• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Ville Leino Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

I saw a nice flash of the old Ville last night. He over skated the puck, fumbled around for a second, and than got knocked right on his ass. I didn't know it was him at the time but when I figured it out I just had to laugh...

Your care less attitude about the fact that he left doesn't help your case.

Care less? It's support. Hurr.

Most would rather not see him there, especially with the logo. I was afraid they would make a jersey for him which would have been utter blaspheme to Wings fans everywhere. I respectfully agree to disagree on this as well.

I would also rather see him here, but he went to a team that I have a soft spot for anyway so I'm going to support him in his endeavors (unless it is against Detroit).

I did dig up your one post (related to Leino at least) from the Leino trade thread...

While you did indeed dislike the move, that sounds a lot more like Quincey-inspired fear than actually thinking it was 'idiotic'.

I also dug up this post from you regarding possibly trading Williams...

So you didn't want to get rid of Williams back then either. Guess you're not the genius you pretend to be.

What the people now criticizing the Leino move are failing to recognize is the more or less complete lack of options we had. You act like it was all about us giving up on Leino. Like Holland couldn't wait to throw the guy away, like he was sitting in his office saying "man, Leino sucks, I'm going to trade his lazy ass".

We had to trim about $2 million in cap space. (Or around 1.5 million after May was waived. ~$625k factoring in Maltby going on IR.) Even you thought we needed all the offense we could get, so moving Williams wasn't a realistic option. Miller and Eaves didn't make enough, and were playing too well besides.

So we had basically 3 'options':

1. Get rid of Leino

2. Get rid of Lebda

3. Get rid of Lilja

Considering that we needed improvements on defense and the PK, bringing Lilja back was certain. But coming back after a year off, he was an enormous question mark, so we couldn't get rid of Lebda either. So it was a choice between trying to improve the defense, or keep an underperforming Leino (who also seemed to be growing increasingly discontent here).

You can NOT judge a decision based solely on hindsight. Was it really a mistake? In the same sense as something like passing on Bure in the '89 draft was, perhaps. But we can't say how it might have worked out if Leino had stayed. Hell, he might have gotten fed up and went back to Finland for all we know. Perhaps he really isn't suited to our system. I'm not sure why you think that's such a negative thing. Our system is complex, but also very effective. So what if every once in a while we get a player that doesn't do well here, there are plenty enough players who do. Certainly no reason to knock the most successful style in hockey (perhaps even hockey history if you factor in the Red Army teams). Maybe he wasn't the best fit with our players. We had a lot of guys that don't seem to shoot as often as they should, and Leino has the same problem...not the best recipe for success. Maybe it's the coaches. Our coach is among the best in the game, who cares if they aren't perfect for every player in the world.

So let's finally put this ridiculous thread to rest. Leino wasn't working out here, and may never have. Holland made the right deicsion at the time. So it worked out great for Philly. Who cares? You can't say that it hurt us at all, so just let it go. It's not like we wasted a 1st round pick or traded something to get him in the first place.

Getting redundant as to Holland did this did that. The thread is about Leino not Holland .Leino was amazing too bad it wasn't here end of story. I wish him all the best and I hope he does so because his play making is exciting to watch; and he able to take hard thumping as well; not like our pretty boy Flip and a host of other floaters on this team.

Getting redundant as to Holland did this did that. The thread is about Leino not Holland .Leino was amazing too bad it wasn't here end of story. I wish him all the best and I hope he does so because his play making is exciting to watch; and he able to take hard thumping as well; not like our pretty boy Flip and a host of other floaters on this team.

Leino played well during 2008-09, so much that Babcock said that he was the best player that he ever had to send back down to the minors. For whatever reason, Leino lost complete confidence with Detroit this season and it showed. He regained it with the Flyers.

Guest Heaten

I hope Ville continues to play this good. I'll be keeping my eye on him next season for sure. Way to go Ville

Also noticed that he's quickly becoming a fan favorite in Philly. See all the signs fans were holding up to the camera last night supporting him.