Sign in to follow this  
lecatpuke

How to Avoid Anaheim

Rate this topic

OT For Anaheim...

Points Earned       We Play
ANA  CBJ  STL        
1    0    0        Anaheim
1    0    1        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
1    0    2        Columbus  (STL wins tie-Breaker for 6th)
2    0    0        Columbus  (ANA wins tie-breaker for 6th)
2    0    1        Columbus  (ANA wins tie-breaker for 6th)
2    0    2        St. Louis (3-way tie, ANA 6th with wins, STL 7th with record vs. CBJ)

I dont want to avoid Anaheim. I think they are the perfect team to start with for the Wings, despite the travel. Lets get the juices flowing right from the get go. After all, if the team is right and contesting every play nobody is going to beat them.

The teams that scare me in the first round are Columbus and St. Louis. Those are the teams the top seeds take lightly, and before they can get their game going, the top seeds gone. Thats the Wings modus operandi, anyway, when weve started with a lightly regarded opponent.

Anaheim loses :(

Looks like it's all down to St. Louis tomorrow...

Points Earned       We Play
ANA  CBJ  STL        
1    0    0        Anaheim
1    0    1        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
1    0    2        Columbus  (STL wins tie-Breaker for 6th)

Have you actually watched the Wings in the last month? I've caught most of their games recently and they are flat-out awful.

The Blues are a much better team than you think. And they didn't "limp" into the playoffs.. That would imply they were not doing well when they got there. The Blues were the best NHL team in 2009 to make the playoffs. They've had an amazing run and while they're the underdogs against both the Wings and the Sharks they wouldn't be an "easy first round pass" for either team.

Also the Blues are playing more than "a little better" than the Red Wings. The Red Wings give up leads like candy. The Blues play a hardnose blue-collar style every game.

I personally think your team could give both the Sharks and Wings some trouble. I loved the line about "hardnose blue-collar style". In most hockey circles a lot of your team's style is called dirty play. And if the refs call the games the way they should (I know, fat chance...), players like hotshot-after-the-whistle-Jackman should end up having major surgery for all the splinters in his butt. And because your team often takes stupid penalties, we would have a good chance of beating you if our power play stays on target.

I think Anaheim is the LAST team San Jose wants to see in the first round. A physical bordering on violent team, one who knows them all too well and one with big nasty forwards and a solid battle tested defense. Beauchemin is just getting back into the lineup which makes the Ducks a tougher draw yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing Getzlaf, Ryan, Brown and Perry work over the softer Sharks defense corps for 6 or 7 games.

As for the Wings, I think the Blues would be a fine first round matchup. The loud fans in St. Louis would keep concentration at a high level, and they have had somewhat recent success against them over the last decade in the playoffs. Guys like Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, Datsyuk and Homer have all knocked the Blues out at some point. The travel would be less and the Blues aren't what I'd consider an overtly physical menace.

no disrespect for the Blues... but I'd prefer to see them in the First Round. The Ducks are an experienced, gritty team who have won it all not so long ago.

Alas, our Wings made their own bed... from the poor play down this last stretch. Its really all up to the Blues now.

Wings will face either Anaheim or Columbus

source

Good call, RWL87... its gonna be a hoot of a first round. Both Mason and Giggy can steal a couple games. I certainly hope our team is prepped for the challenge!

Hopefully St. Louis wins tomorrow. That way we get Columbus and the Sharks get to deal with the Ducks, who will destroy eachother in that first round. Columbus is inexperienced in the playoffs and the Wings will turn it on and over power them. Not to mention the travel is in driving distance. Look for Hossa to have an un-real post season.

LETS GO AVS!!!! I think AVS can pull out a win in front of their crowd at their last game..

Iam just excited that ducks wont be playing canucks in 1st round..

Edited by Duck Guy

In the event that we go end up drawing the Ducks in the first round, think of it this way...

"You don't get it. We're not being forced to travel all the way to Anaheim. Anaheim is being forced to travel all the way to US!"

Edited by Cern

LETS GO AVS!!!! I think AVS can pull out a win in front of their crowd at their last game..

Iam just excited that ducks wont be playing canucks in 1st round..

Naw while a Ducks-Wings series would be great entertainment, I want to see you guys kick the Sharks in the *&%* and we can play in round 2 :rolleyes: (in my dream world).

Naw while a Ducks-Wings series would be great entertainment, I want to see you guys kick the Sharks in the *&%* and we can play in round 2 :rolleyes: (in my dream world).

Ya, that would be nice to see also with hardly any travel at all. But to go from a SJS series to a wings series would hurt. I have more confidence in the ducks if they face the wings. I would love to see the ducks avoid the sharks no disrespect to the wingz of course. SJS is a scary team even with their playoff history.

Edited by Duck Guy

In the event that we go end up drawing the Ducks in the first round, think of it this way...

"You don't get it. We're not being forced to travel all the way to Anaheim. Anaheim is being forced to travel all the way to US!"

great reference..

amazing book and film adaptation as well.

The Wings own the Blues and have done so for a long time. They are our *****.

Really?

Two seasons ago, the Blues split the season series with the Wings.

Last year, the Blues won the season series.

This year, St. Louis has only beaten Detroit once.

Pay attention.

The Wings owned the Blues for years...but it's been a little different the last few years.

If the Blues win on Sunday, they finish 6th, Columbus will finish 7th and Anaheim will finish 8th.

If the Blues lose on Sunday, they will finish 8th, Anaheim will finish 7th and Columbus will finish 6th.

So, the Blues can't face Detroit in the first round anyway.

I dont give a s*** who we play, lets just get on with the real hockey already. If we play to the potential that we are capable of no one will beat us. Anaheim to me is a one line team. If we shut down Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan they are in trouble and if they decide to run all over the ice and try to goon it up we will play disciplined hockey like we always do against those type of teams...they will fill the sin bin and our PP will make them pay. As for CBJ....two words Rick effin Nash...shut this guy down and the series will be over. Mason will give us trouble at points of the series but we will break him. On the other hand if we play our nemesis style game with bad d and s***ty goaltending then we better get ready for some fire wagon hockey because we will have to score 4-5 goals a game.

Funny how it's all down to how St. Louis and Colorado perform today, isn't it?

For whatever it's worth, I'm pulling for Colorado, and hoping St. Louis chokes in a season finale spoiler. I really would prefer my Sharkies not to face the Duckies in the first round, for some of the reasons stated in this thread. We do hate each other. We will beat the s*** out of each other, and it would be a goonish, grueling series for two teams with a lot of physical size.

On the other hand, it would also be, as was stated, some amazing hockey, so there's a thrills part of me that secretly wishes for our post season to begin with a huge bang. Bring on those Ducks, let's get that settled right away, first off, and get those playoff juices flowing hard and fast in the first round. It will bring out the animal in both of us.

One downside to facing a much weaker team in the first round is the psychological wading-through-sludge factor if the weaker opponent proves tenacious, or performs well. If that happens with a stronger team, one with a much better regular season record, then it's going to be expected. It won't have the same psychological impact.

The odds aren't that good for the Avs today, but they aren't that bad either. For that matter, the odds weren't good that the Coyotes would end their season whipping either of our teams -- and yet they did.

The Blues enter Sunday's finale with an 8-1-1 overall record and a 4-1-1 mark on the road since March 20. They have alternated wins and losses in their last four road games against the Avalanche, including a 3-1 defeat Nov. 26.

The Blues will likely give Chris Mason his 33rd consecutive start Sunday. He stopped 23 shots in the teams' last meeting, a 4-1 home victory for St. Louis on Feb. 7.

Mason is 5-3-0 with a 1.76 GAA in eight lifetime starts against Colorado.

Clearly the Avs would fail miserably against the Blues (or most other teams) in a series, but in single games the Avs have proved that they can beat the Blues at least half of the time on their own ice, so this is not a cut and dry victory for St. Louis (not like those cut and dry victories we were looking at against the lowly Kings and Coyotes).

In addition, the Avs (and Mason) want desperately to end their very depressing regular season in their own house on a high note. That's what gives me hope that the "end of season spoilers" trend continues today, with the Avs snuffing the Blues before going off to play some Rocky Mountain golf.

If that doesn't happen, BRING IT, DUCKS. To borrow a line from Face Off, "Let's kill each other."

Edited by Grypho

One last thing (or, on second thought, as it were):

It's funny to me, as I view other message boards, the FEAR that the Ducks put into so many fans of ours and other teams. Part of that fear (or concern, if you will) is well founded, I think, in that Anaheim IS so goonish, and everyone knows it. Not just "physical". Gooo-oooh-ooonish. And why wouldn't they be? They have ex-Blues Pronger furthering the craft, so go figure.

The other part of the fear, the part that I don't think is founded at all, is the psychological impact of the Ducks having recently won the Cup. I honestly think that if it wasn't for that factor, Anaheim would be looked at no better or worse than any other formidable opponent.

The Sharks and Wings get talked about with all due respect, but fear? No, not like the fear Anaheim instills. That's all a crackup to me. And yet, when you look closely, you can see that Anaheim is indeed very tired. Not only are they losing a lot of games lately to unlikely opponents in the home stretch (no differently than the Sharks and the Wings), but they barely squeaked into a playoff spot, and have made it so that other teams control their position, which could be last -- with all the disadvantages that go with that.

The Blues, on the other hand, are on a friggin' terror right now, but are they feared? They're all after-burners at the moment, mowing down competition, kicking ass, taking names and stringing victories together, one right after the other. Talk about STRONG momentum going into the playoffs, and yet...who fears the Blues in knee-jerk fashion? Not most of the Nucks fans I've seen, who express fear of Anaheim on their message boards. They don't just express fear. It's terror. Doom and gloom all the way, with "we are so out in the first round if we face the ducks =( " (direct quote)

Certainly most Sharks fans I've talked to don't fear St. Louis, but the mere sight of a Ducks logo is like putting the face of Rottweiler in front of a skiddish tomcat. It's too funny. Hackles rise, anger mounts, and fantasies of ripping Pronger to pieces dance wildly through their minds -- while St. Louis, with its turnabout record going into the playoffs, is largely ignored, almost treated as if were a passing anomaly.

So I have changed my mind. I don't want the Sharks to face St. Louis. I want them to face the tired, OVERBLOATED, OVERRATED and Goonish Ducks. That's an illusion bubble that needs some serious bursting, and I think the Sharks are just the ones to burst it.