• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisdetroit

Malkn for Conn Smythe

Rate this topic

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5
As much as I hate to say it, he is the only other player that I could see winning it besides Chris Osgood. For me it goes 1. Chris Osgood, 2. Malkin

so you're saying if the wings won the cup, malkin deserves the conn over Z? smart, you're not.

Not such a ridiculous idea, really. In terms of marketing, I'm sure the Powers That Be don't want to see Malkin and Crosby walk away empty-handed from two straight SCF series. As for actual merit, the guy basically is the Penguins right now. Sid has been suffocated; he's no chance of winning it. But Malkin has been a threat at times.

Not that I think being "a threat at times" warrants a Conn Smythe, especially if the Wings win. But it's not like the idea has nothing to it.

If you want to award the Conn Smythe like the Hart - sure - of course you have to give it to a great player on a not so great team.... they are easily "more valuable to their team." It's a fact that great teams ususally beat out great individuals, so the Conn Smythe should go to a player from a losing team virtually every year. Great individual effort can often get you deep in the playoffs, but it rarely gets you the ultimate prize without being surrounded by a great team.

If a team wins the Cup 2 years in a row, though, back to back, you can't give the hardware to the other team. Yes, Giguere won it when the Ducks lost the Cup, but that was because he WAS the Ducks for almost the whole playoffs. If Crosby wasn't playing, Malkin would have been wearing the Zetterberg blanket, and would have been invisible as well. He's only benefitting as the less dangerous of a two headed monster.

Now, if Malkin comes out tomorrow night and has an awesome game, putting the Pens on his shoulders, and willing them into a Game 7, then he will probably win the Smythe regardless of the results.

Look at it this way: where would the Pens be right now without Malkin? Probably dead in the water.

Where would the Wings be without Hank? Ozzie? Nick? Mule? Probably still competitive, probably still winning.

I have an intense dislike for Evgeni Malkin. He's immature. He's all offense and absolutely no defense. He's ugly. But he means a s***-ton to this Penguins team, and I actually find that kind of impressive, considering his disappearing act in last year's SCF.

Edited by Dabura

so you're saying if the wings won the cup, malkin deserves the conn over Z? smart, you're not.

Zetterberg has too many empty net points IMO. Trust me I would love to see Zetterberg win it, but with the way the league is with Crosby and Malkin they most likely would have it go to Malkin after Osgood due to his performance this year.

Look at it this way: where would the Pens be right now without Malkin? Probably dead in the water.

Where would the Wings be without Hank? Ozzie? Nick? Mule? Probably still competitive, probably still winning.

I have an intense dislike for Evgeni Malkin. He's immature. He's all offense and absolutely no defense. He's ugly. But he means a s***-ton to this Penguins team, and I actually find that kind of impressive, considering his disappearing act in last year's SCF.

And I agree 100% with your post here.

The thing i find wrong is the comparing malkin to j.s. j.s. was a force. he stopped everything. he surprised everyone by sweeping detroit. malkin hasn't had that kind of upset to be credited to him. i personally, would put Ozzie at the top followed by Z, if the wings pull it out i mean

Wings without Ozzie wouldn't be here. Not unless the replacement was just as spectacular.

Ozzie has been phenomenal. He's my pick for MVP, actually.

But Malkin means more to the Pens. The Pens would, without question, be toast without him. The Wings could probably get by with Conklin.

Zetterberg has too many empty net points IMO. Trust me I would love to see Zetterberg win it, but with the way the league is with Crosby and Malkin they most likely would have it go to Malkin after Osgood due to his performance this year.

So empty net point takes away from his value to the team? Without Zetterberg we would have lost at least one of the first two home games, which would pretty much end the series since we didn't win one in Pitt with Zetterberg. Zetterberg shutting down Crosby has been absolutely massive and without that we would be getting blown out.

Since the award was first given in 1965, five players on the losing team in the SCF have won the award:

2003 Jean-Sebastien Giguere* Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

1987 Ron Hextall* Philadelphia Flyers

1976 Reg Leach* Philadelphia Flyers

1968 Glenn Hall* St. Louis Blues

1966 Roger Crozier* Detroit Red Wings

Ozzie has been phenomenal. He's my pick for MVP, actually.

But Malkin means more to the Pens. The Pens would, without question, be toast without him. The Wings could probably get by with Conklin.

I highly disagree. Hell, there were enough 1 goal games in the Ducks series that were close enough.. without the Wizard's play, eh...

And yet he's a -1 and has 27 penalty minutes in the finals also. You need to look at the whole picture.

If the NHL looked at the whole picture, it wouldn't be placing all of its hopes and dreams on the shoulders of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. ;)

there were enough 1 goal games in the Ducks series that were close enough.. without the Wizard's play, eh...

But by the same token, without Malkin...the Pens probably don't even make the postseason. And they certainly don't advance. He's been an absolute monster for them.