• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Red Wings Powerplay Lines

Rate this topic

Solid decision, this will help the team a lot, the lines will work together in almost all situations developing chemistry.

Line changes after pp's will be a little easier with the only line that would get messed with a little is the Sammy Flip Cleary line.

BTW I am really expecting a big year out of these three, Flip and Sammy played well together on the second line last year, Cleary is a good offensive player with a really good all around game, yet he has been on a defensive line most of last season.

This line will be facing other teams 3rd and 4th lines, and these are all top 6 forwards on any other team in the league!

I'd prefer to see Stuart or another forward play the point on the second unit instead of Sammy, but who knows, he might surprise us this year. I don't hate him, but his aim and shot selection are below par.

I'd prefer to see Stuart or another forward play the point on the second unit instead of Sammy, but who knows, he might surprise us this year. I don't hate him, but his aim and shot selection are below par.

I totally agree, sammy is solid but i think Stuart has earned the right to help anchor the second unit...

Sammy is on the second unit with Kronwall because he's not only defensively responsible, but he's a *right-handed* shot. That's key for how the Wings move the puck on the PP. Having a righty gives you more options and better mobility.

Im sorry but Zetterberg should remain on the top line PP line......

You cant put Zjesus on the second line... just crap

The first unit is dangerous, but keep in mind that the top defensive PK unit will square off against the HDH line. Imagine how many points Hudler, Z and Franzen are going to put up on the "second" unit.

This is another brilliant setup by Babs.

The first unit is dangerous, but keep in mind that the top defensive PK killing unit will square off against the HDH line. Imagine how many points Hudler, Z and Franzen are going to put up on the "second" unit.

Read the above post, then let it soak in, read it again, and realize he is 100% correct.

Z is now being put in a spot where arguably one of the top 5 players in the league will be playing all game against other team's second or even third defensive units. Are you as a coach going to focus more on MZH or HDH, Zetterberg will have great success this year, just not as many goals as some think, he will have a career mark in assists I think.

This is great strategy by Babs, Lids, Ralf, Homer, Hossa and Dats will grab so much defensive attention that Z will feel like a free man!!! He will have great responsible D behind him with Kronwall, who can Launch from the blue line. (not like Schneids but a good shot) Sammy who can shoot from there (say what you want about the quality of the shot), Mule and Hudler showed they can be a threat on the PP last season.

Im sorry but Zetterberg should remain on the top line PP line......

You cant put Zjesus on the second line... just crap

The Wings don't have a 1st line and a 2nd line they have two 1st lines. They also don't have a 1st unit and a 2nd unit, they have two 1st units.

I more excited when we get a powerplay with 50 seconds left in the period or something like that...

Hossa-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Lidstrom-Rafalski

How do you contain that?

Pile all 5 players on the ice in the net so that there are no puck sized holes for it to go through? Maybe?

The first unit is dangerous, but keep in mind that the top defensive PK unit will square off against the HDH line. Imagine how many points Hudler, Z and Franzen are going to put up on the "second" unit.

Excellent point. I'm still disappointed that we're not going to see Hossa - Datsyuk - Z though. :(

Pile all 5 players on the ice in the net so that there are no puck sized holes for it to go through? Maybe?

Aaaah....but then you run the risk of freezing the puck in the crease thus automatically awarding the other team a penalty shot.

You gotta think about these things from all angles Opie. :P

Aaaah....but then you run the risk of freezing the puck in the crease thus automatically awarding the other team a penalty shot.

You gotta think about these things from all angles Opie. :P

No I don't that is why you are around, to keep me under wraps! LOL!! :ph34r:

Maybe on the penalty kill we'll see Z and Drapes and Datsyuk and Cleary

You have to imagine that Z and Franzen stick after what they did in the playoffs. Not to mention that it would tie in perfectly with Babcock's strategy of keeping his ES units alligned for special teams play. Then Pavel and Hossa would be a ridiculous PK tandem as well. Fil and Cleary, Draper and Maltby. Every line has a built in PK pairing.

I think Filpula and Cleary will see some of Hudlers minutes whenever he gets thrown in Babcocks dog house this season, should it happen.

I also would rather have Stuart on the point for the one timer factor, but whatever. As long as Sammy doesnt start playing like Adrian Aucoin, he'll be fine.

agreed about being bummed by z and dats not playing together much.

my thoughts are these, though: you put Hos-Dats-Z on the top line...in my opinion you don't have much room for either homer or franzen. again, just my opinion, but you don't want franzen and homer on the same pp line b/c both are such great net crashers. homer may still be the best in front of the net, but add in the homer-effect and, again my opinion, franzen has better puck skills.

it seems like franzen-hudler-homer isn't a great second pp unit. in that situation, assuming the reasons i've given above are correct, homer's the odd man out.

thus, i think, if, say, it's late in the game and we're down by a goal and go on the powerplay...you might just see Hos-Dats-Z together. if they can't get it done, we go to cleary/flip-hudler-franzen (or back to homer if mule's skills come back to earth this season). not a bad second line, but again, you don't want to NOT have homer at all on the pp, which is why you don't go with these lines all the time, and i def. agree that having a 1a 1b situation makes our powerplay very hard to fight. i still think that, occasionally, if we really, really need a goal, you'll see the three big boys together for a hail mary.

but, babs i am not, so we'll see.