• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

XxGoWingsxX

A new netminder?

Rate this topic

Ok, so I have a friend who lives in edmonton and is a huge oilers/wings fan. He has very good inside connections to both clubs and has NEVER given me false info or weak rumors. He told me like 5 days before anyone knew anything about hossa signing with us that we were trying to ink him. Last year at the trade deadline, he told me we were going to pick up a D man for our second line about 2 weeks before deadline, and a few days prior to the signing he told me it was stuart.

Having said that, he has told me he's hearing rumors that we're looking to unload one of our Middle paid players (he said prob between 2.5 and 3.5 mil) and possibly picks , looking for some new strength in net. If i thought for ONE SECOND that he didn't have some inside info on this and that he was BSing me, i'd never post this but he's been right on sooo many things related to NHL teams in general over the last 3-4 years that I have to believe him.

He gave me a list of 5 possible goaltenders that holland and Co are quite possibly considering. One of them i GUARANTEE you will laugh at me for even adding to this list but again, I have no reason not to trust my good old Canadien friend so here's the run down:

- Khari Lhetonen

- Toskala

- Nicklas backstrom

Ok, with me still? These next 2 seem a far stretch EVEN TO ME who trusts the guy but they were on his list.

- Dwayne Roloson (which i would believe he knows most about because he lives in edmonton and has direct ties to the team somehow)

and there's one more....ready for it?

<

<<

<<<

<<<<

<<<<<

<<<<<<

<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<

<<<<<<

<<<<<

<<<<

<<<

<<

<

- Martin Brodeur - He's nearly ready to come back from injury and with clemmenson doing as well as he is right now, my friend suggests that NJ would be CRAZY to put marty back in especially given that they could safely unload him for some offensive firepower because clemmenson is doing great and weekes has been a decent backup. He said his source told him that it is likely that since marty is getting old, they may off him to another team who could use him until retirement in exchange for a little more power up front.

Ok so, I KNOW some of you are going to call me nuts (ok prob about 99.9 percent of you), and I don't blame you one bit. I just figured since I trust the guy and he knows his stuff and has connections that i'd at LEAST put it out there for you all to read and at least ponder, or laugh at me if you feel necessary. But please keep the flaming and rude comments to yourselves because i already know this sounds nuts and I am only doing it to see what you all would think about any of those guys coming to play for the wings? Ok so, If you don't believe, or agree about any of this feel free to let me know but please keep it respectful eh? ; P

Ok, so I have a friend who lives in edmonton and is a huge oilers/wings fan. He has very good inside connections to both clubs and has NEVER given me false info or weak rumors. He told me like 5 days before anyone knew anything about hossa signing with us that we were trying to ink him. Last year at the trade deadline, he told me we were going to pick up a D man for our second line about 2 weeks before deadline, and a few days prior to the signing he told me it was stuart.

Having said that, he has told me he's hearing rumors that we're looking to unload one of our Middle paid players (he said prob between 2.5 and 3.5 mil) and possibly picks , looking for some new strength in net. If i thought for ONE SECOND that he didn't have some inside info on this and that he was BSing me, i'd never post this but he's been right on sooo many things related to NHL teams in general over the last 3-4 years that I have to believe him.

He gave me a list of 5 possible goaltenders that holland and Co are quite possibly considering. One of them i GUARANTEE you will laugh at me for even adding to this list but again, I have no reason not to trust my good old Canadien friend so here's the run down:

- Khari Lhetonen

- Toskala

- Nicklas backstrom

Ok, with me still? These next 2 seem a far stretch EVEN TO ME who trusts the guy but they were on his list.

- Dwayne Roloson (which i would believe he knows most about because he lives in edmonton and has direct ties to the team somehow)

and there's one more....ready for it?

<

<<

<<<

<<<<

<<<<<

<<<<<<

<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<

<<<<<<

<<<<<

<<<<

<<<

<<

<

- Martin Brodeur - He's nearly ready to come back from injury and with clemmenson doing as well as he is right now, my friend suggests that NJ would be CRAZY to put marty back in especially given that they could safely unload him for some offensive firepower because clemmenson is doing great and weekes has been a decent backup. He said his source told him that it is likely that since marty is getting old, they may off him to another team who could use him until retirement in exchange for a little more power up front. The only reason I don't see this ever happening is cap space. Other than that, dont think its TOO far fetched.

Ok so, I KNOW some of you are going to call me nuts (ok prob about 99.9 percent of you), and I don't blame you one bit. I just figured since I trust the guy and he knows his stuff and has connections that i'd at LEAST put it out there for you all to read and at least ponder, or laugh at me if you feel necessary. But please keep the flaming and rude comments to yourselves because i already know this sounds nuts and I am only doing it to see what you all would think about any of those guys coming to play for the wings? Ok so, If you don't believe, or agree about any of this feel free to let me know but please keep it respectful eh? ; P

Devils should trade Marty? That's a good one.

I've told you guys all along, you can have Toskala.

lol i wouldn't want the devs to trade marty either if i liked them so i'm in agreeance sort of but toskala.....overpaid and overrated.

lol i wouldn't want the devs to trade marty either if i liked them so i'm in agreeance sort of but toskala.....overpaid and overrated.

They won't. A guy like Marty doesn't lose his job due to injury. That job is his until his play declines to the point where he loses it.

If you want to pay Toskala $4 million next year, go nuts.

Edited by MacK_Attack

They won't. A guy like Marty doesn't lose his job due to injury. That job is his until his play declines to the point where he loses it.

If you want to pay Toskala $4 million next year, go nuts.

at this point, id trade u oz for toskala if he took ozzy's pay lol. There's 2 goalies on that list that I personally think are realistically possible. Backstrom and Lhetonen. What do you think?

at this point, id trade u oz for toskala if he took ozzy's pay lol. There's 2 goalies on that list that I personally think are realistically possible. Backstrom and Lhetonen. What do you think?

I don't think the Wings can afford either one. Definitely can't afford Backstrom.

What is your "friend" smoking? I want that!

Mindfly, take your disrespect somewhere else please! I dunno what any of those goalies are paid but the wings have alot of depth in other positions so I think some kind of trade off is possible to make cap.

I don't think NJ would trade Brodeur, that's like us trading Lidstrom because he's "getting old" and our other D-men are playing good.

Backstrom would be nice though..

Who are the 2.5-3.5 mil players? Filppula, Kronwall, Stuart at 3.75, Cleary (but he has a NTC), anyone else?

This thread is a joke right??

His friend knew about Hossa 5 days ahead of everyone LOL.

I stopped reading this post at that point.

Does your freind your friend wear an alluminum helmet to intercept messages from space?

Not a chance anywhere along that line.

Toskala- streaky at best, more off than on.

Backstrom- excellent goalie, so too expensive

Lehtonen- bit streaky, not worth the 3 million

Roloson- he's not even fit for a fantasy team. In '06 in exchange for Legace, sure. Now? No.

Brodeur. Love to see him in the Winged Wheel, but the amount of hallucinogens I'd need to ingest to make that move possible is incredible. The Devils aren't that nuts, no matter how well Clemmensen is playing. You don't just trade a lock for the Hall because he got injured this year.

The Wings dont necessarily need a top 5 goalie with the system they play. They just need someone to stop the ones theyre supposed to and make the occasional big save. With the cap the way it is and where its likely going they cant afford one anyway,unless they say goodbye to Hossa.

Edited by UP2HERE

A very interesting post!

Though I cannot see the Devils trading Marty, I wonder if bringing in Clemmenson would be a cheap answer for the Wings? He has played very well this year and looks like he has what it takes to be a starter. The boys on Sportsnet have suggested that this could be a deal for the Wings.

It seems like every sports channel out there is saying that we need goaltending help and I tend to agree. Ozzie just dosen't seem to have any confidence this year and I worry that with six weeks to go till April that he will not find his old form. With the way Leino and Helm are playing I think that it leaves room to move a UFA such as Franzen, etc. to get a goalie.

If we give this any thought - the player is either Filppula or Kronwall ($2.5-3.5m).

Brodeur has a no trade clause, so I do not give that any credibility whatsoever.

Lehtonen is making $3m this year and is an RFA at the end of the season - Wings could afford this.

Backstrom is $3.1m and an impending UFA - wings could afford.

Rolosan is a $3.667m cap hit and impnding UFA - affordable.

Toskala is $4m and signed through 2010 -- Too expensive (but still affordable) and very little flexibility. I can't see the wings taking this one on.

A couple key problems:

1) We are stuck with Osgood until 2011, for better or worse... unless he is traded. Because his contract went into affect after the age of 35, even if he retires or is sent down to the minors, his salary is still on the books. Luckily, his $1.4m cap hit is not bad for a backup. But you have to carry 3 goaltenders, send Conklin down (and he would most likely be claimed) or trade Conklin as well.

2) Niklas Kronwall or Filppula, both young and playoff proven, signed long term to good contracts -- traded for a rental? Plus picks or prospects? There is no way and Detroit is completey hosed in that deal.... unless those picks and prospects are coming from the other team. The only player worth that is Brodeur, who is signed until 2012 at $5.2m per year. But in order to afford that, ignoring the tiny probability NJ would want to trade Brodeur, or that Brodeur would waive his NTC, is to trade both Kronwall and Filppula. Though I suppose it might also work, cap-wise, if you trade Filppula and Lilja or Kronwall and Samuelsson (or Hudler) -- but that is not exactly exciting from a Devils point of view.

Edited by egroen

Mindfly, take your disrespect somewhere else please! I dunno what any of those goalies are paid but the wings have alot of depth in other positions so I think some kind of trade off is possible to make cap.

Your "smoke" is even stronger than OP-er.

Two words, Cap space. We're tight as it is. Getting Marty for a mid priced player and a draft pick or two definitely won't help that by much unless Holland can find a way to ransom his family and force him to play with us for the league minimum... Which I really think would be very unlikely lol. Although it's a nice thought and anything can happen. If you would've told me 10 years ago that Hasek was going to join, then I prolly wouldn't believe it either, the problem today is the Salary cap and how much harder it'll make it for us to even have a player that's of Marty's Status. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Brodeur retire as a Devil. I also wouldn't mind him playing a season or two with us as well :P

If we give this any thought - the player is either Filppula or Kronwall ($2.5-3.5m).

Brodeur has a no trade clause, so I do not give that any credibility whatsoever.

Lehtonen is making $3m this year and is an RFA at the end of the season - Wings could afford this.

Backstrom is $3.1m and an impending UFA - wings could afford.

Rolosan is a $3.667m cap hit and impnding UFA - affordable.

Toskala is $4m and signed through 2010 -- Too expensive (but still affordable) and very little flexibility. I can't see the wings taking this one on.

A couple key problems:

1) We are stuck with Osgood until 2011, for better or worse... unless he is traded. Because his contract went into affect after the age of 35, even if he retires or is sent down to the minors, his salary is still on the books. Luckily, his $1.4m cap hit is not bad for a backup. But you have to carry 3 goaltenders, send Conklin down (and he would most likely be claimed) or trade Conklin as well.

2) Niklas Kronwall or Filppula, both young and playoff proven, signed long term to good contracts -- traded for a rental? Plus picks or prospects? There is no way and Detroit is completey hosed in that deal.... unless those picks and prospects are coming from the other team. The only player worth that is Brodeur, who is signed until 2012 at $5.2m per year. But in order to afford that, ignoring the tiny probability NJ would want to trade Brodeur, or that Brodeur would waive his NTC, is to trade both Kronwall and Filppula. Though I suppose it might also work, cap-wise, if you trade Filppula and Lilja or Kronwall and Samuelsson (or Hudler) -- but that is not exactly exciting from a Devils point of view.

I like the logic of this post, few things to add:

1. You could add Brad Stuarts name to the list of Wings potential trade bait.

2. Neither Stuart,Kronwall or Filppula have no trade clauses.

I like the logic of this post, few things to add:

1. You could add Brad Stuarts name to the list of Wings potential trade bait.

2. Neither Stuart,Kronwall or Filppula have no trade clauses.

Stuart's first two years include a NTC and a limited NTC in the last two years (which I would assume limits his teams to West Coast).

If we give this any credibility - it has to be either Filppula or Kronwall.

Stuart's first two years include a NTC and a limited NTC in the last two years (which I would assume limits his teams to West Coast).

If we give this any credibility - it has to be either Filppula or Kronwall.

Interesting ,I couldnt find that Stuart has a NTC. Where did you find it?