• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
lecatpuke

How to Avoid Anaheim

Rate this topic

Ok, here's a breakdown of all possible outcomes for the 6th, 7th, and 8th spot in the playoffs. Each team has one game left:

Columbus vs. Minnesota (Saturday 7:00pm)

Anaheim at Phoenix (Saturday, 8:00pm)

St. Louis at Colorado (Sunday, 5:00pm)

Standings right now:
							     GP	   W	   L	   OT	 PTS
6. Columbus Blue Jackets     81     41     30     10     92
7. Anaheim Ducks             81     42     33     6 	   90 
8. St Louis Blues            81     40     31     10     90

Here are all of the possible outcomes and what they mean for us:

Points Earned       We Play
ANA  CBJ  STL        
0    0    0        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
0    0    1        St. Louis
0    0    2        Columbus  (STL wins tie-Breaker for 6th)
0    1    0        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
0    1    1        St. Louis
0    1    2        St. Louis
0    2    0        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
0    2    1        St. Louis
0    2    2        St. Louis
1    0    0        Anaheim
1    0    1        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
1    0    2        Columbus  (STL wins tie-Breaker for 6th)
1    1    0        Anaheim
1    1    1        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
1    1    2        St. Louis
1    2    0        Anaheim
1    2    1        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
1    2    2        St. Louis
2    0    0        Columbus  (ANA wins tie-breaker for 6th)
2    0    1        Columbus  (ANA wins tie-breaker for 6th)
2    0    2        St. Louis (3-way tie, ANA 6th with wins, STL 7th with record vs. CBJ)
2    1    0        Anaheim
2    1    1        Anaheim
2    1    2        Anaheim (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
2    2    0        Anaheim
2    2    1        Anaheim
2    2    2        Anaheim (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)

As you can see, there are 15 outcomes that lead to Anaheim, 8 that lead to St. Louis, and 4 that lead to Columbus.

To sum it all up... in order to avoid Anaheim:

If Anaheim wins, Columbus has to get zero points.

If Anaheim loses (zero points), St. Louis has to get at least one point.

If Anaheim gets one point, St. Louis has to win.

The best possible outcome is for Anaheim to play San Jose, which will only happen if St. Louis gets more points than Anaheim.

So basically, cheer for Minnesota, Phoenix, and St. Louis this weekend!

In a way, I'm hoping they play Anaheim, that way I can buy some tickets and go to game 3 or game 4. But thats just me being selfish. For the sake of the team, it would obviously be better to avoid the travel and the team is rather hot right now.

Any team will be tough. The Wings have a better record against Anaheim than Columbus, but haven't lost to St. Louis at all. With that said, all three teams have been hot lately.

I think the Anaheim series would be a good first round matchup because a lot of the players on this team can remember the first round sweep of '03 not to mention the recent loss in the WCF. The Wings have played well against Anaheim this year.

Anyone wishing for Anaheim is crazy.

The Ducks would be a tougher matchup for the Sharks than the Blues would be. Those 2 teams hate each other, and would most likely play one hell of a physical series against each other.

Think of it this way. Who would you rather see when we're on the PK? Pronger and Niedermayer on the point, or some guys named Woywitka and Oshie on the point? Also, Giguere has proven that he can beat us in a series. What has Chris Mason ever proven in the playoffs?

Usually I'd say i didn't want to play Anaheim because of the rough travel Schedule, but it looks like we can't use that excuse with the Pairings. (Chicago - Western Canadian team; SJ - StL; Columbus - Other Cdn team)

So I'd say Anaheim would be fine, give us games in the first round to really get up for and in the best case scenario, all-central 2nd round.

I am wondering if the San Jose boards has a similar thread going on. I think i would prefer the Sharks play the Ducks in the first round. Leave the travel in the first round for Detroit nice and easy! But nice and easy hasn't worked well this year! They have consistently f***ed up every easy game this year. Look at the losses to the Islanders, Avalanche, Stars, and Predators! This team needs a kick in the ass! If I had a choice we would play a seven game series with San Jose first round! No more dancing, just play hockey for 60 minutes, and nobody can beat ths team.

Also, Giguere has proven that he can beat us in a series. What has Chris Mason ever proven in the playoffs?

Didn't Giguere prove that the first time he played us in the post season? Why should Mason be any different? Hell, the list of goalies who have single handedly eliminated a superior Wings teams isn't one goalie long...

I want the Blues. Travel factor and style of play being the biggest reasons why. Even if the Red Wings were to beat Anaheim, it would be a physically tough series heading into the second round. I think the Red Wings could make very quick work of the Blues if the Red Wings we all know show up to play.

Also, Giguere has proven that he can beat us in a series.

Didn't Giguere prove that the first time he played us in the post season? Why should Mason be any different? Hell, the list of goalies who have single handedly eliminated a superior Wings teams isn't one goalie long...

Jonas Hiller is their guy now anyway....

I wouldn't mind us playing the Ducks for the schedule on away games allowing me to watch another 7pm game first and also to be the ones to knock out the Ducks

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Ducks play SJ for the matchup reasons so... doesn't really matter

I'd rather play the ducks than blues.... anyone else agree? they have been one of the best teams of 2009..

The main problem with who to play that I'm worried about is first round travel. I think it was huge to last years run that they didn't have to jump 2 time zones in the first round.

Otherwise, I'm with you there mysterious stranger, give me Anaheim, then the Blues, and definitely not Columbus. Let someone else deal with a hot tender. Anaheim's only real upper hand is the looming threat of goonery, which hopefully yields plenty of PPs for the leagues best units and no injuries on the Wings side.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Don't understand the fear of Anaheim. Anaheim and St. Louis are both hot right now. Both play dirty. The only difference is travel, but it's only for one round and 2-3 games.

After Round 1 we're unlikely to have to travel outside of the Central, unless we play San Jose.

Me, I don't pick my poison, the Wings, if they paly like we know they can, can beat any team in the league.

Great analysis, but either way we're playing a team we've struggled against at lengths with Columbus, or one of the two hottest teams in the league post all-star break.

Still Anaheim is the worse of the lot, considering travel and goon-like play, but it would be fun to beat them in the 1st round if we get the chance.

I want:

1. San Jose

2. Detroit

3. Vancouver

4. Chicago

5. Calgary

6. Anaheim

7. Columbus

8. St. Louis

This way Anaheim can hopefully take out Vancouver for us, and even though SJ gets an easy first round pass, they are stuck with Anaheim for round 2. No matter who wins that series, the other team faces us in round 3 all beat up.

Guest Shoreline

Giguere isn't their #1 anyways, and regarding opposing goalies, it is because of opposing teams superior defense when the Wings have been eliminated, i.e. their offense sputters. There is no reason for that given how much offensive firepower and scoring prowess has been displayed.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I am actually heading out to California for the majority of next week. From a viewing standpoint, the Ducks/Wings would be televised so at least I could watch it. But that's about the only good thing I see.

Ducks are still bigger, stronger, meaner and the Getzlaf line is still impossible to control. Watch the games. We cannot stop the Getzlaf line with Perry and Ryan. We simply aren't big enough and they are supremely talented to go with that size. Terrible matchup for almost anybody.

Throw in the back and forth travel and a punishing series, forget it. I want to avoid Anaheim in round 1.

I doubt we'll face the BJ's so I'll take an uproven goalie with a bunch of rookies and young kids who aren't playoff tested and the relatively light travel schedule. Give me St.Louis all day long.

Let Anaheim and San Jose pummel the crap out of each other. Besides those 2 bruising teams just wearing on each other, that'd be one hell of a fun series to watch as a hockey fan.

San Jose v Anaheim

Detroit v St.Louis

Not saying i'm really afraid of Anaheim but why would you want to face them? Thus far the only reason I have heard is "to avenge 2007". Give me a fecking break. You gotta look at strengths and weaknesses, matchups, leadership, experience, size, travel, etc...... I am not afraid of the Blues at all.

Giguere isn't their #1 anyways, and regarding opposing goalies, it is because of opposing teams superior defense when the Wings have been eliminated, i.e. their offense sputters. There is no reason for that given how much offensive firepower and scoring prowess has been displayed.

lol, you never give goalies any credit do you, good or bad.

Anyway giguere had michelin man sholder pads back when the ducks swept us, no way im afraid of them now

Duck - Wings games are always good hockey.. And if you put them in a playoff seires VS. each other = excellent hockey... So I am rooting for a ducks-wings 1st round so I can see some great playoff hockey that I can go to at least 1 game of.. any one of the teams can take the series.