• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Teams calling Detroit about Hossa

Rate this topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

MONTREAL -- The Detroit Red Wings got a query or two this weekend from teams looking to acquire the rights to pending unrestricted-free-agent forward Marian Hossa.

"Yeah, I have been approached about acquiring his rights," Wings GM Ken Holland told ESPN.com on Saturday as the NHL draft wrapped up.

But for now, the answer is no as Holland keeps trying to re-sign the star winger.

"But obviously if it appears that we can't get anything done in the next 48 hours, then … you'd rather get something than nothing," Holland said. "So right now, I'm just in a holding pattern."

The NHL's top GM is in a holding pattern because there's not much else to say. The Hossa camp, led by agent Rich Winter, knows what Detroit can afford.

"We've talked, he knows our cap challenges," Holland said. "They can probably do better on the open market than what we can do. There [are] teams out there with more cap space. I've tried to put our best foot forward. He's been talking to Marian, and they're going to decide whether they hit the open market or whether they're going to see if we can get something done."

When reached via e-mail Saturday, Winter declined to discuss the Hossa situation. Meanwhile, Winter also represents Wings forward Tomas Kopecky, also slated for UFA status come Wednesday.

"I talked to Rich Winter on Kopecky, and it appears he's going to hit the open market," Holland said. "I made an offer, but he's hoping to do a lot better than what we offered."

Another pending UFA is veteran forward Mikael Samuelsson, and there's still hope on that front.

"I talked to Samuelsson's agent a couple of days ago, and we're going to talk again by Monday," Holland said. "We'd like to keep Sammy. But again, it's all about the cap."

If no deal is in place by today - Detroit is going to trade Hossa's rights to L.A. Kings

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06/ma...will_trade.html

Matheson: Red Wings will trade Marian Hossa's rights, probably to Los Angeles, if he's not signed by Monday

Posted by George James Malik June 28, 2009 08:42AM

Regarding the status of probable unrestricted free agent-to-be Marian Hossa, the Edmonton Journal's Jim Matheson has provided the most reliable and accurate reads on Ritch Winter's client (as Winter works out of Edmonton) since, well, January. Matheson suggests that the Red Wings will attempt to receive some sort of compensation for Hossa, confirming two independent reports suggesting that Hossa could find himself at his probable destination before July 1st:

June 28, Edmonton Journal: If Marian Hossa doesn't take the Red Wings' long-term offer for between $4 and $5 million a year, Detroit will trade his negotiating rights, likely by Monday, two days before free agency opens.

Reliable sources say the Los Angeles Kings, who are looking for a marquee player and have lots of salary cap room, will come hardest after the unrestricted free agent. They could play Hossa with Anze Kopitar.

The Kings are one of the few teams with enough cap space to go after Hossa and possibly Marian Gaborik, but various reports, from Bruce Garrioch included, suggest that they no longer plan on trading assets for Dany Heatley. As Matheson notes, the Edmonton Oilers made a big pitch for Hossa last summer, but Edmonton's restricted free agents' speak for it.

In terms of compensation? If the Wings can get a draft pick or two out of the equation, it's better than nothing.

Update 10:36 AM: Paul Kukla of Kukla's Korner noted that the Minnesota Wild supposedly want to make a pitch for Hossa, Gaborik, somebody big, but you have to overpay to get an offensive player to come to a place like Minnesota, new coach included. Like $8 million a year overpaying.

Can we have Cluterback?!

If no deal is in place by today - Detroit is going to trade Hossa's rights to L.A. Kings

edit: nvm, saw your 2nd post.

It's nice that we can atleast get something for Hossa if he doesn't sign here.

Edited by dat's sick

I don't know ... Calgary certainly payed a steep price for the rights to Bouwmeester. Hossa is certainly more valuable than he.

Calgary paid only a 3rd round pick... Leopold is a pending UFA as well and they came to the understanding that they wouldn't be able sign him.

Edited by T-Ruff

I don't know ... Calgary certainly payed a steep price for the rights to Bouwmeester. Hossa is certainly more valuable than he.

they gave up a third rounder and the negotiation rights for Leopold - A third rounder or a decent prospect is about what I'd expect for Hossa's rights.

they gave up a third rounder and the negotiation rights for Leopold - A third rounder or a decent prospect is about what I'd expect for Hossa's rights.

I didn't realize Leopold was a UFA. I thought he was a RFA. my bad. then I guess asking for Quincy back is a bit much. :)

If we lose Samuellson and Hudler to free agency simply because they can get more money elsewhere no matter how the Hossa thing shakes down, we're in trouble offensively if we don't manage to resign Hossa. Between the three of them, that's over 80 goals you can shave off our total from last year. Our kids will help, but it's unrealistic to expect them to put up even close to 80 goals of help.

Isn't Hudler a RFA???? It says he is on the salary chart! I think he will be back for at least one season. If Hossa goes, then I see us resigning Sammy! I would say Sammy would resign at somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 million a year hit! Which would leave just over 1 million to play with!

I would love to see Hossa stay, but I understand the circumstances, hope he does well in LA or Minny!! (Just not against us)!!

Isn't Hudler a RFA???? It says he is on the salary chart! I think he will be back for at least one season. If Hossa goes, then I see us resigning Sammy! I would say Sammy would resign at somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 million a year hit! Which would leave just over 1 million to play with!

I would love to see Hossa stay, but I understand the circumstances, hope he does well in LA or Minny!! (Just not against us)!!

Yes, Hudler is a RFA.

Good post Donaldjr, thanks for your time Hossa, if the situation isn't right for you here, good luck elsewhere.

Hudler's an RFA but bottom line, other teams will offer any of our guys more than we will. Some might offer far more than we will. There's only so much they're going to bend for lesser guys when they're not even bending much for Hossa.

Gimme Clutterbuck for the rights to Hossa.

clutter buck could be awesome, would be an excellent replacment for kopecky

but i'd really like to see quincey back from the kings, be a great insurance policy for lilja, but since quincey has turned into one of LA's best dmen not likely

minny mkaes alot of sense cause hossa and gaborik want to play together