• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

talex

NHL as a product now that season is over.

Rate this topic

1st this is not meant to take away from the Pens victory, Congrats to the Pens... so please keep this in mind.

Reflecting on the season and the product the NHL is now putting forth I have a few thoughts that I posted in another thread, but felt a wider discussion / thoughts would be merrited.

I thought the regular season with as long as it is was a fairly good product, fun to watch and follow with it's share of ups and downs. I traveled to see a bunch of games and to add to my home states as well as to support my team, however since the playoff's my feeling on this have changed. I watched almost every playoff game, not just the Wings but as many as I could of all the teams and I was astounding by how poor officiating was and how often the tv personalities would comment on this, we have goals on offsides, 6 men on the ice for 20x seconds, icing goals, interferance complaints by fans of both teams, the no goal call against the ducks and controvery on the Cleary goal in game 7 vs the ducks.... the pinnacle may have been Quinvilles fine over his comments on officiating.

The finals felt rushed this year, I did not even feel like there was time to hype the series... it just felt rushed and all jammed in, almost to fast to enjoy it as much as it could have been.... felt alot different from years past for me at least and I did not feel either team had the time to truley play with their best possible rested and ready team.

I began to think of how bad the product come playoff time is becoming and came to the conclusion that I probably won't get center ice next year, nor the NHL network... I may not make any trips and purchase jerseys, bobbelheads, banners, octopus, etc, etc... not because I am not a fan of the wings, but because there are better products to spend my money on, especially in this economy, I can get 2 to 4 season tickets on the glass for Admirals games at the Bradley center where the Bucks play for the cost of 1 Wings trip for example.... I can and will watch as many games for free Wings games as I can like many fans do, but I feel the NHL as a product is declining and this is not the players, or the Franchises... it is the league, officiating and marketing people... will the Wings be featured in all the commercials next season as Crosby / Pens were this season? I doubt it, in fact I dread the thought of even turing on anything Hockey releated now especially the NHL network which I was not going to renew anyways because of the poor content and center ice seems very dated and buggy.

Being a transplant from MI to WI, I have several friends as well as my Girlfriend and her 2 children that really got involved in the Wings this year... trying to explain why the rules change during the playoff's to them is an impossible task, commentators were not helping this and they are pretty disgruntled as well especially with the time they put into learning the rules of the game over the course of the season during which we would get little caesars for nearly every game on center ice and everyone had to get a jersey of their favorite player... we probably spent $5 to $6k on the NHL this year between jerseys, tickets, travel, hotels etc... to have huge what if's after all that just stinks, especially for new fans recently vested in the product, I can guarauntee it will be much harder for them to care next year if they feel the games are as much up to officating as to the players and coaches... I cannot speak for them, but I think it is a safe bet.

Again Congrats to the Pens on their Victory, but I am a dispointed fan, not in the Wings... but in the NHL as a product especially come playoff time.

Will I cancel Center ice? I am not 100%, but I can think of no other way to see these issue's addressed and until they do...

Edited by talex

NHL is makign leaps and bounds as far as spreading the image goes. However, the playoffs were a joke and most of the major outlets (ESPN, SI, etc.) ridiculed how biased the playoffs were and even became conspiracy theorists themselves.

So on the one hand, I love that the NHL is getting popular again, but on the other, the league is turning into a joke. And either the world sees how big a joke it is and the NHL goes back to the cellar, or the NHL reforms and continues to gain in popularity.

I think more has to be done to protect the stars. I hate the NBA, but I'd adapt this principle: If you want your superstars scoring alot more goals, then you call ticky tack penalties on players that hook or interfere the superstars, and you let the tickytack stuff go on the 4th line gritty players. It's an option that will allow the game to open up alot more. It will speed the game up. You'll see more ice time for the stars. I mean, imagine Datsyuk puck handling around players when all the opposing player can do is put a stick on Datsyuk's stick or check Datsyuk cleanly?

I think the style the wings play is far more exciting than any other team plays.

Guest Shoreline

The product is becoming bad as far as officiating is concerned. This had better be resolved or at least made progress regarding in the offseason (opposed to the continuous devolving that has come in the last few years) or my continuous subscription to their media via Center Ice is under threat of being no more. And that's aside of the problem Center Ice has already with it's worsening coverage. Add onto that the obvious frustration I'm sure franchises like Phoenix are in due to the prospect of being moved around and stubborn ******* Bettman not letting the team go to where it can be financially viable. As it is I may not be buying an NHL game in a few months when it comes out -- may not even be getting Center Ice and just limiting myself to Versus/NBC/Comcast Bay Area/NHL Network broadcasts. Can't promise anything now but we'll see what happens.

My question is why the officiating had to change in the playoffs? Why not call it like regular season? Doesn't make sense.

It's pretty amazing that as the playoffs moved on, the rules changed. Every round, the rules loosened up more and more overall. You still had rules changnig from game to game though.

I don't get it. You have the additional ref on the ice, yet they still are so inconsistent it makes NBA refs look godlike.

Guest Shoreline
My question is why the officiating had to change in the playoffs? Why not call it like regular season? Doesn't make sense.

The only logical premise is how the product is viewed to more of a worldwide audience, if so many penalties are called during the playoffs, people might get tired of that. The gimmick is let them play, come playoff time, since obviously FAR more people are watching during the playoffs than the regular season, given the advancement in national television coverage.

1st this is not meant to take away from the Pens victory, Congrats to the Pens... so please keep this in mind.

Reflecting on the season and the product the NHL is now putting forth I have a few thoughts that I posted in another thread, but felt a wider discussion / thoughts would be merrited.

I thought the regular season with as long as it is was a fairly good product, fun to watch and follow with it's share of ups and downs. I traveled to see a bunch of games and to add to my home states as well as to support my team, however since the playoff's my feeling on this have changed. I watched almost every playoff game, not just the Wings but as many as I could of all the teams and I was astounding by how poor officiating was and how often the tv personalities would comment on this, we have goals on offsides, 6 men on the ice for 20x seconds, icing goals, interferance complaints by fans of both teams, the no goal call against the ducks and controvery on the Cleary goal in game 7 vs the ducks.... the pinnacle may have been Quinvilles fine over his comments on officiating.

The finals felt rushed this year, I did not even feel like there was time to hype the series... it just felt rushed and all jammed in, almost to fast to enjoy it as much as it could have been.... felt alot different from years past for me at least and I did not feel either team had the time to truley play with their best possible rested and ready team.

I began to think of how bad the product come playoff time is becoming and came to the conclusion that I probably won't get center ice next year, nor the NHL network... I may not make any trips and purchase jerseys, bobbelheads, banners, octopus, etc, etc... not because I am not a fan of the wings, but because there are better products to spend my money on, especially in this economy, I can get 2 to 4 season tickets on the glass for Admirals games at the Bradley center where the Bucks play for the cost of 1 Wings trip for example.... I can and will watch as many games for free Wings games as I can like many fans do, but I feel the NHL as a product is declining and this is not the players, or the Franchises... it is the league, officiating and marketing people... will the Wings be featured in all the commercials next season as Crosby / Pens were this season? I doubt it, in fact I dread the thought of even turing on anything Hockey releated now especially the NHL network which I was not going to renew anyways because of the poor content and center ice seems very dated and buggy.

Being a transplant from MI to WI, I have several friends as well as my Girlfriend and her 2 children that really got involved in the Wings this year... trying to explain why the rules change during the playoff's to them is an impossible task, commentators were not helping this and they are pretty disgruntled as well especially with the time they put into learning the rules of the game over the course of the season during which we would get little caesars for nearly every game on center ice and everyone had to get a jersey of their favorite player... we probably spent $5 to $6k on the NHL this year between jerseys, tickets, travel, hotels etc... to have huge what if's after all that just stinks, especially for new fans recently vested in the product, I can guarauntee it will be much harder for them to care next year if they feel the games are as much up to officating as to the players and coaches... I cannot speak for them, but I think it is a safe bet.

Again Congrats to the Pens on their Victory, but I am a dispointed fan, not in the Wings... but in the NHL as a product especially come playoff time.

Will I cancel Center ice? I am not 100%, but I can think of no other way to see these issue's addressed and until they do...

:clap: very well put,i feel the same way minus the traveling and going to games.i only go to games when we get them 9 dollar tickets or score some free from a friend.

but istill have to buy a hat and t shirt once and awhile.

It's funny you should say that about NHL Center Ice and the NHL Network. I've had Center Ice since the first time it was available and I've been thinking the same thing. I'm tired of watching the players play by one set of standards during the regular season and then having a rule shift seemingly during each successive round of the playoffs.

My issues run deeper than just the officiating, though. The change of schedule (which didn't occur for any of the previous rounds), the 3 game in 4 night scenario (or 4 in 6 if you wish), the constant focus on Crosby that the league has taken.

It makes it easy to be a conspiracy theorist when the broadcasters, who in many cases played, coached and call games on a full-time basis cite non-calls and oversights and point out a media bias toward one team.

One of my favorites was in an interview with Mike Babcock regarding the Pens fan Center Ice commercials in which it looked as if the Pens won the cup last year.

I also disagree with the "marketing reform" comment. I doubt that the NHL is gaining fans and viewership based on their marketing strategy (push the Crosby, it's beginning to turn). Besides the cup lift commercial, which by the way is the best piece of marketing I've seen for the NHL, it is largely focused on a single team and single player. Unless you're a Pens fan you've got to feel slighted by the league.

I full well believe that the NHL is going down the toilet. Short of some new "band-wagon" Pens fans this season, what have they actually gained. Any self-respecting hockey fan who watched the finals had to be utterly disgusted at the product on display. The league talked big about reducing the interference, clutching, and hooking in the neutral zone and at the blue line, but in the finals they rarely called it and when they did they called it inconsistently. That's why we had what boiled down to 6 one goal games and a blowout.

I've spent my life watching hockey at all levels. I do a lot of travelling and have had the opportunity to watch AHL, ECHL, CHL, WHL, and NHL games. I've not seen what I saw in this series in any of the lesser minor pro leagues. I'm very much beside myself at what has transpired.

Very well said! I have been struggling with this the whole playoffs. I am now trying to decide if I will watch the NHL next season. I feel cheated as a hockey fan. I feel as though the league feels it is more important to appeal to fans that don't know or understand hockey. What a disrespect to us long time fans. The way these games were officiated eliminated the grace and skill that the league supposedly wanted to have after the lock-out year. Instead we got to watch the skilled players have to battle thru obstruction and holding to get to find open areas of ice.

The Pens played a great series and adapted to the way the game was being called quicker and easier then the Wings did. Congrats to them! The Wings will be back strong next season I am sure, what I am not sure about is whether or not I will be watching.

I was still trying to explain the Malkin non suspension to my girlfriends teenage son, I have a Media Center PC, so we recorded all the games in HD, he has watched the stick to the back of Z's head probably a dozon times and keeps asking how he could win the MVP or get away with not being suspended... Attempting to explain this to him I realized how stupid I sounded trying to come up with a reason... because there is no valid reason I can come up with other than league rules were squisshy... don;t know if that;s spelled right... I am trying to keep them involved so I am trying to explain things in such a way as to downplay things like this... the best I can come up with sounds stupid and makes no sense...

This situation is exactly what I am talking about as a fan...

Edited by talex

The only logical premise is how the product is viewed to more of a worldwide audience, if so many penalties are called during the playoffs, people might get tired of that. The gimmick is let them play, come playoff time, since obviously FAR more people are watching during the playoffs than the regular season, given the advancement in national television coverage.

Sadly, then they are not really getting a true picture of NHL hockey at all.

Then for starters, the league should call regular season games the way it intends to call the playoff's.

Bottom line is Fans of any team expecially with a 7 game series should be able to feel good about thier team and the sport whether they win or loose. All the what if's caused by percieved partialiality by the league or it's officials leave a bad taste in your mouth regardless of win or loose...

There is a certain satisfaction even in loosing that comes with a fair fought series with out what if's and a less satisfied experience (and experience is what you get from the product) even in winning that comes with what if's

Fans deserve better.

Edited by talex

Guest Shoreline
Then for starters, the league should call regular season games the way it intends to call the playoff's.

Bottom line is Fans of any team expecially with 7 game series to feel good about thier team and the sport whether they win or loose. All the what if's caused by percieved partialiality by the league or it's officials leave a bad tase in your mouth regardless of win or loose...

Fans deserve better.

The bad taste in one's mouth I agree with and think about how other teams' fans feel considering their team was eliminated as well, with the s***ty refereeing being present. Bet on you on pretty much every forum they're complaining about the officiating (even the Penguins forum).

after following NHL seasons and play-offs since 1990 as closely as I could (lived in Russia, now in Finland) this is the first time I'm ready to give up... And now is the best time for me to follow my Red Wings - I have full season subscription to a service similar to NHL CI (here in Europe it is broadcasted via ESPN), I can shop in NHL on-line store, go to Europe games. Man, few seasons back I spend 3K to go to Detroit and watch two games at the Joe. Everything is in place....except for the quality of the product.

Today I cancelled my trip to Stockholm for September games. So if someone from Europe didn't get their tickets you may now book them. 3 tix for each game as I planned to go there with my family. This is just a direct consequence of play-offs. Do not want to watch hockey knowing that it means nothing at the end.

PS just noticed I mentioned "ready to give up"... I actually gave up. I wish all the best for my Red Wings but will try to follow KHL next season.

Edited by RusDRW

The stock of the "NHL Product" went way down in my book after seeing Bettman hand Crosby the Cup.

As I watched in disgust, I could not help but wonder why the league must shove this guy down everyone's throat. He is not even the best player on his team, yet he was first to hoist the cup despite being ineffective all series!!

But, there he is front and center and basking in all of the glory despite many of his teammates being far more deserving.

The crappy officiating and the general bias toward the Penguins and Crosby make the league a joke.

Guest Shoreline
after following NHL seasons and play-offs since 1990 as closely as I could (lived in Russia, now in Finland) this is the first time I'm ready to give up... And now is the best time for me to follow my Red Wings - I have full season subscription to a service similar to NHL CI (here in Europe it is broadcasted via ESPN), I can shop in NHL on-line store, go to Europe games. Man, few seasons back I spend 3K to go to Detroit and watch two games at the Joe. Everything is in place....except for the quality of the product.

Today I cancelled my trip to Stockholm for September games. So if someone from Europe didn't get their tickets you may now book them. 3 tix for each game as I planned to go there with my family. This is just a direct consequence of play-offs. Do not want to watch hockey knowing that it means nothing at the end.

PS just noticed I mentioned "ready to give up"... I actually gave up. I wish all the best for my Red Wings but will try to follow KHL next season.

I like your rationale for the way you handle the money issue in regards to not supporting the way the league handles it's product, but what I don't get is why you expect the KHL to be any different.

I like your rationale for the way you handle the money issue in regards to not supporting the way the league handles it's product, but what I don't get is why you expect the KHL to be any different.

I actually watched some KHL play-offs this year. Of course, the level of talent is a bit lower than in NHL (especially in the regular season) but it is compensated by unbiased officiating. There were also mistakes... none of them, however, directly affected outcome of those games I watched.

It's funny you should say that about NHL Center Ice and the NHL Network. I've had Center Ice since the first time it was available and I've been thinking the same thing. I'm tired of watching the players play by one set of standards during the regular season and then having a rule shift seemingly during each successive round of the playoffs.

My issues run deeper than just the officiating, though. The change of schedule (which didn't occur for any of the previous rounds), the 3 game in 4 night scenario (or 4 in 6 if you wish), the constant focus on Crosby that the league has taken.

It makes it easy to be a conspiracy theorist when the broadcasters, who in many cases played, coached and call games on a full-time basis cite non-calls and oversights and point out a media bias toward one team.

One of my favorites was in an interview with Mike Babcock regarding the Pens fan Center Ice commercials in which it looked as if the Pens won the cup last year.

I also disagree with the "marketing reform" comment. I doubt that the NHL is gaining fans and viewership based on their marketing strategy (push the Crosby, it's beginning to turn). Besides the cup lift commercial, which by the way is the best piece of marketing I've seen for the NHL, it is largely focused on a single team and single player. Unless you're a Pens fan you've got to feel slighted by the league.

I full well believe that the NHL is going down the toilet. Short of some new "band-wagon" Pens fans this season, what have they actually gained. Any self-respecting hockey fan who watched the finals had to be utterly disgusted at the product on display. The league talked big about reducing the interference, clutching, and hooking in the neutral zone and at the blue line, but in the finals they rarely called it and when they did they called it inconsistently. That's why we had what boiled down to 6 one goal games and a blowout.

I've spent my life watching hockey at all levels. I do a lot of travelling and have had the opportunity to watch AHL, ECHL, CHL, WHL, and NHL games. I've not seen what I saw in this series in any of the lesser minor pro leagues. I'm very much beside myself at what has transpired.

The good news is is that the whole "Push the Crosby" marketing scheme will ultimately backfire on both the league and the Penguins organization.

Do you think his teammates will become somewhat annoyed with Crosby getting all of the attention even though he did not carry his team to a victory?

I think more has to be done to protect the stars. I hate the NBA, but I'd adapt this principle: If you want your superstars scoring alot more goals, then you call ticky tack penalties on players that hook or interfere the superstars, and you let the tickytack stuff go on the 4th line gritty players. It's an option that will allow the game to open up alot more. It will speed the game up. You'll see more ice time for the stars. I mean, imagine Datsyuk puck handling around players when all the opposing player can do is put a stick on Datsyuk's stick or check Datsyuk cleanly?

I think the style the wings play is far more exciting than any other team plays.

"Protecting the Stars" would only add to the problem of making the league seem biased.

Some would argue that the league did just that by not suspending Malkin this year or Pronger in 2007.

All the league needs to do is enforce the rules across the board from start to finish. If the offender is NHL poster boy Crosby, then so be it!!

I watched well over 500 games this season, regular and playoffs, and the thing that frustrates me the most is the inconsistency of the officiating. Regular season, the officiating was not horrible, but there were a lot of calls that were made where you could understand why they called it or why they let it go. In the playoffs however, it was just pathetic. I'd be watching one series and they are calling everything, then another series they put their whistles away entirely. The fact that everything in the playoffs was on national TV and therefore the errors were magnified by the commentators pointing out every flaw in the officiating makes it even more inexcusable. I wish I could offer a real solution, but basically the league needs to take a long hard look at the product they put on the ice this year and something needs to change, whether it's the on-ice officials themselves, the crew cheifs, or the league personnel that are responsible for the officiating, but do something. I am fortunate to have Center Ice at work so I do not have to pay for it, but I totally understand the sentiments of those who have stated their intent to spend their money elsewhere. The NHL has been alienating it's biggest fans for years, and this is just the latest in a long line of failures. I will always be hockey fan and more importantly, a Red Wings fan, but it is getting harder and harder to stomach the NHL. :(