• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DMAC 25

Kovalchuk headed out of Atlanta

Rate this topic

The idea is that they move Campbell, Sharp or Huet in return for Kovalchuk. Kovy obviously wouldn't re-sign, it would purely be the ultimate playoff run.

That would be a mistake by Chicago's front office. Sharp is the type of player you need to win the Cup.

I can see Chicago dealing for him. They need to get rid of some pieces to cut down on salary next year anyway. Don't forget Atlanta was very high on Campbell the year he signed with Chicago. Campbell, Versteeg, and picks for Kovalchuk? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. They'd look unstoppable heading into the playoffs but you never know.

It's on for sure per Bob McKenzie: "RDS reports that Don Waddell met Ilya Kovalchuk today and told him to expect a trade in the coming days. Now it's on."

Kiss the Thrashers franchise goodbye. I don't see how they can be there much longer now.

Here's a propsal just for fun:

Under the assumption that we can get Kovalchuk to agree to a front-loaded 10 year deal that averages out the cap hit to 8 million per year:

To Det:

Ilya Kovalchuk $6.4M Cap Hit

To Atl:

Johan Franzen $3.955M Cap Hit

Daniel Cleary $2.8M Cap Hit

Ville Leino $0.8M Cap Hit

Brett Lebda $0.65M Cap Hit

Detroit's roster would look like this under the cap this year:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Kovalchuk-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Miller-Abdelkader-May

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Meech

Osgood

Howard

and the salary breakdown would look like this

PLAYER CAP HIT

F Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

F Ilya Kovalchuk $6,389,300

F Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

F Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

F Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

F Kris Draper $1,583,333

F Todd Bertuzzi $1,500,000

F Justin Abdelkader $850,000

F Darren Helm $599,444

F Drew Miller $525,000

F Brad May $500,000

F Patrick Eaves $500,000

D Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

D Brian Rafalski $6,000,000

D Brad Stuart $3,750,000

D Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

D Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

D Derek Meech $483,333

G Chris Osgood $1,416,666

G Jimmy Howard $716,666

—

—

ROSTER SIZE 20

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

TEAM CAP NUMBER $54,197,075

CAP SPACE $2,602,925

Assuming that Lidstrom is going to take a significant pay cut next season (we'll use 5 as a base figure), this leave approximately 5 million in cap space (2.45 from Lids, 2.6 from remaining cap) to accommodate for Kovalchuk's increased cap hit (~6.4 up to 8.0), plus any raises with a bit of flexibility regarding our 4th line situation.

There is absolutely no way that Atlanta gets a better offer than this because they gain two excellent top 6 forwards, a project forward and 3rd pairing D-man with tons of NHL experience and a cheap price tag. Franzen alone would be enough to make Waddell sit up and pay attention I would think.

Detroit wins because they solidify their top 6 as probably the best in the league in gaining one of the game's elite goal scorers and have an exceptional 3rd line to boot.

Before you flame me, remember 2 things: This is for fun AND is under the assumption that Kovalchuk will sign the afformentioned deal.

Thoughts?

It's very clear that he is demanding that max contract from Atlanta because that's what it take for him to stay on that sorry ass team for the rest of his life.

I bet anything that once he hits UFA if he does, that he will be getting a deal like Zetterberg, AO, etc. Hell I'd ask the max from Atlanta too. He's given them how long to try to become a contender?

Here's a propsal just for fun:

Under the assumption that we can get Kovalchuk to agree to a front-loaded 10 year deal that averages out the cap hit to 8 million per year:

To Det:

Ilya Kovalchuk $6.4M Cap Hit

To Atl:

Johan Franzen $3.955M Cap Hit

Daniel Cleary $2.8M Cap Hit

Ville Leino $0.8M Cap Hit

Brett Lebda $0.65M Cap Hit

Detroit's roster would look like this under the cap this year:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Kovalchuk-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Miller-Abdelkader-May

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Meech

Osgood

Howard

and the salary breakdown would look like this

PLAYER CAP HIT

F Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

F Ilya Kovalchuk $6,389,300

F Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

F Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

F Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

F Kris Draper $1,583,333

F Todd Bertuzzi $1,500,000

F Justin Abdelkader $850,000

F Darren Helm $599,444

F Drew Miller $525,000

F Brad May $500,000

F Patrick Eaves $500,000

D Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

D Brian Rafalski $6,000,000

D Brad Stuart $3,750,000

D Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

D Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

D Derek Meech $483,333

G Chris Osgood $1,416,666

G Jimmy Howard $716,666

�"

�"

ROSTER SIZE 20

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

TEAM CAP NUMBER $54,197,075

CAP SPACE $2,602,925

Assuming that Lidstrom is going to take a significant pay cut next season (we'll use 5 as a base figure), this leave approximately 5 million in cap space (2.45 from Lids, 2.6 from remaining cap) to accommodate for Kovalchuk's increased cap hit (~6.4 up to 8.0), plus any raises with a bit of flexibility regarding our 4th line situation.

There is absolutely no way that Atlanta gets a better offer than this because they gain two excellent top 6 forwards, a project forward and 3rd pairing D-man with tons of NHL experience and a cheap price tag. Franzen alone would be enough to make Waddell sit up and pay attention I would think.

Detroit wins because they solidify their top 6 as probably the best in the league in gaining one of the game's elite goal scorers and have an exceptional 3rd line to boot.

Before you flame me, remember 2 things: This is for fun AND is under the assumption that Kovalchuk will sign the afformentioned deal.

Thoughts?

Won't work. Franzen hasn't even really played this season, what team would trade for a guy w/ that kind of injury? Clearly has a NTC. The rest of the guys suck, mind as well throw in draft picks.

If you want to trade for Kovalchuk it's got to be something like this.

Zetterberg for Kovalchuk. Maybe an exchange of picks as well.

Kronwall, Ericsson, Flip, Picks, Helm or something, and I don't even think that would be enough to cover the cap #'s.

Your best bet is to wait for UFA if he hits it or trade Zetterberg (which I would totally consider).

MAYBE they'd take Franzen, Krownwall, Ericsson, picks, but then you are kind of overpaying IMO.

Most likely its not detroit, but say if it were, who would we have to give up, not counting the 1.5 mill we need to move for the mule and the pilon, but and i know alot of you are going to cry, but in a salary cap world i am sorry but cleary and filpulla are not worth it, between the two they tie up 5.8 million, throw in a lebda and or a pick and get him here, then next year you have freed yourself of almost 6 million in cap space, which should be able to replace one of them and or another defensemen if lidstorm retires,, all kinds of possibilities, but we still have the ozzie and howie, then ericsson, rafalski, stewie, kronner, zetts, dats, franzen, homer, drapes, leino, eaves, miller, helm, if resigned - bert and williams, just tons of possibilities, but really cleary and filps kinda suck and some picks