• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zetts

Howard to backup next year

Rate this topic

Sorry if this has already been posted, it's been news for a little bit but I couldn't find a thread on it.

The most recent story on it, is here.

Jimmy's earned a chance to get to the top," said Jim Nill, the assistant general manager of the Detroit Red Wings. "We have full confidence that Jimmy Howard's going to come in and be a goalie for the Red Wings, but he has to come in and earn that, and there's an opportunity for him to do that.

And another story:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06/re...land_discu.html

His back-up will be Jimmy Howard, a 25-year-old who has paid his dues in the American League.

It doesn't seem like it's set in stone, although I certainly get the impression they're leaning strongly toward Howard.

Guest micah

I am very comfortable with a goaltending tandem of Osgood/Howard. I hope Ozzie can stay healthy, but I would have hoped that if we had Conklin for another year too.

I watched conklin in Green Bay quite a bit - I never thought that kid would make it as far as he has. That's why I'm not a scout I guess.

I have not really felt confortable with Howard in net, but hopefully now that he has the chance to play for the big boys, he breaks out and proves why we have the best scouts in the world.

How much cash do we save from letting Conks go and bringin in Howard? a million? That;s much needed money for the team

I have not really felt confortable with Howard in net, but hopefully now that he has the chance to play for the big boys, he breaks out and proves why we have the best scouts in the world.

How much cash do we save from letting Conks go and bringin in Howard? a million? That;s much needed money for the team

Howard at 800k actually makes more than Conklin's 700k form 08/09.

The Wings have been too patient with Jimmy to just trade him or lose him on waivers. He needs a shot.

I believe that we save 33 thousand. No jokes.

Conklin was 750 000.

Howard is 717 000.

Edit: Zombo, where are those numbers from?

Edited by Zetts

It's time Howard started to shine. He has had more than enough time to "develop" in GR. He needs to be, IMO, better than a Conklin to satisfy my backup needs in training camp.

I just haven't been sold on the guy yet.

The Wings have been too patient with Jimmy to just trade him or lose him on waivers. He needs a shot.

Watched Howard get mulled in the AHL almost every game I seen, Admirals owned him, call ups to the Wings looked no better.

I wish he could get a shot... somewhere else.

I am very comfortable with a goaltending tandem of Osgood/Howard. I hope Ozzie can stay healthy, but I would have hoped that if we had Conklin for another year too.

I watched conklin in Green Bay quite a bit - I never thought that kid would make it as far as he has. That's why I'm not a scout I guess.

I'm no expert, but I haven't been impressed with Howard during his starts with the Wings. I think the pairing of Conklin and Osgood worked great this season.

There are plenty of decent back-up goalies out there that could be had during the season in a trade.

Like I said, you don't invest in 5 years of development in a player, especially a goalie, to just cut him loose.

Everyone bitching about losing Quincey to waivers should be glad that Howard's getting a shot.

I believe that we save 33 thousand. No jokes.

Conklin was 750 000.

Howard is 717 000.

Edit: Zombo, where are those numbers from?

DAmn, Conklin was a bargain! I hope Conk shines as a starter on his new team... he's earned it!

This is so untrue. We're not bringing him to Detroit to be our backup unless the PTB's think he's our best option. We let LOTS of players walk away we invest years into without giving them a shot. And even more so that we're not going to do that is we actually want our backup goaltender to play regularly. Especially with comments from Ozzie that he wasn't mentally ready to play pretty much until the playoffs this year after playing last year to June. I'm thinking they'd like the backup to play almost as much, maybe even "more" then the starter for quite a bit of the season.

jimmy knows its on him now by holland picking thomas mcolum in last years draft.he deserves more than 3 starts this season. you cant expect a goalie to play in 2 games a year and not be nervous everytime he plays. this year he will get 20 starts and get comfortable with the different style of hockey in the nhl and when this happens the team will get comfortable playing in front of him like they are in front of ozzy :thumbup:

i dont really feel confident in jimmy either, id be glad for him to prove me wrong as well. conklin was great and i was hoping he'd be back next year. seemed like a great guy and had, what was it 6? shutouts last year.

Unless I'm mistaken, Howard is out of options for the AHL. He's more or less got the backup job by default.

You're correct.

That's true, but it was the same case for Quincey.

Not really. Quincey was low on the depth charts. He floundered in the AHL for a season, stunk up training camp, looked terrible in his most recent call-ups, and was stuck below 3 other non-roster defensemen in terms of where he sat on the depth charts.

Howard represents a long 4 year investment of development. He's a former AHL all-star and a standout in 3 of his 4 AHL seasons. He's at the top of the non-roster goalie depth chart. Goalies are the most difficult players to scout and judge the development of. It's been shown over the years that goalies can skyrocket after some NHL seasoning time as a back-up. If teams abandoned their goaltending prospects after only a dozen NHL starts many of the elite goalies in the NHL would be playing on different teams, if at all.

In terms of skill-set Howard has the tools to be a starting goaltender in the NHL according to scouts. All he has to do is get more consistent and get some NHL seasoning.

Moreover, while Howard looked bad in his single call-up last year in front of a decimated Wings team, he looked good in his call-ups the year before (although, again he was often playing in front of a team decimated by injuries).

There are plenty of decent back-up goalies out there that could be had during the season in a trade.

Like I said, you don't invest in 5 years of development in a player, especially a goalie, to just cut him loose.

Everyone bitching about losing Quincey to waivers should be glad that Howard's getting a shot.

Bingo.

And people need to chill out about Quincey- he definitely cooled off in his second half and has come back down to earth. His long-term worth has yet to be determined. Regardless- he's not better than Ericsson or Kindl, so there's no room for him here anyway.

Watched Howard get mulled in the AHL almost every game I seen, Admirals owned him, call ups to the Wings looked no better.

I wish he could get a shot... somewhere else.

QFT

Unless a miracle happens, his time with the Wings will be a short one.