• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Marty Barry

Do we really stand a chance?

Rate this topic

Do the Wings really stand a chance to win the Cup this year? Is this just a feeling out our prospects type of year until we can get our budget under control? I would love to believe that once everybody is healthy that we could do it, but I really have my doubts. What do you think?

Oh definitely. Compare our roster to that which won the Cup a couple years ago.

The differences:

Hudler 13g 29a

Sammuelson 11g 29a

Drake 3g 3a

Downey 0g 3a

Kopecky 5g 7a

Chelios 3g 9a

Total 25 goals, 71 assists

Hasek

replaced with:

Bertuzzi 15g 15a

Williams 3g 5a

Helm 8g 8a

May 0g 1a

Eaves 8g 7a

Miller 7g 7a

Ericsson 3g 7a

Howard

total: 44 goals, 50 assists (these aren't prorated numbers to fit an 82 game season. This is just now.)

Well that and the core is two years older, but this is the same core that took the team to Game 7 of the SCF only months ago. Trust me, nobody wants to verse the Wings in the playoffs.

Edited by Echolalia

i would take sammy over williams, he's just better, i bitched about him when he played here but now i wish we had him back. Hudler and Bert is kind of a toss up with what bert has done this year but hudler was a better play maker and scorer. I would take Helm over drake because of age and speed but drake could lay people out. So that one is a toss up. The core will get better and get back to what it was at.

The Wings just need to get to the playoffs. Then anything can happen. No team wants to face the Wings in the post-season. The cup still goes through Detroit.

Backed.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have any faith - then why bother watching?

If the Wings can collectively man up and make a run at the playoffs they're going to be a tough out as their play will have to be at a high level consistently just to make it. I think the Wings would do well to be a dark horse team this year rather than a clear cut favorite.

No. They are playing like excrement. I wonder sometimes if they really care about the playoffs anyway. Only two guys on the roster haven't won a Cup (Eaves, Bertuzzi) and only Williams hasn't been there in the last three seasons (May and Miller with Anaheim). They've got nothing to play for and are probably burned out. Missing the playoffs might just be good for them. Playing the way they have recently they certainly don't deserve to be there.

Do the Wings really stand a chance to win the Cup this year? Is this just a feeling out our prospects type of year until we can get our budget under control? I would love to believe that once everybody is healthy that we could do it, but I really have my doubts. What do you think?

The only thing i have to say to this...everyone loves a cinderella story:D

The team will be fine. When they get everyone back, and they all get their games legs going again, they'll look more like the Wings we've come to expect over the years. I'd be scared to face this team in the post season this year. They may not have the fire power they've had last year, but they've improved so much on their defensive play last year. The Wings will be fine. I'd imagine the Sharks and Hawks are just hoping the Wings move up to 4th or 5th in the standings, to avoid them in the first round.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Oh definitely. Compare our roster to that which won the Cup a couple years ago.

The differences:

Hudler 13g 29a

Sammuelson 11g 29a

Drake 3g 3a

Downey 0g 3a

Kopecky 5g 7a

Chelios 3g 9a

Total 25 goals, 71 assists

Hasek

replaced with:

Bertuzzi 15g 15a

Williams 3g 5a

Helm 8g 8a

May 0g 1a

Eaves 8g 7a

Miller 7g 7a

Ericsson 3g 7a

Howard

total: 44 goals, 50 assists (these aren't prorated numbers to fit an 82 game season. This is just now.)

Well that and the core is two years older, but this is the same core that took the team to Game 7 of the SCF only months ago. Trust me, nobody wants to verse the Wings in the playoffs.

I'm sorry, I normally agree with your posts, and actually agree with the end part, but those stats are meaningless, seeing as the way you're stating them, Datsyuk and Zetterberg's level of play was held constant.

With that being said, of course this roster has the talent to make it far in the POs and even win the cup, the question is whether or not they have the energy or the drive. Currently they do not. This is not an agree or disagree statement. I am not saying they can't turn it in a higher gear come PO time, but if they continue to play the way they have all season, they will not make it past the first round barringa monumental collapse.

It's hard to make it to the Finals 3 years in a row (I think the Islanders were the last to do it).

The team just looks spent and even if they make the playoffs, I don't see them getting past everyone to win it. My answer is no.

On paper the team is still good, sure. But that doesn't mean squat on the ice. We had great teams on paper many seasons that we were bounced out of the first round.

I'm sorry, I normally agree with your posts, and actually agree with the end part, but those stats are meaningless, seeing as the way you're stating them, Datsyuk and Zetterberg's level of play was held constant.

With that being said, of course this roster has the talent to make it far in the POs and even win the cup, the question is whether or not they have the energy or the drive. Currently they do not. This is not an agree or disagree statement. I am not saying they can't turn it in a higher gear come PO time, but if they continue to play the way they have all season, they will not make it past the first round barringa monumental collapse.

Actually, I agree wholeheartedly. I took the OP's question as 'is this team skilled enough to win the Cup', and didn't really focus on whether they're hungry enough/energetic enough to do so. We're both on the same page, I think.

Like others have said, the talent is there but the will has to be as well.

The big question mark: Can Howard perform under playoff pressure?

I think yes. And if not, we know Ozzie can.

Honestly, even through all the frustration and disappointment, is there any team that can beat Detroit in the playoffs easily? No. San Jose is the best team in the league and they can't.

The only team that really poses a threat to Detroit in the West is Chicago.

The thing with the regular season is that you have to depend on other teams to lose. In the playoffs, it's just between one team against the other, that's all that matters. One on one over a 7 game series I don't see any team except Chicago that really scares me.

In the East? Pittsburgh and Washington.

If the Wings make playoffs they'll make a lot of noise.