• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Brodeur Breaks Sawchucks Record!

Rate this topic

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

well im glad this topic got some discussion!

i think ive done a couple before just not as much replies so thank you!

if only marty did it two days ago on my birthday it wouldve been even more epic..but thats okay ..! congradts to him!

Marty is about the only person with the Devils that I do like (now that Shanny's gone again). We can talk about Sawchuk playing in todays league if you want, but how about Marty playing back then with the style he has now? Even with primitive equipment, I think he'd be great. Every time I watch films of old games from the 40's - 60's, I'm amazed to see how many goals were scored on what seem like unremarkable, routine wrist shots. I may be wrong, but I just think that if you put Brodeur in a time machine, put him in the standard equipment of the day, and let him play his butterfly type of game, that he would have had a ton of shutouts back then.

Let's not also forget that Brodeur plays with vastly smaller equipment than goalies today who are just as tall or shorter than he is. Case in point, this was hilarious when I saw it. Brodeur is 6'2, JS Giguere is 6'1.

brodeur-saed-devilsjpg-039dadc3e2fc5766_large.jpgJS_AFTER.jpg

That's just mind boggling. And I don't buy the whole "they may have longer legs, they need bigger pads" thing. Nobody needs bomb-proof equipment the size of Giguere and alot of other goaltenders are wearing today.

Let's not also forget that Brodeur plays with vastly smaller equipment than goalies today who are just as tall or shorter than he is. Case in point, this was hilarious when I saw it. Brodeur is 6'2, JS Giguere is 6'1.

That's just mind boggling. And I don't buy the whole "they may have longer legs, they need bigger pads" thing. Nobody needs bomb-proof equipment the size of Giguere and alot of other goaltenders are wearing today.

Of note: Osgood has always worn pads closer of similar size to Brodeur's.

I really doubt the pads would make much difference to Marty's game. He is a standup-butterfly goaltender and most regulation "butterfly" pads would not help his mobility or his positioning.

tx.martin.brodeur.jpg

martin-brodeur-injury.jpg

Big difference in style between Marty's and your run-of-the-mill goalie.

Edited by Doc Holliday

What? That Brodeur has had an awesome career but that Miller has outplayed Brodeur this season although not by a huge margin...Brodeur gains from the system that is in new jersey.

Oh, and i can't believe you're a fanboy of osgood... chriiiiiist. He's bad like reallllllyyy bad in the regular season.

Miller: .938 sv%, 1.89 GAA, 4 SO

Brodeur: .921 sv%, 2.10 GAA, 3 SO

So Ryan Miller has a slightly better save percentage and has one goal less every five games than Brodeur, that's it.

That's your HUGE margin ?

I tell you what a HUGE margin is:

Olympic gold medal 1 / 0

Calder Memorial Trophy 1 / 0

Stanley Cup 3 / 0

Vezina Trophy 4 / 0

William M. Jennings Trophy 4 / 0

Ryan Miller is a great goalie but aside from his great season start so far, he doesn't come near Martin Brodeur.

And yes, if it makes you sleep better at night, you can call me a Osgood fanboy, I don't care.

Besides, everything you say just proves that you are just a Stanley Cup 2008 bandwagoneer. Hop on when the team is winning, eh ?

That's the easy part, sir.

Believing in your team when s*** is not going your way is the other.

And that's not something you do not handle too well. Obviously.

But hey, whatever gets you through the day, right ?

Edited by interminded

^ mindfly specifically said "not by a huge margin" I think you misread it.... ;)

Yes, I think I did.

I'm still right though...

Ryan Miller is a great goalie but aside from his great season start so far, he doesn't come near Martin Brodeur.

Guest mindfly

Always bringing up historic stats and s***...I'm talking about today, NOW, the same with osgood and you know as well as i do that osgood has been brutal all of last season except in the playoffs and every game this season...he doesn't care what so ever about the regular season, great team guy..not... yet everyone keep writing down what they have done in the past... rediculous

Edited by mindfly

Per PuckMedia, here are somethings more important that Brodeur breaking that record (according to ESPN chronology of importanceâ„¢)

-Brett Favre’s arguing with coach Brad Childress

-Redskins head coach Jim Zorn’s job security

-Endless talk of the Monday Night Football game, which was a 45-12 Giant win

-Mike Holmgren taking the Cleveland Browns Presidency job

-Another celebration of Kentucky’s 2000th win, including a “behind the numbers†segment.

-The Colts pursuit of 16-0

-Shaq’s return to Phoenix

-More talk about Giants-Redskins, including an Osi Umenyiora interview

58 minutes into Sportscenter, there are the highlights of the game.

^^^^^^

This.

If you go back and Watch the Quality of hockey back then.....even the 72 summit Series, those guys arn't anywhere near as athletic as today's guys. You can take any Good player now, and if you time machine them, back to the 20's-70's, they'd go down as the greatest players ever. I know people don't want ot hear this, But Put Eric Lindros in a Game against Gordie Howe, and Lindros Dominates him. Bigger, Stronger, Faster, More skill. I personally believe if you put guys like Cleary or Helm in the 50's, with their lifetime of Training, Skill set and knowledge of the game compared to what it was back then, they'd Dominate. Dominate.

I think that's pretty much across the board in any sport. Today's athletes are head and shoulders above anybody from the past.....I'd like to get 40 times, verticals, How fst a player could skate around the ice, etc......

Think about what Pitchers would do to Babe Ruth today? Think about what Justin Verlander would do to a team back in the 20's......Training is different, Mechanics are different, lifestyles are different, upbringings are different....

Again, if you wanna compare goalies of Different eras....Clint Benedict.... 22 shutouts in 44 games. the Discussions begins and ends right there.

I think you mean Hainsworth.

Anyways, it's kind of pointless to compare today's athletes versus yesterday's as they are and were.

Of course Ovechkin would mop the ice with Gordie Howe if we teleported him back to 1955 -- but what's the challenge in that? Ovechkin was able to enjoy vastly superior nutrition, training, equipment and sports medicine, while Gordie Howe had to work a job in the off-season to make ends meet.

I think it is far more interesting to determine who would be better on equal footing, being brought up in the same era. Clone those two, pick any year to 'plant' them, and I have a feeling Gordie Howe comes out the more dominant hockey player 9 times out of 10. It's the training, mechanics, nutrition, etc. that makes today's athletes better, not superior genetics from dynamic human evolution over a span of 50 years.

Edited by egroen

I guess that proves the point that Brodeur is plain naturally talented to stop pucks, regardless of pad size. Not many goalies can say that. I'd love to see how goalies like Giguere, Legace, Luongo, and yes even Osgood would fare with Brodeur sized pads.

Osgood's pads have been the same size as Brodeur's relative to his body for most of their careers. Ozzie's new pads are slightly larger, but still much smaller than the mattresses some guys wear.

Guest Lidstromboli

i take that back, brodeur is definitely better

he would be a first line player on any other team