I'm here for one year (and) during the year we'll see how the cap room is going to (be) and then talk to the GM and see if they like me to stay here or if I like to be here or if I'm a good fit in the group,'' Hossa said. "We don't know yet, but we'll see in the future.''

Hossa will stay with Kopecky and his family until he finds an apartment. His girlfriend will arrive from Slovakia to join him after training camp. In the meantime, he's getting acclimated to his new surroundings before heading up to camp on Sept. 18.

Is it hockey season yet!?

Guest lnvincible
Good read. I think he is going to make a great impact in the game and for our team. Oct cant get here soon enough! :)

Im dieing for the season to start :o! :siren:

Funny how some national media criticized Hossa for not grabbing the best contract he could get, when the national media are the first to get on the players for being overpaid.

I guess they can't win either way.

Funny how some national media criticized Hossa for not grabbing the best contract he could get, when the national media are the first to get on the players for being overpaid.

I guess they can't win either way.

"The national media" is essentially a bunch of cynical critics.

I love this team.

"but they're determined to sign Hossa to a long-term deal after the season."

I hope!

I just hope that doesn't mean Hollands willing to dump other players over it. I like Hossa, actually hes one of my fav non Wings until now of course. Zetterbergs contracts up, hes going to be making 7.5m or so a season. Cap might raise a couple million next season. How does this work? If we lost someone like Zetterberg to keep Hossa id be furious. Only other options are to dump say Franzen and Samuelson. I wouldn't like to see Franzen leave to much either.

I guess either way you look at it, were not going to have the team we have this season again for along long time so enjoy this one. This is the Dynasty at its peak. All of our young guys that played great last season should be even be greater this season, Hossa, plus Stuart gets more comfortable and learns the ways and plays a full season with us. In theory we can't loose many games this season.

I just hope that doesn't mean Hollands willing to dump other players over it. I like Hossa, actually hes one of my fav non Wings until now of course. Zetterbergs contracts up, hes going to be making 7.5m or so a season. Cap might raise a couple million next season. How does this work? If we lost someone like Zetterberg to keep Hossa id be furious. Only other options are to dump say Franzen and Samuelson. I wouldn't like to see Franzen leave to much either.

I guess either way you look at it, were not going to have the team we have this season again for along long time so enjoy this one. This is the Dynasty at its peak. All of our young guys that played great last season should be even be greater this season, Hossa, plus Stuart gets more comfortable and learns the ways and plays a full season with us. In theory we can't loose many games this season.

Yeah, losing Zetterberg for Hossa would be far past ridiculous, but not signing Franzen to keep Hossa I think would be completely worth it (although I'd still hate to loss him, but there isn't any way you can argue franzen > hossa). And absolutely, this will be our best chance to win the cup for 10 years and we'll still have one of the best teams next year as well. Times are good.

Yeah, losing Zetterberg for Hossa would be far past ridiculous, but not signing Franzen to keep Hossa I think would be completely worth it (although I'd still hate to loss him, but there isn't any way you can argue franzen > hossa). And absolutely, this will be our best chance to win the cup for 10 years and we'll still have one of the best teams next year as well. Times are good.

We'll gain a tiny bit of cap space with the Defenceman/men we trade before the season. Not much, though. We'll gain a little bit of cap space with (I'm assuming) Chelios retiring after THIS year. Not Much though. We will hopefully gain a couple million dollars in cap space just from the expanding cap. Not much though.

It looks like we'll need to say goodbye to Downey, McCarty and Samuelsson after this year. hopefully McCarty going out with a second cup will be satisfying enough for him and all his fans.

Moving Cleary, making close to 3 mil. Might be necessary to resign Franzen, Hossa and Zetterberg. From what it sounds like, Hossa's made enough money and wants to win. I can see him as well as Zetterberg taking something closer to Datsyuk Money long term, rather than Lidstrom Money.

If Hudler's goign to be relegated to the 3rd line, Maybe he becomes expendable too? I'd hate to give up on him, and i love the way he plays....But he'll make 1.5 mil next year, and do you want to tie that kind of money up on a third liner, when we have a chance to resign Hossa??

It looks Tight. I don't see how Holland will be able to do it. They're over the cap already. To me, It seems Impossible. If it were up to me, I'd sacrifice Franzen for Hossa. I love Franzen, But If you put the two next to each other, and HAVE to decide one or the other....I gotta go hossa. I just can't see how they could keep all 3 guys.

But That's Why Kenny Holland is the GM and Not Me!

In Holland We Trust!!!! Get this done Kenny....I don't know how, but get it done!

If Hudler's goign to be relegated to the 3rd line, Maybe he becomes expendable too? I'd hate to give up on him, and i love the way he plays....But he'll make 1.5 mil next year, and do you want to tie that kind of money up on a third liner, when we have a chance to resign Hossa??

Thats the thing man. Is 2 great lines better than having 3 good lines and a solid 4th line? I think not id rather see maximum depth through out the line up over sacrificing depth to have 2 super star lines. Wings proved it by beating the Pens last year that depths superior to super star lines. You can argue saying Pitt had alot of depth but they really didn't. There depth consisted of somewhat big draft names that were underdeveloped and lacked experience. Do you really think Hossa is better than having Cleary, Samuelson, Franzen scattered throughout the lineup for example?

After a team trys to match the wings 1st and 2nd line. Out comes Wings 3rd line, what the f*** can a team do? Toss out there 3rd or 4th line and hope for the best. I don't care how a team trys to juggle there lines to match up. Sooner or later theres going to be a mismatch in the Wings favor bottom line. Thats why they win night in and night out.

The thing is, we can sacrafice SOME depth to keep Hossa around. Players like Hudler and Sammy are expendable ifi it comes down to keeping Hossa. We do have players like Emmerton, Helm, and Abdelkader who will probably be fighting for roster spots after this season. If we can plug them in at league minimum, lose Hudler, Sammy, McCarty, Downey, assuming the cap goes up enough, it COULD work out. All depends how much of a cut Zetterberg and Mule are willing to take as well. It would only be one season to REALLY worry about anyway, assuming Lids retires after his contract is up. Even if he stays, at that point in his career I'm sure he would take a pay cut to see such a beast team stay together. But we will have to wait and see!!