• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zion

Will YOU play this season?

Rate this topic

I just started playing ice hockey last summer. Never skated before in my life. I will be playing all this season on the same beer league I was on last year. Was able to pick up on the skating and stick handling pretty quickly. I don't want to toot my own horn, but for only a year playing 1 session a week I think I have developed a lot. I love playing ice hockey.

Anyone play drop-in in AA? Im looking to start going on the weekends, but not sure of the level of play. It was fine playing drop-in where I currently due, mostly guys from work or friends of em so they dont mind if someones out there learning.

I dont know if I get in shape for hockey. I tend to work out 5-6 days a week. Rotating on muscle groups but trying to do at least 20-30 min of cardio a day. I have a pretty consistent diet around 2000 calories a day. Mostly turkey, chicken, and veggies. Get some pasta every now and then with the chicken. Typically take in a good amount of protein each day. Ive been switchin up what days I do things but my routine is pretty consistent. About every other month I change up the workouts to keep from getting used to the same exercises.

Chest (or chest/tris)

Bis (or tris/bis)

Shoulders (or shoulders/back)

Legs (or legs/back)

I like to do one day of solid cardio for at least an hour, then do a core workout. Abs get done every day. Most the cardio consists of running or riding a bike. Been working on an elliptical type machine with high resistance. Def helps the hip flexers.

During a game in January last Winter I ended up tearing cartilage in my shooting wrist. The stubborn ass I can be when it comes to seeing the doctor, I put it off until the season was over simply based on the fact that I thought it was just "sore." Anyway, the doctor confirmed the tear, gave me a series of 3 cortisone shots and I let it rest from April through July. Now, I should be good to go for the start of the season.

I'd say my wrist is about 95-98% healed and TBH, I don't see it ever getting any better than that without surgery....but I can live with that.

Sorry to hear.

As for me, I've been doing all lifting and ZERO cardio (to include any skating), so I should be looking for either a heart attack (at age 31) or a severe groin pull when I hit the ice. I'll be too damn excited to get a proper stretch after the feet his the ice!

I played Midget AA and had a small stint at AAA before a nail was accidentally driven through my left need in 89. Knee has never been the same since. I played the occasional game here and there but nothing organized. I have been used as a ringer. I always played a decent all round game, best attribute was skating, I could really go (til I blew my knee).

Started playing pick-up regularly last season. Since my son is almost on skates (hes only 2) and loves hockey, I decided to get back in hockey shape and maybe coach.

I just play for fun these days. Passing is my thing. I don't know why. I just have a taste for fooling people with a pass like, "Gotchya *****!" I'm sure many here can relate.

something like that

I was never any good. I laced up a few months ago in Hazel Park, it was at midnight and only me and two other people showed up so I just did a little bit of practice skating and shooting on an open net and realized a few things:

1) I suck worse now than before

2) I still have a sissy shot

3) I am horribly out of shape

You my friend made my day.hehe

Any of you do hockey-specific workouts? I'll quit lifting for the summer and focus on hockey, if it will help (other than skating, of course).

Try doing some plyometrics, it will really help with speed and power. I've been playing hockey my whole life and I never thought that in my late 20's i'd be a better skater than when I was a teenager, but I started doing plyo and noticed a huge difference. Also if you are going to incorporate cardio, definitely do interval training. Because hockey is more about short burts of energy than endurance, you will get the most benefit by doing intervals - I like to alternate 2 or 3 minutes of jogging with 1 min of sprinting.

Try doing some plyometrics, it will really help with speed and power. I've been playing hockey my whole life and I never thought that in my late 20's i'd be a better skater than when I was a teenager, but I started doing plyo and noticed a huge difference. Also if you are going to incorporate cardio, definitely do interval training. Because hockey is more about short burts of energy than endurance, you will get the most benefit by doing intervals - I like to alternate 2 or 3 minutes of jogging with 1 min of sprinting.

I agree on the PLyometrics. My school has Plyo classes everyother day after school and runs them through the summer and they definitely help. If you`re still playing competitvely I would say do some weight lifting to go along with plyo and some core workouts.

This summer instead of just doing cardio and core I started lifting and saw huge improvements. My leg press went up to 430 in 3 sets of 10 and that combined with plyo really saw my skating improve. I like to do ab workouts with a medicine ball and inbetween sets balance on the ball, this made a huge difference for me as well. If you play a physical style like me the upperbody workouts really help too for mucking in the corners but legs are by far the most important.

I played highschool and midget hockey until I was 18, we had a group of guys that played competitive/travel for about 10 years together. I decided to play rec and college intramurals instead of trying out for junior teams, which I still regret a little. Being one of the youngest in men's leagues is always fun though. I used to play with a few guys that are in the OHL now, so occasionaly I go out for a skate when they need a goalie. I spent a week this summer playing pickup with Rob Schremp, Brandon Prust, Sam Gagner, John Carlson, and a few other prospects. They lit me up, but it was still so much fun for me.

beeRyce... where did you play jr in the Windsor area?

Edited by 34Legace34

I hate running, but this is what I've heard. I will try this. Good thing is, I am off every Monday, and skate-and-shoot is from 1-3 pm for $5.50. Will definitely make the most of the cheap ice, especially in early Sept. when nobody shows up for a few weeks.

I agree on the PLyometrics. My school has Plyo classes everyother day after school and runs them through the summer and they definitely help. If you`re still playing competitvely I would say do some weight lifting to go along with plyo and some core workouts.

This summer instead of just doing cardio and core I started lifting and saw huge improvements. My leg press went up to 430 in 3 sets of 10 and that combined with plyo really saw my skating improve. I like to do ab workouts with a medicine ball and inbetween sets balance on the ball, this made a huge difference for me as well. If you play a physical style like me the upperbody workouts really help too for mucking in the corners but legs are by far the most important.

I am weakest at leg strength and my core. I will check YouTube.

I play year round both ice and roller, I played in college (Penn State) and will probably continue to play until I'm too old and slow. I've gotten a touch slower over the years but I feel like the increased hockey smarts more than makes up for it.

I cringe at the thought of what my weight would be without hockey and such, I'm 180 but I eat like I should be 300.