• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
servo

Holmstrom speculates that this is his last season

Rate this topic

Agreed. They're good, but not retirement good. The only Wings that I think are retirement worthy from my era of watching hockey (1995 and on) are Yzerman and Lidstrom, period. No Fedorov, no Datsyuk, no Draper, no McCarty, no Zetterberg, and no Osgood (although Ozzie would probably be my third pick if I HAD to pick someone).

I wasn't buying into the Ozzie HOF debate until this year's playoffs. There's no doubt that if he had won his 4th cup and 3rd as a starter and the Conn Smyth that was all within his grasp, he would be headed to the HOF. After I thought about it, it was stolen from him. If not for all the fortunate breaks that the Pens had got, the Wings would have hoisted the Cup, Ozzie would have gotten the Conn Smyth and IMO would have been a lock on the HOF.

A few bad breaks though should be the deciding factor, so I think Ozzie gets his 4th ring in 2009-2010 and that cements the HOF. That said, if Ozzie is in the HOF, there is no way in hell that his jersey doesn't hang from the rafters.

sorry, I digress...

I wasn't buying into the Ozzie HOF debate until this year's playoffs. There's no doubt that if he had won his 4th cup and 3rd as a starter and the Conn Smyth that was all within his grasp, he would be headed to the HOF. After I thought about it, it was stolen from him. If not for all the fortunate breaks that the Pens had got, the Wings would have hoisted the Cup, Ozzie would have gotten the Conn Smyth and IMO would have been a lock on the HOF.

A few bad breaks though should be the deciding factor, so I think Ozzie gets his 4th ring in 2009-2010 and that cements the HOF. That said, if Ozzie is in the HOF, there is no way in hell that his jersey doesn't hang from the rafters.

sorry, I digress...

No actually you're making some sense to me here. I really think he needs 1-2 more trophies of some decent level of respectability and he's in. Maybe another all-star appearance or two wouldn't hurt. And the thing is, I was watching NHL networks 'classic series' last night and they were featuring the '96 western conf. finals- he's a MUCH better goalie now than he was then. And a much better goalie than the commercials (AGAIN this year..) for the Pens victory DVD show him as being. He's never been horribly injured that I remember, and he's not THAT old for a goalie in today's day and age.

And to put this thread back on the rails-

I'm not surprised that Homer thinks this could be his last year. Miracles happen but this guy has been literally beaten mercilessly for years. Tomas Holmstrom is a diamond in the rough for the ages no matter what he does at this upcoming season's end.

After I thought about it, it was stolen from him. If not for all the fortunate breaks that the Pens had got, the Wings would have hoisted the Cup, Ozzie would have gotten the Conn Smyth and IMO would have been a lock on the HOF.

I've been wondering for the past few weeks as to where the Pens rank in terms of luckiest champions.

Obviously they played hard and earned that cup as much as they could but there's no doubt they were on the upper end in terms of luck.

I've been wondering for the past few weeks as to where the Pens rank in terms of luckiest champions.

Obviously they played hard and earned that cup as much as they could but there's no doubt they were on the upper end in terms of luck.

And disgruntled Penguins fans making excuses of why the Wings won/Penguins lost the year before can easily say the same thing about the Red Wings two years ago.

Every team that wins the Stanley Cup, or any championship for that matter, needs to be lucky or have a little bit of luck by their side with various factors. Nothing wrong with that whatsooever...

And disgruntled Penguins fans making excuses of why the Wings won/Penguins lost the year before can easily say the same thing about the Red Wings two years ago.

Every team that wins the Stanley Cup, or any championship for that matter, needs to be lucky or have a little bit of luck by their side with various factors. Nothing wrong with that whatsooever...

Of course every champion is lucky. I'm just wondering how much luckier they were compared to past champions, not just the year before.