• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

We Should Have Gooned it Up These Last Two Games

Rate this topic

Well, this is a tough call.

I understand the cry for passion, pride, and emotion quite easily. And part of me is down with this.

But if the Wings gooned it up, wouldn't it look like they were an insecure, desperate team, on the verge of panic? That's what I've taken away from the years and years and years of other teams trying to do this to Detroit when they were clearly outmatched.

Maybe there's something to be said psychologically for laying low and ignoring the rivalry. You know? Like saying "Whatevs. You guys know we're banged up and icing a team full of plugs but guess what? We don't care, there is no rivalry, we've owned you for countless seasons and that won't change, once we're healthy."

Doesn't anyone think that an emotionally detached Wings team would get under the Hawks skin?

Are you maybe suggesting that we kill teams like Chicago with kindness?

Detroit won that game.

No, both teams have stated that it was a big factor in the Wings beating Colorado in the playoffs.

They could have just rolled over that night, and it may have changed the Wings dynasty.

I'm not saying that fighting a divisional rival automatically gives you the Stanley Cup, but it does counter the argument that a brawl tonight couldnt' have possibly affected the next game against them.

Gooning it up at the end of the game where the team is getting blown out doesn't send a message, it just makes the team look desperate and pathetic.

Our lineup right now is pathetic.

We didn't have anything to lose from trying to start s***. The Hawks know we're not desperate but are just injured.

No, both teams have stated that it was a big factor in the Wings beating Colorado in the playoffs.

They could have just rolled over that night, and it may have changed the Wings dynasty.

I'm not saying that fighting a divisional rival automatically gives you the Stanley Cup, but it does counter the argument that a brawl tonight couldnt' have possibly affected the next game against them.

Once again, the brawl happened during the 1st period and ended up winning that game on the scoreboard.

If Detroit loses that game they end up getting swept in the season series and probably don't win the cup that year.

Detroit won that game.

Are you for or against goonery? :P

But yeh, we just try to be too classy. They should at least dish out some goonery just for the fans to have something to shout about who paid all that money to watch them not score a single goal.

Trouble is, as it was 2-0 down Babcock wouldnt put his 4th line out and we werent 3-0 down until a minute to go, and you cant goon it up in the last 5 minutes with these bloody rules. We (us fight fans anyway) know what May is capable of doing when hes not happy goonery wise. We could have used that. Scrums and brawls (even small ones) are great team building, gives the crowd something to shout about, gives the team something to think about, gives the Red Wings players a little bit of pride.

Newbury has done it a few times for Grand Rapids this season. Shame hes not with us anymore :(

Edit: Clarity

Edited by uk_redwing

Once again, the brawl happened during the 1st period and ended up winning that game on the scoreboard.

If Detroit loses that game they end up getting swept in the season series and probably don't win the cup that year.

The brawl fired this team up to win that game and the playoff series. It doesn't matter what period it happened in.

Fights can definitely bring a team together and create more passion for the next time you play a rival.

The brawl fired this team up to win that game and the playoff series. It doesn't matter what period it happened in.

Fights can definitely bring a team together and create more passion for the next time you play a rival.

It does matter because that fight sparked the Wings FOR THAT GAME. The win sparked them for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

It does matter because that fight sparked the Wings FOR THAT GAME. The win sparked them for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

No, I think it spawned more bad blood between the teams, which does make players play harder against a team that they hate.

None of our players tonight played like they hate the Blackhawks, who are right now the best team in the division. We needed to send this division leader a message and failed to do so.

Those situations aren't even comparable. The Wings were playing a team where there were some actual animosity in the air, not just a team that happens to be in the same division, and fighting for a purpose (the way fighting in hockey should be done). oh yeah, and they actually won that game.

Let us not forget the "Fight Night at the Joe" was RETRIBUTION for what was done to Draper.

What exactly would have sparked the Wings to have "fight night at the Joe" tonight? Cause they were losing?

No, I think it spawned more bad blood between the teams, which does make players play harder against a team that they hate.

None of our players tonight played like they hate the Blackhawks, who are right now the best team in the division. We needed to send this division leader a message and failed to do so.

Sure. Why not?

Are you maybe suggesting that we kill teams like Chicago with kindness?

:lol: Of course not. But if the Wings look desperate I can only imagine a room full of Hawks laughing at them after the game and feeling good about themselves.

If I were a Blackhawk I honestly think I'd be more unsettled by a Wings team that was going through the motions compared to one that looked like it was trying to compensate for a painfully obvious weekness. I mean come on, they're missing half the line-up.

If I were a Blackhawk I honestly think I'd be more unsettled by a Wings team that was going through the motions compared to one that looked like it was trying to compensate for a painfully obvious weekness. I mean come on, they're missing half the line-up.

That's an odd notion. I don't know why they'd be "unsettled" that the Wings aren't bothering them, in scrums or on the scoreboard. If they were expecting to have to deal with a goon squad and instead faced indifference, I'd say that'd be more of a relief than anything else.

Guest micah

If you were a Blackhawk, I'd be happier if you had a broken nose and a win than if you just had a win. You gonna beat my decimated team? Fine....but it's gonna ******* hurt.

We could have made them earn it. We didn't make them earn it.

I didn't feel any of abs's hits were impactful, and he got nailed by Byfuglien, Bertuzzi had one nice bump on Campbell but he wasn't a big presence, neither was pavel despite him dropping seabrook.

I'll agree with you on that fact. Abby didn't have any huge hits, but it wasn't for lack of trying. Most of the hits for the Wings were in the first when the game was close. It was 2-0 until the last few minutes, so I wouldn't want us head-hunting too much being down a couple goals. With that said, when we went down 3-0 I would have liked to see someone show frustration in the form of big-hits/fights.

If you were a Blackhawk, I'd be happier if you had a broken nose and a win than if you just had a win. You gonna beat my decimated team? Fine....but it's gonna ******* hurt.

We could have made them earn it. We didn't make them earn it.

Yes, but making them "earn" it, only makes them a stronger team.

Guest micah
Yes, but making them "earn" it, only makes them a stronger team.

I disagree. Making them earn it makes them fear us. Win or lose, we will f*** them up. this time, next time, the time after, 5 years from now. We will always be out for blood. If you beat us we will hurt you. If we beat you we will hurt you. That's the way to play hockey. That isn't how we played tonight

Rolling over and lettting them rape us (again) like we did tonight, that makes them a stronger team. We are the defending conference champs. Injured or not, we should have put up more of a fight. Being so thouroughly beaten by our rivals that we can't even be bothered to send a message - that makes them a stronger team. Tonight the Red Wings are being lauged at. That isn't okay with me. If someone is lauging at us, I want them to be holding ice to their face while they're doing it.

I disagree. Making them earn it makes them fear us. Win or lose, we will f*** them up. this time, next time, the time after, 5 years from now. We will always be out for blood. If you beat us we will hurt you. If we beat you we will hurt you. That's the way to play hockey. That isn't how we played tonight

Rolling over and lettting them rape us (again) like we did tonight, that makes them a stronger team. We are the defending conference champs. Injured or not, we should have put up more of a fight. Being so thouroughly beaten by our rivals that we can't even be bothered to send a message - that makes them a stronger team. Tonight the Red Wings are being lauged at. That isn't okay with me. If someone is lauging at us, I want them to be holding ice to their face while they're doing it.

Aside from some loser Hawks fans and lap-dog sports writers I don't think anyone is laughing about Chicago beating Detroit given the Wings current roster. Not anyone professional anyways.

Am I crazy?

Aside from some loser Hawks fans and lap-dog sports writers I don't think anyone is laughing about Chicago beating Detroit given the Wings current roster. Not anyone professional anyways.

Am I crazy?

No. Detroit was expected to lose these two games. But according to Chicago fans, missing 8 of your regulars is absolutely no excuse for sub-par play. At least Patrick Sharp gets it.

Guest Crymson

The bad blood between the Wings and the Blackhawks does not even NEARLY (!!!!!!) approach that which existed between the Wings and the Avalanche back then.

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

!!!!

HORRIBLE comparison, HORRIBLE argument.

Well, this is a tough call.

I understand the cry for passion, pride, and emotion quite easily. And part of me is down with this.

But if the Wings gooned it up, wouldn't it look like they were an insecure, desperate team, on the verge of panic? That's what I've taken away from the years and years and years of other teams trying to do this to Detroit when they were clearly outmatched.

Maybe there's something to be said psychologically for laying low and ignoring the rivalry. You know? Like saying "Whatevs. You guys know we're banged up and icing a team full of plugs but guess what? We don't care, there is no rivalry, we've owned you for countless seasons and that won't change, once we're healthy."

Doesn't anyone think that an emotionally detached Wings team would get under the Hawks skin?

agreed, this would have been a sign of acceptance of the hawks superiority and therefore benefit the hawks and not the wings.

First the hawks beat the wings fair and in the last minutes of the game they are even getting the signal from the wings that they are better. and afterwards they can feel good about themselves having weathered three minutes of goon-action by the wings.

gooning it up is no solution for the wings, not against the hawks.