• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DZ13

In Regards To Hudler's Skills

Rate this topic

I've been reading/hearing a lot about whether or not to sign Hudler, how much he is worth, ect.

I want to know what intelligent Wing's fans think:

I love Hudler, he is one of my favorite players, but is he simply a product of the Wings system? Or could he produce somewhere else?

He could produce somewhere else. He has great offensive instincts, a great pass, great vision, and a mediocre shot. The only thing holding him back is his size and skating ability, which he is improving. He has a lot of potential.

He'll look good on a powerplay anywhere in the league.

If he could skate like St. Louis they would be similar players. However he isn't necessarily quick and he can get rubbed off pucks easily due to his size and the fact he is a bit weak on his skates.

Bottom line is he is good to have in a passing game... but 1 vs 1 he is a liability at times, especially in corners.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hudler has the skill of an all-star, but the physical capabilities of an ohler. If god had blessed him with a few more inchs, a bit stronger legs, and a few more plds of muscle, he would be a bonafide first liner on any team. However this will never happen, and still struggles when keyed on by top paring defensemen. In my mind Hudler is the perfect secondary scorer/powerplay specailst, and could easily net 70 points multiple times in his carear, especailly if he stays with us, using his world class skills to his advantage agaisnt the other scrubs on the third line. He will never be a first liner or a selke canidate, but honestly I think his "lack of defensive play" is more so the fact that he is a slow skater, not that he isnt trying. If you look, he actually has good postioning and backchecking skills, but is just not physically gifted to do it. Unlike other small players of the past (Palffy, St. Louis, Fleury), Hudler has no amazing burst of speed (though when he gets alone, he is among one of the faster player in the NHL), and this greatly limits him.

In short I belive Hudler will be able to always contribute as a secondary scoring option, throwing down 30 goals several times in his carrear, along with 70+ pts several times, but he will never be an all-star/first liner.

Shame too cause I love the guy.

Edit: For the record, I have no doubt Hudler has more natural talent then both Hossa and Franzen. Absoultly no doubt in my mind. He is also a better playmaker then Zetterberg.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

If he just had a little more speed and explosiveness his size wouldn't be as much of a problem. Lack of size + lack of speed = easy to stop.

He has great skills though, and his shot is actually not that bad. I would definitely not call him a product of the Wings system. He's probably a player that could bloom if he was on a team that really believed in him and gave him a lot of ice-time with good linemates.

On a team like the Rangers he could do wonders I think. I'm not sure if they're interested, but they should be. Put him on the 2nd line there and the 1st PP unit and he'll get 70+ points for sure.

Hope we keep him though.

He is absolutely NOT a product of the Red Wings system, he was projected to be a good player going into that 2002 draft; I still have a clipping from ESPN the Magazine in 2002 for their NHL draft preview (you know, the one page they devote to hockey), and they were saying that Hudler could be the second forward drafted after Rick Nash. That's quite high praise, and there are probably a ton of teams now that wish they would've drafted him instead of passing him up twice and letting him fall to 58th.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
More talent than Hossa and Franzen and a better playmaker than Zetterberg. Wow. :lol:

Hossa is bascially a super Samuellson, Fast, Defensivily responsible, but takes wrists shtos from the point. Show me 5 goals from him that have above average stick work. Please. Hossa is a much better player then hudler, but Hudler has more talent. Hudler makes passes and stickhandles moves that neither Franzen or Hossa could dream of. If you disagree that's fine, you clearly have never played hockey or have watched a game and just rely on stats. Hossa's points are more a byproduct of his determanation and astonsihing speed and timing rather then actual skills.

In a skills competetion, Hudler would run train on both Franzen and Hossa in terms of passing/shooting accuracy and stick handeling drills.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hossa is bascially a super Samuellson, Fast, Defensivily responsible, but takes wrists shtos from the point. Show me 5 goals from him that have above average stick work. Please. Hossa is a much better player then hudler, but Hudler has more talent. Hudler makes passes and stickhandles moves that neither Franzen or Hossa could dream of. If you disagree that's fine, you clearly have never played hockey or have watched a game and just rely on stats. Hossa's points are more a byproduct of his determanation and astonsihing speed and timing rather then actual skills.

In a skills competetion, Hudler would run train on both Franzen and Hossa in terms of passing/shooting accuracy and stick handeling drills.

To clarify this point:

Datsyuk is basically a super-Hudler. Basically the same player with a more physical size and strength, not to mention skating strength.

Hossa is ridiculously fast and has a great shot, but he's not at all the playmaker or puckhandler Hudler is.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
To clarify this point:

Datsyuk is basically a super-Hudler. Basically the same player with a more physical size and strength, not to mention skating strength.

Hossa is ridiculously fast and has a great shot, but he's not at all the playmaker or puckhandler Hudler is.

You might want to add in that Datsyuk is about 1 trillion times the defensive player that Hudler is.

Saying he's a super-Hudler is an understatement. The guy is a Selke winner and finalist for MVP. Hudler has skills but isn't worth mentioning in the same breath as Datsyuk. It's an insult to Datsyuk.

You might want to add in that Datsyuk is about 1 trillion times the defensive player that Hudler is.

Saying he's a super-Hudler is an understatement. The guy is a Selke winner and finalist for MVP. Hudler has skills but isn't worth mentioning in the same breath as Datsyuk. It's an insult to Datsyuk.

Hudler is very underrated defensively. No, he probably won't ever win a Selke. But he's a good defensive player. On most teams, he'd be one of their better defensive forwards. Hudler gets s*** on for his defense by Wings fans because the Wings are stocked full of solid defensive forwards. Hudler is not a superstar defensively, but he is notably better than average in his own end. The problem is when you have a roster with guys like Dats, Zetts, Hossa, Franzen, Cleary, Filppula, Draper, Samuelsson...that's a lot of guys who are solid defensively.

Hudler is a decent two-way player. He has incredible offensive talent and is better than average defensively. All he needs is an actual opportunity to use his talent. If he is put on the first or second line regularly this coming season, I wouldn't be stunned to see him clear 70 points.

The only thing holding him back is his size and skating ability, which he is improving.

Not too sure how much his size will improve. :hehe:

To improve his foot speed Hudler needs that special balm, or flaxseed oil, or whatever Barry Bonds used...Yeah that'll work :hehe:

HAHA! That might also help improve his size. :rolleyes:

Not too sure how much his size will improve. :hehe:

Not sure how you could be so stupid. The poster you quoted obviously ment (and wrote) that Hud's skating ability is improving, not his size.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Not sure how you could be so stupid. The poster you quoted obviously ment (and wrote) that Hud's skating ability is improving, not his size.

I really really hope you are being subtly sarcastic....