• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Downey Elbows Opposing Goalie In AHL Playoffs

Rate this topic

I saw the boxscore:)

I was happy.

I'm not anymore though, now that I've learned that this hit was just like Bertuzi-Moore. I'll have to watch it when I get home.

Why were you happy with the boxscore? The Griffs lost again 2-1.

Edited by Frozen-Man

Guest micah
Why were you happy with the boxscore? The Griffs lost again 2-1.

I wasn't happy that the Griffs lost, silly (though to be honest I don't care much if they win or not - I like some Griffs players, most notably Ablekader, but I wouldn't call myself a Griffins fan), I was happy to see Downey and Ablekader gooning it up, it's also always nice to see McCarty scoring. Sounds like a fun game.

Guest micah
Smithers originally posted the video on the first page but here it is again the hit is about 2:20 into the video.

http://www.moosehockey.com/moosetv.php?video=374

That's it? Aww, man, I was looking forward to some real old-fashioned goonery, like the time Probert nailed that goalie (I can't for the life of me recall who it was) with the elbow - that was a thing of beauty!. This should have been 2 minutes.

...if only that was hiller or pronger dressed up in goalie pads

seems to me to be just like the dude did to Hudler just without all the blood spilled :shrugs:

Finally a voice of reason.

And Downey hasnt been suspended. Guess the league didnt think to much of it either. Stop overreacting everyone and move on.

Guest micah
Finally a voice of reason.

And Downey hasnt been suspended. Guess the league didnt think to much of it either. Stop overreacting everyone and move on.

LOL - I was expecting something huge when I saw this thread. That hit wasn't decerving of 5 minutes, much less a suspension.

Guest E_S_A_D
Wow, if this was a non-wing who did this everyone would be up in arms and calling for his head. Downey does not deserve to be on the team if this report is actually true, completely uncalled for and not something tolerated in the Wings' system.

:siren::thumbup: If you're going to retire at season's end, go out with a bang, eh Downey?

That's a playoff series right there!

Guest Four

Oh please, I was expecting him to be going full speed swooping right through the crease jabbing his elbow out

Edited by Four

QFT - but one step farther because Downey may have taken 1 penalty/2.94 games but he only played 4 minutes and 35 seconds per game where as Lidstrom played 26 minutes and 43 seconds per game. So one of Downey's games is not even very comparable to one of Lids. I did the math to try and figure out what the TOI per penalty was:

Downey was 6th on the team in terms of minor penalties last year (with 23) but he was dead last, 29th, in time on ice per game (4.35 minutes per game and 256:56 for the entire season). Lidstrom on the other hand was 9th on the team in minor penalties (with 20) but he was first in time on ice per game (26:43 per game and 2030:44 for the entire season - and this is against the best the other team has to offer). That means that Downey took a minor penalty every 11:10 seconds that he was on the ice while Lids took a minor penalty every 101:30 that he was on the ice. Essentially, Downey took about 10 times more penalties per minute that he was on the ice.

Exactly. A player that plays so few minutes cannot be taking that amount of penalties. It clearly hurts the team and makes you not an asset but a liability.

Because Lilja's 3 fighting majors are going to make such a huge diffrence to that figure. Like I said, 38PIM is going to the absolute most which Downey attained and I have no doubt it will be far less. My numbers were more accurate and throught out than mikes "durrrr all Downeys penatlies minutes = pk....durrrr whats a fighting major?"

And as for people saying goons who do that have no place on this team...Todd Bertuzzi anyone? Hypocrites.

I never said that all of Downey's PIMs resulted in a PK. All I said was that he is prone to putting the Wings on the PK, which he is for the amount of ice time he gets. As for Bertuzzi, he was an absolute disaster for the Wings and didn't work out so that is a terrible example and just hurts your argument.

I'd like to see you respond to comments like the one above and others like it that have called you out on your incorrect numbers. I will say that my numbers were wrong as that did not subtract out off setting penalties and I will be the first to say that. I will not start calling people idiots and then start listing incorrect information to go along with it. That's being an idiot. Come and respond to all these comments that prove your numbers wrong as well or continue to avoid doing so as you have. Until then, you have no right to call anyone an idiot and make yourself look like the idiot.

Edited by Mike

Sorry did I hear someone write "Suspension likely" in their obviously anti-Downey thread when in fact he hasnt been suspended and will play tonight?

The elbow was really nothing. It wasnt even as bad as Browns hit on Hudler. Did you actually see the footage before you went on your anti-Downey rampage? Thought not.

Sorry did I hear someone write "Suspension likely" in their obviously anti-Downey thread when in fact he hasnt been suspended and will play tonight?

The elbow was really nothing. It wasnt even as bad as Browns hit on Hudler. Did you actually see the footage before you went on your anti-Downey rampage? Thought not.

I don't know how it's anti-Downey to start a thread that reports on how he elbowed a goalie in the head. As for the suspension likely, see this quote from MLive:

Worse, Aaron Downey may very well be suspended

I was just passing along what MLive reported. Also, how do you hear someone writing in a thread?

You can say that the hit was nothing, as some people agree with or you can say that the hit was cheap and dirty, as some people have said. I DID see the footage and I believe that it was dirty and uncalled for, but that makes no difference. We are obviously not going to agree on whether the hit was "really nothing" or dirty.

Who cares if the thread is anti-Downey or not. Just because you like him doesn't mean everyone else does. You don't have to agree with everyone's opinions, but to belittle them because you don't agree with them is idiotic. Take off your homer Downey glasses.

Gruesome photo of the aftermath of the Downey-Schnieder elbow:

And you won't see one because the goalie is well protected with a FULL mask, but that doesn't mean that you can elbow a goalie in the head. Next excuse.

Edited by Mike

That angle in the Moose video wasnt very good, looked like he hit him, but it was strange, the goalies mask flys off and his head goes up and then falls down. Dirty yeah, but looked like some embellishment to me.

BTW, Mac looks badass with an "A" and that beard in GR!

That angle in the Moose video wasnt very good, looked like he hit him, but it was strange, the goalies mask flys off and his head goes up and then falls down. Dirty yeah, but looked like some embellishment to me.

BTW, Mac looks badass with an "A" and that beard in GR!

Of course it does. And on the Brown hit it looks like an elbow too.

Fact is, Downey made a cheap shot and Brown made a clean hit. Just because the wisdom of LGW disagrees doesn't make that any less true.

Of course it does. And on the Brown hit it looks like an elbow too.

Fact is, Downey made a cheap shot and Brown made a clean hit. Just because the wisdom of LGW disagrees doesn't make that any less true.

Hey, I may be a Downey fan, but I agree with what you said there. Was just giving my opinion on how I thought the Downey one looked.

So if I'm reading the boxscore right, Downey got a game misconduct again in tonight's loss? :D

no, just a 2 and a 10. he had an interference penalty, then on the way to the box he speared a guy in the nuts (not sure if the refs saw that one... I did though) and then he threw his gloves to try and fight someone I guess, and he was really jawing at the ref on the way to the box.

no, just a 2 and a 10. he had an interference penalty, then on the way to the box he speared a guy in the nuts (not sure if the refs saw that one... I did though) and then he threw his gloves to try and fight someone I guess, and he was really jawing at the ref on the way to the box.

He's just full of piss and vinegar this series.

trust me, there were no highlights from tonight's game. the atmosphere was really down, there were only 2500 people in the stands, entire sections were empty, the players didnt have any jump in them, it was just a bad, bad game

Guest micah
trust me, there were no highlights from tonight's game. the atmosphere was really down, there were only 2500 people in the stands, entire sections were empty, the players didnt have any jump in them, it was just a bad, bad game

Sounds like Downey was trying to provide a little jump. Good on him! I hope Ablekader is watching him very closely, it'll be nice to have a guy in Detroit next year who isn't of the Franzen/Holmstrom/Maltby/Sammuelson school of toughness.