#41 UKWING

UKWING

3rd Line Checker

• HoF Booster
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (drfnr14 @ May 19, 2009 - 09:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
let alone play-off hockey

well the wings have only been shorthanded once in the last 4 periods of playoff hockey - conspiracy?

#42 Zetterling

Zetterling

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

I believe this to be an instance of flak according to the propaganda model.

1.Ownership of the medium
2.Medium's funding sources
3.Sourcing
4.Flak
5.Anti-communist ideology

This is simply a targeted effort to discredit haters who disagree that the game should not be tilted for the Penguins and eliminate doubt cast on the prevailing assumptions that Crosby is likely a God.

Anti-Crosbyites will be marginalized by pointing to this non-call as clear evidence that the Penguins are indeed a superior team whom never have penalties called against them. Because Crosby is a God.

Edited by Zetterling, 19 May 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#43 therock48880

therock48880

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

Bettman is an NBA guy. Who has the most slanted officiating towards star power of any sport? The Nba. Who has the biggest stars in the Nhl? The Pens do.

In the last six periods of hockey:
Pens: 2 penalties
Their opponents: 8 penalties

Come on guys, how can anyone deny this?

The Pens are playing great right now, don't get me wrong. But Gill commits more than 2 penalties per PERIOD, let alone the last six periods.

For curiosity's sake, anyone know how many 5 on 3's the Pens have had to kill? I'm guessing zero but I'm not sure.
Hasek is becoming iconic in my mind

#44 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ May 19, 2009 - 02:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, who said anything about training? tongue.gif

I took the following statement of yours to be referring to something of the sort:
QUOTE (Shoreline @ May 19, 2009 - 02:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I'm not sure what, it would be nice either for a league meeting, or some sort of inquiry into what the deal is, and more importantly, for them to stop the referees blatantly disregarding obvious calls. (I'm sure you know a player pretty much has to embellish an obvious penalty, that isn't hooking, in order to get it called)

If they can spot a hook from a mile away, they can spot an interference or a knee-on-knee collision right near the puck while they're looking right at the play itself. I have higher expectations from these guys because I know they're not stupid, nor are they blind.

QUOTE (Shoreline @ May 19, 2009 - 02:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did they really need to be trained in what is a penalty before? It wasn't as if the refs didn't know what obstruction was before the lockout. For one reason or another, they selectively decided not to call it. THIS, is what needs to be corrected.

I'm not saying they need to be retrained on what is a penalty and what isn't, obviously they should know that. Again, you're saying they are *selectively* not calling penalties. Unless we're in that ref's skates, we can't make that assumption regardless if it *appears* they are looking right at the play. Clearly, they are missing things we all think we see.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#45 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (theman19 @ May 19, 2009 - 02:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG you have the sheer audacity to come on here and complaign about officating after the crap you got away with last night?

A. I live in Raleigh, so i follow the canes

B. no their not my favorite team.

C. Screw you buddy,.....That game should have been tied had Hal Gill not flown off of Eric Cole trying to gain ground and catapult himself in to MAF. Good Grief, he looked like hudler did when pronger hit him, only Gill has like 4 inches and 50 pounds on cole. The real salt in the wounds is how you can say that after cooke knee on kneeded cole and took him out of the game and likley the series.

The refs on the canes side? Are you nuts? There were bad calls both ways, but don't come on the board of a team that doesn't really care for you anyway and complaign about officating after two highly controversial and bogus plays were comitted BY your team.

A stick was knocked out of MAF hands,..waaaaaaaaaaah. Cole's season could be done asshat.

Screw me? NOTHING was as blatant as that stick knockout. Take off your red glasses and maybe there'll be enough room to get your head out of your ass-hat. Asshat.
"Don't think they don't cheat. It's just that we're better at cheating, that's all.''
--Dan Cleary

#46 dawings1905

dawings1905

Rookie

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ May 19, 2009 - 12:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As we all know, the fix is always in for the Pittsburgh Penguins, which makes last night's goalie interference non-call a real mystery. Here was a Pens' opponent being allowed to knock the stick out of Fleury's hands, the result being a late score that made the game much more dramatic than it should have ever been.

Could it be that this amazing display of blindness on the part of the refs is actually part of a greater plan? Informed sources suggest that the league office actually sanctioned this as part of "Operation Red Penguin" (cousin of Red Herring) a ploy to keep the critics off balance. The plan is simple: favor the opposition early, saving a later time for when the league will award the Penguins their usual supply of calls and non-calls. When the viewing public howls, they then can point to Game 1 and the goal the Hurricanes got away with.

I can hear the commish's Dr. Evil laugh right now, as he rubs his hands together in his office sipping a cognac with his cronies...

Nothing as blatant as Flowers stick you say?????

You mean like the Pens player that slashed the stick out of our D-mans (Lilja) hands when you were on the PP in Game 6 last year (No call), down 3-2 in the series, and 3-1 in the game? You know where a goal was scored about 10 seconds later on a tip from Hossa (Lilja's man) in front of the net? Or Datsyuk racing along the boards to end game 6, then being tripped with about 20 seconds left (No call again) Give me a break, Pens fan is the last one who should be complaining about calls. Get outta here.

Again, I heard no Pens fans complaining about those no calls, why this one?

Edited by dawings1905, 19 May 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#47 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ May 19, 2009 - 01:41PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took the following statement of yours to be referring to something of the sort:

I'm not saying they need to be retrained on what is a penalty and what isn't, obviously they should know that. Again, you're saying they are *selectively* not calling penalties. Unless we're in that ref's skates, we can't make that assumption regardless if it *appears* they are looking right at the play. Clearly, they are missing things we all think we see.

I am more than willing to discount hard-to-see stuff, but slamming someone into the boards and then doing it to two more people right in the same shift way before they even can reach the puck is not subtle or hard to see in the slightest bit any more than the obstruction seen before the lockout with players riding one another with their stick or grabbing them. If you read the GDT several people were wondering what the f*** Gill wasn't given a penalty for, since there was a linesman visibly seen that was looking right at the play.

Despite acknowledging their personal interpretation comes into play, you suddenly downplay the implications of it. I have some very simple questions then. Do you really think the refs did not see the obstruction pre-lockout? Do you really think they do not see the interference that has been happening? It seems we need to get past this part first.

#48 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

/THREAD

Edited by kook_10, 19 May 2009 - 04:03 PM.

works every time

#49 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ May 19, 2009 - 04:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Screw me? NOTHING was as blatant as that stick knockout. Take off your red glasses and maybe there'll be enough room to get your head out of your ass-hat. Asshat.

I saw the post game interviews and Fleury said he didn't think the stick was knocked out of his hands by a stick but basically it was accidentaly knocked loose by players but he thought it was moved away from him after that and maybe there should have been a penalty when it was moved away.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#50 dawings1905

dawings1905

Rookie

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (therock48880 @ May 19, 2009 - 03:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bettman is an NBA guy. Who has the most slanted officiating towards star power of any sport? The Nba. Who has the biggest stars in the Nhl? The Pens do.

In the last six periods of hockey:
Pens: 2 penalties
Their opponents: 8 penalties

Come on guys, how can anyone deny this?

The Pens are playing great right now, don't get me wrong. But Gill commits more than 2 penalties per PERIOD, let alone the last six periods.

For curiosity's sake, anyone know how many 5 on 3's the Pens have had to kill? I'm guessing zero but I'm not sure.

I think they had to kill one (that I remember, I am getting older) in the Caps series, but I would be willing to bet that they get more 5 on 3 PP in the playoffs than any other team.

#51 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

Seems like justice after the Hossa goal in game 6 last year?

Where was Lilja's stick on that play?

(Btw, it wasn't interference on Staal)

#52 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

LOL @ this thread.

Go to exactly 3:00 in to this video and watch the Pens player and Lilja in front of the net, then cry more.

Edited by Xitium, 19 May 2009 - 04:11 PM.

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ May 19, 2009 - 02:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems like justice after the Hossa goal in game 6 last year?

Where was Lilja's stick on that play?

(Btw, it wasn't interference on Staal)

Wow, posted split seconds before my post. Great minds..

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 BewareThePenguin

BewareThePenguin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Zetterling @ May 19, 2009 - 04:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe this to be an instance of flak according to the propaganda model.

1.Ownership of the medium
2.Medium's funding sources
3.Sourcing
4.Flak
5.Anti-communist ideology

This is simply a targeted effort to discredit haters who disagree that the game should not be tilted for the Penguins and eliminate doubt cast on the prevailing assumptions that Crosby is likely a God.

Anti-Crosbyites will be marginalized by pointing to this non-call as clear evidence that the Penguins are indeed a superior team whom never have penalties called against them. Because Crosby is a God.

How about 6. The Plain Simple Truth, Mr. Minister of Disinformation there?

What, the stick didn't get knocked out of his hands?

Sometimes facts are just facts.
"Don't think they don't cheat. It's just that we're better at cheating, that's all.''
--Dan Cleary

#55 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

"Reading comprehension."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#56 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ May 19, 2009 - 04:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am more than willing to discount hard-to-see stuff, but slamming someone into the boards and then doing it to two more people right in the same shift way before they even can reach the puck is not subtle or hard to see in the slightest bit any more than the obstruction seen before the lockout with players riding one another with their stick or grabbing them. If you read the GDT several people were wondering what the f*** Gill wasn't given a penalty for, since there was a linesman visibly seen that was looking right at the play.

Alright, you and I were talking about two very different things then. I completely agree that there have been blatant missed calls (Pronger wrestling Hossa to the ground is just one example).

Despite acknowledging their personal interpretation comes into play, you suddenly downplay the implications of it. I have some very simple questions then. Do you really think the refs did not see the obstruction pre-lockout? Do you really think they do not see the interference that has been happening? It seems we need to get past this part first.

I'm not downplaying the implications of it, you and I were talking about two completely separate types of penalties.

I have some very simple questions then. Do you really think the refs did not see the obstruction pre-lockout? Do you really think they do not see the interference that has been happening? It seems we need to get past this part first.

I'm not exactly sure what you expect to be done about them though. It's just as baffling to me some of the calls that are missed, but do you really think they're missing calls on purpose? Bottom line is that each ref calls interference slightly differently and especially at different points of the game. I think the way the rules are being enforced now is the reason the refs used to allow obstruction to the extent they did pre-lockout. As for post-lockout, the interference is one of those things that I agree is way overlooked. Point and case: the Anaheim series.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#57 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ May 19, 2009 - 04:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

okay I get it , you're a twelve your old troll. Gotcha

You totally ignored my question. Why are you crying about a stick being knocked out in a game you WON. Carolina lost two important players in questionable circumstances AND had the tieing goal negated. Here at LGW we know all about tying goals being called back, i suggest you go cry on the pens board.

Edited by theman19, 19 May 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#58 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ May 19, 2009 - 02:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, you and I were talking about two very different things then. I completely agree that there have been blatant missed calls (Pronger wrestling Hossa to the ground is just one example).

I'm not downplaying the implications of it, you and I were talking about two completely separate types of penalties.

I'm not exactly sure what you expect to be done about them though. It's just as baffling to me some of the calls that are missed, but do you really think they're missing calls on purpose? Bottom line is that each ref calls interference slightly differently and especially at different points of the game. I think the way the rules are being enforced now is the reason the refs used to allow obstruction to the extent they did pre-lockout. As for post-lockout, the interference is one of those things that I agree is way overlooked. Point and case: the Anaheim series.

Okay, so we are on the same page. Now, what I would expect there to be done is look at the way their referees are calling interference, amongst other penalties, and at very least for the league to direct their officiating to call blatant penalties such as interference infractions that go uncalled like our case Gill example. Since there was simply NO way the official could have missed these, just like pre-lockout obstruction was so grossly seen, it is logical to deduce they are simply not calling it. And again, either explain the reason why it's not being called, or, more importantly (since I'd rather see it fixed than justified, as we know interference is interference no matter the reason for it) fix the problem. The Anaheim series you correctly pointed out, and it wasn't just noted by us, but Sharks fans also iterated during the San Jose/Anaheim series the blatant interference issue surrounding Anaheim and how often they got away with it. Normally I don't like bitching just for the sake of bitching but with how many games I watch (not just the Wings), it gets very tiresome and frustrating to see the same s*** happen over and over again.

Edit: Oh, and I really liked the discussion we had too. I agree with you that we shouldn't be hard on the refs for calls they might not have seen, and I won't split hairs over such ambiguity. I'm more or less focused on the obvious occurrences that are all too frequent.

Edited by Shoreline, 19 May 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#59 Zetterling

Zetterling

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (BewareThePenguin @ May 19, 2009 - 05:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about 6. The Plain Simple Truth, Mr. Minister of Disinformation there?

What, the stick didn't get knocked out of his hands?

Sometimes facts are just facts.

I'm not saying that brah.

The stick got knocked out of his hands, yes. Yes, Pittsburgh is a good team. It's just, there have been an overwhelming amount of non-calls on would be penalties to the Penguins. If you added up similar infractions by the Penguins and compared them to the opposing team's calls you would consistently see fewer penalties to Pittsburgh than to the opposition. If you did that, you could pretty much prove there is a bias to the Penguins. This lack of calls leads to more space for skilled players and the ability to score more goals.

Edited by Zetterling, 19 May 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#60 MrSandMan

MrSandMan

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Whoa, why is a Pen fan starting a reffing whine fest on LGW.com? All they do is whine on their forums about refs, now they wish to bring it over here? Them poor Pens, they are so beat up and given the raw deal all the time by the big bad refs. Boo-Hoo! puke.gif

X X X X - X X X X - X X O O - O O O O

The road to the Stanley Cup runs thru HockeyTown!

Show no mercy, leave no doubt!