• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MadMan Mark

Hawks Lose Victoria Cup

Rate this topic

I think Chicago is going to be a huge disappointment this year. The NHL is acting like they were completely dominating the league last year. Yeah they got pretty far in the playoffs, but the Wings finished them in 5 games. That's a pretty short series. And they haven't really improved much in the offseason. They gained a lot with the signing of some players, but let's not forget that they lost Havlat and Khabibulin. They gained Kopecky. Hossa is out for the first part of the season with an injury. How do they expect to go from that to Stanley Cup champions?

Devils advocate here....

They DID win 9-2 the day before.... just saying

Most of the team played the night before, and Chicago didn't go into it with 23 (I think it was) players that can be on the bench under international rules, but went with the 20 players normal for the NHL. Either way, a shortened bench in comparison with the opposing clubs.

That being said, the Lions outplayed them. Then again, the Lions were named the overall champs, and one could see why. It was a fun game, a lot more physical than I would have thought.

I can see the Victoria Cup being a fun beginning of season thing for hockey fans. Too bad we can't have the Stanley Cup winners against the champion team from there though -- that'd be fun.

I think Chicago is going to be a huge disappointment this year. The NHL is acting like they were completely dominating the league last year. Yeah they got pretty far in the playoffs, but the Wings finished them in 5 games. That's a pretty short series. And they haven't really improved much in the offseason. They gained a lot with the signing of some players, but let's not forget that they lost Havlat and Khabibulin. They gained Kopecky. Hossa is out for the first part of the season with an injury. How do they expect to go from that to Stanley Cup champions?

Finished them in 5 games without Lidstrom and Datsyuk. I think Draper was also out. The media can do all they want about coronating this team as the new powerhouse in the West, but they haven't proven to me they can do anything but get slapped like a ***** by big brother Detroit.

Finished them in 5 games without Lidstrom and Datsyuk. I think Draper was also out. The media can do all they want about coronating this team as the new powerhouse in the West, but they haven't proven to me they can do anything but get slapped like a ***** by big brother Detroit.

To be fair 3 of those 5 went to OT where anybody could've won. There was only one game where we won handily.

I'm seriously so glad Kopecky is gone. Watching Chicago have to deal with him being useless as s*** is going to be so enjoyable.

I'm with you on this... It still blows my mind that any team would pay that guy to waste a spot on their team. The s***Hawks paid him over a million too didn't they... thats hilarious?!

your argument and theory are interesting , but i m sorry they are a little bit off-topic in my eyes...

No doubt that the most part of the draft picks are NA players but what does it have to do with quality of a league? So, you re meaning that a bunch of 18 years old players all for the most part better than an adult professional league such as Finland, Sweden or Switzerland championship?

I thought that they were on topic, but I apologize if they were. And a player cannot play in the AHL if they have CHL rights, so the majority of the players are 20-24 years old. Many of the elite teams in the AHL simply don't have the room on their team for their top AHL prospects, who would other wise be 2nd to 3rd liners on other teams. I believe, and this is my opinion based on the facts I provided earlier, that the AHL is the second best hockey league in the world. The Red Wings, who manhandled the Swedish Champions, had a handful of players that were in the AHL last year and probably a couple more that will be in the AHL to start this year.

Sorry but i don t buy that..At this point, your argumentation does not prove that the AHL could be better than these leagues. I ll tell you facts now:

-The average budget of the swiss clubs are about 7-8 millions. A club like Zurich who has beaten Chicago has about 15-20 mil budget.

I know what you are trying to imply about budgets, but it doesn't have any baring on talent levels of the league. Chicago just plain flopped against a very determined Zurich team. Out of the six games played with NHL vs European teams, the European teams came away with two wins with one being against a dreadful Florida team who lost in OT.

-The best players of the AHL who are no more prospects and can't make it to the NHL are heading to Europe, reinforcing thus the level of the european leagues and weakenng so the level of the AHL

This is not a fact, the fact is actually the players that couldn't make the NHL team that went back to their home league was because of the differences in NA lifestyle and hockey.

-Even borderline 4th liner/AHL player will head to Europe, cuz they can make here more money than the NHL league minimum

Again, this isn't about talent as it is about money. So if the player isn't good enough for the 4th line of an NHL team and no AHL team will take them they play in Europe and that shows the superiority of European leagues? That's a fallacy I'm sorry.

-There is a lot more move into the roster of AHL's teams and i do think the strategy, the cohesion of a european team would be better than a AHL team cuz of this stability

There really is not that much movement in the AHL rosters as it is usually only two or three players that get called-up/sent-down only a couple times throughout the season. But I do agree that the cohesiveness of the European teams could make an impact. But then again there is also a lot of movement as well over there from the lower leagues to the higher leagues and the better players leaving their respective clubs to come over and play in the NHL and get aquainted with the NA style of hockey in the AHL first.

-The main european championships are adults league; now for a big part of it AHL is a young guns league

Fact...lol

There is no doubt about that the potential of the AHL players are far more better than the potential of the european leagues. But considering that as soon as this potential shows up, thhe player is moved up in the NHL, i do think the SEL and SM Liga are better championship in the quality of play than the AHL

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this part then because when I watch SEL and SM Liga and even the occasional KHL game, I find the product down in the AHL is superior than the product I see when i watch the European games, but that is just my opinion and not a fact necessarily :)

Thanks by any cases for this discussion Konnan. Interesting

PS: you were right about my example, totally a generalization, but still i find it illustrative

Anytime, and to be quite honest, I wasn't arguing that the AHL IS a superior league, I was just pointing out that it isn't laughable for one to think that it could be a superior league in my initial post. Have a great day...or night, depending where you are! Go Wings!

I'm with you on this... It still blows my mind that any team would pay that guy to waste a spot on their team. The s***Hawks paid him over a million too didn't they... thats hilarious?!

Kopecky> Leino

Kopecky> Helm

According to the Hawks :)

Kopecky> Leino

Kopecky> Helm

According to the Hawks :)

I think thats perfect and I'm really very happy they feel that way! Kopecky is one great reason we should thank Chicago... stealing him from us and leaving us with Helm and Leino... Thanks Chicago!