• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/5 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Ducks 4

Rate this topic

I don't remember any cheapshots.

The Wings looked so unmotivated, that a simple bodycheck from the other team could be considered a cheapshot, since the Wings appeared to be playing a different sport than Anaheim was. Not much hitting out there from the team whatsoever.

Kind of sad when you consider that they have 3 checking lines, yet don't play hard every game.

The only one that I can remember right now was the blatant interference call on Helm at the blue line (sorry for the lack of examples). I don't know whether you consider that a cheap shot or not, but I personally didn't like it.

But the pro enforcer crowd knows that because a few player wrestled on the ice that we really won the game?

Hey, you finally got an avatar. Congratulations! :thumbup:

Oh and you obviously didn't read my whole post. I never said or suggested anything of the sort.

The one good thing in this game is that the Wings actually bullied the Ducks for a change. Brookbank and Ryan both pussed out before their fights got started.

I know the anti-enforcer posters are going to tell me that we lost the game, but we didn't lose because we played tough. We lost because our skilled players like to take nights off.

Hopefully, the tide has turned as far as the toughness of this rivalry goes.

I really don't care which team is "tougher". I care which team beats the other in the end. The Wings ended up doing that despite the "***** euro" team getting "bullied" by the "big bad ducks".

Hey, you finally got an avatar. Congratulations! :thumbup:

Oh and you obviously didn't read my whole post. I never said or suggested anything of the sort.

It was a true red letter day for me.

And really I just didn't understand that part of your post. Anyone will tell you that we lost the game regardless of camp, because, well, we did. :ph34r:

Laughable. He's not even the best winger on his team.

Moving on, when guys like Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Rafalski are all making terrible giveaways, this team will never win. Thank goodness Rafalski's is the only one that cost a goal or last night would have been even more lopsided.

Lidstrom looked terrible on the giveaway though, either he is really hurting or he just didn't try to play defense on that play at all.

The players who make a lot of money need to make big plays. They simply aren't. When we really need them, they aren't getting the job done.

I meant best all-around winger in the league, and I still stand by that. I don't think you'll find a more complete winger in the NHL right now. The guy can score with the best of them but he's just as good in his own end as well and he out-hustles nearly everyone on the ice every game.

And yeah, we're never winning our way at a pace that easily will have us hit 100 points again by seasons end. We've got 48 points in 42 games with a heavily depleted lineup. With half the season left and more guys coming back every week from here on out it seems, I don't think we'll have a problem hitting 100 points. I also predict Lids, Rafs and Dats finishing really strong offensively and in general.

It took awhile for Lids to come on last year as well. At this time last year, Lidstrom had 5 goals and 25 points. This year he's got 1 goal and 20 points. He finished last year with 16 goals for 53 points. So sure, it's slower this year, but he's also got a far weaker team to work with every night. Last year he was making plays to the strongest offensive team in the league by a mile. We were shaking teams up quicker as well because we could simply rip goals on them and our goaltending was weaker so they pressed and the games were just more wide open offensively. This year we lost a lot of that offense and half of the guys left have been injured, so everyone's had to focus on defense a bit more than last year when we had all the firepower in the world. It doesn't really help anyone's stats because the bottom line about hockey is that it's a team game. We've got a weak team right now. I like the team for what it is, but it's weak in the goal-scoring department, no question about it.

But we've got 48 points 42 games in with a brutally depleted team. That's averaging out to about 1.14 points per game. Last year we finished with 112 points for an average of 1.37 points per game. And again, that team was stacked and didn't struggle nearly as much with injuries. This team is on pace for 93 points, but again, you've got to figure that we'll improve as the season goes on and we get guys back. Do you really think we would've lost some of these games if we weren't missing Franzen, Clearly, Z and Kronwall? You think Columbus would beat us 1-0 if we had even any two of those guys back? I sure don't.

I think we'll hit 100. Barely, but I think we'll get there.

People just need to relax.

The one good thing in this game is that the Wings actually bullied the Ducks for a change. Brookbank and Ryan both pussed out before their fights got started.

I know the anti-enforcer posters are going to tell me that we lost the game, but we didn't lose because we played tough. We lost because our skilled players like to take nights off.

Hopefully, the tide has turned as far as the toughness of this rivalry goes.

I'm not an anti-fighting guy at all, but I don't like seeing it in games like last night. It really proves nothing when we can barely put the puck in the net and it's had a tendency of leading to injuries when guys who probably shouldn't be fighting get into it. As decimated as this team has been, the last thing we need is more injuries in stupid games like last night. You don't make smart decisions in games like that. Not worth the risk if you ask me. I think Lilja probably feels the same way.

Edited by gcom007

I'm not an anti-fighting guy at all, but I don't like seeing it in games like last night. It really proves nothing when we can barely put the puck in the net and it's had a tendency of leading to injuries when guys who probably shouldn't be fighting get into it. As decimated as this team has been, the last thing we need is more injuries in stupid games like last night. You don't make smart decisions in games like that. Not worth the risk if you ask me. I think Lilja probably feels the same way.

Injuries are a part of hockey.

When players allow themselves to get bullied because they're afraid of injuries, that means they're a ***** team. I'm glad our guys don't play by the same philosophy you think they should be playing by.

They stood up for themselves last night. That's all I was talking about with my posts. It'd be nice if they could put the puck in the net, but the fights didn't prevent that from happening.

With all the injuries the Wings have had, I'm pretty surprised they are doing as well as they are. Take the top 7 -9 players off any other team at the same time....where do you think they would be in the standings.

Glad I had a commitment last night that was unavoidable. Shut the tv off when the Wings couldn't clear their defensive zone and the Ducks got a shorty....on our PP. WTF, really?

I think the Wings will be on fire as the playoffs draw near...a healthy, rested roster is the ticket. In the meantime, I'll stick my head back up my ass and cheer my team on, thankyouverymuch.

edit: i remember the 70's and 80's. this season is a mosquito bite compared to that era. scratch a little and move on.

We need to get over it...yes, we're missing great guys but it's not the entire top 1-7 or 1-9 players that are out. This team needs to man up and play. A previous poster pointed out, and I agree, that we sucked before the injuries! I think we were under .500 when the entire team was playing - I'm tired of the excuses and hearing "wait til everyone's healthy" - it proves NOTHING.

When players allow themselves to get bullied because they're afraid of injuries, that means they're a ***** team. I'm glad our guys don't play by the same philosophy you think they should be playing by.

They stood up for themselves last night. That's all I was talking about with my posts. It'd be nice if they could put the puck in the net, but the fights didn't prevent that from happening.

When have they ever let themselves get bullied?

Sometimes teams play a more physical game, but I have never seen the Wings LET themselves get bullied just so they won't get injured.

I think you're taking it to extremes, but if we're going to run down that road, I'll say that I think we only confirmed that we are a ***** team after last night. The fights were pathetic, so what did it prove in the end? Again, I'm all for fights, but last night was just a silly little game full of silly little fights. I'm just glad one of the guys who shouldn't be fighting didn't get hurt in the process. This isn't the 90's. I wish we had more guys on our team that weren't a liability sans the gloves, but that's just the way it is right now.

And besides, don't be a homer. The Wings aren't so different from other teams with their fair share of cheapshots behind the playing and "bullying." They may not be the worst, but we're no doormat either...

When have they ever let themselves get bullied?

Sometimes teams play a more physical game, but I have never seen the Wings LET themselves get bullied just so they won't get injured.

Against Philly a few years ago. Also against Anaheim in the playoffs in 2007 and Calgary that same year.

There's other examples too, but I'm not ready to give you a dissertation on it. You should know better. The Wings have backed down from fights in the past with the sissy lineups they put out there.

That's where the whole PP is our enforcer crap came from.

Other than Meech, who was fighting last night that shouldn't have been (although I did like Meech fighting- he stood up for himself after a big/dangerous hit)? When our team is getting pushed around, I like to see guys stick up for their themselves and their teammates. Also, the guys were obviously frustrated at their play and showing it.