• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ScubaV

Wings MVP so far?

Rate this topic

For me it goes:

1. Osgood- he has been 100x better so far that anyone could have ever expected

2.Lidstrom- this team would be lost without him. He is expected to produce, while shutting down the opposing teams best players night in and night out.

3. Franzen- he is cluth

4. Cleary- he is cluth

I think you mean "cloth"?

To me, its a no brainer thus far. Osgood has got to be your MVP. There have been players that have stolen a game here and there (franzen has had some big goals, as well as cleary, Lidstrom has been his normal monsterous self, and even helm has played out of his mind) but only one player on the team has gone out there night after night and gave us a chance to win each night. That person is Osgood. The guy only has a 2.03 or something goals against average. Has played every minute of every game. Yes, he doesnt face as many shots as all the other goalies in the league, and yes he has great defense in front of him, and yes he usually gets a bit of offensive help on the scoresheet. But the guys has stolen games for us. Id say it would have to be him. Behind him would probably be cleary with is league leading +14 and clutch goals. Then Franzen. If franzen scores a few more goals i think he could make a push at the end, but Cleary plays better defense in my book so he gets the higher ranking for me. But Ozzie has got to be the MVP right now. Zata is making a push for himself with his defensive abilities all by themselves, but if he wants to repeat as conn smythe hes ganna need to start putting the puck in the net at an insane rate, or if we do make it to the finals and see crosby again, he needs to single handedly shut him down again. Dont be surpised if Z snaps out of this goal scoring drought and makes a run for it. Hes racking up the asissts but hes gotta start putting the puck in the net

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer

Sorry guys, if the Wings win it all again, Osgood will not be mvp.

I'd be the first guy to make "OSGOOD FOR SMYTHE" banners, but lets consider the general consensus on this guy and the guys who are playing in front of him. That alone bars him from ever winning an individual award of that caliber, no matter how valuable he is to the team.

If you're including Zetterberg's name in the top three than you might as well include Datsyuk too. Neither has been amazing. One is playing great defense and the other is the empty net king.

If I had to pick now, I would pick Cleary or Stuart.

Z is not in the top 3, but imo he is playing VERY well (sans one gaff last game).

The reason Z's line has been so dominant in the POs has alot to do with him. Take the GWG in game 7 vs the Ducks. He made a great play with the puck and a great pass to Cleary in front of the net. Why was Cleary open? Because Pronger had to pick between defending Z or Cleary and on reputation picked Z. Z is smart enough to see what is going on and sets up Cleary for the game winner.

Not saying he is CS material at this point, but he is as much responsible for his line-mates success as they are imo....

Z is not in the top 3, but imo he is playing VERY well (sans one gaff last game).

The reason Z's line has been so dominant in the POs has alot to do with him. Take the GWG in game 7 vs the Ducks. He made a great play with the puck and a great pass to Cleary in front of the net. Why was Cleary open? Because Pronger had to pick between defending Z or Cleary and on reputation picked Z. Z is smart enough to see what is going on and sets up Cleary for the game winner.

Not saying he is CS material at this point, but he is as much responsible for his line-mates success as they are imo....

Watch the Game 7 play again, it wasn't a pass to Cleary, Z was trying to shoot it off the back of Hiller's pad, it bounced out instead.

Not trying to belittle Osgoods performance in the playoffs so far, he has been absolutely stellar, but I think many people are just looking at his improvement since the regular season. And rightfully so, but then we obviously have Lids who will play at his highest and best standards throughout the regular season and playoffs. Silently dominating, and I think people are overlooking that fact that just because his game hasn't necissarily improved as much since the regular season it is just because there isn't much improvement to be done in the way he is playing against the other teams top lines.

Not trying to belittle Osgoods performance in the playoffs so far, he has been absolutely stellar, but I think many people are just looking at his improvement since the regular season.

That's true. Compared to the regular season Ozzie has been playing at a surprisingly fantastic level.

However, in comparison to all remaining goalies he leads in, arguably, most of the important statistics.

Wins-10

Loses-3

GA-28

GAA-2.04

Save percentage is .925, second only to Cam Ward at .926.

Edited for Source

IF we were to win the cup Ozzie would get my vote for the Conn Smyth at this point.

Edited by MidMichSteve

Osgood.

I said repeatedly during the regular season that if Osgood played like that in the playoffs we would be at home within a couple of weeks. Well, credit where credit is due, he has turned it around big style.

As for the "he plays in front of a great defence", well generally, yes, he does. However, and I said this repeatedly during the playoffs last year, the Wings don't give up a lot of chances, but the ones they do give up tend to be gilt edged. And Ozzie has stopped almost all of them.

His GAA is best amongst the 4 remaining goaltenders, and because we don't have a skater having a "Crosby" post-season, making them standout, it has to be him right now. Now maybe someone will step up the rest of the way (like Zetterberg outplaying Crosby in the finals propelled him to the Conn Smythe), but right now, its Chris Osgood all the way.

Also, would love to see him win the Conn Smythe as a large plate of STFU to all the "Worst goalie ever to win the Stanley Cup" preachers around the NHL.

Edited by Nev

If you're including Zetterberg's name in the top three than you might as well include Datsyuk too. Neither has been amazing. One is playing great defense and the other is the empty net king.

Datsyuk has 7 points (1+6) and is a +4.

Zetterberg has 16 points (7+9) and is a +12 (2nd overall after Cleary).

Pavel has played better than his numbers indicate, but don't kid yourself. They're both playing good defense, but Z is getting most of the heavier defensive assignments and he has also gotten things done offensively. Take away his 4 empty netters (don't know why you'd do that since those are important goals as well) and he still has significantly better numbers than Pav.

I could probably agree that Ozzie, Franzen and Lids are all ahead of Z in the MVP race on the Wings, but I don't think Cleary is. And definitely not Stuart.

This isn't the "biggest positive surprise of the playoffs"-award.

Edited by dat's sick

Osgood or Lidstrom

Cleary or Franzen in a dead-locked, close third.

Bang on.

But I dare say Datsyuk is a close 4th. The media has jumped on the fact that he has not put up numbers. It is not all about numbers. His play has been great.

And recently(also tied at 4th) Zetta has been starting to heat up, not point wise but positioning wise.

Edited by bellarina

I say Ozzie, my brother says Franzen.

If Chicago wins its Toews

If Pittsburgh wins its Crosby

If Carolina wins it is Ward or Jokinen

I would not be surprised AT ALL if Crosby wins the Conn Smythe even if the Hawks/Wings win the cup. As long as the Pens make it to the finals that is.

again - IF all goes well, it should be Ozzie

last year Detroit gives up 23.6 shots a game.

So far they've given up 28.8 shots a game - more than PIT and CHI!

Last year's PK was over 85% - this year they're struggling to get the puck out of their zone with 71.7%

Somehow Ozzie has maintained his stellar playoff performance from '08 and I wouldn't be surprised if by the end his save pct rivals his .930 from last year.

Everybody seemed to believe Hank won last year because of the amazing 5 on 3 kill, and for Osgood it could be the Wiz robbery, or a number of other clutch saves.

Time will tell - let's get the next 6 first ;)

If I had to pick now, I would pick Cleary or Stuart.

Great point. :rolleyes:

That's why Z always draws the opponents top line and is still + 12 in the playoffs.

It would be tough cause the team is playing pretty well right now. If I had to I would say Cleary, Osgood or Sams. Osgood cause of the obvious (coming off a bad stretch late in the season and getting his mind set and taking control of the games so far...i've only seen maybe one or two soft goals get by him so far) Cleary and Sams both because they

ve made those game changing goals to get us in the lead or to tie up the game. It's hard to put a MVP on the team right now cause there are so many players stepping up and doing good jobs. Ericsson, cleary, osgood, sams, franzen. All could be MVP...

VERY tough to choose out of our clutch players right now. My possible candidates (obviously):

Cleary - OT goal against Ducks, bringing us to CF and his 3 goals against Chicago and he helped set up the OT goal in game 2. If he continues, he could potentially be the MVP, but I doubt it will last sadly.

Hmm, I wish I had watched the same Game 7 against Anaheim as you, it seems much more exciting than the one I saw which didn't go to OT. Though I'm not sure how he helped set up the OT goal in Game 2, considering the forwards on the ice were Filppula, Hudler and Samuelsson.

It would be tough cause the team is playing pretty well right now. If I had to I would say Cleary, Osgood or Sams. Osgood cause of the obvious (coming off a bad stretch late in the season and getting his mind set and taking control of the games so far...i've only seen maybe one or two soft goals get by him so far) Cleary and Sams both because they

ve made those game changing goals to get us in the lead or to tie up the game. It's hard to put a MVP on the team right now cause there are so many players stepping up and doing good jobs. Ericsson, cleary, osgood, sams, franzen. All could be MVP...

If Sammy continues to get the GWG for all of our games and we win the Cup, then he has a chance. He's been great this series, but wasn't huge in the first 2. No way he'll get the Conn Smythe, even though I think he's playing great.

I agree that Ericsson has stepped up admirably, but not MVP-calibre by a long shot.

Osgood would get my vote, but I don't think that he will win the Conn Smythe. If things continue as they are now, I suspect that Lidström or Franzén will be the most likely Wings to get it, even though they may not be the most deserving. Pavel has played great defense, but I think he's pretty much put himself out of the running, along with Hossa. Zetterberg and Cleary have chances (Zetterberg more so than Cleary, if only because he's more famous), but I think that if Franzén keeps on scoring like he did against Anaheim, and if Lidström keeps playing the way he is, they're locks. I think that Ozzie is very deserving, but as usual all of the credit will go to the team in front of him...