• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Kronwall Jumps on Hits

Rate this topic

Kronwall, without a shadow of a doubt, leaves his feet on almost every single major hit he makes. Is it illegal? Absolutely. Is it dirty? Well.. has anybody ever really gotten hurt from it?

Kronwall breaks the rules, but he's damn good at covering it up. Let's be realistic though.. the man leaves his feet.

Hey... That's almost exactly what I said. Post #14... You think it sounds better coming from you because you're pretty? Alright I know the answer to that. But you think you're better than me at answering your own questions? Alright, alright, fine...

are you guys insane? I see this happen all the time with other players but it sure does get alot of play when a Red Wing does it. The media is very powerful.

Seriously? This whole conspiracy theory/inferiority complex that's going around is getting old.

It's pretty clear those are some illegal hits. You could argue that they're dirty, but like others have said, no one has been hurt. Yet. But I agree with NN, he'd be better off staying on his feet for the check.

He's broken two noses (Ryan Malone and now Ryan Carter... watch out Bobby Ryan), which isn't a big deal in hockey, but it's more of an injury than some hits dished out by "dirty" Anaheim players.

I stand corrected.

On the whole, though, his checks don't even draw blood let alone inhibit a player in any way.

Hey... That's almost exactly what I said. Post #14... You think it sounds better coming from you because you're pretty? Alright I know the answer to that. But you think you're better than me at answering your own questions? Alright, alright, fine...

I think the fact that I worded my posts without questions makes my post > yours, even though the ideas are exactly the same.

And the fact that I'm a woman and have to be right has nothing to do with this.... :ph34r:

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I did ask questions in mine. DAMNIT.... Well, you asked MORE. I still win.

Edited by Ms_Hockey

Against "the rules"? Yes. Dirty? Nah. And if they are dirty, its probably more of an accident on Kronner's part than anything else. For the life of me, I can't recall Kronwall handing out some nasty backhand slashes, head-butts, hits from behind, etc on a regular basis. Because of that, I dont see him as a nasty player by trade, so much as a guy who gets in over his head when he hits.

I think this pretty much sums up the issue. It's against the rules, yes, but it isn't dirty like the cheapshots taken by many Ducks.

Guest MrSandMan

IF it weren't for instant reply, this thread would not exist. I don't think his hits are clear on ice as they are with rewind and slow-mo technology.

That's good and it's bad. It's good because refs can't always see it as clearly because it happens so fast... But if/when he gets the reputation, the refs could give reputation calls even if it is a clean hit.

Not all his hits are illegal. Some project him after the hit... like in yesterdays game. That was a clean hit.

Usually he leaves his feet after contact is made and I do not believe that is illegal. I think if you leave your feet in the process of the hit, so basically jump in to the guy, that is where it is illegal but that's usually not the case.

OK, here is the charging rule.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "Charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

By this rule, leaving your feet is not illegal nor really even matters. Notice it says skates OR jumps into, so a charge is a charge either way.

Therefore it isn't the fact that someone leaves their feet that would make a hit a charge, but just the interpretation of a ref of the check being violent and that they traveled a distance to line up the hit.

I would guess this is why Cornballer normally gets away with it.

Edited by travis08

It seems to me that when he goes to make these big hits, he tries to jump and spin into the guy... almost like he's unleashing a double axle or something. Sometimes it works, and other times it makes him look out of control and he bounces off the guy. Someone else in this thread said something to the effect that he could stay low and skate through guys, and then there would be no question of him jumping into guys, and he could probably recover from the hit (positionally) faster and level the other guy harder.

didn't anyone else have the coach who told them "it's not a penalty if they don't call it" or "if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin"? clearly every single infraction isn't going to be called, so it is the job of the professionals who officiate the game to determine what is allowable, and it is the job of the players to exploit what is allowable to their best advantage - legal or not. i think its this whole hiding behind the rules stuff that makes people think the Wings are soft. legal checks are nice, but well timed crosschecks, BC two-handers, slough foots, or heel whacks are still valuable tools provided the refs dont call them.

Taking the homer glasses off, yeah, those hits are against the rules. I don't want to call them dirty because I don't think they should be illegal- and he certainly doesn't launch into the hits the way Steve Downie did on Dean McAmmond last year in the pre-season.

Nobody can deny he is breaking the rules with those hits, though.

!00% Agree

Guest micah

I have no problem with his hits (in fact I love them!) but they are often dirty - I don't like that he skates away from guys who come chirping to him after he throws a dirty hit. If you're gonna play dirty, great, just man-up and take on the guys who call you out for it. If you're going to hit high, you owe the other guy or team a scrap in return if they want it.

I have no problem with his hits (in fact I love them!) but they are often dirty - I don't like that he skates away from guys who come chirping to him after he throws a dirty hit. If you're gonna play dirty, great, just man-up and take on the guys who call you out for it. If you're going to hit high, you owe the other guy or team a scrap in return if they want it.

How is it a dirty hit if the potential for injury or a concussion is low?

He just has to do a little extra just to get the same impact that of a normal Brad Stuart hit.

I think the fact that I worded my posts without questions makes my post > yours, even though the ideas are exactly the same.

And the fact that I'm a woman and have to be right has nothing to do with this.... :ph34r:

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I did ask questions in mine. DAMNIT.... Well, you asked MORE. I still win.

Yes, dear. (Hands over plastic)

Guest micah
How is it a dirty hit if the potential for injury or a concussion is low?

He just has to do a little extra just to get the same impact that of a normal Brad Stuart hit.

2 broken noses recently say that the potential for unjury isn't all that low. Those are injurries. Granted, they're the kind of injurries that ought not cause a player to miss any games (or even shifts, for that matter) but the nose is on the face, and the face is a part of the head, lest you forget.

2 broken noses recently say that the potential for unjury isn't all that low. Those are injurries. Granted, they're the kind of injurries that ought not cause a player to miss any games (or even shifts, for that matter) but the nose is on the face, and the face is a part of the head, lest you forget.

I'll bite on the Carter broken nose. Malone's broken nose occurred on a hit that was pretty clean, especially in comparison to the majority of Junior's hits. Maybe that was a result of Malone having his head too low and not having enough awareness of Kronwall, even though I hate that argument.

of all of the times where it has been apparent that he leaves his feet before contact

: Peverly, Ruutu, Selanne, carter, he only injured one player and usually these hits are much weaker, his biggest hits were on Malone, Mietenen twice, tootoo, bonk, dumont, nichol, Stewart, prospal, the first selanne hit in last game, and Jones, none of these which he left his feet before contact the only full-out cheapshot ive seen from him is the hit on lupul but that was earlier in hais career

Edited by jollymania

of all of the times where it has been apparent that he leaves his feet before contact

: Peverly, Ruutu, Selanne, carter, he only injured one player and usually these hits are much weaker, his biggest hits were on Malone, Mietenen twice, tootoo, bonk, dumont, nichol, Stewart, prospal, the first selanne hit in last game, and Jones, none of these which he left his feet before contact the only full-out cheapshot ive seen from him is the hit on lupul but that was earlier in hais career

Oh man that first one on Miettenen is one of the most perfect hits I've ever seen. Junior timed it perfectly and the explosion was brilliant and the landing was spectacular. In my book that's right up there with Vladdy's hit in 97's game 3.

Oh man that first one on Miettenen is one of the most perfect hits I've ever seen. Junior timed it perfectly and the explosion was brilliant and the landing was spectacular. In my book that's right up there with Vladdy's hit in 97's game 3.

i pretty much have video footage of all of his hits for the last 2 seasons, for all the jumps he has he has a higher raito of solid clean hits anyways, in the playoffs its just so noticeable because he's looking to make a difference with a hit out there