• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HELLDOGSbmx

Heatley traded to Sharks for Michalek, Cheecho, 2nd Round Pick

Rate this topic

I think Ottawa did very well with this trade whean you consider that Heatley requested the trade and that always hurts the value of the player. If Thornton and Heatley can't find chemistry this may be a real bad move for the Sharks. Big Time.

From Ottawa Citizen :

When his trade to the San Jose Sharks was announced Saturday afternoon, he didn’t offer a more detailed explanation, though he did say his trade demand was prompted by more than a reduction in ice time.

“There are a few things, I’m not going to get into specifics on those things, but there are personal things that I felt a change was the best thing for everybody involved,†he said.

The truth, or just a convenient excuse?

Not bad for the Sens. Michalek is an underrated player IMO and comes with no attitude problems.

esteef

Agreed, I rate Michalek very highly. :thumbup:

Cheecho...well he's going to be an interesting one. Can he find his best hockey again? If so the Sens got a good deal.

I'd do that deal. Heatley is guaranteed 40-50 goals. Flippula will get better offensively, but will never a 80 point guy, Cleary has a lot of heart, and a clutch performer, but still though. I get you're point, but it's a toss up deal in both cases.

How about if you also had to trade Kronwall and Ericsson for prospects in order to afford it?

Guest Shoreline

When the Sharks rid of guys like Sturm, Primeau, and Stuart, they rid of a good part of their backbone for a different style, in Thornton, and it kinda worked out. Cheechoo has been a shell of his former self, and there's a big question mark as to how Michalek will turn out. The Sharks got an absolute steal here, which shows how desperate the Sens were. I was almost sure if a trade like this was gonna go down, it would include Marleau. It will be very interesting to see how Joe and Dany pan out for them. Joe has an inkling to pass a lot, Dany has one to shoot a lot. On paper, it's a match made in heaven. I wanna see how it develops on the ice.

On paper, it's a match made in heaven. I wanna see how it develops on the ice.

you know by watching all the sharks games that they will be great together (bigjoe and heater)...but how is this going to work when the playoffs come. Sharks need a captain!...i was hoping to be rid of marleau, but im very happy cheech is gone....he will never get 20 goals in a season ever again and was never worth his $3 milli a season...joe and danny will be a blast to watch next year!

Guest Shoreline
you know by watching all the sharks games that they will be great together (bigjoe and heater)...but how is this going to work when the playoffs come. Sharks need a captain!...i was hoping to be rid of marleau, but im very happy cheech is gone....he will never get 20 goals in a season ever again and was never worth his $3 milli a season...joe and danny will be a blast to watch next year!

This isn't the first time Marleau has been openly under threat of losing the C, if not losing it and getting it back. The Sharks desperately need a leader, but it looks like they really have no other leader, so if they don't strip him of the C and he earns it back yet again, they may just concede to let him keep it. I like Blake, and he's had the C before, but I'm not sure if he's the effective leader he used to be.

there's a big question mark as to how Michalek will turn out.

A bit of a question mark indeed, but I think he'll be solid 30 goal player someday ;)

im very happy cheech is gone....he will never get 20 goals in a season ever again

I reckon he'll get 20 this year ;)

As a fan of the Senators I'm pleased with how they did given their situation.

A bit of a question mark indeed, but I think he'll be solid 30 goal player someday ;)

I reckon he'll get 20 this year ;)

from what i have seen from cheech (last 2 years)...pure s***...never been the same after the nhl figured him out and his hernia surgery..its a stretch he will get twenty goals. but Milan is a wonderful player to watch and he will be a great senator.

from what i have seen from cheech (last 2 years)...pure s***...never been the same after the nhl figured him out and his hernia surgery..its a stretch he will get twenty goals. but Milan is a wonderful player to watch and he will be a great senator.

Cheech is supposed to have a tonne of heart at least, I'm being optimistic and hoping the change of scenery will help him regain some of his form. :thumbup:

Guest Shoreline
you know by watching all the sharks games that they will be great together (bigjoe and heater)...but how is this going to work when the playoffs come.

100% truths. Hopefully Sharks fans get it this year.

Edited by Shoreline

Cheech is supposed to have a tonne of heart at least, I'm being optimistic and hoping the change of scenery will help him regain some of his form. :thumbup:

Maybe he does need a change of scenery to get back his game...part of the problem in san jose (especially in the playoffs) is the FANS are waaayy to easy on the sharks year after year...other cities are not like that... IM not like that! Just don't expect too much from him...after he had that 56 goal year i was sold on him being one of the best on the team. i just don't see much out of him (including his heart)...i really believe that the one hernia surgery took his touch away from him. i hope he gets his game back too...he was a fan favorite here in the bay...even after two garbage years.

No doubt the Sharks have a dangerous line. . . but I think this team is in trouble.

1. No quality backup for Nabokov meaning he either plays 60+ in the reg season or they sacrifice wins to "give him a rest"

2. Overpaid, IMO, for Blake

3. No depth

4. Probably the most expensive line in the NHL ($20M+)

Don't get me wrong, they will probably have a wondefful reg season, but this team's Achilles heal is and still remains the post-season. A team like Anaheim or Detroit can wear that top line down and then your left with a very tired, non-productive, expensive line hitting the golf course in late April

This situation mirrors Chicago's. . . they didn't need more offensive power. Chicago risked their future on a one year shot by signing Hossa and his ***** Kopecky. Same D and downgrade in goal. SJ has a great top line on paper, but it cost them cap space in the future and depth and development. Too many careers will now be rushed because Wilson has a hard-on about getting over the hump but I think he went looking int he wrong place. SJ needs a quality backup to Nabokov so he doesn't run out of gas. They had it and let it get away in Boucher. Blake at $4M is a real head-scratcher to me.

Sharks have about $37M tied up in 6 guys (Heatley, Marleau, Thornton, Boyle, Blake, Nabokov).

One injury to any of the above and the Sharks will have major issues.

Go Wings!

No doubt the Sharks have a dangerous line. . . but I think this team is in trouble.

1. No quality backup for Nabokov meaning he either plays 60+ in the reg season or they sacrifice wins to "give him a rest"

3. No depth

Don't get me wrong, they will probably have a wondefful reg season, but this team's Achilles heal is and still remains the post-season. A team like Anaheim or Detroit can wear that top line down and then your left with a very tired, non-productive, expensive line hitting the golf course in late April

This situation mirrors Chicago's. . . they didn't need more offensive power. Chicago risked their future on a one year shot by signing Hossa and his ***** Kopecky. Same D and downgrade in goal. SJ has a great top line on paper, but it cost them cap space in the future and depth and development. Too many careers will now be rushed because Wilson has a hard-on about getting over the hump but I think he went looking int he wrong place. SJ needs a quality backup to Nabokov so he doesn't run out of gas. They had it and let it get away in Boucher. Blake at $4M is a real head-scratcher to me.

Sharks have about $37M tied up in 6 guys (Heatley, Marleau, Thornton, Boyle, Blake, Nabokov).

Go Wings!

Nail+head=good post, couldnt have said it better myself, though once i get home from school I will try ;)

3. No depth

Go Wings!

This is the truth of it.

What I keep in mind too is that Heatley puts up insane numbers...in the Eastern Conference. The play in the East encourages more stand-out stars. The West seems more about the team game. So will Heatley still stand-out in the West? Not to mention playing teams like Calgary, Vancouver, Detroit, and Anaheim more frequently...

Teams like Detroit and Anaheim won't just wear the top line down, they will silence them. (Last season, Anaheim's top line silenced and broke up every top line San Jose tried to counter with. And when Ottawa went to the Finals a bit ago, Anaheim's shut-down line completely erased Heatley and Spezza -- which I still think is more formidible than Heatley and Thornton.)

Ottawa got some depth, San Jose got some scoring -- but I don't think it is an obvious slam-dunk by San Jose at all. The Pacific stands to have more fight this year, so the Sharks running away with the Presidents is less likely too.

3. No depth

Go Wings!

Pretty ironic you call out the Sharks for letting their Veteran backup goalie walk when the Wings did the same thing with Conklin.

Don't exactly know how re-signing Blake is a head scratcher. He was plus 15 during the regular season and one of our best defencemen along with Boyle last season. He had a solid offensive season from the blueline and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes in his own end. Besides it's only a one year deal which is reasonable.

Pretty ironic you call out the Sharks for letting their Veteran backup goalie walk when the Wings did the same thing with Conklin.

Don't exactly know how re-signing Blake is a head scratcher. He was plus 15 during the regular season and one of our best defencemen along with Boyle last season. He had a solid offensive season from the blueline and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes in his own end. Besides it's only a one year deal which is reasonable.

I think the deal with Blake was pretty fair. At the same time, his game has fallen off significantly from how he played earlier in his career. He's just showing his years, so it probably isn't the greatest thing for San Jose's blueline if he's the number-two guy.

Hes pointing out the fact that one of the biggest flaws that San Jose has is that their reliance on Nabby by the time the playoffs rolls around causes him to be over worked and not as sharp as other goalies who are better rested.

Hes pointing out the fact that one of the biggest flaws that San Jose has is that their reliance on Nabby by the time the playoffs rolls around causes him to be over worked and not as sharp as other goalies who are better rested.

Thanks for the backup. . . all the points I stated lead to a Sharks team focused on the wrong thing.

If people want to call me out on why I question giving an aging defender $4M, fine. I think the Sharks could have better spent the money but what do I care. I'm counting on another early playoff exit from the Sharks.

Yes, the Wings let Conklin go because they could not afford what he would command on the open market. I feel the situation in SJ is different than in Detroit. The Sharks dumped in Round 1 (again), Wilson gets on his soapbox and screams he's going to clean house, and then does very little. IMO, Thornton or Marleau should have been dealt. They are perennial choke artists in April/May (hell, neither knows anything about playing hockey in June). If SJ had dumped one or the other, Boucher maybe gets signed, Nabokov doesn't have to play as much and is ready for the playoffs. Instead, Sharks get to rely on Greiss (?) to backup Nabby. . . in addition, Sharks part company with quality players (Ehrhoff, Michalek, Cheechoo (not so much)) and bring in headcase Heatley.

Now think to the future, Sharks fans. . . who do you get to sign in the near future? If Sharks dump again early in the playoffs (almost as much a guarantee as the sun rising in the East), Thornton, Marleau, etc won't command much in trade value. Sharks are stuck with this high payroll. If they don't produce, what are their options? I do understand that Marleau is UFA after this year, but it doesn't get easier for the Sharks. . . Pavelski and Setoguichi are RFA and will defintely deserve a raise = money saved by losing Marleau goes to Pavelski and Setoguichi. Money frees up from Blake not coming back next year. But, the Sharks need to re-sign Nabokov who is UFA after 2010. Aaah the feeling of CAP HELL in SJ.