No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Griffins Select a Pair of Fan Submitted 3rd Jerseys

Rate this topic

Check 'er out:

SHARP DRESSED MEN

08/19/2009 12:15 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Grand Rapids artists Brian Oesch and Chad B. Stilson have been chosen as the winners of the Grand Rapids Griffins’ jersey design contest, conducted earlier this summer through Puckdrawn.com.

Oesch’s classic design and Stilson’s fierce interpretation of Griff, the team’s mascot, were selected from more than 50 entries that were received prior to the July 1 deadline.

“Overall, the entries we received were excellent, ranging from the absurd to some very high-quality work,†said Rich Meyers, the Griffins’ director of game operations. “It was neat to see submissions from people across the United States and Canada, and it was really tough to pick out a winner. A lot of people within various levels of our organization, from account executives to ownership, were involved in the decision process.â€

Oesch, owner of Brian Oesch Graphic Design and Illustration, has created logos for a number of local and national sports teams, including several Griffins community relations logos and the primary logo for the West Michigan Whitecaps. “Brian’s is obviously a throwback design with the string tie in front,†said Meyers. “It is somewhat modeled after the St. Louis Blues’ alternate jersey from last year, but he put a nice twist on it. It looks simple but sharp with the famous Griffins logo, a blend of old and new that captured what we were looking for.

“On the opposite end, Chad’s design was a completely unique and fresh approach to our logo, a little edgier, angrier Griffin on a jersey that maintains clean lines and adapts our traditional colors.

“We’re happy to give some additional exposure to these local artists and look forward to seeing our players wear their designs this season,†added Meyers.

Stilson’s jersey will be worn by the Griffins on Dec. 31 and Oesch’s on Jan. 30, with each set being auctioned to the public after its game. The New Year’s Eve auction will support Grand Valley State University’s club roller hockey team, while the January auction will benefit the Griffins Youth Foundation.

In addition to the public recognition, each artist will receive a customized jersey of his winning design.

Oesch250.jpg

Stilson250.jpg

The second one is a bit cartoony for my tastes, but it's all good. I like the first one, though.

Here are all the designs submitted: http://www.puckdrawn.com/photos/griffins_concepts/

This one is pretty cool, if only for the novelty factor: http://www.puckdrawn.com/photos/griffins_c...we_concept.html

I think this one is pretty slick too- I'd love to pick this one up with an Ericsson customization: http://www.puckdrawn.com/photos/griffins_c...idea_final.html

Edited by Drake_Marcus

After looking at all of the designs to choose from, I'd say the ones that they selected are the best. Some of them are laughably bad, and my personal favorite "bad" one is the logo in the top row, second from the right. That griffon just looks like it's posing for a beefcake calendar or something. *In sexy voice* "Oh hey. Just getting ready for the game. Wanna watch?"

After looking at all of the designs to choose from, I'd say the ones that they selected are the best. Some of them are laughably bad, and my personal favorite "bad" one is the logo in the top row, second from the right. That griffon just looks like it's posing for a beefcake calendar or something. *In sexy voice* "Oh hey. Just getting ready for the game. Wanna watch?"

:lol:

So true.

I quite like the second one.

Guest micah

I love the top one, very cool!

From the also-rans, the Ducks ripoff and the Team Sweden ripoff are absolute abortions. Seriously, I wouldn't want Ablekdaer called up if he spent even one day skating in one of those. Once you get the suck on you, there's no wiping it off.

I like the "winter classic" one with GR on the front

That would have been my second choice, after the #2 one listed in the OP.

Lots of great ideas, a lot of them are better than the third jerseys the NHL teams come up with.

Muscle car = fail.

and

Czech national team knockoff (far left, second row from bottom) = fail.

My favorite bad one was the Vipers jersey with the normal Griffins logo. It makes me laugh especially cuz the griffins used to play the vipers

My favorite one tho is the first one in the second row

Edited by Mitchmac33