• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Darren McCarty cleared waivers

Rate this topic

Downey and McCarty needed to work out with Colton Orr in the offseason. Orr went from a no talent why-is-he-in-the-lineup player to someone who gives the Rangers a 4th line and is obviously willing to drop the gloves. Orr can play 8 minutes a night now while being one of the best heavyweights in the game. Downey and McCarty can barely handle 5 minutes a game before needing a respirator.

Even if you disagree with Holland and his idea of powerplay as being an "enforcer" the way this team is built and has always been built is no conducive to 4 minute players.

So far it's Hudler and Kopecky.

I might give Hudler the benefit of the doubt because he has some skills, but Kopecky has done nothing so far for people to praise him.

I can't comment on that part, I have been in the middle of the woods in Maine for 2 weeks trying to get a Moose so I can not comment on this season, I will take your word for it with a grain of salt.

I can't comment on that part, I have been in the middle of the woods in Maine for 2 weeks trying to get a Moose so I can not comment on this season, I will take your word for it with a grain of salt.

Just think of everything Kopecky has ever done that you've seen (except the Sharp fight), and then multiply it by 10. At the end of that, you'll see that he still amounts to nothing so far.

If you were in Maine for 2 years you wouldn't have missed him doing anything important.

Redwings record last 3 years (Pres trophy standings) *Major injuries during the year

07-08 54 21 7 115 (Winner) Stanley Cup winner * NONE

06-07 50 19 13 113 (Tied for first lose tie breaker) WCF lose * NONE

05-06 58 16 8 124 (Winner) Lost in 1st round of playoffs * NONE

So tell me again how many players got run in those seasons and how many of them were manhandled to the point were it cost the wings anything. Drake's impact was the forechecking presence had nothing to due with his fists, plus if you remember correctly, seeing as you pay so much attention to the games, Dallas had a horrible regular season and most on here (including me) were questioning him on the team, then he had a terrific post season and showed why he was on the roster.

Hell Homer got mashed by two Duck players and then turned around and scored a point on the very first (or at least one of his first shifts) back on the ice. AND he was healthy and playing in the next game which was a loss.

BTW who are the two roster spots that are providing little to nothing?

What are you basing your "no major injuries" on? your subjective opinion? there were a number of questionable injuries in the past 3 seasons. When a piece of garbage like Laperriere hits Lidstrom, I expect someone to go out there and beat his ass. Despite Babcock's insistence that our "power play is our enforcer" that's nonsense and it rarely proved to be true.

It shouldn't be difficult for you to figure out that Kopecky is absolutely worthless with your statistical analysis skills. He has continually showed no justification for being on this team, especially with someone like Helm readily available...and sadly I could say the same for Maltby. Maltby is barely a fraction of the player people have come to love in the past, either one could be replaced in heartbeat.

What are you basing your "no major injuries" on? your subjective opinion? there were a number of questionable injuries in the past 3 seasons. When a piece of garbage like Laperriere hits Lidstrom, I expect someone to go out there and beat his ass. Despite Babcock's insistence that our "power play is our enforcer" that's nonsense and it rarely proved to be true.

It shouldn't be difficult for you to figure out that Kopecky is absolutely worthless with your statistical analysis skills. He has continually showed no justification for being on this team, especially with someone like Helm readily available...and sadly I could say the same for Maltby. Maltby is barely a fraction of the player people have come to love in the past, either one could be replaced in heartbeat.

A major injury would be one that constitutes more than a few games missed, like missing a month or more. I would say that the hit on Lids was perfectly clean, I watched it live (on TV) and the replays, plus the youtubes of it, IMO the hit was clean.

You may disagree but you are entitled to that opinion.

Again I haven't watched any games this season due to hunting Rocky in the woods of Maine, so your assessment of Kopecky will get no argument from me. That is why it was a BTW question.

Guest E_S_A_D

The Wings are becoming a joke physically. It won't be pretty when Cam Janssen with St. Louis pummels our layers every other shift coming up.

Dude, of all those people you quoted, I don't think you meant to quote me. Your comments are in complete agreement of mine.

:P I think I quoted you for support, then noted a bunch of other things I wanted to yell about and forgot you were burried in there! :P

The Wings are becoming a joke physically. It won't be pretty when Cam Janssen with St. Louis pummels our layers every other shift coming up.

Agreed, Cam Janssen's 4 hits this season are going to be the difference. And DJ King giving those scary glares from the pressbox are going to make Pavel and Hossa weak in the knees with fright.

All the Wings need to do is have Franzen knock out Jackman again.

Do your normal predictions always include impending doom or are we all just the lucky ones?

Yeah I'm sure our President's trohpy doesn't prove anything. And that hit can be considered clean. Lidstrom put himself out of position to get the puck and he played the body.

But I suppose your opinion on that philosiphy is much more credible than his. I mean, what has Babcock done lately?

Yeah I'm sure our President's trohpy doesn't prove anything. And that hit can be considered clean. Lidstrom put himself out of position to get the puck and he played the body.

But I suppose your opinion on that philosiphy is much more credible than his. I mean, what has Babcock done lately?

???

Babcock is the coach and could say whatever he wants at the time, but our power play wasn't even in the top 5 in the league at the time when this whole "enforcer = power play" tag line started showing up in interviews so it really didn't mean s***.

And yea...President's trophy, oh boy, I forgot that winning the President's trophy negates the need to stick up for your teammates and have some toughness. Let's continue to roll a useless 4th line that isn't tough AND doesn't score goals. We can have the BEST of NEITHER worlds with our current 4th line.

???

Babcock is the coach and could say whatever he wants at the time, but our power play wasn't even in the top 5 in the league at the time when this whole "enforcer = power play" tag line started showing up in interviews so it really didn't mean s***.

And yea...President's trophy, oh boy, I forgot that winning the President's trophy negates the need to stick up for your teammates and have some toughness. Let's continue to roll a useless 4th line that isn't tough AND doesn't score goals. We can have the BEST of NEITHER worlds with our current 4th line.

When Z is healthy, Kris Draper is the 4th line center. Did you forget about him having one of the best faceoff percentages in the league or the defensive ability that he provides? I don't think that qualifies as useless.

When Z is healthy, Kris Draper is the 4th line center. Did you forget about him having one of the best faceoff percentages in the league or the defensive ability that he provides? I don't think that qualifies as useless.

Draper can undoubtedly win faceoffs all day...if he's passing it to Kopecky and Maltby his efforts will be wasted.

Guest micah

What I really don't understand, is why every 4th liner doesn't fight. darren McCarty isn't needed on this team because he's a great fighter - he isn't even a good fighter anymore - I'm not at all certain that he'd be the toughest wing in the lineup if he were playing today. He would however, be the only one willing to drop his gloves. Why don't Kirk Maltby, Darren Helm and Tomas Kopecky regularily stick up for the more useful players on the team? Okay, I know in Maltby's case it's pure cowardice, and he's too old to change his ways now, but what about Helm and Kopecky? I don't demand a legit heaveyweight on this team, we don't really need a guy who has an even chance of KOing Derek BHoogaard, but it would be nice if we had someone who would realise that maybe instigating a fight with Jordin tootoo and breaking his stupid nose and taking the 2 minute penalty plus ejection is worth more than the other contributions he'll likely make in a given game?

I am not a big scary tough aggressive guy, far from it - but I will fight anyone if they f--k with my friends or family. A good team is friends, it is family. I expect all players to be willing to fight anyone in the league in defence of a teamate - that's what good teamates do. Sometimes you get a broken face. That's part of the price of being a good teamate, a good father, a good person. A skilled player does have a lot to weigh when he's deciding whether fighting or letting an incident go is in the best interest of the team, it's true...but a Kopecky or a Maltby? They're nobody, and I expect them to do the dirty work if everybody else is too valuable to.

Redwings record last 3 years (Pres trophy standings) *Major injuries during the year

07-08 54 21 7 115 (Winner) Stanley Cup winner * NONE

06-07 50 19 13 113 (Tied for first lose tie breaker) WCF lose * NONE

05-06 58 16 8 124 (Winner) Lost in 1st round of playoffs * NONE

So tell me again how many players got run in those seasons and how many of them were manhandled to the point were it cost the wings anything. Drake's impact was the forechecking presence had nothing to due with his fists, plus if you remember correctly, seeing as you pay so much attention to the games, Dallas had a horrible regular season and most on here (including me) were questioning him on the team, then he had a terrific post season and showed why he was on the roster.

Hell, in the 07 playoffs, Homer got mashed by two Duck players and then turned around and scored a point on the very first (or at least one of his first shifts) back on the ice. AND he was healthy and playing in the next game which was a loss.

EDIT: Clarity

Ah yes, stats! They just prove everything don't they?

Just off the top of my head:

Didn't Jason Williams get steamrolled and took a shot to the head in the reg season one of those years? (carried off the ice?)

...Same thing for Franzen too?

Franzen also got to be chopped in the chest with a f***in' goalie stick

Lebda got knocked the f*** into a concussion against Calgary

Cujo was run at the end of a game

Lids was plastered by Lappy (who gives a s*** if it's clean, some ******* just took liberties with your Captain..DO SOMETHING!)

Homer had his face smashed into the f***in' glass (oh but don't worry, he scored a f***in' goal afterwards? what a f***in' load!)

There are more, I'm just tired of typing and tired of our players taking abuse with no retribution. Just because a guy gets up afterwards (maybe) doesn't mean the culprit should be off the hook. Downey was excellent last year kicking ass and taking names. Once again, see Zetterberg's and other Red Wings' comments on the whole importance of the tough guy issue. Not everything has to absolutely translate to a point on the scoreboard to be a useful and important part of the overall goal.

puh-lease!

esteef

SO I take it that nobody has picked up McCarty yet off waivers?

Any updates?

Tampa Bay claims Matt Pettinger, waives Jason Ward

St. Louis Blues claim David Koci

Wellwood, Kaspar & McCarty clear.

Anaheim Ducks waive Ken Klee

New York Rangers waive Patrick Rissmiller

Tampa Bay claims Matt Pettinger, waives Jason Ward

St. Louis Blues claim David Koci

Wellwood, Kaspar & McCarty clear.

Anaheim Ducks waive Ken Klee

New York Rangers waive Patrick Rissmiller

Hold up! The Blues have Janssen, King AND Koci?!!!!

Good God Man!

esteef

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../810210425/1361

McCarty clears waivers, stays with organization

Dave Dye / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Forward Darren McCarty cleared waivers and remains a member of the Red Wings organization.

The deadline for another team to claim McCarty was noon Tuesday.

The club hasn't announced whether McCarty will be sent to minor-league affiliate Grand Rapids or put on the NHL roster.

Agreed, Cam Janssen's 4 hits this season are going to be the difference. And DJ King giving those scary glares from the pressbox are going to make Pavel and Hossa weak in the knees with fright.

All the Wings need to do is have Franzen knock out Jackman again.

D.J. King is on IR with a shoulder injury, however, the Blues picked up David "The Fountin" Koci off of waivers. If he playes against Detroit do not be suprised if he runs and causes an injury to one of our players. Also, if this happens I guarentee that not one Red Wing will step in and defend their team mate.

Ah yes, stats! They just prove everything don't they?

Just off the top of my head:

Didn't Jason Williams get steamrolled and took a shot to the head in the reg season one of those years? (carried off the ice?)

...Same thing for Franzen too?

Franzen also got to be chopped in the chest with a f***in' goalie stick

Lebda got knocked the f*** into a concussion against Calgary

Cujo was run at the end of a game

Lids was plastered by Lappy (who gives a s*** if it's clean, some ******* just took liberties with your Captain..DO SOMETHING!)

Homer had his face smashed into the f***in' glass (oh but don't worry, he scored a f***in' goal afterwards? what a f***in' load!)

There are more, I'm just tired of typing and tired of our players taking abuse with no retribution. Just because a guy gets up afterwards (maybe) doesn't mean the culprit should be off the hook. Downey was excellent last year kicking ass and taking names. Once again, see Zetterberg's and other Red Wings' comments on the whole importance of the tough guy issue. Not everything has to absolutely translate to a point on the scoreboard to be a useful and important part of the overall goal.

puh-lease!

esteef

You want retribution, I am not arguing that fact. What I am arguing is that the post I originally quoted was not about seeking revenge/retribution it was that it would impact the success when one of the key players is manhandled.

What good did the slash of Mule do for Calgary, did it cause any hesitation in Mule's game, did Homer have any doubt about going back to the net? NO.

Wanting retribution and thinking that the Wings will lose because players won't be on the ice due to injury are completely different things.