• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pokemonbreeder18

Jiri Fischer

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, I was at the Grand Rapids Griffins game and I just happened to run into Mr. Jiri Fischer. I didnt get to talk long but he told me he was doing well. I got a picture with him and thought everyone would like to see how he looks. The one thing I noticed was that he has really REALLY thinned out from not playing hockey for some time.

3374741950_706edaffe5_b.jpg

Just for comparison here is how he looked before:

160_fisher_051122.jpg

Edited by pokemonbreeder18

You can tell how buff hockey gets you. He looks like a middle aged dad to me now.

I'm glad he has a steady job in Detroit's system though. That shows how great guys like him get treated here. Guy was my favorite player when he was here, too.

I saw him at camp last September, and unfortunately didn't get to talk to him. But my friend Julie had a wonderful picture of her with him, and she wanted to get it autographed. One of the workers took it to him, and he signed it with the words, "Sometimes life is better than we think it is." It made Julie and I both almost cry. It was perfect. He's still and always a class act. Maybe this fall I'll get the chance to meet him finally.

You're a lucky soul. Cherish that moment.

I saw him at camp last September, and unfortunately didn't get to talk to him. But my friend Julie had a wonderful picture of her with him, and she wanted to get it autographed. One of the workers took it to him, and he signed it with the words, "Sometimes life is better than we think it is." It made Julie and I both almost cry. It was perfect. He's still and always a class act. Maybe this fall I'll get the chance to meet him finally.

You're a lucky soul. Cherish that moment.

one of my top 3 brushes with greatness

i wouldn't go that far.

He was faster than Lebda, had as hard a shot as anyone in the league, was one of the league's best defensive defensemen, good passer, he was a good hitter for his size and could fight well. He also had yet to enter his prime. The guy was gonna win a Norris or two, or more.

He was faster than Lebda, had as hard a shot as anyone in the league, was one of the league's best defensive defensemen, good passer, he was a good hitter for his size and could fight well. He also had yet to enter his prime. The guy was gonna win a Norris or two, or more.

he hadn't been a norris caliber player while he played. whether or not he would have developed into one is pure conjecture. in fact, i remember he was notorious on these boards for occasional defensive lapses. i think he would have been a good d-man, probably top pairing (maybe not with rafalski), but definitely not the best defenseman in the league. i really wish he could have played longer, but i would say calling him a multiple norris winner based what we've seen is a bit of a stretch.

he hadn't been a norris caliber player while he played. whether or not he would have developed into one is pure conjecture. in fact, i remember he was notorious on these boards for occasional defensive lapses. i think he would have been a good d-man, probably top pairing (maybe not with rafalski), but definitely not the best defenseman in the league. i really wish he could have played longer, but i would say calling him a multiple norris winner based what we've seen is a bit of a stretch.

This. Pure conjecture and wishful thinking.

Awesome.

I saw him at camp last September, and unfortunately didn't get to talk to him. But my friend Julie had a wonderful picture of her with him, and she wanted to get it autographed. One of the workers took it to him, and he signed it with the words, "Sometimes life is better than we think it is."

Also awesome.

This thread is full of awesome.

his reputation has gone up considerably since he's been injured... no doubt he had all the physical tools but his mental game wasn't always there, he was often the whipping boy on here when he made bonehead plays like Lilja, so let's not get carried away

his reputation has gone up considerably since he's been injured... no doubt he had all the physical tools but his mental game wasn't always there, he was often the whipping boy on here when he made bonehead plays like Lilja, so let's not get carried away

I don't know about other people, but my opinion of Fisch's ability hasn't changed since his injury.

Rather than debating how many Norris trophies he would or wouldn't have won, and whether not he was a talented hockey player on the rise, or one with questionable abilities...why don't we just be glad (as most of the posters on this thread seemingly are) that Jiri Fischer didn't die on the Red Wings' bench at Joe Louis Arena that night, and that he's still around and able to be a part of hockey in whatever way his heart condition will allow him. Jiri was a hard working hockey player who had his career shortened WAY too early, so nobody can really say what he might have become...the best years of his career were still way in front of him. I'm thrilled that Jiri made it though his nearly tragic ordeal, and even more happy that the Red Wings were a classy enough organization to find a spot for him within the club where he could make a career for himself in the game that he loved, but is no longer able to play.

Jiri had all the tools, and was just starting to put it together his last year -- It does not seem like much of a stretch of the imagination to see him in Norris contention. Apparently he is still the best skater and stickhandler when he is on the ice with the prospects at camp.

he was becoming my fav. player, I really remember how he f***ed up people that year. He was breaking out and would have been everything that we needed. But at least he's alive and still part of the team.

Imagine how sick our team woudl be with Vlad and Fisher.