• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

big_D

LOL check out this GEM of a Topic....

Rate this topic

most of the posters there are sane. they realize the youngster that started the thread is guilty of wishful thinking. the kid falls back on "i said potential" dynasty. reminds me of some flamers here. do you expect self defeating threads on opponent fan boards? not everyone is as pessimistic as some here.

Yay!

I'm not sure how anybody could accuse a Chicago sports fan of optimism (at least the good/old ones). This is, after all, a town that has the Cubs, the Blackhawks, AND the Bears (who at least won a game this year, unlike other NFL teams I could mention.). Teams that have founded their entire franchise history on broken dreams and broken promises.

Guest DetroitBoy313
In 95' The DRW won 62 games

In 95' we were swept by the Devils,that was the lockout season but we were heavily favored to win the cup that year.1996 we won 62 games and was beat by Colorado in the conference finals.

They're not a bad team, they beat us A LOT during the regular season last year and that was just before we won a cup.

Now is calling them "elite" a bit of a stretch? In my opinion, yes. I believe appearances, not to mention success in the playoffs is a requirement before you're considered "elite".

Having said that, good for their fans, they're allowed to root for their team and get complacent, a lot of older Red Wings fans know just what it's like to watch your team suck and slowly gain that young talent that will lead you to the promise land where you expect to be the best year in and year out. These guys are allowed to have something to cheer for too, let them go ahead and root against us and have playoff dreams, they've been cellar dwellers for a long time.

Besides, even if they find success in the postseason, it won't change the fact that I will always support Detroit the same way, and that's whats important. It's all about competition, let the fans cheer that's our job, just remember it's what happens on the ice that matters. People CAN actually be civil to rival fans when they understand that concept, even if most Chicago fans idea of fun at a game is insulting / assaulting those opposing fans.

Guest mindfly
Doesn't matter. If they become really good you can just become a Hawks fan.

I know you're new to hockey so FYI, the entry draft has nothing to do with the salary cap and was around well before it.

Before the salary cap the red wings could spend alot more and it didn't matter if they wouldn't get the early first rounders because they could always buy the best players, that's what i meant.

Edited by mindfly

Yay!

I'm not sure how anybody could accuse a Chicago sports fan of optimism (at least the good/old ones). This is, after all, a town that has the Cubs, the Blackhawks, AND the Bears (who at least won a game this year, unlike other NFL teams I could mention.). Teams that have founded their entire franchise history on broken dreams and broken promises.

yeah looks like the bear are doing soooo good this year..this is a hockey forum...yeah the lions sucked...and your point is? win a few cups before you start calling yourself an elite team....don't forget the last few years.....blackcawks were a joke of a team right there with st louis and the laughs. how do you think you got the high first round draft picks? it sure wasn't from your "elite" team. hahahahaha

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

yeah looks like the bear are doing soooo good this year..this is a hockey forum...yeah the lions sucked...and your point is? win a few cups before you start calling yourself an elite team....don't forget the last few years.....blackcawks were a joke of a team right there with st louis and the laughs. how do you think you got the high first round draft picks? it sure wasn't from your "elite" team. hahahahaha

How about not sounding like the typical Hawks fan on their board over there?

But your basic point is true - playoff success must be achieved to be considered an elite team.

Guest Shoreline
Before the salary cap the red wings could spend alot more and it didn't matter if they wouldn't get the early first rounders because they could always buy the best players, that's what i meant.

The Red Wings got where they were because of the draft and key signings, but certainly would not have happened, any of the 4 recent cups, without decent drafting. Which is why the Wings were getting accolades in the late 90s for drafting their players then too. Holmstrom? Fedorov? Lidstrom? Yzerman? Kozlov? Vladdy? LaPointe? Ozzie? D-Mac? Then later Dats? Z? Kronwall? Hope that list of "bought" players rings a bell, not to mention the countless roleplayers on the team who weren't big names but helped the team win the recent 4 cups, drafted by the Wings (or taken a chance on before they were actually established). Buying the best players meant s*** even pre-salary cap era. If you don't believe me, ask the New York Rangers.

Well, it's safe to say you missed the entire point. I was denigrating the post by that wayward Blackhawks fan, not glorifying it.

hawks a dynasty! everyone let's get on a bandwagon, clearly wings suck now so we should all cheer for the hawks... yes pigs will fly also if hawks win a cup this year...

I'll take optimism, even if it is blind at times, every time over the Negative Nancy and Panic Attack attitudes that happen in here sometimes.

Well, good for you. Mr. Always Optimist is boring attidue, why would you say Wings rule when in fact they put little to no effort into most of the games?

That's like saying this food is delicious despite the fact it totally sucks.

Edited by Reds4Life

Well, good for you. Mr. Always Optimist is boring attidue, why would you say Wings rule when in fact they put little to no effort into most of the games?

That's like saying this food is delicious despite the fact it totally sucks.

Because the Wings are my favorite team and I support them even if they are struggling.

I'll take the boring be a fan through thick and thin attitude everytime over getting heartburn and being angry and thinking this team is going to hit rock bottom when nothing even close is suggesting these things. I used to be negative pessimistic man yelling all the time watching sports, it ain't worth it to me anymore. Made me upset. I don't like being upset. Because if I was upset, I'm not happy. And if I'm upset and not happy, it is harder being optimistic.

You want to be pessimistic and get angry and think things are terrible and worry 24 hours out of the day doing that, have at it. Don't get on my case though for thinking differently when I'm not getting on yours.

Because the Wings are my favorite team and I support them even if they are struggling.

I'll take the boring be a fan through thick and thin attitude everytime over getting heartburn and being angry and thinking this team is going to hit rock bottom when nothing even close is suggesting these things. I used to be negative pessimistic man yelling all the time watching sports, it ain't worth it to me anymore. Made me upset. I don't like being upset. Because if I was upset, I'm not happy. And if I'm upset and not happy, it is harder being optimistic.

You want to be pessimistic and get angry and think things are terrible and worry 24 hours out of the day doing that, have at it. Don't get on my case though for thinking differently when I'm not getting on yours.

Wings are my favourite team and I support them, but I have no problem saying they suck when they actually do. I am not upset, angry or pessimistic when I say Wings and/or particular player plays bad, it's just the way I see them/him at the very moment :)

No team can keep a pack of young talent anymore. Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, and Seabrook could easily each cost 6M a piece on the open market, and then you have guys like Campbell and Huet on the books, along with other guys like Versteeg and Byfuglien. Within the next two and a half years, they're gonna have to re-sign every single one of those guys except Sharp. Good luck with that, guys.

With that said, I'd say the next 5 years easily look brighter for the Hawks than the Wings.

Based on what? Most of our top players are in their prime and we have some very good young guys in GR.

The only negative I see is Lids retiring and Hossa going away.

They definitly have a bright future, but potential dynasty? My definition of dynasty requires at minimum back to back cups, or 2 in 3 years... to have the potential you need at least one. They have the potential to win the cup, we have the potential of a dynasty.

And they are getting ahead of themselves... "we won 8 strait games, we are unbeatable woooo" <-- that line of thinking is naive. The Wings had a 7, 8, and 9 game winnning streaks last year and I don't remember any of us calling the Wings a "potential dynasty". This is probably because we have been on top of the league for the better part of 17 years and we know that regular season sucess does not equal playoff sucess.

Exhibit A

In 95' The DRW won 62 games... and were swept in the finals.

Exhibit B

In 06' The DRW won 58 games... and lost in the first round. :puke:

The point is you have to lose before you win. But I don't mind if the Hawks fans over excite themselves and get there heart broken, boys will be boys.

I get your point but you have your facts wrong.

1994-1995 was a srtike shortened season. The Wings won 33 out of 48 games and were swept in the finals

In 1995-96 won 62 games and lost in the WCF to Colorado.

If 'Dynasty' starts with making the playoffs, they are in good shape.

It's been awhile since they have, they are newbies.

Remember those good ol' days with Roenick and Savard and Cheli and Eddie? Ah, yes.

Lost. Lost. Lost.

Let them enjoy themselves and then be crushed when it doesn't happen.