LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS

NONE

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 19

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $51,704,543

BONUSES $0

CAP SPACE $5,095,457

We'll have about 5 millions availables... it depends if Berts, Williams, Eaves will be resigned and ow much!!

I hope Kenny will find a joung 2nd line forward... Frolov??? :rolleyes:

"Likely"?

I know it's hard for some to face, but just like the Hossa situation when everyone thought for sure we'd keep Hossa, Franzen and Hudler only a few of us had realistic expectations. Just like with Lidstrom. He stated on record before his last signing that he would be happy to just retire so he could raise his kids in Sweden [paraphrased]. The guy is 40 years old and has nothing else to prove. His elbow is ailing him and, as he stated before, he would be happy to retire.

It's my opinion (like the Hossa deal everyone thought he was a lock to stay in Detroit - only few would accept the fact that he was a rental) that Lidstrom is likely going to retire after his contract is up.

Edited by Miller Brew

Detroit would make a big mistake if they didn't do something with Lidstroms cap money, assuming he straight out retires, or takes a huge salary cut. Bertuzzi could and probably should be re-signed at like 2.5 million, sign Helm, Howard etc to short and cheap extentions. Wings should keep around 5-6 million and sign a big name player.

Kovie will never be a red wings... too expensive...

Why? Take 7 million of Lidstroms salary, give it to Kovelchuk, and sign all our rookies to cheap extensions. No one currently on the roster deserves a big pay raise anyways. Helm, Abby, Howard have earned extensions, but at no more money. Bertuzzi maybe deserves a 1 million raise, but other then that, Wings should have money to play with.

Edited by TheOwl

It's more likely that both Homer and Lids are back next year at a pay cut ($4-5m for Lids, $1m for Homer).

Helm will probably be bumped up to around $800k, same with Miller and Eaves. Abdelkader will probably stay the same ($850k), and Bert will probably get $1.5-2m.

Maltby will probably retire, and if Lilja isn't 100% the Wings may re-sign him at $500k just to keep him on the roster (on LTIR) in case he recovers. If he's not making any progress though, don't expect him to get re-signed.

Williams is probably gone, as are May and Leino (unless he starts to show up). We'll see how Williams and Leino play for the rest of the year, though. May could potentially stick around if he accepts league minimum again, but I doubt we'll keep him.

Edit: As for what we'll do with it, we won't get Kovalchuk. I could see us moving on Afinogenov, as he'll probably fetch around $3m and will be an extremely solid second liner. If that were to happen, I would be pretty happy.

Edited by Theophany

It's more likely that both Homer and Lids are back next year at a pay cut ($4-5m for Lids, $1m for Homer).

Helm will probably be bumped up to around $800k, same with Miller and Eaves. Abdelkader will probably stay the same ($850k), and Bert will probably get $1.5-2m.

Maltby will probably retire, and if Lilja isn't 100% the Wings may re-sign him at $500k just to keep him on the roster (on LTIR) in case he recovers. If he's not making any progress though, don't expect him to get re-signed.

Williams is probably gone, as are May and Leino (unless he starts to show up). We'll see how Williams and Leino play for the rest of the year, though. May could potentially stick around if he accepts league minimum again, but I doubt we'll keep him.

Edit: As for what we'll do with it, we won't get Kovalchuk. I could see us moving on Afinogenov, as he'll probably fetch around $3m and will be an extremely solid second liner. If that were to happen, I would be pretty happy.

$1 million for Red Wings best goal scorer? He's on pace for 32 goals...

Guest lilja4mvp

include filppula in a deal for kovalchuk and it all works out. or maybe cleary? does his NTC run out or is it through to the end of his contract?

include filppula in a deal for kovalchuk and it all works out. or maybe cleary? does his NTC run out or is it through to the end of his contract?

Kovy is a UFA at the end of this year. There's no "including" people into the deal. He walks at the end of the year if we trade for him, or else we just straight-up sign him.

We don't have the cash to sign him unless he takes a discount, though. You're more likely to see Afinogenov in the lineup or Hudler coming back.

Guest lilja4mvp

obviously it only works if ATL lets teams talk contract with him, and he's willing to work out a long term contract with a lower cap-hit than the contracts that he's currently discussing with ATL.

if he's strictly a UFA rental then detroit won't be a player at all.

Right, a role player like Danny Cleary except Holmer puts up more points. Cleary makes $3.5 million next season. Just sayin'...

Cleary isn't a role player. He does much more than sit in front of the goal.

Kinda like... PKing, and stuff.

Just saying.

Cleary isn't a role player. He does much more than sit in front of the goal.

Kinda like... PKing, and stuff.

Just saying.

Eaves and Miller PK and stuff, you think they should make $3.5 million?

Holmstrom $1 million (30+ goal scorer and a 40-50 point guy) is only worth $1 million per year? Really? I guess you could be right if Holland signed him to 8+ years. I'd rather have Holmer for $2+ million per for 1 or 2 years than $1 million for 8+ years. Just sayin'...

Too bad Holland couldn't have signed Franzen for $1 million per year. Some fans here seem to have this impractical idea that players will take 50%+ pay cut because they'll get to wear the Winged wheel in Detroit Motor City.

Eaves and Miller PK and stuff, you think they should make $3.5 million?

Holmstrom $1 million (30+ goal scorer and a 40-50 point guy) is only worth $1 million per year? Really? I guess you could be right if Holland signed him to 8+ years. I'd rather have Holmer for $2+ million per for 1 or 2 years than $1 million for 8+ years. Just sayin'...

Too bad Holland couldn't have signed Franzen for $1 million per year. Some fans here seem to have this impractical idea that players will take 50%+ pay cut because they'll get to wear the Winged wheel in Detroit Motor City.

Danny had come off back to back 20 goal seasons, his cap hit is 2.8 regardless of how much he makes overall, and plays all situations. Homer is turning 38, and really does try hard and stand in front of the net, but that's it. Holland wont offer Homer more then a million or so, it isnt smart buisness. And Franzen isnt even close to an example, he was coming off back to back beastly playoffs and played all situations too, along with being young.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Danny had come off back to back 20 goal seasons, his cap hit is 2.8 regardless of how much he makes overall, and plays all situations. Homer is turning 38, and really does try hard and stand in front of the net, but that's it. Holland wont offer Homer more then a million or so, it isnt smart buisness. And Franzen isnt even close to an example, he was coming off back to back beastly playoffs and played all situations too, along with being young.

Holmstrom is 36, how is he turning 38?

Cleary is one of my favorite players but my point is Cleary is a 20 goal scorer and makes $3.5 next year ($2.8 cap hit) and Holmstrom is had back to back 29 and 30 goals and is on pace for 32 goals this season. He could easily get a 1-year deal for $2.5m (or more) on the open market, but folks on LGW's think he's going to take a massive pay cut to stay in Detroit... Not gonna happen.

Btw, PKers can be had for $500k (see Eaves and Miller). So it's not like PKers can't be found... However, a 32 goal scorer isn't something that can just be had everyday. I'd be surprised if Holmer resigns for anything less than $1.9 million per year.

Edited by Miller Brew

Cleary is one of my favorite players but my point is Cleary is a 20 goal scorer and makes $3.5 next year ($2.8 cap hit) and Holmstrom is had back to back 29 and 30 goals and is on pace for 32 goals this season. He could easily get a 1-year deal for $2.5m (or more) on the open market, but folks on LGW's think he's going to take a massive pay cut to stay in Detroit... Not gonna happen.

Btw, PKers can be had for $500k (see Eaves and Miller). So it's not like PKers can't be found... However, a 32 goal scorer isn't something that can just be had everyday. I'd be surprised if Holmer resigns for anything less than $1.9 million per year.

I agree. Homer is worth every penny of his contract. He gets defenseman and goaltenders off their game, and is vital to our team. If anyone is going to a game soon, then watch Holmstrom when he is on the ice. You will see how involved he is on every play, in a way that you can't see on TV.

His goals all come from deflecting the puck in the net literally right in front of the goalie. That's MUCH less impressive than 32 goals from other spots on the ice. Comparing deflecting the puck (albeit still not easy) to being a "real" goal scorer doesn't mean they're worth the same amount of money.

His goals all come from deflecting the puck in the net literally right in front of the goalie. That's MUCH less impressive than 32 goals from other spots on the ice. Comparing deflecting the puck (albeit still not easy) to being a "real" goal scorer doesn't mean they're worth the same amount of money.

Are you ******* kidding me? Lol.

Deflection goals = less points the team earns for wins. I don't think I laughed this hard since... well since the "Howard doesn't win against playoff teams" debate.

Anyhow... cool story, bro. :wink: