• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

XxGoWingsxX

A new netminder?

Rate this topic

The Wings looking to trade a mid-paid player makes perfect sense, but only if they are doing it to dump some salary, or only get a player back who will be an UFA at year's end. They will need to dump some salary if they are serious about singing Hossa.

the Hockey News had an article about all possible deadline moves, and their one idea was that the Wings move Ville Leino to Tampa for goaltender Mike Smith. They also said it would fit with the Wings cap situation.

This makes zero sense for the Wings. Why on earth would they trade for Smith when he comes with a $2.2 million cap hit for the next two years....this would just cause them to have to dump more salary to re-sign the players they want to keep. It might be able to work for this year, but seems to make little sense to me post 2009.

Two words, Cap space. We're tight as it is. Getting Marty for a mid priced player and a draft pick or two definitely won't help that by much unless Holland can find a way to ransom his family and force him to play with us for the league minimum... Which I really think would be very unlikely lol. Although it's a nice thought and anything can happen. If you would've told me 10 years ago that Hasek was going to join, then I prolly wouldn't believe it either, the problem today is the Salary cap and how much harder it'll make it for us to even have a player that's of Marty's Status. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Brodeur retire as a Devil. I also wouldn't mind him playing a season or two with us as well :P

Marty's got another two years left on his deal @ $5.2 million.

Maybe we could ask Michael Shtalenkov to come out of retirement.

Better chance than Marty Brodeur...

Thats actually kind of funny. On xm the other day, they were joking, saying the Habs should bring back Brian Hayward.

Normally I would dismiss this topic all together. For some reason your passion in writing has me slightly hooked, I mean at least it gives me something to think about!

I don't see it being impossible and ofcourse the tastiest is Brody, I would probably give away my ******** for him. I dig Backstrom as well, I think Toskala is a good goaltender and if you put him behind a great defense like he use to have in San Jose he could be good again. Toronto is an awful place to judge someones skill.

Guest MrSandMan

I said this before and I'll say it again. Trade Datsyuk, Hossa and Ericsson + picks for Felix Potvin. The answers to all our problems.

Speaking of problems, I can think of about 28 other teams that wish they had the problems of the Wings.

I said this before and I'll say it again. Trade Datsyuk, Hossa and Ericsson + picks for Felix Potvin. The answers to all our problems.

Speaking of problems, I can think of about 28 other teams that wish they had the problems of the Wings.

If you accept that making the playoffs is a good year for the Red Wings, like it is for the majority of other teams, than you have nothing to worry about.

If you accept that making the playoffs is a good year for the Red Wings, like it is for the majority of other teams, than you have nothing to worry about.

He didn't say he was happy with them limping in as the 8th seed or being the 5th seed and almost getting a home playoff round. He is talking about this team going into the playoffs 2nd in the west and 3rd in the entire league(as it stands).

This is the 3rd best team in hockey, 1 point behind the 2nd best and 4 points behind the best team in the league, so what you are saying is that is not good enough for you???

This team is 37-12-8 they win over 3 times as much as they lose in regulation, the third place team in the west has 71 points (Calgary) 11 points behind the wings, the second place teams in the east have 77 (Washington and New Jersey).

The Wings are in a very good place right now and are without a doubt one of the top 3 teams in the league, by a long shot. Yet this is not enough for you???

As I said it is not like the Wings are going to limp into the playoffs, they have weaknesses, but they are still one of the elite teams in the league while having sub par netminding, I see no reason for the poster you quoted to be unhappy with this years team.

THE BELOW RANT IS NOT AIMED AT ANY ONE IN PARTICULAR, LEAST OF ALL EGROEN! (We may differ on opinions but I would not call you a spoiled fan)

Saying the team has weaknesses and they need better play from certain areas, but you are happy with the team is a lot different than being happy with the team in 8th place. Yes we as Wing's fans have higher expectations, but, mark my words, they will not be the first place team wire to wire and win the cup every year. Thinking that nothing but the cup (In a cap era) is having too high of expectations. Especially when you consider the cap is in place to prevent exactly what the Wings are doing, we should look at this streak of 12+ years with a sense of awe and satisfaction.

Instead some of us look at it as if losing in the WCF just isn't good enough.

I couldn't wear my wings gear with more pride than I do right now, even My Red Sox jerseys, which took 86 years between titles and two in 4 years, are worn with less pride. The Wings are the model franchise for all sports on how to win with consistency and class, and half of the fans are the epitome of how not to be a fan!

If this team bows out in the first round, yes we all should be disappointed, but not based on the history of the franchise or what happened last year, but because this was one of the top 3 teams in the league and bombed out of the first round of the playoffs. If they struggled all year to be in the middle of the pack and made it to the post season only to lose to a higher seed, then I would say oh well at least we made the post season, this team wasn't championship material the entire year any ways.

This team is Championship material and losing in the first round would be a s***ty way to go out (See: Edm V Det).

Guest MrSandMan

Regular season is only on-ice practice to prepare the team for the playoffs. And that's why Babcock is trying to get the team and Ozzy going. So they are ready for the playoffs.

Where we differ, I think, is I don't advocate starting a backup netminder when we have a proven #1 healthy.

Are you one of the posters that wants to trade away the Red Wings system for a random goalie?

He didn't say he was happy with them limping in as the 8th seed or being the 5th seed and almost getting a home playoff round. He is talking about this team going into the playoffs 2nd in the west and 3rd in the entire league(as it stands).

This is the 3rd best team in hockey, 1 point behind the 2nd best and 4 points behind the best team in the league, so what you are saying is that is not good enough for you???

This team is 37-12-8 they win over 3 times as much as they lose in regulation, the third place team in the west has 71 points (Calgary) 11 points behind the wings, the second place teams in the east have 77 (Washington and New Jersey).

The Wings are in a very good place right now and are without a doubt one of the top 3 teams in the league, by a long shot. Yet this is not enough for you???

As I said it is not like the Wings are going to limp into the playoffs, they have weaknesses, but they are still one of the elite teams in the league while having sub par netminding, I see no reason for the poster you quoted to be unhappy with this years team.

THE BELOW RANT IS NOT AIMED AT ANY ONE IN PARTICULAR, LEAST OF ALL EGROEN! (We may differ on opinions but I would not call you a spoiled fan)

Saying the team has weaknesses and they need better play from certain areas, but you are happy with the team is a lot different than being happy with the team in 8th place. Yes we as Wing's fans have higher expectations, but, mark my words, they will not be the first place team wire to wire and win the cup every year. Thinking that nothing but the cup (In a cap era) is having too high of expectations. Especially when you consider the cap is in place to prevent exactly what the Wings are doing, we should look at this streak of 12+ years with a sense of awe and satisfaction.

Instead some of us look at it as if losing in the WCF just isn't good enough.

I couldn't wear my wings gear with more pride than I do right now, even My Red Sox jerseys, which took 86 years between titles and two in 4 years, are worn with less pride. The Wings are the model franchise for all sports on how to win with consistency and class, and half of the fans are the epitome of how not to be a fan!

If this team bows out in the first round, yes we all should be disappointed, but not based on the history of the franchise or what happened last year, but because this was one of the top 3 teams in the league and bombed out of the first round of the playoffs. If they struggled all year to be in the middle of the pack and made it to the post season only to lose to a higher seed, then I would say oh well at least we made the post season, this team wasn't championship material the entire year any ways.

This team is Championship material and losing in the first round would be a s***ty way to go out (See: Edm V Det).

Speaking for myself, the goals against are very alarming for this team. Hasek last year proved that a shaky goalie can potentially eliminate a champinship caliber team all by himself -- I just want to see them prepared to make a deep run and as things are currently, I see a 1st round disappointment way more likely than a Stanley Cup.

If someone like Maltby or Draper is having a bad year, they are not going to have much of an impact on winning or losing a 7 game series. But Osgood could single-handidly lose it -- and he is currenlty mired in the worst season of his entire career. Yes, the defense has not been stellar, but you can not tell me it is any worse than the Islanders and Blues, with whom Osgood posted much better numbers with. Something needs to change, and hopefully it is simply Osgood gets his confidence back -- but Osgood having a bad year is more significant than even Zetterberg having a bad year -- and definitely thread worthy.

Something needs to change, and hopefully it is simply Osgood gets his confidence back -- but Osgood having a bad year is more significant than even Zetterberg having a bad year -- and definitely thread worthy.

But the real question is, how many threads worthy? :ph34r:

Edited by lets go pavel

Normally I would dismiss this topic all together. For some reason your passion in writing has me slightly hooked, I mean at least it gives me something to think about!

I don't see it being impossible and ofcourse the tastiest is Brody, I would probably give away my ******** for him. I dig Backstrom as well, I think Toskala is a good goaltender and if you put him behind a great defense like he use to have in San Jose he could be good again. Toronto is an awful place to judge someones skill.

Well said. Anyone goalie in Toronto would look horrible.

+1

Regular season is only on-ice practice to prepare the team for the playoffs. And that's why Babcock is trying to get the team and Ozzy going. So they are ready for the playoffs.

Where we differ, I think, is I don't advocate starting a backup netminder when we have a proven #1 healthy.

Are you one of the posters that wants to trade away the Red Wings system for a random goalie?

If Osgood does not show an improvement before March 4th, I think you have to strongly consider bringing in another goalie.

Why would they have to trade their entire system to do so?

Last year Huet, as an impending UFA went for a 2nd round pick - that's it.

Here are the impending UFA goaltenders:

Fernandez, Manny ($4,333,333)

Thomas, Tim ($1,100,000)

Germyn, Carsen ($500,000)

Khabibulin, Nikolai ($6,750,000)

Roloson, Dwayne ($3,000,000)

Sabourin, Dany ($525,000)

Anderson, Craig ($575,000)

Ersberg, Erik ($700,000)

Backstrom, Niklas ($3,100,000)

Schaefer, Nolan ($600,000)

Denis, Marc ($600,000)

MacIntyre, Drew ($500,000)

Clemmensen, Scott ($500,000)

Weekes, Kevin ($700,000)

Danis, Yann ($550,000)

MacDonald, Joey ($500,000)

Valiquette, Stephen ($725,000)

Gerber, Martin ($3,700,000)

Biron, Martin ($3,500,000) (has NTC)

Niittymaki, Antero ($1,375,000)

Aubin, Jean-Sebastien ($550,000)

Tellqvist, Mikael ($800,000)

Garon, Mathieu ($1,000,000)

Boucher, Brian ($650,000)

Legace, Manny ($2,500,000)

Kolzig, Olaf ($1,500,000)

Joseph, Curtis ($700,000)

Labarbera, Jason ($850,000)

Sanford, Curtis ($650,000)

Johnson, Brent ($825,000)

If things do not change, you have to start considering other options.

Speaking for myself, the goals against are very alarming for this team. Hasek last year proved that a shaky goalie can potentially eliminate a champinship caliber team all by himself -- I just want to see them prepared to make a deep run and as things are currently, I see a 1st round disappointment way more likely than a Stanley Cup.

If someone like Maltby or Draper is having a bad year, they are not going to have much of an impact on winning or losing a 7 game series. But Osgood could single-handidly lose it -- and he is currenlty mired in the worst season of his entire career. Yes, the defense has not been stellar, but you can not tell me it is any worse than the Islanders and Blues, with whom Osgood posted much better numbers with. Something needs to change, and hopefully it is simply Osgood gets his confidence back -- but Osgood having a bad year is more significant than even Zetterberg having a bad year -- and definitely thread worthy.

Agreed, which is why I added the part about them losing in the first round this year being a disappointment.

If Osgood continues to play this way in the postseason it will be him who is yanked for the back up.

It is, oddly enough, almost a mirror image of last year, goaltending wise. Hasek was always looking to find that proverbial groove, when it looked like the groove was going to forever evade him, Babs did what he had to.

I have no doubts in my mind what so ever that if it looks at all like ConkBlock would be the "Savior" (Lack of better term) that Ozzie was last year that Babs will make the change.

I didn't mean that first post to be so jackass-ish, reading I was a little short with you, or wrote it to fast and wasn't as articulate as I would have liked.

This team is still one of the best in the league, and is struggling, I also realize that solid goaltending would be a huge boost to this team, but I don't think people should be so quick to jump on the "We are screwed and going to lose in the first round without Marty" bandwagon yet.

I find the post very interesting as well

I think it could have potential for this reason, Holland loves to make a deal AND Lou Lamerello is a screwd GM (remember when he fired his coach that had them doing very well all season just before the playoffs).

I could see Lou making a trade with Brodeur while his value is still high it makes good business sense, old for new.

BUT !!!! Ive always seen Brodeur as one of those guys that would never be traded. I think NJ has a chance in the east this year, when they pick up a guy like Shanahan it says to me they are gearing up putting the peices into the puzzle trading away a world class starting goaltender to me is taking a big chunk of the puzzle out.

Last year Huet, as an impending UFA went for a 2nd round pick - that's it.

We should see if we can get Backstrom for a second round pick. Or Craig Anderson for a third. And we can throw in Ozzie to give them a bench warmer.