• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FunkedUp

Lilja sent to GR

Rate this topic

Lilja would be perfect on the third pairing right now. Our 3rd pairing has usually been E/Lebda, which doesn't mix at all. They're both prone to turnovers and both are offensive defenseman. That's suicidal. Look how well Janik looked when he came up. A pairing I always believe should be balanced, especially when it's a third pairing who cough pucks up.

Lilja with E will allow E to play his game and will be back to make up for his mistakes far more than Lebda or Meech ever will. If we want a defensive dman, he is it.

:thumbup: Well said.

Edited by ltgator333

Lilja would be perfect on the third pairing right now. Our 3rd pairing has usually been E/Lebda, which doesn't mix at all. They're both prone to turnovers and both are offensive defenseman. That's suicidal. Look how well Janik looked when he came up. A pairing I always believe should be balanced, especially when it's a third pairing who cough pucks up.

Lilja with E will allow E to play his game and will be back to make up for his mistakes far more than Lebda or Meech ever will. If we want a defensive dman, he is it.

Here's the tricky thing about Lilja. He was the whipping boy of the D after the Ducks OT debacle. He wins the cup with them in 08. He re-signs when Kenny doesn't think Stuart will be back, and Lils even comes back at a discount. Stuart did re-sign a day later, and we had too many D-men. Lils wins a job in camp, Quincey gets waived...then later in the year Lils gets knocked out with a concussion and is just now getting better.

What's my point you may ask. When he comes back, he is playing for a job next year. From the sounds of it, he is well liked in the dressing room and fills an important role on this team. If he comes back and plays well, what do the wings do with him in the offseason? Right now their D under contract are: Rafi, Stewie, Kronner, E, and Kindl. Those 5 are basically guaranteed a spot. If Lids comes back, that is 6. Does Lilja fit on this team? I think they need him, but I doubt Kenny wants Kindl riding the pine and stunting his development. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kindl isn't a stay-at-home, PK type D-man like Lilja. So what do they do?

Furthermore, when people get pissed at athletes for taking more money and term on a contract, situations like Lilja's is why they do it. You never know when your career could be in jeopardy.

Edited by South Dakota wings fan

I put this in the other Lilja thread too. But if there is a chance the Kronner won't play Tuesday is there any chance that Lilja will be called up a couple games early???

No, his conditioning stint was extended for Wednesdays and Fridays games.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/20..._andreas_l.html

Red Wings defenseman Andreas Lilja feels good after two games with Griffins

By Michael Zuidema | The Grand Rapids Press

February 05, 2010, 11:10PM

Andreas Lilja has skated the past two games with the Griffins.GRAND RAPIDS -- As far as Andreas Lilja is concerned, so far, so good.

The Detroit Red Wings defenseman skated in just his second game in 11 months in the Grand Rapids Griffins’ 6-3 win against the Toronto Marlies on Friday night at Van Andel Arena.

Lilja said he’s felt no complications from the concussion that sidelined him on Feb. 28, 2009.

His first game back was the Griffins’ 5-3 loss at Rockford on Wednesday night and he went scoreless with a minus-1 rating. Against Toronto, Lilja received a nice ovation from the crowd when he was announced during the starting lineups and saw plenty of time throughout the game, but finished with no shots and an even rating.

Lilja has no idea if the Red Wings will appeal for an additional two games on this conditioning stint. If they don’t, Lilja’s final game with the Griffins will be Saturday night against Houston.

In the meantime, it’s just a matter of getting his legs under him, taking it one day at a time and hoping he’s headed in the right direction.

"Today I was more tired than I was the other game, I think. I just didn’t have any legs," Lilja said. "But that’s probably just the way it’s supposed to go, I don’t know. I started to feel better in the third."

"I think I was so pumped the last game (against Rockford), that it was easier to go out."

Lilja wasn’t happy that the Griffins nearly gave up a four-goal advantage against Toronto. The Griffins jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first period, but the Marlies scored three times in the third before Grand Rapids could score two more times to put the game away.

Lilja described it as "unnecessary exciting."

"We played a really good game in the first, but the game should have been over from that point on," he said. "We messed it up and let them get too close, but we took care of business at the end and that’s the important thing."

Grand Rapids coach Curt Fraser hasn’t been surprised by Lilja’s strong play, even though he’s only been back for two games.

"He’s an NHL player. He’s not only good on the ice and gives us that big lift we need on the back end, but off the ice he’s a leader," Fraser said. "He’s been doing a great job for us. I wish we could keep him the whole year."

I put this in the other Lilja thread too. But if there is a chance the Kronner won't play Tuesday is there any chance that Lilja will be called up a couple games early???

Anything is possible. Meech was sent down for a conditioning stint a few years ago after being a healthy scratch for a long time in Detroit. He was re-called early due to an injury in Detroit. Same thing with Joey MacDonald when he was the third goalie in Detroit. Dom pulled a groin muscle and Joey went back before his stint was scheduled to be done.

That being said, it is unlikely in Lilja's case since there are still salary cap issues with his return, I believe. Someone else has to go first-not just a short term injury.

Edited by GROwl

Lils really looked great out there last night. I have to say, seeing him on the PP, as someone said above, is really strange.

He was playing well, a bit physical, blocking shots, and only a couple of bonehead moves. I got worried in the 3rd because one of the Stars tried to fight him, but the refs separated them before anything happened.

I think he's about ready to head back up to the big club.

-------------

On a side note, TKO didn't play, which I was kind of disappointed in.

I know he took a pretty good hit Saturday night into the boards, and he just shook it off and went on. I'd say that was a pretty good sign.