• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Snazzy

Barker signs a 3-year deal with Hawks

Rate this topic

I'm sorry, but reading some of these posts just make me think that there is some animosity and some of you are bitter.

The fact that Dale has signed Barker has put the biggest smile on my face. True, it is quite a raise, but as I have posted on here before, we can't rely on just 2 defensemen, and put our trust into someone who is overpaid, and though Hjalmarsson played great, I'd like to see how he'll play this season.

562,000 isn't really that much. I have no regrets. However, if Tallon is right about keeping the core together, I will be at the Hawks Convention in 2 weeks, and will be sure to ask him the tough questions how to keep the core together. I have faith.

I'm sorry, but reading some of these posts just make me think that there is some animosity and some of you are bitter.

The fact that Dale has signed Barker has put the biggest smile on my face. True, it is quite a raise, but as I have posted on here before, we can't rely on just 2 defensemen, and put our trust into someone who is overpaid, and though Hjalmarsson played great, I'd like to see how he'll play this season.

562,000 isn't really that much. I have no regrets. However, if Tallon is right about keeping the core together, I will be at the Hawks Convention in 2 weeks, and will be sure to ask him the tough questions how to keep the core together. I have faith.

You may go do that. I am going to go curse the hockey gods for the management team in place in Chicago.

Hockey Gods? Curse?

The curse in Chicago- was the Mike Smith days.

The blessing in Chicago- was, is, and will be, the Dale Tallon days.

Haha, it must be nice living in Dream Land. You guys are already over the cap and have yet to sign Versteeg. You are going to have to shed some payroll before the season starts. Then next year you are going to be in Cap hell. If you think you are going to have Hossa, Kane, Keith, and Toews in 2010-11 you're crazy. You would have to unload Huet AND Campbell and I can't see any team taking on those huge over paid contracts. You guys better win the cup this year because next summer you are going to be losing players and looking much like the Sharks are right now.

The bigger question is how does a team with Scotty Freakin' Bowman in the front office put themselves in this position.

You guys finally draft well, develop a nice, young, talented core, and now you aren't going to be able to keep them all.

Edited by Raptor1116

Haha, it must be nice living in Dream Land. You guys are already over the cap and have yet to sign Versteeg. You are going to have to shed some payroll before the season starts. Then next year you are going to be in Cap hell. If you think you are going to have Hossa, Kane, Keith, and Toews in 2010-11 you're crazy. You would have to unload Huet AND Campbell and I can't see any team taking on those huge over paid contracts. You guys better win the cup this year because next summer you are going to be losing players and looking much like the Sharks are right now.

The bigger question is how does a team with Scotty Freakin' Bowman in the front office put themselves in this position.

You guys finally draft well, develop a nice, young, talented core, and now you aren't going to be able to keep them all.

Think again.

We WILL be able to keep them. You just watch. Dale will pull it out.

Think again.

I'd like for you to try to explain HOW he is going to kepp ALL of them.

If Ken Holland couldn't make it work Tallon won't be able to.

I mean it's fine by me. It'll be fun to watch Chicago implode next summer. I just think it's a shame to have the Hawks finally going in the right direction and the screw it all up in one off season.

I'd like for you to try to explain HOW he is going to kepp ALL of them.

yeah thats my question too. I'm not trying to start a fight I am REALLY asking the Hawks fans here how he pulls this off. You ain't trading Brian Campbell, no one will want him at 7mil and what 7 years to go? Sure can't buy him out cause the caphit would be huge so you might as well keep him. You can't trade Huet now because he's your only NHL goalie at the moment. Barker just got a huge raise and Versteeg hasn't signed yet. The cap will go down next year, some people say by a lot. If Barker is getting just over $3mil Keith will be getting huge money next summer like around 6mil I would think and Kane and Toews around the same. So that would be about 14 or 15 players signed for well over $50mil. THEN the next summer Seabrook will need a raise. Good luck.

Edited by StevieY9802

I am so happy that our GM and Owners are competent and wise. The Blackhawks are showing their inexperience at being a good team and keeping that team together for the long haul. Giving this kind of money to a young guy like Barker, while good, is a perfect example of how the cap is going to be completely screwed down the line. Could you see us giving Ericsson, had he been a RFA this season, 3+ million a season right off the bat? HELL NO! And Ericsson would have stayed for much less too. It's not exactly the same, but look at Leino... 775,000 for 2 years. Sure he only played 13 regular season game, but the potential is there and he had 9 points in 13 - that was no fluke.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Hawks dig themselves out of the hole that they have continued to dig deeper and deeper this off-season. They will have to trade more than Sopel if they plan on keeping Versteeg.

Thanks Talon, thanks for continuing the trend of screwing up the cap system for the NHL. Bloated salaries in a s*** economic time = ignorance.

cam barker had 40 points in 68 games this year. he is going to be a stud and at just over $3m per year it is a bargain.

so you cannot compare him to ericsson yet. you are better off comparing him to kronwall who was awarded a contract worth $3m per year and (correct me if i am wrong) at the time he had not put up those sort of numbers and had had quite a few injuries.

this is a great deal for the hawks IMO.

Think again.

This doesn't explain HOW he is going to sign them all. How do you think he's going to do it when the cap is supposed to go DOWN next year?

1 Brian Campbell D $7,142,875

2 Cristobal Huet G $5,625,000

3 Hossa R $5,200,000

4 SHARP, PATRICK R $3,900,000

5 SEABROOK, BRENT D $3,500,000

6 BOLLAND, DAVE C $3,375,000

7 Barker $3,083,000

8 Buff R $3,000,000

9 Sopel $2,333,000

10 Kopecky R $1,200,000

11 TOEWS, JONATHAN C $5,000,000

12 KANE, PATRICK R $5,000,000

13 KEITH, DUNCAN D $5,000,000

Total $53,358,875

09-10 Cap $56,800,000

10-11 Cap $55,000,000

Explain how he's going to get 9 players to fill out the rosters for under 2 million total. The 10-11 cap is obviously hypothetical and is based on an article that I read that said the cap would go down about 2 million next year.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=574756

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Hawks just waive Campbell and put him in the AHL and his cap hit goes away? Of course, they have to be willing to pay someone $7 million a year to play in the AHL, but I think the rules for guys that signed under the age of 35 allow that. I think that's what they did with Khabibulin early this past season.

This doesn't explain HOW he is going to sign them all. How do you think he's going to do it when the cap is supposed to go DOWN next year?

1 Brian Campbell D $7,142,875

2 Cristobal Huet G $5,625,000

3 Hossa R $5,200,000

4 SHARP, PATRICK R $3,900,000

5 SEABROOK, BRENT D $3,500,000

6 BOLLAND, DAVE C $3,375,000

7 Barker $3,083,000

8 Buff R $3,000,000

9 Sopel $2,333,000

10 Kopecky R $1,200,000

11 TOEWS, JONATHAN C $5,000,000

12 KANE, PATRICK R $5,000,000

13 KEITH, DUNCAN D $5,000,000

Total $53,358,875

09-10 Cap $56,800,000

10-11 Cap $55,000,000

Explain how he's going to get 9 players to fill out the rosters for under 2 million total. The 10-11 cap is obviously hypothetical and is based on an article that I read that said the cap would go down about 2 million next year.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=574756

Brouwer will be making $1mil also. I didn't see him on your list. And you may very well be under-estimating the new salaries of Kane, Keith and Toews. Granted if so only by a little bit. I also read an article, can't find it right now, that the cap could drop even more than $2mil. So again Hawks fans still waiting on how you think he will get it done. Not a "he just will" respsonse.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Hawks just waive Campbell and put him in the AHL and his cap hit goes away? Of course, they have to be willing to pay someone $7 million a year to play in the AHL, but I think the rules for guys that signed under the age of 35 allow that. I think that's what they did with Khabibulin early this past season.

Assuming Campbell does not have a NMC this is exactly what will have to be done -- hoping he will be picked up on waivers, and then on re-entry waivers at 2/3 the hit.

Assuming Campbell does not have a NMC this is exactly what will have to be done -- hoping he will be picked up on waivers, and then on re-entry waivers at 2/3 the hit.

I did forget about the possibility of a No Movement Clause and I have no idea if he has one or not. I think the 2/3 of the hit is in regards to buyouts... if he is claimed on re-entry waivers, the Hawks and the claiming team each take 1/2 of the cap hit, but I think the claiming team is responsible for paying all the salary (ie: they pay $7 mill a year and it counts as $3.5 capwise, while Chicago pays zero but has a $3.5 mil cap penalty). Again, cap experts please correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding.

Let's assume Chicago waives Campbell... which is a better situation for them:

1. Pay him over $7 million a year for another 5ish years to play in the AHL, but have 0 cap hit responsibility.

2. Hope someone gets him on re-entry, which means the Hawks pay him no money, but they lose $3.5 million in cap space for the next 5ish years during the prime of most of their team.

If I was a Hawks fan, I'd start a donation drive to pay Campbell's AHL salary and have the extra cap space.

I did forget about the possibility of a No Movement Clause and I have no idea if he has one or not. I think the 2/3 of the hit is in regards to buyouts... if he is claimed on re-entry waivers, the Hawks and the claiming team each take 1/2 of the cap hit, but I think the claiming team is responsible for paying all the salary (ie: they pay $7 mill a year and it counts as $3.5 capwise, while Chicago pays zero but has a $3.5 mil cap penalty). Again, cap experts please correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding.

according to the website I found for re-entry waivers both the Hawks and the claiming team both take half the cap hit and half the salary.

chicago is now over the cap by 562K. I love it. cya later versteeg. I hope signing hossa was worth losing the rookie of the year and 2 of kane, toews or keith. lol suck it hawks fans!

wow lmao...The Hawks are going to sign Kane, Toews, and Keith before Jan 2010....lmao Wings fans are so jealous its not even funny. THe hawks will dump sopel or Campbell..you guys are so stupid there is plenty of room for these guys. The wings can sign Zetter, Dats, Hossa, Franzen, and Lidstrom, but the hawks cant sign their big three to big deals? LMAO Just wait and see homos

wow lmao...The Hawks are going to sign Kane, Toews, and Keith before Jan 2010....lmao Wings fans are so jealous its not even funny. THe hawks will dump sopel or Campbell..you guys are so stupid there is plenty of room for these guys. The wings can sign Zetter, Dats, Hossa, Franzen, and Lidstrom, but the hawks cant sign their big three to big deals? LMAO Just wait and see homos

It's gonna be tough, and fortunately for us, not a situation Holland has ever put the Wings in.

Didn't the Hawks try all last year to get rid of Khabibulin and his $7m contract? And that was with only one year left on his contract - Campbell has 5 more! They'll have less luck with Campbell, who is their #3, making almost as much as Nicklas Lidstrom.

Chicago is already up against the cap with 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies.

Next year Kane, Toews and Keith will all be RFAs, due for as much as $12m in raises --

Kiss Byfuglien and Sharp away no matter what. Sopel will be gone (probably a blessing), and then you need to pray Campbell can be dealt somehow... plus losing another one or two guys in order to sign all near league-minimum players (like 4-5 of them!).

sure...once they relocate the team to fantasyland!

Yes Wings fans are so jealous of the 0 Stanley Cups in 47 years. I would totally want to be the Hawks this year and give up 4 Cups, 6 Finals and 8 WCF's to be a Hawks fan THIS year. You are so right.

Second how do they get rid of those 2 players? You can't just dump players. Sopel is possible he'll only have one more year on his contract after this season, even though he is overpaid. Who is gonna want Campbell and his 7 more years and almost $50mil.

Edited by StevieY9802

Gotta tell ya, for as much as I hear Wings fans look through winged-wheel glases, these Hawks fans are incredible. In response to the moron who said the big 3 will be signed by Jan 2010. . . how? If I'm not mistaken, there are rules in place as to when and how many players you can negotiate depending on their status. That was the case with Zetterberg, and once Franzen signed, Hossa was off-limits until after the playoffs. In addition, are their rules in place limiting how much you can go over the cap and when? I believe it was no more than 10% over the cap, but you need to be at or below the cap by the first game. . . I could be wrong on the percentage.

Regardless, the Hawks HAD a bright future and now their god of a GM signs Hossa (include Kopecky) for 6.4M/yr for the next 2 (don't tell me the Hawks like Kopecky, this was a package deal). They are on the hook for Campbell for $7M+ because he is oh so worth it. Huet eats up $5M+ and has never won anything. The core of Chi is gone after this year. That is a fact.

As a Wings fan, I will laugh next year at the Hawks as I am now laughing at the Sharks. Holland saw this year coming and is prepared. Now he knows he has $10M+ for next year and will go shopping. Holland is a GM who can see beyond the current year. I thought Tallon was a visionary, but he looks like any other GM now, gotta win now. . . funny, it still won't happen.

Go Wings!

according to the website I found for re-entry waivers both the Hawks and the claiming team both take half the cap hit and half the salary.

Excellent, and thank you for correcting me! That makes the decision still quite interesting.