• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

What was Chicago thinking?

Rate this topic

This is going to be interesting. Chicago's primed for a run for one season, save one small problem- their goaltending.

Let's look at Huet's stats. 2.45 career GAA, and he hasn't been below 2 in a season with a starting/shared job (30+ starts) since 2001, back in Switzerland. His GAA against the Central last season? 2.95. Against Detroit last season? 4.29.

He gets worse in the playoffs- career GAA of 2.73, last year 3.23.

I can't help but think Chicago may be in trouble. Hossa for Havlat is a lateral move, and their goaltending got worse.

Chicago was thinking they want to win the Cup, why are people so mad at a team finally being smart enough to sign the right people?

Chicago was thinking they want to win the Cup, why are people so mad at a team finally being smart enough to sign the right people?

I'm not mad in the least. I just question their strategy of signing endless forwards when there's a gaping hole in their net.

Its just showing why Scotty Bowman is one of the smartest guys out there. Everything he touches turns to gold.

Just one problem. How are they going to afford all of these guys next year? Bowman may be a genius, but he never had to face a salary cap issue like this.

Just one problem. How are they going to afford all of these guys next year? Bowman may be a genius, but he never had to face a salary cap issue like this.

Same why we have Dats, Z, and Fronz

I can just picture him sitting on the ice watching Lidstrom get his picture taken with the campbell cup!!!!! :P And I can't picture Hossa ever wearing a Wings sweater as long as Ilitch owns the team. I think Ilitch really gets upset when players don't show the same loyalty that he feels towards his players.

I have absolutely no fear about Chicago. I was merely pointing out that this could be a huge blunder of a signing if it means they lose Kane or Toews as a result.

I think this would have been a good signing if it puts them over the top. If winning a championship means losing one of your star players, then it works. But they gained Marian Hossa and lost Kabibulan and Havlat. I dont think Hossa would do that much better than Havlat in a 7 game series against the winged wheelers.

Hossa has a tendency to score hat tricks against the Wings.

Guest mindfly

Chicago are douchebags

"Havlat received multi year offers from several teams...except Chicago. After 3 months of negotiating a long term contract, Chicago would not offer anything more than a 1 year deal. So much for taking care of the team MVP."
Edited by mindfly

Chicago could not manage to put more than 2 goals per game against an injured and banged up Detroit in the Conference Finals (missing Datsyuk and Lidstrom in 2 of them) -- Hossa alone is not going to significantly change that. Huet seems underwhelming, as well.

This is Chicago's one-year window, just like Detroit had that window last year -- of having a ridiculous amount of talent on the ice b/c of entry level type contracts.

Toews, Kane, & Keith will all get deals similar to Hossa. Really long terms with similar cap hits. Rational would suggest that although young & talented, Toews and Kane are not proven like to the extent of Hossa, & therefore would accept similar yearly amounts.

Say the Hawks offer Toews & Kane 15-18 year deals at 4-5 mil a season. The total contract would be between 60-90 million for players who would still only be in their late 30's when it expires. Hossa just signed a 62 million dollar contract & has had 100pt season, & 2 SC appearences. However, with cap hits of 4-5 mil per year for Toews, Kane, Hossa, & Keith it leaves the team with enough room to fill the rest of the roster.

I can't believe we are talking about Hossa being traded to Detroit after this season, or at all for that matter!!!

He'll never play for the Wings again in his career.

Time to move on folks.

yes, the blackhawks are going to be in cap trouble next year... but if tallon wants to dump 5m its NOT going to be via hossa. there are plenty of other players who are way overpaid and dispensable. hawks fans just better hope they dont run into the problem they did this year and no one wanting them.

tallon embarrassed himself last season by wrapping up 12m in goaltending, which ultimately prevented him from making a move at the trade deadline. with next year's ufa tidal wave it could go either way, but hossa isnt going anywhere.

Chicago are douchebags

Tallon said that they couldn't get a deal done with Havlat and decided to "go in another direction". They sure did.

A 12-year deal instead of a 1-year deal? Were they really that turned off by Havlat's tendency to get injured that they couldn't offer him a longer term?

Toews, Kane, & Keith will all get deals similar to Hossa. Really long terms with similar cap hits. Rational would suggest that although young & talented, Toews and Kane are not proven like to the extent of Hossa, & therefore would accept similar yearly amounts.

Say the Hawks offer Toews & Kane 15-18 year deals at 4-5 mil a season. The total contract would be between 60-90 million for players who would still only be in their late 30's when it expires. Hossa just signed a 62 million dollar contract & has had 100pt season, & 2 SC appearences. However, with cap hits of 4-5 mil per year for Toews, Kane, Hossa, & Keith it leaves the team with enough room to fill the rest of the roster.

Toews, Kane and Keith are all too young to take deals like Hossa/Zetterberg/Franzen -- they are on the incline for as many as 10 years, while all these 30 year-olds will most likely be retired in 10 years. Crosby and Malkin signed hometown discounts at $8.7m, because under even the most conservative estimates, they will improve, and could improve by leaps and bounds.

These guys would be idiots to sign long-term, low-cap hit contracts in a year when the cap is most likely going down.

Keep in mind that the cap is expected to decrease next year (the year these guys' contracts are up) and already have 20million locked up in 3 guys, two of which is way overpaid and nobody in their right mind will ever take.

There's no way Chicago can sign all three of these guys. Chicago is losing at least one and they're not going have any solid depth after this year. Yesterday wasn't a good day if you're a Chicago fan, their GM just mortgaged away their entire future for a one-year-window while having subpar goaltending. When was the last time a team won the cup with a shaky and unreliable goaltender? Perhaps Tallon should have went after Conklin, too.

Edited by Snazzy

15-18 year deal for Toews and Kane?? Now that would be something to see. The reason those 10-12 year deals for guys like Zetterberg, Hossa and Franzen are so good is because they'll most likely never play out the entire lenght of it. They'll retire and the cap hit will go off the books.

Signing a 20-year old guy to an 18-year deal is a HUUUGE risk. What if they play good for 2-3 years and then start getting a bit lazy and stop improving? What if they blow out a knee, gets surgery and becomes a much worse player?

Not to mention Toews and Kane have yet to earn a lot of money. You can't sign them to a contract that has them earning 1 mil a year in their early 30's, they'd never agree to that. Putting 2-3 cheap years at the end of an 18-year deal is not going to get the cap hit down a lot.

I personally think the Hawks are in a pretty good position even beyond this coming season, but I think you're living in fantasy land if you expect 4-5 mil cap hits for Toews and Kane.

Edited by dat's sick

I'm not sure the NTC situation in Chicago - but they need it to be next to nil.

Campbell, for instance, could screw that team over with a NMC -- they may end up having to put him on waivers, and hoping someone will claim him at a reduced rate on re-entry -- or simply buy him out.

The reason I could see Hossa being moved ahead of someone like Campbell is quite simple: money. Hossa's going to be far easier to deal at his cap hit than Campbell will be. But, time will tell. I really have a lot more faith that they'll find a way to get this all fixed up in the next couple of years. I don't think it'll be pretty in terms of transitions season to season, but I think they'll get through it far better than some are speculating.

This thread has been pretty interesting.

I agree with most that Chi is looking at a 1-yr stint to try and grab the Cup. I doubt it will happen because I think their goaltending and D are the biggest question marks. I don't care if they added defensive forwards. . . are you going to sacrifice scoring so the forward is in a better D position? The Hawks only movable player is Hossa, but that would be stupid to move him at the trade deadline. Why did they pick him up for this year then?

I was laughed at because I called Talon the dumbest GM yesterday. All season long we heard how Chi is back and with their youth movement, they will be around for a long time. With signing Hossa, not addressing their mediocre goaltending, and not really beefing up their D corps, it will be nearly the same Hawk team of last season with no cap room to sign the oh-so-talked-about youth movement in Chi. Especially if the cap decreases or remains stagnant again.

Holland knew what he was and was not doing, and doing nothing yesterday proved best.

If we sign Hudler and Sammy, we have essentially the same team minus Drake and Cheli that won the Cup in 2008. What is wrong with that?

And, the Wings are positioned very well for FA signings following 2010 season. There is no way the Wings offer Lidstrom a contract any higher than $5M and I'd be surprised if it were that high. IMO, I think Holmer and Maltby are done after next year.

I say, GO WINGS. I'm going to enjoy watching the Hawks implode. Remember, they are only 1 big injury away from mediocrity. . . what happens to "their plan" if Hossa goes down? Interesting.

"What was Chicago thinking?"

They were thinking they'd sign a stud forward to a 5.2 cap hit. A no brainer. They will move out lesser players over the next years for more assets.

Edited by Pucks