• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CrossoverThrash

Ovechkin CHEAP SHOT

Rate this topic

It shouldn't matter how he feels. If it was a dirty hit, there should be a suspension.

This is similar to the stuff Ryan Hollweg always gets suspended for. It will be interesting to see whether the league upholds its double standard as shown by Chris Pronger last year, when he tried to step on someone.

:clap:

Exactly.

The only reason why he won't get suspended is the name on the back of his Jersey that is the only reason!!

That was a boarding hit that could have been avoided easily, it is not like a player at center ice leaning to grab the puck just before a hit. That is a last second oh s*** play. This play, IMO, AO tracked him down from the crease to the wall. I have a feeling AO was expecting him to turn left or right and be able to nail him either way he went. However the end result was a nasty hit directly into the boards. Intention, end result, player history are all irrelevant until we start talking about how long the suspension should be!

Not a dirty hit IMO, and Ovie sounded sincere in his apology and wanting to get updates on Heward's condition. Just an unfortunate play that happens several times a night, only this time the player got hurt. No suspension.

Some one gets board several times a night, really? honestly?

Usually when I see a player go into the boards like that the trailing/forechecking player pinches him up against the boards and tries to force the player with the puck to pass it along the boards, holding said player against the boards until another forechecker comes into bother the other defenseman.

Oh well tomatoes/tomatos!

Kostopolous clearly got his hands up around the head. Ovechkin's was a clean hit in a bad spot. The guy turned the wrong way.

Part of me says he should still get a game, but the other part of me is saying that you can't suspend someone every time someone gets hurt.

Edited by steveyzerman

Not a dirty hit IMO, and Ovie sounded sincere in his apology and wanting to get updates on Heward's condition. Just an unfortunate play that happens several times a night, only this time the player got hurt. No suspension.

Once again, that shouldn't matter. To me, Marty McCsorley also sounded somewhat apologetic after his incident with Brashear.

Kostopolous clearly got his hands up around the head. Ovechkin's was a clean hit in a bad spot. The guy turned the wrong way.

Part of me says he should still get a game, but the other part of me is saying that you can't suspend someone every time someone gets hurt.

Watch the video and tell me when Heward "Turns" I am curious to know when he "turned", the last time I saw him "Turn" was just outside the crease.

He may have not been traveling in a straight line but the last time he "Turned" was 2 full seconds before he was hit while facing the boards.

BTW I never compared this hit to Kostopolous, I used Bergereon and Jones, but only to show what it means to turn last second.

Okay, haven't read the whole thread, but I'll assume someone has already said what I have...but it clearly looks like Ovechkin let up on the hit at the end, seeing that Heward was prone and that this is just one of those freak occurrences.

If this was a deliberate thing, Ovechkin wouldn't have skated over to Heward and stood over him while they were strapping him in.

Think of someone like Pronger when he injures someone (and it's a matter of opinion whether or not the injuries he causes are deliberate or not). He never seems to show concern for the injured player. Just skates back to the bench and yucks it up with his teammates. Same for a guy like Tootoo.

Has Ovechkin made some questionable hits in the past? Yes. But this isn't one of them.

Ok.. I still don't think Ovechkin will get suspended unless they are really desperate to make a big statement about headshots, intentional or not. But one thing I don't understand is how people can throw in Chris Pronger's suspension along side Ryan Hollweg?... Hollweg is a really dirty player who got suspended for hitting people from behind, what.. 4 or 5 times in a row?.. The NHL was hard on him because he obviously wasnt learning his lesson.. And Chris Pronger.. well I know we are all Detroit fans and hate the guy.. but I hate to break it to ya.. Chris Pronger is a STAR PLAYER... maybe he is not as much of a superstar as Ovie but its not like we are talking about someone who hasnt accomplished anything... This guy is usually right around the when it comes time for the Norris trophy to be awarded and he has been suspended how many times?... People are making it sound like star players get away with everything and no star player has ever been suspended..

Once again, that shouldn't matter. To me, Marty McCsorley also sounded somewhat apologetic after his incident with Brashear.

Hmm.. Did he say "Im sorry , I didnt mean to swing my stick like an axe and hit him on the top of the head?" lol

Guest Four

Wow, those of you saying this is a cheap shot are completely wrong. This was in no way a cheap shot! It looked even safer in slow motion, where normally youd see the face get pushed into the glass and such, but the thing is; IT NEVER REALLY DID, it was the side of the guys head that hit, and he had his helmet his the glass. It didn't even look like that hard of a hit. There was no real "cheapshot" head hunting contact on the play, Ovechkin pushed the guys shoulders when hitting him and rolled off to where the head was positioned. Not to mention Ovechkin was ALREADY COMMITTED to the hit before the player even turned his body. This was an unfortunate play, but in no way a "cheap shot". Get real.

qft edicius.

Edited by Four

Ok.. I still don't think Ovechkin will get suspended unless they are really desperate to make a big statement about headshots, intentional or not. But one thing I don't understand is how people can throw in Chris Pronger's suspension along side Ryan Hollweg?... Hollweg is a really dirty player who got suspended for hitting people from behind, what.. 4 or 5 times in a row?.. The NHL was hard on him because he obviously wasnt learning his lesson.. And Chris Pronger.. well I know we are all Detroit fans and hate the guy.. but I hate to break it to ya.. Chris Pronger is a STAR PLAYER... maybe he is not as much of a superstar as Ovie but its not like we are talking about someone who hasnt accomplished anything... This guy is usually right around the when it comes time for the Norris trophy to be awarded and he has been suspended how many times?... People are making it sound like star players get away with everything and no star player has ever been suspended..

Chris Simon gets suspended a lot of a lot longer than Pronger even though the two have very similar track records. In fact one of the only differences is that Simon has been suspended for longer consistently for doing the same thing as Pronger and actually, in the stomping incident Simon set the standard for suspensions. Then Pronger came a long and got less of a suspension.

Pronger suspended 8 games for a stomp even though it was his 8th suspension. (Already suspended once for kicking a player)

Simon suspended 30 games for a stomp it was his 8th offense and that was the reason given for the length of his suspension.

Simon had just come off of the stick to the face so I see 10 games as a reasonable extra, but that would have meant Pronger would have had to get 20. He didn't!

I can fain sympathy, I can stand over a guy and make it look like I am the most apologetic sincere person and in the locker room or in my own place or in my head I could be thinking. There now maybe that ******* will think twice before taking the last Funny Bone off of the table during pre game meal on his new team.

We don't know what his intentions were, and I know for a fact McSorely did apologize and say he was sorry and it was an overreaction and he should have been able to control his temper, and that he knew what he did was wrong and it impacted the league negatively. He showed a ton of remorse. The fact is remorse and sincerity mean jack s***. The hit is what matters and that should have been a boarding call!

Wow, those of you saying this is a cheap shot are completely wrong. This was in no way a cheap shot! It looked even safer in slow motion, where normally youd see the face get pushed into the glass and such, but the thing is; IT NEVER REALLY DID, it was the side of the guys head that hit, and he had his helmet his the glass. It didn't even look like that hard of a hit. There was no real "cheapshot" head hunting contact on the play, Ovechkin pushed the guys shoulders when hitting him and rolled off to where the head was positioned. Not to mention Ovechkin was ALREADY COMMITTED to the hit before the player even turned his body. This was an unfortunate play, but in no way a "cheap shot". Get real.

qft edicius.

I agree -it was not a cheap shot. But it was a dangerous hit from behind that lead to an injury. In my mind, that is worthy of a one day suspension.

qft edicius.

Please watch the video again, as AO definitely makes contact with the back of Heward's helmet, thus head!

The last time Heward Turned was at the crease, you really mean to tell me in the 2 seconds that passed from the crease to the board a player with moves and speed like AO couldn't have avoided that hit?

But because the side of his head not his face hit the boards it is clean, because in slow motion it looked soft. Me punching my mother in the face could look soft in slow mo, but I doubt it would make her cheek feel any better!

s*** anything looks safer in slow motion because you lose the speed of impact and you also lose the sound of the hit.

The side of his head hit because he was looking for his teammate who was behind the net, he was looking to the side because no one should hit him from behind when his shoulders are parallel to the boards. I am not sure about you but my head and shoulders move independently of each other so I can be looking one way while my body faces almost the complete opposite way, depending on flexibility!

While the intention may not have been there it was a bad hit, cheap may be a bad word to describe it, but it was dirty and should not have been done!

Chris Simon gets suspended a lot of a lot longer than Pronger even though the two have very similar track records. In fact one of the only differences is that Simon has been suspended for longer consistently for doing the same thing as Pronger and actually, in the stomping incident Simon set the standard for suspensions. Then Pronger came a long and got less of a suspension.

Pronger suspended 8 games for a stomp even though it was his 8th suspension. (Already suspended once for kicking a player)

Simon suspended 30 games for a stomp it was his 8th offense and that was the reason given for the length of his suspension.

Simon had just come off of the stick to the face so I see 10 games as a reasonable extra, but that would have meant Pronger would have had to get 20. He didn't!

I can fain sympathy, I can stand over a guy and make it look like I am the most apologetic sincere person and in the locker room or in my own place or in my head I could be thinking. There now maybe that ******* will think twice before taking the last Funny Bone off of the table during pre game meal on his new team.

We don't know what his intentions were, and I know for a fact McSorely did apologize and say he was sorry and it was an overreaction and he should have been able to control his temper, and that he knew what he did was wrong and it impacted the league negatively. He showed a ton of remorse. The fact is remorse and sincerity mean jack s***. The hit is what matters and that should have been a boarding call!

Ok I am definitely not going to argue that there is a double standard in the league.. But how can there not be.. It's hard for me to argue for Chris Pronger because I hate the guy but thats just the way it is... The double standard is there because There is a huge difference between a guy like Chris Pronger and guys like Ryan Hollweg and Chris Simon.. That difference is that pronger is actually a great player.. Ryan Hollweg and Chris Simon bring nothing to their teams besides physical play, trash talking and fighting.. Chris Pronger plays about 20 minutes a game.. when is the last time anybody saw Chris Simon get more than.. lets say 4? Maybe this shouldnt matter and maybe all suspensions should be equal no matter who it involves but thats not the way it is..

And why do people keep saying what if it was Pronger on Datsyuk?.. Ok.. well what if it was Hossa finishing his check on Heward?.. You can take out the names of Ovechkin and Heward and replace them with anybody's names.. It doesnt change anything..

In my opinion the hit from behind on Lilja in the Winter Classic looked worse than this hit and in the end Lilja ended up being the person who got the penalty for it..

FYI

Chris Pronger's career suspensions and victims:

June 3, 2007: with Anaheim - one playoff game, blow to the head (Ottawa's Dean McAmmond).

May 15, 2007: with Anaheim - one playoff game, blow to the head (Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom).

March 14, 2004: with St. Louis - one game, kicking (Calgary's Ville Nieminen)

April 3, 2002: with St. Louis - two games, cross-check (Dallas's Brenden Morrow).

Oct. 11, 2000: with St. Louis - one game, leaving bench for altercation (Los Angeles's Kelly Buchberger).

Dec. 17, 1998: with St. Louis - four games, high stick (Phoenix's Jeremy Roenick).

Oct. 29, 1995: with St. Louis - four games, slashing (Washington's Pat Peake)

While history of violence seems to escalate certain players length of suspension I think it would be fair to say here that Pronger being a star has led to his suspensions decreasing over the years.

Conversely here are Simon's altercations:

Deliberately stepping on leg of Jarkko Ruutu, Penguins: 30 games, Dec. 2007

High stick to face of Ryan Hollweg, Rangers: 25 games, March 2007

Kneeing Sergei Zubov, Stars: 2 games, March 2004

Cross-checking, punching Ruslan Fedotenko, Lightning: 2 games, Jan. 2004

Elbowing Anders Eriksson, Panthers: 2 games, April 2001

Cross-check to face of Peter Popovic, Penguins: 1 playoff game, April 2000

Racial comments directed at Mike Grier, Oilers: 3 games, Nov. 1997

Slash to head of Dennis Vial, Senators: 5 games, Sept. 1994

qft edicius.

nobody here thinks it was, the title was based on 1 replay late at night, still suspendable for a game because it was unintentionally dirty

Edited by CrossoverThrash

Ok I am definitely not going to argue that there is a double standard in the league.. But how can there not be.. It's hard for me to argue for Chris Pronger because I hate the guy but thats just the way it is... The double standard is there because There is a huge difference between a guy like Chris Pronger and guys like Ryan Hollweg and Chris Simon.. That difference is that pronger is actually a great player.. Ryan Hollweg and Chris Simon bring nothing to their teams besides physical play, trash talking and fighting.. Chris Pronger plays about 20 minutes a game.. when is the last time anybody saw Chris Simon get more than.. lets say 4? Maybe this shouldnt matter and maybe all suspensions should be equal no matter who it involves but thats not the way it is..

And why do people keep saying what if it was Pronger on Datsyuk?.. Ok.. well what if it was Hossa finishing his check on Heward?.. You can take out the names of Ovechkin and Heward and replace them with anybody's names.. It doesnt change anything..

In my opinion the hit from behind on Lilja in the Winter Classic looked worse than this hit and in the end Lilja ended up being the person who got the penalty for it..

Lilja turned into it at the last second, from what i remember it wasn't high or an elbow

First off in my mind you are vastly underrating players, because Simon and Hollweg don't end up on the stat sheet that much you mean they have no value. Well what about Maltby, Downey, McCarty, Draper?

You're right about changing the names changing nothing, Hossa should be suspended if he hits a guy like that. Not sure why you brought that up. I have been saying all along that changing the names should change nothing, but my point was that if you insert Dats and Pronger people on here would be up in arms. That is wrong, that hit should be punished the same way if Crosby, Hossa, Modano, or Bobby Ryan do it!

Great player or not a penalty is a penalty, because he is a great player do you let him get away with a slash?

How about offsides, does he get an extra half a puck?

How about goals, does he get to count the ones that touch the line but not cross it?

If you are going to bend some of the rules for him why not all of them?

Sidenote:

I won't comment on the Lilja thing because I have a huge problem with officiating in all leagues and that to me is an example of officials not being able to keep up with the talent on the ice.

What are most officials, frustrated Athletes who didn't have what it took to play the game at the next level so they officiate. what happens they are usually late or out of position and make a reactionary call.

It is like a 5' tall Ref in basketball, what in the hell can he see in the game that happens above 6'!

Guest Four
Please watch the video again, as AO definitely makes contact with the back of Heward's helmet, thus head!

The last time Heward Turned was at the crease, you really mean to tell me in the 2 seconds that passed from the crease to the board a player with moves and speed like AO couldn't have avoided that hit?

But because the side of his head not his face hit the boards it is clean, because in slow motion it looked soft. Me punching my mother in the face could look soft in slow mo, but I doubt it would make her cheek feel any better!

s*** anything looks safer in slow motion because you lose the speed of impact and you also lose the sound of the hit.

The side of his head hit because he was looking for his teammate who was behind the net, he was looking to the side because no one should hit him from behind when his shoulders are parallel to the boards. I am not sure about you but my head and shoulders move independently of each other so I can be looking one way while my body faces almost the complete opposite way, depending on flexibility!

While the intention may not have been there it was a bad hit, cheap may be a bad word to describe it, but it was dirty and should not have been done!

Did you really not see Heward turn to shoot the puck back around the boards when Ovechkin was already committed? And I already mentioned he rolled off on the to side of Heward's head. If Ovechkin didn't roll off to try and make less an impact and get the puck, this wouldn't have happened. He was playing hockey. I'd like to see you out there trying to stop about 1 meter before hitting a guy as he suddenly tries to throw the puck behind him. You guys over react way to much, if the guy didn't hurt his neck, none of you would be calling for a suspension. It was an accident; that happens when you play split-second hockey. And if you punched your mom to the side of the head when she was wearing a helmet, I'm sure it wouldn't make that much of an impact and your mom wouldn't be very hurt, although I don't know why you'd want to harm your mom; but whatever floats your boat. The hit on Lilja yesterday was a worse hit than the one Ovechkin gave to Heward and the only reason why that one isn't being as talked about nearly as much is because Lilja didn't get injured.

Edited by Four

Did you really not see Heward turn to shoot the puck back around the boards when Ovechkin was already committed? And I already mentioned he rolled off on the to side of Heward's head. If Ovechkin didn't roll off to try and make less an impact and get the puck, this wouldn't have happened. He was playing hockey. I'd like to see you out there trying to stop about 1 meter before hitting a guy as he suddenly tries to throw the puck behind him. You guys over react way to much, if the guy didn't hurt his neck, none of you would be calling for a suspension. It was an accident; that happens when you play split-second hockey. And if you punched your mom to the side of the head when she was wearing a helmet, I'm sure it wouldn't make that much of an impact and your mom wouldn't be very hurt, although I don't know why you'd want to harm your mom; but whatever floats your boat. The hit on Lilja yesterday was a worse hit than the one Ovechkin gave to Heward and the only reason why that one isn't being as talked about nearly as much is because Lilja didn't get injured.

But ovechkin followed him in, huard didn't suddenly make a sharp turn. Lilja turned into his, and lilja did get injured but not severely.

He doesn't turn he stops, yes his skates change the direction they were going but that is a hockey stop, from the crease Heward heads toward the wall where the Crease and the wall meet, half way there he changes his angle to go about 3 feet up the wall, but at no point does he change directions!

Whilst 10 is funny none of these describe the motion that Heward made. He was shoulders parallel to the board from the painted crease into the walls!!!

Turn:

1 a: to cause to move around an axis or a center : make rotate or revolve <turn a wheel> <turn a crank> b (1): to cause to move around so as to effect a desired end (as of locking, opening, or shutting) <turned the knob till the door opened> (2): to affect or alter the functioning of (as a mechanical device) or the level of (as sound) by such movement <turn the oven to 400°> <turn the music to full volume> c: to execute or perform by rotating or revolving <turn handsprings> d: to twist out of line or shape : wrench <had turned his ankle>

2 a (1): to cause to change position by moving through an arc of a circle <turned her chair to the fire> (2): to cause to move around a center so as to show another side of <turn the page> (3): to cause (as a scale) to move so as to register weight b: to revolve mentally : think over : ponder

3 a: to reverse the sides or surfaces of : invert <turn pancakes> <turn the shirt inside out>: as (1): to dig or plow so as to bring the lower soil to the surface <turn the compost weekly> (2): to make (as a garment) over by reversing the material and resewing <turn a collar> (3): to invert feet up and face down (as a character, rule, or slug) in setting type b: to reverse or upset the order or disposition of <everything was turned topsy-turvy> c: to disturb or upset the mental balance of : derange , unsettle <a mind turned by grief> d: to set in another especially contrary direction4 a: to bend or change the course of : divert <a battle that turned the tide of history> b: to cause to retreat <used fire hoses to turn the mob> c: to alter the drift, tendency, or expected result of d: to bend a course around or about : round <turned the corner at full speed>

5 a (1): to direct or point (as the face) in a specified way or direction (2): to present by a change in direction or position <turning his back to his guests> b: to bring to bear (as by aiming, pointing, or focusing) : train <turned the light into the dark doorway> <turned a questioning eye toward her> c: to direct (as the attention or mind) toward or away from something d: to direct the employment of : apply , devote <turned his skills to the service of humankind> e (1): to cause to rebound or recoil <turns their argument against them> (2): to make antagonistic : prejudice <turn a child against its mother> f (1): to cause to go in a particular direction <turned our steps homeward> (2): drive , send <turn cows to pasture> <turning hunters off his land> (3): to convey or direct out of an inverted receptacle <turn the mixture into a baking dish>

6 a (1): to make acid or sour (2): to change the color of (as foliage) b (1): convert , transform <turn defeat into victory> (2): translate , paraphrase c: to cause to become of a specified nature or appearance <turned him into a frog> <embarrassment turned her face red> d: to exchange for something else <turn coins into paper money> e: to cause to defect to another side

7 a: to shape especially in a rounded form by applying a cutting tool while revolving in a lathe b: to give a rounded form to by any means <turn the heel of a sock> c: to shape or mold artistically, gracefully, or neatly <a well turned phrase>

8: to make a fold, bend, or curve in: a: to form by bending <turn a lead pipe> b: to cause (the edge of a blade) to bend back or over : blunt , dull

9 a: to keep (as money or goods) moving ; specifically : to dispose of (a stock) to make room for another b: to gain in the course of business <turning a quick profit> c: to make use of <turned her education to advantage> d: to carry to completion : pull off <turned a double play> <turn a deal>

10: to engage in (an act of prostitution) <turn tricks>intransitive verb

Whilst 10 is funny none of these describe the motion that Heward made. He was shoulders parallel to the board from the painted crease into the walls!!!

Edited by Opie

First off in my mind you are vastly underrating players, because Simon and Hollweg don't end up on the stat sheet that much you mean they have no value. Well what about Maltby, Downey, McCarty, Draper?

You're right about changing the names changing nothing, Hossa should be suspended if he hits a guy like that. Not sure why you brought that up. I have been saying all along that changing the names should change nothing, but my point was that if you insert Dats and Pronger people on here would be up in arms. That is wrong, that hit should be punished the same way if Crosby, Hossa, Modano, or Bobby Ryan do it!

Great player or not a penalty is a penalty, because he is a great player do you let him get away with a slash?

How about offsides, does he get an extra half a puck?

How about goals, does he get to count the ones that touch the line but not cross it?

If you are going to bend some of the rules for him why not all of them?

Sidenote:

I won't comment on the Lilja thing because I have a huge problem with officiating in all leagues and that to me is an example of officials not being able to keep up with the talent on the ice.

What are most officials, frustrated Athletes who didn't have what it took to play the game at the next level so they officiate. what happens they are usually late or out of position and make a reactionary call.

It is like a 5' tall Ref in basketball, what in the hell can he see in the game that happens above 6'!

I am not vastly underrating players.. Im saying that maybe these suspensions seem to have a double standard because of the impact on the team.. Im saying that suspending Pronger for 5 Games is probably going to have more of an effect on his team than suspending Simon for an entire season..

I know guys like McCarty, Draper and Maltby have value on our team but what do you think would effect our team more.. Maltby getting a 30 game suspension or Datsyuk or Lidstrom getting a 5 game suspension?

I am not vastly underrating players.. Im saying that maybe these suspensions seem to have a double standard because of the impact on the team.. Im saying that suspending Pronger for 5 Games is probably going to have more of an effect on his team than suspending Simon for an entire season..

I know guys like McCarty, Draper and Maltby have value on our team but what do you think would effect our team more.. Maltby getting a 30 game suspension or Datsyuk or Lidstrom getting a 5 game suspension?

tbh prongers suspension on the kessler incident helped his team