• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheCapt19

Interesting Point Made on NHL Live

Rate this topic

Just on NHL Live....

(Paraphrased) Dats probably won't get the MVP, but think about this. If the roles were reversed, and Malkin was out and Dats was healthy, imagine what the prediction would be for the series. --Dave Strader, NHL International Commentator

I think that speaks volumes.

Different scenarios.

Datsyuk was arguably our best regular season player. The Hart voting is over before the playoffs even start, so his performance in the playoffs has no bearing on the award.

Yes, Malkin is much more valuable in these playoffs. Maybe not the regular season, but he will probably win the award simply because of point production and superior raw offensive talent (and beating Datsyuk in takeaways won't hurt his case for voters either).

Different scenarios.

Datsyuk was arguably our best regular season player. The Hart voting is over before the playoffs even start, so his performance in the playoffs has no bearing on the award.

Yes, Malkin is much more valuable in these playoffs. Maybe not the regular season, but he will probably win the award simply because of point production and superior raw offensive talent (and beating Datsyuk in takeaways won't hurt his case for voters either).

Ovechkin will win the award, not Malkin.

Detroit - Hart trophy candidate = Eliminated Chicago and so far better than a completely healthy Pens line-up.

Pittsburgh - Hart trophy candidate = Lose to Flyers in six.

Detroit - Hart trophy candidate = Eliminated Chicago and so far better than a completely healthy Pens line-up.

One thing happened, the other did not and is just your opinion of what would happen. Therefore, your comparison is completely invalid.

The Oilers won the Cup after trading Gretzky. Having good teammates didn't disqualify him from winning the MVP.... over and over again.

Actually, in a sense....it does. Having good teammates allows the coach to run 4 lines more consistently taking ice-time away from guys like Dats. Put Dats on a team that would ice him 23 minutes a night and his numbers likely are right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin's, and his defense is still far superior to those two combined.

That being said, the Norris certainly proves your point.

Yeah, bank on that. Ovie stole everybody's heart this year (well except Grapes that is).

Cherry has an issue with all non Canadian players. Always has and always will.... He is still one of the best Voices in Hockey and he knows good hockey. I love Don Cherry but he does hate all others besides Canadian players.

I also want his suit maker to make me a suit for my wedding one day.

Washington - Hart trophy candidate = doesn't make playoffs.

Pretty easy decision IMO.

Actually, in a sense....it does. Having good teammates allows the coach to run 4 lines more consistently taking ice-time away from guys like Dats. Put Dats on a team that would ice him 23 minutes a night and his numbers likely are right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin's, and his defense is still far superior to those two combined.

That being said, the Norris certainly proves your point.

I think you misunderstand my post. It's not my opinion but a fact I'm pointing out. You can't argue it does because I'm pointing out that it didn't. Past tense. Unless you don't think his teammates in Edmonton were that good.

Washington - Hart trophy candidate = doesn't make playoffs.

Pretty easy decision IMO.

That doesn't necessarily say so much about AO than how bad the Caps really are. They play in an atrocious division (8 games vs Fla, Tampa, & Atlanta - that would kill me to watch that). They have no defense (Green = only scores all those goals in the defenseless East), and some decent but not deep secondary scoring (Semin etc).

I think you misunderstand my post. It's not my opinion but a fact I'm pointing out. You can't argue it does because I'm pointing out that it didn't. Past tense. Unless you don't think his teammates in Edmonton were that good.

When actually compared to Gretzky at the time, they really weren't "that good". That's very much a relative term because Gretzky (especially scoring-wise) was leaps and bounds better than not only anyone on every other NHL team, but his Oilers as well. I don't believe the gap between Malkin, Ovechkin and Datsyuk and their respective other top teammates was as great as Gretzky and his teammates. That's not a shot on Messier and Co., rather a compliment on Gretzky's scoring prowess and ability to read the play.

When actually compared to Gretzky at the time, they really weren't "that good". That's very much a relative term because Gretzky (especially scoring-wise) was leaps and bounds better than not only anyone on every other NHL team, but his Oilers as well. I don't believe the gap between Malkin, Ovechkin and Datsyuk and their respective other top teammates was as great as Gretzky and his teammates. That's not a shot on Messier and Co., rather a compliment on Gretzky's scoring prowess.

Gretzky's stats were mind-boggling, I know. However for me, the fact they won a Cup without him really makes those stats pretty much pointless to me. The team around him was so good, they won the Cup without him. I really like that fact because it throws out any hypotheticals. That is what happened.

I really suck at making points I think, lol so I'll go back to square and the reason I made that post.

What I was saying was, Gretzky won Hart trophies on an amazing team so for me, that argument should be invalid for Datsyuk. Great team or not, if he's the best in the league, he's the best in the league.

In my view, Datsyuk was the best... but I'm not naive enough to think many others would agree.

Heh yah if Pitts didn't have malkin they would of been ousted along time ago, Us without Dats.. we'd still be ticking.

This hypothetical stuff is meaningless to me. With this logic Chris Pronger was just a liability for the Ducks in '07 because they went from losing 5-0 with him, to winning without him in game 4.