• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/2 GDT: Red Wings 4 at Coyotes 1

Rate this topic

Being 3 points out even after this win really is disheartening. I really hope we can start winning a serious amount of games, particularly because we've got a lot of must win games ahead of us. Let's hope Z and Clears get back soon to give a huge boost. I mean, It's great to have Filppula back and he looks awesome but he's still playing with 4th liners so once we get those two back we can have a respectable top 6.

So happy that Datsyuk has 2 goals in 2 games, I hope he keeps it up. Howard is freaking amazing.

We'll be fine. The fact that we're in the hunt with this many guys down is incredibly encouraging to me. We're only halfway through the season after all and we're only going to get better. But I still think Flip's presence is mostly inconsequential to our offensive output. He's a guy who helps on D, but he's not a consistent offensive threat no matter who he plays with.

I'll admit to being one of those "select few". And I stand by that statement. I don't know how you interpreted that as "Howard can't beat over .500 Teams." I never stated that. Not once.

After tonight's Win, half of Howards Wins have come from Teams which are currently positioned to make the Play Offs, if they started today.

That includes Wins against Montreal, and the New York Rangers, both of which I consider to be "sub-par" Teams. The other Wins came two against Phoenix, (two very, very good Wins, with excellent performances by Howard), two against Vancouver, and one against Colorado.

I wouldn't go fitting the kid for his Cup Ring just yet, if I were you.

Once again. I stand by my statements. Just as I stood by my statements regarding Legace. And Conklin. Even in the face of the hordes of "told you so!!!!" fans who declared both of them the next Wings saviour in goal, based on a few Regular Season Wins.

That's a stupid argument. Wins and Losses for a goaltender don't mean a lot. If the team in front of you doesn't score, you lose regardless of how you play.

Save % is really the only meaningful stat for a goaltender and right now Jimmy is 7th in the league if you only count goalies that have at least 20 games.

Consider this, Huet is 4th in GAA because he has a very good defense playing in front of him but he is 21st in save % because basically he sucks.

Forget about wins and losses, it's about how many pucks you stop regardless of what team you are playing.

We'll be fine. The fact that we're in the hunt with this many guys down is incredibly encouraging to me. We're only halfway through the season after all and we're only going to get better. But I still think Flip's presence is mostly inconsequential to our offensive output. He's a guy who helps on D, but he's not a consistent offensive threat no matter who he plays with.

Seriously? You don't think Flip is an offensive upgrade over Miller or May or whoever he is replacing? It sounds llike you have an illogical hate for Flip.

Do you just,....not watch the games? Or maybe shut your eyes when you see Flip on the ice? They guy can almost look like Datsyuk in the way he can control the puck.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Here we go again. Just as discussed in another gameday thread, the Wings sell out another arena that rarely has any attendance. No need to read past the first sentence of this article.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=200902...vid=DL|NHL|home

We are 1st in road attendance right now, s***tsburgh is at a very close 2nd.

Game Stats

Scoring Summary

Red Wings

1) Holmstrom (14) @ 14:44 1st Period; Assists from Lidstrom (17) and Rafalski (14); Even Strength

2) Holmstrom (15) @ 19:41 2nd Period; Assists from Lidstrom (18) and Datsyuk (22); Even Strength

3) Houdini (10) @ 05:51 3rd Period; Assists from The Todd (13) and Rafalski (15); Power Play

4) Helm Street (6) @ 19:08 3rd Period; Assist from Stuart (7); Even Strength - Empty Net

Coyotes

1) Lombardi (7) @ 05:53 2nd Period; Assists from Lang (13) and Yandle (14); Power Play

Penalty Summary

Red Wings (4 penalties for 8 minutes)

1) Abdelkader @ 08:58 1st Period, 2 minutes for interference

2) Lebda @ 04:15 2nd Period, 2 minutes for slashing

3) Helm @ 04:57 2nd Period, 2 minutes for roughing

4) Eaves @ 16:19 2nd Period, 2 minutes for interference

Coyotes (4 penalties for 8 minutes

1) Vrbata @ 07:15 1st Period, 2 minutes for holding

2) Doan @ 12:35 1st Period, 2 minutes for roughing

3) Jovanovski @ 09:09 2nd Period, 2 minutes for roughing

4) Doan @ 04:14 3rd Period, 2 minutes for interference

Total: 8 penalties for 16 minutes

Power Plays

Red Wings

5v4: 1-4, 07:20 minutes

5v3: None

4v3: None

Total: 1-4, 07:20 minutes

Coyotes

5v4: 0-3, 05:29 minutes

5v3: 1-1, 00:56 minutes

4v3: None

Total: 1-4, 06:25 minutes

Even Strength

Red Wings

5v5: 3-7, 45:58 minutes

4v4: 0-1, 00:17 minutes

3v3: None

Total: 3-8, 46:15 minutes

Coyotes

5v5: 0-7, 45:58 minutes

4v4: 0-1, 00:17 minutes

3v3: None

Total: 0-8, 46:15 minutes

Goaltender Summary

Red Wings

Jimmy Howard (W)

Time On Ice: EV - 45:51, PP - 07:20, SH - 06:25, Total - 59:36

Goals-Shots Against: 1st Period: 0-11, 2nd Period: 1-14, 3rd Period: 0-11, Total: 1-36

Empty Net time: EV: 00:24, PP: 00:00, SH: 00:00, 00:24 Total

Coyotes

Ilya Bryzgalov (L)

Time One Ice: EV - 45:50, PP - 06:25, SH - 07:20, Total - 59:35

Goals - Shots Against: 1st Period: 1-12, 2nd Period: 1-14, 3rd Period: 1-9, EN: 1-1, Total: 3-35

Empty Net: EV: 00:25, PP: 00:00, SH: 00:00, Total: 00:25

Shots On Goal

Red Wings: 36

Coyotes: 36

Final Score

Red Wings: 4

Coyotes: 1

Final/Regulation

3 Stars (as chosen by some random bloke in the arena, er, Attending Media)

1) DET Holmstrom

2) PHX Lang

3) DET Houdini

Season Records

Red Wings: 21-14-6, 48 pts (3rd in division, 9th in conference)

Coyotes: 25-14-4, 54 pts (2nd in division, 4th in conference)

Red Wings are 3 points back of 8th position, currently held by the LA Kings and 13 off of the conference leader the San Jose Sharks. Next game is on Tuesday against the Ducks (16-18-7, 39 pts).

Red Wings are 3 points back of 8th position, currently held by the LA Kings and 13 off of the conference leader the San Jose Sharks. Next game is on Tuesday against the Ducks (16-18-7, 39 pts).

Also, let's not forget that last season, Pittsburgh was a distant 12th place in the East in February, and ended up winning Lord Stanley.

Guest CaliWingsNut
What is Osgood's record against sub par teams this year?

what teams are "sub par" this year?

I'll admit to being one of those "select few". And I stand by that statement. I don't know how you interpreted that as "Howard can't beat over .500 Teams." I never stated that. Not once.

After tonight's Win, half of Howards Wins have come from Teams which are currently positioned to make the Play Offs, if they started today.

That includes Wins against Montreal, and the New York Rangers, both of which I consider to be "sub-par" Teams. The other Wins came two against Phoenix, (two very, very good Wins, with excellent performances by Howard), two against Vancouver, and one against Colorado.

I wouldn't go fitting the kid for his Cup Ring just yet, if I were you.

Once again. I stand by my statements. Just as I stood by my statements regarding Legace. And Conklin. Even in the face of the hordes of "told you so!!!!" fans who declared both of them the next Wings saviour in goal, based on a few Regular Season Wins.

hahahahah

Have you ever been wrong though?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Seriously? You don't think Flip is an offensive upgrade over Miller or May or whoever he is replacing? It sounds llike you have an illogical hate for Flip.

:rolleyes: Or maybe he just realizes that Flip is what he is, a .5 ppg player (at this point of his career).

so glad i got to go to this game. since ive gone to both wings games every year since 03 i got front row glass tickets right next to the net the wings attacked twice for 30$, i got to hear and see bert talk s*** to jovonoski on the faceoff every chance he got, got to see helm elbow doan in the face when doan had him pinned against the boards with a stick in his back, got to see ritola slam every chance he got. this was a great win, from my perspective we controlled this game from start to finish. our pk has really gotten very solid, sans the 5 on 3 goal. how weird must it be for the wings to travel across the country and receive a standing ovation after the win in a sea of red and white. and holy s***, what a save that was by jimmy. he was savage last night. glad to see helm get another, he worked to get that EN. did holmstrom leave the game with an injury? miller and malts were with the 1st line the whole period

lets go red wings !!

so glad i got to go to this game. since ive gone to both wings games every year since 03 i got front row glass tickets right next to the net the wings attacked twice for 30$, i got to hear and see bert talk s*** to jovonoski on the faceoff every chance he got, got to see helm elbow doan in the face when doan had him pinned against the boards with a stick in his back, got to see ritola slam every chance he got. this was a great win, from my perspective we controlled this game from start to finish. our pk has really gotten very solid, sans the 5 on 3 goal. how weird must it be for the wings to travel across the country and receive a standing ovation after the win in a sea of red and white. and holy s***, what a save that was by jimmy. he was savage last night. glad to see helm get another, he worked to get that EN. did holmstrom leave the game with an injury? miller and malts were with the 1st line the whole period

lets go red wings !!

I'm sure it was a great game to be at. Glad Wings won with you (and many other RW fans) in the house. It was a great game. I bet the warm weather out there helped lift their spirits as well. I would be estatic to get on a jet in 14 degree crappy weather and land 4 hours (or however long it takes to get there) and get off the jet with 72 degree sunshine.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
So we have 6 forwards in the team that are better than .5 ppg?

Typical biased response disregarding the context of the quote. Some guy said Filppula has really not helped the offense the way some had hoped for, so obviosuly he gets flamed. I point out that seeing as Filppula is NOT in our top 6 (when healthy) in point production, he really shouldnt be expected of that much. Quit trying to make arguements to defend your own homerism and lack of understanding regarding the matter. Filppula is NOT CURRENTLY A GAME BREAKING OFFENSIVE MACHINE. Heck right now he isnt even playing like a legit top 6er. Claming he has envamoured our offense with new vigor and skill is a straight out lie. Is he a solid upgrade and am I glad to have him back? Yes, of ******* course, but seriously don't flame me for mearly pointing out the fact. As of now Filppula cannot be counted on as a top 6 offesnive threat. Please notice how i say "counted" that does not mean incapable. He very well could step it up, the guy has the talent, but to say he has been all year is ridiculous and untrue.

He was damn better than .5 ppg in the playoffs last year.

Helm was damn better than a goal a game player last game. See how that works? If you honestly expect Filppula to be an offensive cog on this team then I dont know what to tell you. He is a great secondary scoring forward whose versataile and defensive, and VERY well may one day become the scorer you two make him as, but when a guy says he really hasent helped out the offense since returning I'm not going to lie and say he has.

A 23 game sample is a lot better than a 1 game sample. And you're putting words in my mouth, I'm not saying he is an offensive beast among the likes of datsyuk or Zetterberg or even Franzen, but gcom said that he's not an offensive threat not matter who he plays with which is straight retarded. It's impossible not to notice the kid when he's on the ice, give him a second line role with legit second line players (not the third/fourth line players he's pretty much been paired with his entire career) and he'll do great.

And saying he isn't playing like he should be in the top 6 is also pure bulls***. Again, try watching a game and not blindfolding yourself when Flip is on the ice, which is the only way you could possibly even dream up a conclusion like that.

I haven't seen anyone flaming you either.

scarecrow.jpg

Edited by Z and D for the C