• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

interminded

Support Chris Osgood (and the Detroit Red Wings)

Rate this topic

Sure he gave up a goal quick last night... but by god did you see the diving save he made shortly after... Its fitting how fans can go to YOU SUCK to OZZIE OZZIE in like 3 seconds flat....

Then again we are talking about people who only start the "lets go red wings" chant after a goal is scored now. I was lmao when Mickey was commenting how times have changed... "usually its the chant and the team builds off that and scores... not its the team has to score for it to happen"

Their is a simple reason for that, he does suck... He makes a few good saves here and there granted, but he lets in way too many softies to make up for them. He is good value for money compared to other starters in the league but you get what you pay for.

In a case where the defence infront of him isn't in lock-down mode he is exposed as the weak link that he is.... see the All-Star game last year, talented ofensive players and not much real defence being played. He got roasted worse than the other goalies on the Western squad (or Eastern for that matter) and it took him 2 months to get back in form (limited though that form is).

Moving forward this team needs to invest some money in a decent starting goalie, Howard by all accounts is being out played by Larsson meaning our best goalie prospects are 3-4 years from NHL play, Osgood is getting older and his limited skills are obviously in decline and Conklin is a career backup (see Manny Legace).

Their is a simple reason for that, he does suck... He makes a few good saves here and there granted, but he lets in way too many softies to make up for them. He is good value for money compared to other starters in the league but you get what you pay for.

In a case where the defence infront of him isn't in lock-down mode he is exposed as the weak link that he is.... see the All-Star game last year, talented ofensive players and not much real defence being played. He got roasted worse than the other goalies on the Western squad (or Eastern for that matter) and it took him 2 months to get back in form (limited though that form is).

Moving forward this team needs to invest some money in a decent starting goalie, Howard by all accounts is being out played by Larsson meaning our best goalie prospects are 3-4 years from NHL play, Osgood is getting older and his limited skills are obviously in decline and Conklin is a career backup (see Manny Legace).

Chris Osgood does not suck. This guy is a money goalie. He wins games, and he has been doing it all his career every where he has been, look it up. Osgood is going through a slump right now and the wings need to tighten up and help him through it. This is not all on Osgood. This guy saved us last year when he was the only direction to turn. He won a jennings trophy with Hasek, lowest gaa in the league, future Hall of Famer. Last year there was many who thought he could have won the Conn Smythe trophy if Zetterberg hadn't been so outstanding. Give him a break, things will turn around for him.

yeah yeah yeah, keep typing your verbal spew

well i am glad his sucktastic self was around to bail out our multimillion dollar dud in the first round last year...

Edited by OsGOD

yeah yeah yeah, keep typing your verbal spew

well i am glad his sucktastic self was around to bail out our multimillion dollar dud in the first round last year...

Nothing Hasek could have turned that around just as easily...

3 straight games with 2 goals against in the space of 30 seconds or less. Exactly how would Dom have turned that around?

Won Game 1 because of him.

Won Game 2 in spite of him.

Lost Games 3+4 because of him.

but alas he couldn't cause his ass was yanked.. and the "worst" goalie backstopped the cup champs

but alas he couldn't cause his ass was yanked.. and the "worst" goalie backstopped the cup champs

Face it Osgood at his best is average and at present doesn't deserve a starting spot in the NHL... take the blinders off...

You're using the NHL ASG as your basis that Osgood sucks? :lol:

Ozzie sure looked in great form when we needed him most, unlike another goaltender on the team. But that was just because of the defense in front of Oz right? Do you like winning championships or do you want to sacrifice a lot of skill on this team to pay for an expensive goalie? You clearly are a fickle, turn-on-the-player/team at any chance fan. Are you going to be here when Ozzie and the defense turn things around?

Face it Osgood at his best is average and at present doesn't deserve a starting spot in the NHL... take the blinders off...

LMAO... oh s***... how can one argue that response

I, like many, have had numerous occasions this season when I think "damnit, Ozzy...." But its not like the guy is phoning it in. I genuinely think that Ozzy is more the victim of s***ty luck this season than thoroughly poor goaltending. Has his play been subpar? Yes. But with all the turnovers and strange bounces so far this season, I've look at a lot of the goals against and thought "thats a tough break".

And if anyone is frustrated you can tell its Ozzy. After last nights game and the team came over to celebrate the win he looked terribly disappointed in his performance and really has been the number one advertiser of disdain for his play.

Last night, 1) he had one goal come straight down the pipe and beat him high glove from about 10' out, wouldn't expect him to get that.

2) A short-sider that barely found a hole.

3) Once again, a bounce off the back wall that goes straight to the opposition with an open-net.

4) A rebound that unfortunately went straight from one Sedin to the other.

5) And finally, a deflection through a congregation in front of the crease.

I can only blame Ozzy for maybe two of those goals. At this point in the season, Osgood is his own biggest critic and we all know he can do a hell of a lot better, as with the rest of the team. All that said, the Wings are winning and hopefully by after New Years they'll start to focus AS A TEAM and get the ship righted for playoffs.

Unfortunately, all those "bad bounces" are happening game after game after game after game. Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, 3 times is a trend.

Right now its only our sick collection of forwards that is keeping his W-L record so healthy. I love Ozzie and I hated the way the fans ran him out of town first time round, but right now his play is positively brutal and the last few weeks we can no longer pin the blame on our D. As the season goes on and on I am getting more and more nervous about the playoffs - Ozzie is running out of time to sort his game out.

Wow, so many hypocritical views and runaround logic in this thread on both sides (gotta love goalie threads).

Why are we bringing up the past with Osgood? We should only be looking at his play THIS season, which has been dismal. The OP in this thread kinda reminds me of the Britney Spears speech when she said we should support the US President in everything he does.......

Come on? For real?

Hasek shouldn't even pop up in this thread, he is retired and can't solve any current/future goaltending issues.

I would love to see a guy like Ryan Miller in Detroit, I just don't know what that would mean giving up.

Agreed. Some people just can't resist, it seems, as they somehow believe they can make Ozzie look better by trashing Hasek. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Ozzie's getting older and I've thought all along he doesn't need to shoulder a Brodeur-like load to be successful. Conks is a great goalie, better than he's been given credit for here, but he's not the future.

I like Miller, too, but so does Buffalo. I am sure he'd like to be a Wing, however. Doesn't everybody want to be a Red Wing? :D

I don't think many would claim that Ozzy has played good this year - he has not. What many are saying is the D hasn't been good and Ozzy hasn't been good BUT Ozzy is a good goalie. Last year when another goalie was going through a similar slump not many said he had never been good, was one of the worst goalies, or that he didn't deserve his wins or his stats. That is what I don't like, not that people criticize his play lately or think he is in a slump but the contention that he has never been good at all.

I think I was not complete with my statement. I do not, absolutely do not think Ozzy is a bad goalie or I am ready to throw in the towel. s*** I was here for the playoff's. Ozzy played great before and is great. He WILL come back around.

Edited by IceMunkee

I guess we wouldn't be normal fans, if we don't stress out on the fact that our goalie isn't playing like we know he can. We all know he is a professional. We all know what he is capable of doing. I scream at the tv like everyone else, when something gets by or whatever. I have trust in the ownership, KH, Babs, and the rest of the professionals that run this machine of a hockey team.

But as a fan of this team for 25 years now, I think back at some of the teams in the eighties. Fans would have given their first born child for a team with this kind of talent and depth we have this season. Just be glad we have Ozzie. Were lucky we dont have Turco blowing it all for us!

I guess we wouldn't be normal fans, if we don't stress out on the fact that our goalie isn't playing like we know he can. We all know he is a professional. We all know what he is capable of doing. I scream at the tv like everyone else, when something gets by or whatever. I have trust in the ownership, KH, Babs, and the rest of the professionals that run this machine of a hockey team.

But as a fan of this team for 25 years now, I think back at some of the teams in the eighties. Fans would have given their first born child for a team with this kind of talent and depth we have this season. Just be glad we have Ozzie. Were lucky we dont have Turco blowing it all for us!

I think you make an outstanding point here! Yes we can be concerned and voice our concerns but I also think we need to be grateful for the caliber of hockey team we have and have had since '95.

ozzie has always been an inconsistent up and down goalie. that goal last night that he let in when he should have been jammed on the post pissed me off. i feel like he's not as comfortable this season cause he feels that its on him to carry the team. last year he had hasek and they worked well 2gether as a tandom. not alot of pressure cause they each knew that the other guy was capable of backing them up. i like conklin and i think he's a solid goalie but i dont know that ozzie is comfortable enough with him to just let it go and me comfortable in net. that said, the d needs to tighten up a bit too. i keep feeling like the wings are playing terrible but their record is pretty darn good. we'll be ok, i just hope the d solidifies and the goalies start to settle in. we cant count on 5+ goals a night....

Why isn't he paid like a greatest goaltender?

Alot of you guys think Osgood is so great. Why isnt he paid for being so great then? Because hes not. I like Osgood and im glad hes on our team but hes not a great goaltender hes a decent goaltender and thats it. Thats all he ever was and thats all he ever will be.

Hometown discount?!?!?! Wanted to play for a winner.

I think you make an outstanding point here! Yes we can be concerned and voice our concerns but I also think we need to be grateful for the caliber of hockey team we have and have had since '95.

problem is most of the fans are circa cup win in 97 and just stuck around cause we haven't stopped winning... they don't know anything of real troubles.

Which is why i laugh at the concerns of the team right now when we are still winning games. Back in the day we would play like this and lose every freakin game... now that was the fun times to say you were a wings fan!

Edited by OsGOD

problem is most of the fans are circa cup win in 97 and just stuck around cause we haven't stopped winning... they don't know anything of real troubles.

Which is why i laugh at the concerns of the team right now when we are still winning games. Back in the day we would play like this and lose every freakin game... now that was the fun times to say you were a wings fan!

I hope I am on a "LetGoLions" board one day having a discussion like this. I don't know how much longer I can suffer.

I hope I am on a "LetGoLions" board one day having a discussion like this. I don't know how much longer I can suffer.

yeah hopefully for your sake there will be a day. i never thought i would see it for the wings back when i first started watching them