• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Cheli wants to play until he is 50

Rate this topic

xm was reporting this on my drive home today on one of their updates every 15 minutes.

They were reporting on a conversation or interview with Roenick and Chelios about how long they were going to continue on playing. I missed the Roenick answer, but Cheli said he was wanting to play until he was 50. Or until he has a chance to play with his son Dean in the nhl.

And when asked, where he wanted to play, he said he wanted to play for Glen Sather and the New York Rangers.

Typically I wouldn't post something like this withoud a valid link, but the 'nhl home ice channel' on xm has always been real reliable with their info.

Yeah I thought Cheli wanted to break Gordie's record?

He has been quoted as saying, that Gordies record wasn't the career goal of his. But there has always been that rumor or speculation of him holding out for his son to break through to the big leagues.

He can barely skate now... he may be in amazing shape, but his body is still that of a nearly 50 year old man. In today's game with salary caps and increased emphesis placed on prospect retention and development, does he honestly think he's got another few seasons in him?

Define "play". He played a role on this team for the last three years and was the same player for all three, hes been terrible since the lockout but he still plays a role. If he takes the league minimum, a lot of teams will pick him up.

People acting like Chelios couldn't hack it as a 7th man, 40 games a season are delusional. And this is coming from someone who dislikes Chelios a lot.

Define "play". He played a role on this team for the last three years and was the same player for all three, hes been terrible since the lockout but he still plays a role. If he takes the league minimum, a lot of teams will pick him up.

People acting like Chelios couldn't hack it as a 7th man, 40 games a season are delusional. And this is coming from someone who dislikes Chelios a lot.

Sure, he can hack that fine. But should we assume he won't get worse and more out of use as time goes on? What will he play like next year?

Sometimes I dont understand players like him wanting to hang around. He was good in his day, won the Norris, won the Cup. He should have retired with Drake last year and called it a career.

Instead of looking for a spot somewhere in the nhl, he should be working on that menu at his bars, and making the food a little more edible! :lol:

Sure, he can hack that fine. But should we assume he won't get worse and more out of use as time goes on? What will he play like next year?

This isn't NHL09, players don't get worse just because they aged 365 days. Players get worse because of injury and letting their conditioning go, either from being comfortable with their bank roll or status on the team.

Lidstrom could play to 50, he plays a game that allows him to do so. Datsyuk could probably pull it off to. If Chelios keeps up his conditioning and skating the only thing holding him back is injury.

Generally the players who fade off in their late 30s let their conditioning slip and instead of fighting for a lesser role on a team, they retire instead.

This isn't NHL09, players don't get worse just because they aged 365 days. Players get worse because of injury and letting their conditioning go, either from being comfortable with their bank roll or status on the team.

Lidstrom could play to 50, he plays a game that allows him to do so. Datsyuk could probably pull it off to. If Chelios keeps up his conditioning and skating the only thing holding him back is injury.

Generally the players who fade off in their late 30s let their conditioning slip and instead of fighting for a lesser role on a team, they retire instead.

When that 365 days brings you close to the half century mark you'll have to forgive me for doubting your ability to run with the kids.

You do realize that a 50 year old man is fighting the constant deterioration of his body, right? Every joint. Every ligament. At 50 years old you're fighting more than to simply maintain conditioning.

It's actually laughable that you'd assume I'm basing this on "NHL09" and not science. Science says that Chelios can't stop the deterioration of his body, he can only fight to slow it down and get past it. He's already in impeccable shape, but he can't make his knees, back and hips not age another year. And guess what- when you're almost 50 years old and you've been a professional athlete nearly your entire life- that s*** does start to become debilitating instead of just nagging.

Did you watch Chelios play last season? I'll tell you this much- he wasn't skating in molasses because his conditioning isn't up to spec- any Red Wing will tell you he just might be in the best shape out of all of them. He skates like that because his body is betraying him- he's aging.

Major lol. One huge body check from a big bruiser is going to shatter that again body of his. I dont care how much training you do, you cant keep the durability of youth. Hes a bloody old man.

When that 365 days brings you close to the half century mark you'll have to forgive me for doubting your ability to run with the kids.

You do realize that a 50 year old man is fighting the constant deterioration of his body, right? Every joint. Every ligament. At 50 years old you're fighting more than to simply maintain conditioning.

It's actually laughable that you'd assume I'm basing this on "NHL09" and not science. Science says that Chelios can't stop the deterioration of his body, he can only fight to slow it down and get past it. He's already in impeccable shape, but he can't make his knees, back and hips not age another year. And guess what- when you're almost 50 years old and you've been a professional athlete nearly your entire life- that s*** does start to become debilitating instead of just nagging.

Did you watch Chelios play last season? I'll tell you this much- he wasn't skating in molasses because his conditioning isn't up to spec- any Red Wing will tell you he just might be in the best shape out of all of them. He skates like that because his body is betraying him- he's aging.

Chelios has been the same player since 2006, it just took the fan base this long to realize it. He was exposed in the 2008 cup run against Dallas and was in the dog house all last season.

who cares if he keeps playing. As long as he isn't eating up a spot on the Wings roster.

Who cares? Good luck, Cheli. Do it with a West team, please.

The original poster cared enough to make it a topic so.....

If he wants to play until he's 50, more power to him, and if that's what he wants I hope he accomplishes it.

This is nonsense. I can't believe this guy doesn't know when to quit already. If Roenick was really his good friend he would be telling him the hard truth that only a friend can. It's time. IMO the wings gave him 2 contracts he had no business getting. You had a great career, now have fun golfing. You think he'd want to be remembered as a first pairing norris trophy defensemen and not some 8th D scrub.

Edited by Pucks

Guest micah

I don't like Chris Chelios. Never have. I don't deny his tallent, and most of me thinks he's the best Defenceman I've ever seen play. Yes, better than Lidstrom. Not at his peak for as long as Lidstrom, but when Cheli was at his peak, I think he was better. The only thing holding me back from saying with certainty that Cheli was better than Lids ever was is Cheli's penchant for 2 minute minors, sometimes at inoportune times. Otherwise, he could scor e like Lids, he could position himself like Lids, and he could hit without putting himself out of position like Lids can't. There's a part of me that says "Cheli - if you had retired 5 or even 10 years ago, people would be mentioning your name with Orr's."

That said, there's also a part of me that admires him for saying pretty much "screw my legacy, screw loyalty to any given team, screw money, screw everything and everybody, I just want to play hockey as long as I can and that's what I'm going to do." That's cool.

I don't like Chris Chelios. Never have. I don't deny his tallent, and most of me thinks he's the best Defenceman I've ever seen play. Yes, better than Lidstrom. Not at his peak for as long as Lidstrom, but when Cheli was at his peak, I think he was better. The only thing holding me back from saying with certainty that Cheli was better than Lids ever was is Cheli's penchant for 2 minute minors, sometimes at inoportune times. Otherwise, he could scor e like Lids, he could position himself like Lids, and he could hit without putting himself out of position like Lids can't. There's a part of me that says "Cheli - if you had retired 5 or even 10 years ago, people would be mentioning your name with Orr's."

That said, there's also a part of me that admires him for saying pretty much "screw my legacy, screw loyalty to any given team, screw money, screw everything and everybody, I just want to play hockey as long as I can and that's what I'm going to do." That's cool.

And that, my friends, sums up Chris Chelios and why I like him. He's playing for the love of the game.

Id love to see Cheli playing still. Let him play. Someone will sign him, probably give him minimal minutes. But in that time he will have taught some younger upcoming defense men some valuable lessons/skills only a vet would have.

This is nonsense. I can't believe this guy doesn't know when to quit already. If Roenick was really his good friend he would be telling him the hard truth that only a friend can. It's time. IMO the wings gave him 2 contracts he had no business getting. You had a great career, now have fun golfing. You think he'd want to be remembered as a first pairing norris trophy defensemen and not some 8th D scrub.

:clap: Well said!!!! I agree totally.

f*** all of you haters. You could have said the same thing about Yzerman if you think about it.

Quite a disrespectful bunch here. I'm glad he's not on the roster, either, but I certainly don't think he's done, and I wish him the very best... in the East.