• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Red Wings to use multiple defenders against Anaheim's top line

Rate this topic

Red Wings to use multiple defenders against Ryan Getzlaf, rest of Anaheim's top line

medium_getzlaf01.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...tiple_defe.html

DETROIT -- Although Pavel Datsyuk is the reigning Selke Trophy winner as the NHL's top defensive forward, Henrik Zetterberg usually draws the most difficult shutdown assignment for the Detroit Red Wings.

But against Anaheim's top line of Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan, the Red Wings will take more of a defense-by-committee approach. Zetterberg and Datsyuk's line will share the burden.

"(The Ducks' top line) played lots of minutes -- (Getzlaf) was up around 26 minutes sometimes -- so, we can't play one line against them, that's too much," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "We'll play Pav or Z against them, doesn't matter as much."

The 6-foot-4, 221-pound Getzlaf is one of the premier power forwards in the game. He had nine points -- two goals, seven assists -- in four games against Detroit this season, including a five-assist effort in a 5-4 overtime victory Oct. 29.

With his size and strength, Johan Franzen (6-3, 220), the left wing on Zetterberg's line, likely will be pitted against Getzlaf.

"You got to stay close to him, bump into him as much as possible, don't give him any time," Franzen said.

Perry is good around the net, and Ryan, the second pick behind Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby in the 2005 NHL entry draft, led all rookies with 31 goals and 57 points. The trio cycles the puck well and combined for nine of their team's 18 goals against San Jose in the first round.

"We're going to have to make it miserable for them," Red Wings forward Marian Hossa said.

The best way to do that is win puck battles, move the puck out of the zone quickly and make that line play defense.

Regardless of which forward line the Red Wings have on the ice against Getzlaf's line, they will try to match up their top defense pairing of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski.

"They're big and strong and good at hanging onto the puck," Lidstrom said. "They know how to get the puck to the net, and they got the point men that can get the puck to the net for them.

Hmm... If they're going to use multiple lines on Getzlaf, then it might be a good idea to go back to the lines that were successful defensively during the early winter:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-Hossa

Cleary, Zetterberg and Franzen are guys who I'd love to see against Getzlaf and so I wonder if all of them on one line might not be the best approach if that big line for ANA is going to play 26 minutes.

I admit - Zetterberg and Hossa had some pretty average chemistry on the offensive end during the regular season, but for some reason it worked out well defensively.

Edited by titanium2

"We're gonna have to make it miserable for them."

I love that Babs can pretty much tell Dats and Z "Your responsible for keeping them off the boards tonight. Make sure you're the first man back into the zone, and make sure there are no odd man rushes. Oh, and score a few points too, when you get the free time."

Hmm... If they're going to use multiple lines on Getzlaf, then it might be a good idea to go back to the lines that were successful defensively during the early winter:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-Hossa

Cleary, Zetterberg and Franzen are guys who I'd love to see against Getzlaf and so I wonder if all of them on one line might not be the best approach if that big line for ANA is going to play 26 minutes.

I admit - Zetterberg and Hossa had some pretty average chemistry on the offensive end during the regular season, but for some reason it worked out well defensively.

It's ironic that this matchup has come to be, but this is exactly why I thought Franzen was more valuable to us, than Huds. (back when most on here were saying keep huds over the mule). The irony is that this exact person (Getzlaf) was the person that was in my head when I was trying to make the argument for keeping Franzen over Huds. Not that Getzlaf is the only big PF in the league, but I just had memories of 2007 when I kept hearing their bench/coaches/players talking about how the wings couldn't handle Getzlafs line. Well hopefully the Mule and others are up to the task this time. I do think that we are in much better shape this time around.

"We're gonna have to make it miserable for them."

I love that Babs can pretty much tell Dats and Z "Your responsible for keeping them off the boards tonight. Make sure you're the first man back into the zone, and make sure there are no odd man rushes. Oh, and score a few points too, when you get the free time."

Thats good stuff, dude. I like your style. :thumbup:

"(The Ducks' top line) played lots of minutes -- (Getzlaf) was up around 26 minutes sometimes -- so, we can't play one line against them, that's too much," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "We'll play Pav or Z against them, doesn't matter as much."

:lol: I love it!

:lol: I love it!

i know, i love that babs is basically like, "merh, we've got it covered. fuhgeddaboudit."

since i've never played hockey, and am not in shape, i obviously don't really understand the way that the physical toll of a playoff series exacts itself on your body...but i imagine that with playing 25 minutes a night in six games against the sharks, if this series goes to seven and getz's line is still playing 25 minutes a night while dats, z and hoss are all playing around, what, 17-18? i can't imagine that slav will have as much in his tank as our boys at the end. but what do i know?

i know, i love that babs is basically like, "merh, we've got it covered. fuhgeddaboudit."

since i've never played hockey, and am not in shape, i obviously don't really understand the way that the physical toll of a playoff series exacts itself on your body...but i imagine that with playing 25 minutes a night in six games against the sharks, if this series goes to seven and getz's line is still playing 25 minutes a night while dats, z and hoss are all playing around, what, 17-18? i can't imagine that slav will have as much in his tank as our boys at the end. but what do i know?

If you float around like Getzlaf does.. 25 minutes is nothing :P

but in all seriousness.. Your 100% right.. IF IF IF IF, the ducks go anywhere in the playoffs.. I'd almost expect a malkin like cup performance outta Getz.. and by that i mean.. he'd be invisible.

I play hockey, and I've played on some shorthanded teams as well, and I can tell you it takes a significant toll on you, playing even a couple extra minutes a night. Seven extra minutes a game is huge. Getzlaf will useless by the end of the series if he keeps playing those kind of minutes, no matter what kind of shape he's in. Especially when he's playing against a combination of Pav, Z, and Mule and whomever else. Those guys will wear him out.