• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ilmickeyli

Mike Brown's hit on Hudler

Rate this topic

Little Hudler didnt know he was bleeding until he put his hand in the pool of blood. Then his reaction was "WTF"

I think the hit was clean, just looked like a direct headshot because of how small Hudler is.

This is what a clean hit looks like:

picture1mby.png

Try showing the other side, where you can see his stick.

1241223855.jpg

1241223749.jpg

I think the worst part about the hit is that Brown's hands made contact with Hudler's face, and in fairness Hudler's head was up; no one expects a hit coming from their own zone. Huds was looking to get back into the play as he had clearly no possession of the puck. If Brown had kept his hands down I say it's a completely clean hit. He could have done a true shoulder-to-shoulder check but he didn't: he led with his hands.

I think it's a fair interference call because Hudler was in the opposite end of the neutral zone from the puck and was impeded from entering play, and it's fair to call it a head shot due to the hands being high. Again without the high-hands it's a clean hit and as it stands I don't believe it's worthy of suspension. However the precedent has been set so one may be forthcoming.

Notice no one on these boards was bitching about Dion's hit on Huds? Why? Because it was perfectly legal and a good shoulder check. This was just was just nasty, and I'm under the complete belief that either the butt end of his stick split Jiri's head open or his elbow. Shady either way.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

I actually thought the hit was clean. It was no worse than Dion Phanuef's last season.

To be honest, if anyone is going to try and shoulder check tiny Hudler you're going to hit him in the head. Thats just his problem. I thought the refs way overreacted with the penalties, and no doubt the NHL will as well.

Notice no one on these boards was bitching about Dion's hit on Huds? Why? Because it was perfectly legal and a good shoulder check. This was just was just nasty, and I'm under the complete belief that either the butt end of his stick split Jiri's head open or his elbow. Shady either way.

Reading this thread and a couple of others has given me man luv for manluv4clears

I actually thought the hit was clean. It was no worse than Dion Phanuef's last season.

To be honest, if anyone is going to try and shoulder check tiny Hudler you're going to hit him in the head. Thats just his problem. I thought the refs way overreacted with the penalties, and no doubt the NHL will as well.

Your last comment is interesting. So, since Pronger is a foot taller than anyone else on the Red Wings, if he goes and hits people in the head, then that's ok? come on...

I think the worst part about the hit is that Brown's hands made contact with Hudler's face, and in fairness Hudler's head was up; no one expects a hit coming from their own zone. Huds was looking to get back into the play as he had clearly no possession of the puck. If Brown had kept his hands down I say it's a completely clean hit. He could have done a true shoulder-to-shoulder check but he didn't: he led with his hands.

I think it's a fair interference call because Hudler was in the opposite end of the neutral zone from the puck and was impeded from entering play, and it's fair to call it a head shot due to the hands being high. Again without the high-hands it's a clean hit and as it stands I don't believe it's worthy of suspension. However the precedent has been set so one may be forthcoming.

Exactly. Hudler had absolutely no reason to look back into the Red Wings' zone. The play was on the opposite end of the ice.

Ok everyone, let's take the emotion out of this for a second and think logically. It's easy to be a homer (for either team) and just defend your player's action because they're your player. Instead, let's examine this with simple reasoning, Court room style, shall we?

simple, objective analysis of the video shows the following:

1) a period of three seconds after hudler had passed the puck before getting hit

2) contact of either Brown's elbow, or stick, to Hudler's head. It is unclear which it was

3) a fair amount of blood coming from Hudler's face

Items 1-3 cannot be denied, due to an exorbitant amount of video evidence.

According to the NHL official rules, whether the contact was made by Brown's elbow or stick, both can result in major penalties and/or suspensions. Please see the following links, giving special attention to rules 46.1, 58.1 and 59.1:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26335

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26350

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26351

Thus, the case can be logically made that Brown's hit on Hudler can in fact be deemed worthy of further investigation and discipline.

The prosecution rests its case.

was Hudler skating with his head down? yes. dumb. He was asking to get hit. and I'm not sitting here saying that Brown is a thug, or that he intended to injure, or anything like that. Players can sometimes get caught up in the heat of the moment and simply and innocently react. But can you really say that it was a clean hit? c'mon

Your last comment is interesting. So, since Pronger is a foot taller than anyone else on the Red Wings, if he goes and hits people in the head, then that's ok? come on...

Dont be silly.

Brown had obviously decided he was going to hit Hudler and was locked onto him...he shouldnt have to avoid hitting Hudler because of the increased likelihood of it being a headshot...whats he supposed to do? Crouch down whenever he wants to hit him?

If this wasnt the playoffs and the NHL wasn't on its period, the penalty Brown recieved/will recieve would be much more leniant.

Guest Four
Dont be silly.

Brown had obviously decided he was going to hit Hudler and was locked onto him...he shouldnt have to avoid hitting Hudler because of the increased likelihood of it being a headshot...whats he supposed to do? Crouch down whenever he wants to hit him?

If this wasnt the playoffs and the NHL wasn't on its period, the penalty Brown recieved/will recieve would be much more leniant.

He could have used his shoulder instead of his stick and paws for one

Guest bobbyryan

Hudler needs to share some of the blame here, or most of it.

1) Hockey 101 - Don't admire your pass.

2) Hockey 101.1 - Don't embellish a hit. Take your lumps like a man. Don't prat fall, roll around, and bleed out.

3) Hockey 101.2 - Jiri is all of 5'6". If you are an itty-bitty, don't expect a free pass from hard hits.

2) Hockey 101.1 - Don't embellish a hit. Take your lumps like a man. Don't prat fall, roll around, and bleed out.

3) Hockey 101.2 - Jiri is all of 5'6". If you are an itty-bitty, don't expect a free pass from hard hits.

1) Hockey 101 - Be sure that you've cleared the zone and haven't commited a giveaway before heading off for a line change.

2) Fandom 101 - Realize that Jiri got up and skated off only to come back in the very next period, like a man.

3) Fandom 101.1 - Realize that a head shot is a head shot and that players, wether you have a man-crush on them or not, are responsible for their actions. Kinda like accidental high sticks.

I also find it amusing that you actually have the balls to question Jiri's manhood after Pronger fell like a bag of bones after a little shove from Holmstrom. How embarrassing. Seriously.

Edited by Broken 16

I was at the game last night and missed the hit. I was calling for browns head last night . But they never really showed a replay of the hit for the crowd to see. I didn't get to see the replay until this morning. Hudler should of kept his head up, there is no doubt about it. It was not as bad as I first thought last night at the game. I doubt there will be a suspension for this. The only thing I can think of that would warrant a suspension is that fact that both hands were high on the stick and he extended them out. He already got a 5 min and a game misconduct, which will more than likely be automaticly reviewed by the league. If the league wants to send a message about head shots then he might get a game, but I can't really see anything more than that. I also wouldn't be shocked if there were no suspension. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

This whole thread sounds like a lynch mob!

:clap: . T. Lowe needs to respond to this. Of course he won't.

Mom, out of all the people that don't think its a dirty hit, why do you single me out and make a personal attack on me? Why do you and MS Hockey single me out? All of what Norrisnick said was already covered in my previous posts and it should be obvious that I don't agree with any of it. There's no sense in me posting all over again just because someone comes along behind me and says something different. But thats fine, he can see it the way he's sees it and I don't think that makes him any less than me.

The only sentence in his post that I haven't already addressed is the "needs to see where the puck goes" statement, and I'll do that right now.

1. He already has a damn good idea of where the puck is going; he's the one who passed it.

2. Its NHL playoff hockey, which means he knows at any given moment someone is trying to rip his head off, legal or illegal, so his first priority is indeed survival. Pass, swivel the old mellon and take a quick on ice inventory, then check the status of the puck.

Thats what makes playoff hockey so incredibley intense, so NOT like any other sport in the world: The combination of skill, speed, and violence. Trying to make plays with people flying at you trying to take your head off. Basketball is a contact sport; hockey is a collision sport.

I also disagree with the guy using all caps to tell everyone that being cut by the visor is physically impossible. I've seen it more than a few times in my own games, and on tv. But I'm not gonna get mad and call the guy an idiot for thinking that.

Picture of blood on Browns elbow. As the other guys picture shows, Brown hits him with his shoulder/chest area and of his elbow is tucked low into his own body. The 2 signficant points there are

1. Shows Brown was not head hunting, which I thought was easy to see originally.

2. Sure he hit Juris head at the point of blood on the jersey, but I really don't see a way around that given the awkward position Hudler put himself in. He hits Hudlers head with his elbow tucked into his adomen under his chest/shoulder area, then follows thru by extending his arms. Then he may have caught Hudler with the stick, or the visor may have cut him, ehatever, I don't think its that big of a deal at that point. The salient point here is, Browns elbow was NOT extended at the point of contact. Therefore, he was NOT headhunting.

If I came off the ice after doing exactly what hudler did and got hit like he did, my coach, my dad, my teamates, and my wife would all look at me and say,"What the f*** ya doing, trying to get killed?"

Look, I realize that people see things differently. The smartest people in the world can't agree on things, world leaders can't agree on things, experienced high paid announcers in the same booth watching the same thing can't agree, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Thats fine.

Edited by T.Low

It just gets dumber and dumber with you. So, when Lauren flopped after Holmstrom skated near him, he's obviously not following your "rules."

If a hit is dirty and to your head, you will fall and bleed. Was Kris Draper supposed to hop up after his face was demolished? Oh yeah....you probably don't get that reference because hockey started in 2007, right?

The bigger problem than the NHL expanding into markets like ANA is not that fans are not interested, it's that they are retarded. In order to get an expansion franchise, you should have to provide a list of season ticket holders that could pass a general rules test.

Massive Fail-- Just like your namesake, you missed an open net.

1) a period of three seconds after hudler had passed the puck before getting hit

2) contact of either Brown's elbow, or stick, to Hudler's head. It is unclear which it was

It's very difficult to tell whether Brown's hands make the initial contact or whether it was part of the follow through. And I think a three second interval is being very generous to Hudler and the refs. It seems like little more than one second to me. The puck was however near the Ducks' line and Huds was near the Wings' line, so there was plenty of separation from the puck.

was Hudler skating with his head down? yes. dumb. He was asking to get hit. and I'm not sitting here saying that Brown is a thug, or that he intended to injure, or anything like that. Players can sometimes get caught up in the heat of the moment and simply and innocently react. But can you really say that it was a clean hit? c'mon

I don't think Huds was dumb for missing the hit, I mean he did see him at the last minute. Brown came from the wrong end of the ice because Hudler was already looking to get back in the play, and because of that I think it was a fair interference penalty.

he wasnt admiring his pass, i dont know why people try to keep bringing that argument up

I agree he needs to play more like the Ducks, you see how fast Pronger sprung up from that vicious nudge Homer gave him?

Actually, that's one of the defenses he and the Ducks made in '07 when he elbowed Holmstrom and got suspended for a game.

Stuff

I understand the point you are making and I agree with most of it, but you are going a little far if you expect us to believe that you understand EXACTLY what was going on when the incident occurred. We're talking about micro-seconds here and your talking about making a pass, swivel your head and take an ice inventory. Get real.

It doesn't matter if it happened late, early, yesterday or today. The league has made it known that blows to the head will not be tolerated. Period. End of discussion. Just like guys sticks flying into someones face isn't tolerated. Brown f***ed up and paid the price. Moral of the story... make damn sure you don't hit someone in the head or there is a good chance you and your team will pay.

Actually, that's one of the defenses he and the Ducks made in '07 when he elbowed Holmstrom and got suspended for a game.

Yes I know, that's kind of what I was eluding to. It's a ridiculous statement to make, and uk-redwing made the same statement, that's why I had to address it.

There is no double-minor for interference (unless you interfere twice). It's nothing, 2, or 5. I do believe the game is discretionary.

agreed, but I don't think that should've been an interference decision, but rather a roughing call... double-minors given out for roughing? I must admit my knowledge is a bit shady on this one.